Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swervenkill

Monitor Glitch

18 comments in this topic

[CUDA]
Members
565 posts
9,177 battles

For some reason every time I start playing WOWs my monitor starts cutting out and back in. It is only a second but happens periodically during the battle. It doesn't in port  or when using the computer for normal pursuits, only during  battles. Anybody else see this? I've checked monitor cables and restarted everything. This only cropped up in the last couple weeks

Oop, it happened in port too.

Edited by Swervenkill

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts

Please open a ticket with tech support, they can help you with this.

A few things to consider if you want to keep this in the forum:

• Please tell us a bit about your hardware: CPU, GPU, RAM, power supply, and the OS you are running.
  • Are you running any WOWS mods?
  • Has anything changed recently that might have caused this? Hardware changes, OS updates, driver updates?
  • Does this also occur in other games or applications, in particular when the GPU/CPU get a lot of load?

Screen flickering or visual artifacts usually point towards the GPU. Drivers might be an issue too. Cooling of the GPU could be an issue too, if something has changed in that regard or if the GPU is old and the fan/thermal interface material might fail. Dust can also be an issue.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles

Hmm, that be a new one. 

My monitor issue is a 3-4 inch purple column flicker about right of center. It happens randomly. 

I too checked connections. But my issue has lasted since about less than 2 years ago. Probably my card. 

Because no matter the update. It shows. 

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
47 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Hmm, that be a new one. 

My monitor issue is a 3-4 inch purple column flicker about right of center. It happens randomly. 

I too checked connections. But my issue has lasted since about less than 2 years ago. Probably my card. 

Have you tried using a different monitor?

[WOLF7]
Members
997 posts
50 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Hmm, that be a new one. 

When is the last time you dusted and applied new thermal paste to your GPU? Could be overheating. Try dusting and repasting as well as a new monitor cable. Had pink-colored screen all the time once. Monitor cable was bad. New cable, colors went back to normal.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts

I agree with @HamAndCheez -- it sounds like you may have an overheating issue. The only other things I'd do at first other than cleaning the system well would be to uninstall and reinstall video drivers and remove the video card, dust out the slot, then replace it. This will usualky remove any corrosion or dust blocking the contacts. Also, unplug and plug back in all your power and data connections, including the connection to your monitor for the same reason. You may have a corroded/dirty or lose contact.

Br careful when trying to replace video card thermal compound. Oftentimes this is not thermal pate but a certain thickness thermal pad. Unless you have a thermal pad of the proper size and thickness to replace the old one you may be creating more problems than you are solving by trying to "fix" things. Some GPU heatsinks are installed with thermal adhesive too, which requires the proper application of heat to remove.

Of course, if you have a laptop then cleaning is your only recourse. Watch a disassembly video for your model on YouTube. Make sure to blow the dust bunnies out of the exhaust port area as that's where they tend to accumulate the most.

Edited by Snargfargle

[CUDA]
Members
565 posts
9,177 battles

The CPU is a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor            3.70 GHz

The GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

16 gb of installed ram

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

the monitor is HP2311x

I have a second monitor, an old Dell but I play on the HP.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
6 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

Download and run the free version of HWMonitor or GPU-Z to see what your temps, voltages, and fans are doing.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

RX 5700 XTs can run hot but you still should not be seeing much above the boiling temp of water (100 C) when under load.

[-AFK-]
Members
1,357 posts
16,499 battles
9 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

The CPU is a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor            3.70 GHz

16 gb of installed ram

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

the monitor is HP2311x

I have a second monitor, an old Dell but I play on the HP.

Try the Dell monitor like they suggested above and see if you can replicate the fault, then that will rule out all together it is a monitor issue and then like they have suggested focus on it being an overheating issue. 

Once you have eliminated that as being a potential issue, 
Start reinstalling and updating drivers, 
Chipset,
GFX 

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles
10 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Have you tried using a different monitor?

