Capt_Ahab1776

Random mode still the gold standard for stats?

15 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles

Was wondering if random mode is still considered the gold standard for stats? I’ve read lots of people unhappy with the current state of random. Yet for ones who are competitive and working on improving their stats, random mode is still the most looked to stat. WR, PR, and damage. I may be out of the loop, it may have switched to rank, CB, and Kots. 
I know it seems when individual performance stats, it’s random mode that seems to be the go to mode.

[RLGN]
Members
16,607 posts
29,037 battles
45 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Was wondering if random mode is still considered the gold standard for stats? I’ve read lots of people unhappy with the current state of random. Yet for ones who are competitive and working on improving their stats, random mode is still the most looked to stat. WR, PR, and damage. I may be out of the loop, it may have switched to rank, CB, and Kots. 
I know it seems when individual performance stats, it’s random mode that seems to be the go to mode.

Played fifteen Randoms last week in destroyers...

Somers, (four straight loses, one win.)

Smaland, (five wins.)

Daring, (five wins.)

Generally, WoWs Numbers listed me as a Super Unicum. Cool, right?

Except my damage in the majority of those games was so bad, (sub 10k in seven of the ten Smaland and Daring games,) that it listed my PR as not just poor, but BAD.

Remind me again why exactly I should give the least damn, or shake of a fat rodent’s bottom about things like PR?

I won the majority of my games.

Carried, influenced by me, whatever, the games were wins. In the end, that’s what matters to me.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles

Random still seems to be the mode people base stats on. When people are going for WR, PR, damage, XP for a ship. It’s random mode. A lot of clans who have performance based requirements it’s based on random mode stats. Nothing wrong with that at all. The most looked at stats for self improvement, random mode.

Yet for all its imperfections and changing meta. Random  mode still seems to be the gold standard as far as statistics are concerned.

Not meaning it to be argumentative. Just a observation. I agree, I feel as the game has aged the meta has changed as far as more people moving up the tiers quickly, bypassing the grinds that used to be associated with moving up. Random is still the go to mode for looking at for player performance.

If a person is interested in statistics.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

CBs and KOTS tell you more about the clan than the individual player. Same reason clans also want to look at your solo Random stats. if you're playing with others you can get carried. Random and Ranked gameplay tell you how a player plays. Obviously straight WR can be manipulated, but there's no way to fake good stats over a couple thousand battles across all tiers and types while playing solo. People say you can't judge based on stats, what they usually mean is one or two stats aren't a good indicator. But if you look at WR as well as number of battles and what tiers are played as well as average damage and K/D you're going to get a pretty good picture of how good at the game someone is solely on their own merits. If someone has 1K battles in T10 BBs with above average damage and below average WR you know they sit in the back sniping and have no idea how to position properly. That's why Randoms are still the benchmark, if you can do well there by yourself consistently you're doing something right. Now whether you should judge a person based on their stats is a different question, but if you want to join a competitive clan that's what they're going to look at to make sure you didn't just buy a couple high tier premiums and put in an application because KOTS looked fun.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,531 posts
12,897 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Played fifteen Randoms last week in destroyers...

Somers, (four straight loses, one win.)

Smaland, (five wins.)

Daring, (five wins.)

Generally, WoWs Numbers listed me as a Super Unicum. Cool, right?

Except my damage in the majority of those games was so bad, (sub 10k in seven of the ten Smaland and Daring games,) that it listed my PR as not just poor, but BAD.

Remind me again why exactly I should give the least damn, or shake of a fat rodent’s bottom about things like PR?

I won the majority of my games.

Carried, influenced by me, whatever, the games were wins. In the end, that’s what matters to me.

historicalquotes #historical #quotes #guys | Clint eastwood, Clint,  Spaghetti western

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

The random battles statistics don't tell the whole story.
Gotta look at the rest of the available information, including the last two weeks or so, to get a broader picture.

I think it is best to look at all available information.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,825 posts
24,361 battles

Closed beta tester here:

Honest opinion.

A high PR indicates a player that can consistently  average high damage.

An average or above average win rate indicates a higher skilled player who can carry sub-par teammates and/or divisions alot.

I am a 48.9 w/r dd main. As such I cannot consistently get high average damage games due to my aggressive playstyle.

Since I'm usually aggressive,  I have a lot harder time influencing a match, or carrying. 

The last 3 clan battle seasons, I am averaging a 70% W/R....

Mainly cruiser player with a fill in for dd or bb....

Communication and map awareness are 2 very important items for success. 

Randoms almost allways lacks a feeling of a team fighting for a common goal. 

So by my example I would say randoms are a much better determination of HIGH skill player ability.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles

Thank you everyone for the input. I was aiming more for the random mode itself as still being the indicator mode people use. Even with the recent change in meta. The common complaints about how it is not as fun as it was.

Wasn’t meaning to sound like I was dishing on a higher statistical player compared to another. Just random mode is still the lens used opposed to clan based mode. In respects to how a person may grade themselves.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,825 posts
24,361 battles

Thank you everyone for the input. I was aiming more for the random mode itself as still being the indicator mode people use. Even with the recent change in meta. The common complaints about how it is not as fun as it was.

Wasn’t meaning to sound like I was dishing on a higher statistical player compared to another. Just random mode is still the lens used opposed to clan based mode. In respects to how a person may grade themselves.

Looking at your stats:

Your comfortable in high tier US battleships.

Your above average with IJN, US & German carriers.

Your NOT a cruiser player.

Your DD play is all over the map.

Now I'm going to take a stab at CB:

Your the main cv player for your clan.

If no CV allowed, your a BB player.

Knowing how other clan members in your clan play, I'd guess your a back up dd player, unless they really want you in the Smalland.

Your a solid player with a weakness in cruisers.

Not looking at your 30, & 7 day stats, I would bet your slightly increasing your stats....

Tell Fade n Trix I said hi....

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tell Fade n Trix I said hi...

Who is Fade n Trix?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,825 posts
24,361 battles
On 4/13/2021 at 2:24 AM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Who is Fade n Trix?

Sorry misread your clan letters. Disregard. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles
On 4/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Was wondering if random mode is still considered the gold standard for stats? 

Depends on what do you want to read. CB and other clan based modes is more an evaluation of your Clan performance and caller. I think it could be possible for a mediocre Random player to be a super CB player and vice-versa. Ranked is just Randoms light so Randoms could give you a broader picture. As PvP modes go, there's really not much besides Randoms in order to have an overview on someone's individual performance, maybe using  Ranked as some sort of additional source. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Randoms in order to have an overview on someone's individual performance

This

For people who are wanting to improve. It’s a good starting point. For people who would like to move to higher ranking clans, their random stats are probably reviewed.

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

This

For people who are wanting to improve. It’s a good starting point. For people who would like to move to higher ranking clans, their random stats are probably reviewed.

oh they are for sure. For all the people's talk, when considered on a larger scale, stats tell a lot about a player's performance. You can try to "paint" them but it all comes to light under a detailed examination. And not everything is reduced to just WR or PR, there's so much more to look at

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles
10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

oh they are for sure. For all the people's talk, when considered on a larger scale, stats tell a lot about a player's performance. You can try to "paint" them but it all comes to light under a detailed examination. And not everything is reduced to just WR or PR, there's so much more to look at

Yep