You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cmdr_bigdog

Leroy Jenkins in the armory

54 comments in this topic

Members
561 posts
18,180 battles

The infamous Commander Leroy Jenkins entering the armory. As a black commander in a seaman's uniform?    

I can imagine the direction the WoWs VP of Bad Ideas gave the developers.

"Add a new commander, name him Leroy Jenkins, and since Jenkins always screws up make him wear a seamans uniform like the captain is dead and he took over the ship or something.

Also,  since WoWs is being more racial sensitive make him a gray headed black man." 

The VP of BI is exceeding his job expectations.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 10

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts

It's this guy more likely since its Leroy and not Leeroy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Jenkins_(musician)

https://heartoflouisiana.com/uss-kidd/

"The Kidd’s crew earned a total of eight battle stars and was involved in numerous World War Two battles. “That means nose to nose, or eyeball to eyeball or dirty fighting, you know, for three or four hours. And somebody’s going to get killed on there”, says Leroy Jenkins. He served on the USS Kidd in the 1950’s.

He recalls the first time he saw the crew hoist the skull and bones of the Jolly Roger flag. “I get on this ship here and all these guys look like pirates themselves. These guys had long beards, big knives on their sides. I couldn’t believe it.”"

The guy served on the Kidd.

Edit: Just realised that musican Leroy died in 2007, which would not be the same Leroy as the sailor.

• Cool 4

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,907 posts
11,042 battles

Leroy is US Veteran who served on USS Kidd.

• Cool 12

[WOLFG]
Members
13,263 posts
12,507 battles
Just now, Eyeless_Camper said:

It's this guy more likely since its Leroy and not Leeroy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Jenkins_(musician)

"The Kidd’s crew earned a total of eight battle stars and was involved in numerous World War Two battles. “That means nose to nose, or eyeball to eyeball or dirty fighting, you know, for three or four hours. And somebody’s going to get killed on there”, says Leroy Jenkins. He served on the USS Kidd in the 1950’s.

He recalls the first time he saw the crew hoist the skull and bones of the Jolly Roger flag. “I get on this ship here and all these guys look like pirates themselves. These guys had long beards, big knives on their sides. I couldn’t believe it.”"

The guy served on the Kidd.

The wiki page said nothing about his Navy time (I had looked up the exact spelling just to check and came across that page).

Maybe the devs are jazz fans.

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The wiki page said nothing about his Navy time (I had looked up the exact spelling just to check and came across that page).

Maybe the devs are jazz fans.

Fair, added link to page that said it.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,451 posts
18 minutes ago, cmdr_bigdog said:

The infamous Commander Leroy Jenkins entering the armory. As a black commander in a seaman's uniform?    

I can imagine the direction the WoWs VP of Bad Ideas gave the developers.

"Add a new commander, name him Leroy Jenkins, and since Jenkins always screws up make him wear a seamans uniform like the captain is dead and he took over the ship or something.

Also,  since WoWs is being more racial sensitive make him a gray headed black man." 

The VP of BI is exceeding his job expectations.

Really?

https://www.lsureveille.com/the-real-life-aquatic/article_676e9b03-9a31-5e1b-8252-0515d5de0fee.html

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
767 posts

All I need to know about Leroy: 

“I’ve had one of the best lives in the world,”

"The United States is the best country in the world because of its military"

“This is tough work, this is nasty work; but if I had to, I’d do it again in a heartbeat,”  “This is where your freedom comes from.”

Leroy Jenkins

o/

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 3

[SALVO]
Members
8,963 posts
6,663 battles

of all the names they could choose it had to be "Leeroy" Jenkins? kudos to real life Leroy... but for the common player, this commander is "Leeroy" and it comes out as something of a joke. 

I'm hoping it is awarded as an achievement after you manage to die in under 2 minutes.

Edited by ArIskandir

12,907 posts
11,042 battles
43 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I mentioned that when I first got here and was absolutely PILED on for it.

You're preaching the choir.  The only female avatars I get are anime girls, Dasha-clones and holiday captains.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,631 posts
18,281 battles

I certainly did not know that world of warcraft was around back in WW2. TIL

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,597 posts

Hmm....sure he is a nice guy but if this is all kinda "well this is the only black guy we know who ever got on a warship so here you go" 

If the bar is this low, why not Doris Miller or Samuel Gravely? 