No. Very good monitor. It also happened today. Only the right of center, 3-4 inch purple glitchy column that appeared twice for about 1 sec.

I don't know what it could be. 🤔

But I checked everything out many times over the span of 18 months. Either it is an anomaly or maybe my eyes are going bad. Like flash images. Not sure.

I will see my eye Dr in about an month. I do have an optic nerve thing. Maybe it's that.🤔

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles
10 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

When is the last time you dusted and applied new thermal paste to your GPU? Could be overheating. Try dusting and repasting as well as a new monitor cable. Had pink-colored screen all the time once. Monitor cable was bad. New cable, colors went back to normal.

I have a quality card and I keep it clean. All cables are great. This issue only occurs around certain days and times. Otherwise monitor works fine. 

[-AFK-]
Members
1,357 posts
16,499 battles
8 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

No. Very good monitor. It also happened today. Only the right of center, 3-4 inch purple glitchy column that appeared twice for about 1 sec.

I don't know what it could be. 🤔

But I checked everything out many times over the span of 18 months. Either it is an anomaly or maybe my eyes are going bad. Like flash images. Not sure.

I will see my eye Dr in about an month. I do have an optic nerve thing. Maybe it's that.🤔

Don't dismiss trying another monitor because 'reasons' just try a different monitor. 
You will have to get your hands dirty with troubleshooting otherwise you might just dismiss the answer to your issue at one point and be left with the issue. 

These guys are willing to help, so you need to be willing to test.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles
7 minutes ago, Boily_Boi said:

Don't dismiss trying another monitor because 'reasons' just try a different monitor. 
You will have to get your hands dirty with troubleshooting otherwise you might just dismiss the answer to your issue at one point and be left with the issue. 

These guys are willing to help, so you need to be willing to test.

I will try another monitor when I can actually afford one. Right now. I can't. I will just deal with it.

As for thermal issues, I solved that one easy and it was not my card. It was a software issue.

It comes and goes. It hardly interferes with gameplay.

I have been looking at new monitors for quite some time.

But this particular issue does have a certain...coincidental reaction based on specific things I would rather say is... too coincidental.

I dismissed it for some time because I didn't want to believe the coincidence.

So eventually, I will try a new monitor to rule out the coincidence.

What can I do about the coincidence you might ask?

Not a darn thing. It is what it is.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

Members
5,749 posts
11,423 battles

Hardware issue to me and any hardware can go bad - no matter how "good" it is.  Either the video solution, overheating, or monitor going bad. 

Borrow a monitor from a friend and test it.  If you lived in SW Ohio I could give you one of several extras.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
5 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Hardware issue to me and any hardware can go bad - no matter how "good" it is.  Either the video solution, overheating, or monitor going bad. 

Borrow a monitor from a friend and test it.  If you lived in SW Ohio I could give you one of several extras.

Or a failing power supply unit. Power supply problems can mimic just about every other type of problem found in the PC. This is why I suggested monitoring voltages. If you see your voltages dip significantly when a load is applied to the computer then that's likely a sign of a failing PSU. At the minimum if one is having intermittent "glitchy" problems one should unplug and replug all power and data cables. I have an electronics degree and did tech support in the hardware section of a computer support forum for several years. It was amazing how many times I "solved" a storage drive issue by simply telling the poster to unplug and replug the drive's data and power cables at both ends. When faced with a computer device problem, the first two questions to ask are is the device getting power and, if so, is it getting data? 

Edited by Snargfargle

[CUDA]
Members
565 posts
9,177 battles

Looks like my monitor doesn't have a Win 10 compatible driver. Time for a trip to best buy...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
1 hour ago, Swervenkill said:

Looks like my monitor doesn't have a Win 10 compatible driver. Time for a trip to best buy...

You can't much go wrong with a Samsung monitor. I have four Samsung monitors and TVs in the house, all of which are from 8-10 years old, and none of them have given me a single problem.

Sign in to follow this