Of note, given we have mythical or non-navy figures from hundreds of years ago for the Pan Asian fleet, having somebody slightly out of the timeline should not be an issue.

Edit - learned something today about Pinckney  - thanks

Edited by Anonymous50

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles

There was a Russian female ship commander featured in a History article a while ago.  We thought she would be added as a captain but it didn't happen. 

Like it or not, there were very few female or minority commanders or even officers during the time period represented by the game.  So IMO representing a worthy enlisted man as a captain is a generous move on the part of WG, and I would like to see more of it.  I don't know what the fried chicken comment referred to, but that would be insensitive if not unconscionable.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,597 posts
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

There was a Russian female ship commander featured in a History article a while ago.  We thought she would be added as a captain but it didn't happen. 

Like it or not, there were very few female or minority commanders or even officers during the time period represented by the game.  So IMO representing a worthy enlisted man as a captain is a generous move on the part of WG,

Dude, maybe generous ISN'T the word to use here -  smacks of "take what you can get people".

There are heroes, genuine medal winners  that could have been chosen.   And, out of the WoW timeline, actual admirals etc.

Pan Asian can get figures out of the TL completely - but, for black people, nope, can't find a black guy  so go with a nice old dude.

THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO DO A BASIC GOOGLE SEARCH

Imagine this - the only Dutch captain is a nice guy old guy who happened to be on a boat once and got on some youtube videos.   We'd all be laughing at WG for incompetence.

And, don't forget, this is a couple of months after WoW launched an ship from India where all the captains are white.

Edited by Anonymous50

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,018 battles

Yeah this is a fail on W cheese part.

Nothing against adding minority captains into the game to bad they just pick this one cause he had a name associated with another wow title.  He may have been a good person but how about we choose a medal of honor recipient?

Just a few out there to choose from....

Where is

Doris Miller?

Robert Blake?

William Brown?

Wilson Brown?

John Lawson?

James Mifflin?

Joachim Pease?

Robert Penn?

Daniel Atkins?

John Davis?

Alphonse Girandy?

John Johnson?

William Johnson?

Joseph Noil?

John Smith?

Or how about a 2 time medal of honor recipient Robert Sweeney?

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles

See, this is why the main commanders are generic as all get out.  As soon as one identifiable group is represented, everyone else's interest group gets butthurt and we degenerate into this squabbling.

IMO, Leroy Jenkins is added to flesh out an in-game DD commander, Jenkins, who appears regularly in Ops to yolo and often martyr himself.  I'll be happy to have him aboard and teach him how to survive a battle.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 5

[AAA]
Members
251 posts
20,602 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You're preaching the choir.  The only female avatars I get are anime girls, Dasha-clones and holiday captains.

Who would you like to have for a female captain ? 

Sadly, I can not think of a single female that is famous in the naval theatre. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles
Just now, xXUglykidXx said:

Heck invent some.  I seem to recall a mod for a line of Canadian? women commanders?  I don't know if it's still around.

12,907 posts
11,042 battles
6 minutes ago, xXUglykidXx said:

Random generic captains.  Spoil me for choice and let me pick my avatars as I please.  We have literal cats for avatars, for crying out loud.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

Members
4,254 posts
14,998 battles
6 minutes ago, xXUglykidXx said:

Ching Shih

[AAYC]
[AAYC]
Members
57 posts
23,552 battles

If you were a Captain LittleMouse I would buy you with Doubloons

I do have Akeno Misaki, that was as close as I could get. 

Thank you for everything you do for us!

Edited by Taffy_03
added sentiment
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

Members
462 posts

Spot on. I can think of two remedies straight away.

First, we should indeed have April Whitemouse as a unique commander. If bloody Jingles is worthy of the honour then you certainly are too.

Second, I believe much of our gaming pleasure is the result of a certain American naval programming genius, the oft-overlooked Rear-Admiral Grace Hopper. She deserves a slot.

What say you all?

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,422 posts
17,207 battles
2 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Mouse.. you are correct but that was one of the very first things I noticed about WG when I got here.  The ONLY Black man they have here has a 100%  stereotypical disrespectful Image to represent him.  The man is sinking into the ocean but they had to put a piece of fried chicken in his hand?

Will there ever be another?  I would expect a slice of watermelon in his.

I mentioned that when I first got here and was absolutely PILED on for it...

Leroy Jenkins =/= LEEROY JENKINS! :fish_palm: