Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

0.10.2 Big Hunt Redux - constructive criticism.

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

18,095
[ARGSY]
Members
25,148 posts
19,146 battles

Well, I didn't think anything could rouse me to replay this event beyond the bare minimum to get what I wanted (Amagi permacamo), but I was wrong. 

Whirlwind was some of the best fun I've ever had in an event ship, especially with the hull that let you transfer charges immediately between consumables - although the 20-charge hull that got your torpedo reload down to essentially no gap between firing the first rack and being ready to fire it again also had its attractions. Keep on grabbing extended torpedo range and you could really pull some wicked stuff; I even managed to kill the Aurora a couple of times. Hector, though, was a PITA with that long-delay super-laser; although when you got it right, it REALLY delivered. But which ships are hot and which are not (and with which modules) is such a matter of personal taste that I can't be too critical of the event on that basis.

The ship XP mission for enough damage done was in the mode from the start this time around (GOOD), which meant you could get your three containers a day, and you could finish all the directives in the Italian event with it (GOOD). I never really figured out whether these ships were generating ECXP or not because I wasn't playing them enough; there's enough time still left to try this out tonight and I'll edit this post accordingly. 

Not having to kill each other for exit keys was IMHO an excellent move, and it did in my experience cut down on the amount of human-on-human backstabbery. I think there could have been more creatures for us to kill, emphasizing the PvE aspect, but that's just personal taste. I do think the last person left alive should have got an automatic uplift, regardless of position, but that's also personal taste.

Heracles divisions that can keep on endlessly cycling their circular waves and forever blocking torpedoes are an issue.

 

The REAL problem - and again, this is just a personal one - was the lack of things to spend Corporation tokens on. There were three permacamos available, keyed for Amagi, Oland and Akizuki, and enough tokens in the system to get any two of them for free if you ground hard enough (getting the third one needed a 3000 dub outlay, but that's what a T8 permacamo costs anyway). The last time, the permacamos were freely linkable and more generally useful, BUT I can definitely understand the decision to offer permacamos mirrored to the hulls they were using. It so happened that I actually wanted the Amagi one, or I might not have played this mode at all except to bypass some tasks that would have been harder even in co-op (that 240-kill mission, for instance). What I was surprised to find was that no commanders were offered this time around; I was hoping I could have picked up the cat and rat commanders from the new ships, because my kids thought they were pretty cute, but not a chance.

As things stand, I have four Corporation tokens and nothing to use them on - my Oland and Akizuki already have permacamos on them and don't actually need another one - and it seems sort of sad just to let them go for credits.

 

Despite all the criticisms, on the whole, when I wasn't furthering my agenda in the main tech tree and had time to play this mode, I actually found it a lot of fun. WG made it better the second time around, and I'm looking with interest to when they next bring it back. The gameplay is, on the whole, fine; the nature of the prizes just needs a little more variety.

 

 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[BTLST]
Members
305 posts
7,137 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The ship XP mission for enough damage done was in the mode from the start this time around (GOOD), which meant you could get your three containers a day, and you could finish all the directives in the Italian event with it (GOOD). I never really figured out whether these ships were generating ECXP or not because I wasn't playing them enough; there's enough time still left to try this out tonight and I'll edit this post accordingly. 

I tested this a while ago and these ships are indeed generating ECXP from the XP missions. I never had this much ECXP in my life, but then again I only recently started playing more consistently and I never had a 19 pt commander.

Overall I share your positive assessment of this event. It was surprisingly fun (my go-to ship also is the Whirlwind) and the rewards were very decent. If I had to critique one thing, is that in the final week it started getting a bit stale, perhaps because the portal opens so late, so you'd have to linger around for a much longer time, if you want  the battle points bonus. And by that time, I redeemed all the free goodies from battle points, so I sometimes just suicided my ship, once I knew that I had enough hitpoints to complete the (EC)XP mission.

In the end I spent my 11 corporate tokens on two camos and I bought all the various packs that you could buy with battle points. It would have been indeed nice, if it would have been possible to spend corporate tokens and battle points on something else, say on coal. That might have kept the motivation up even longer. But in the end this is only a minor quibble regarding an overall good event. I'm also looking forward to it coming back sometime.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,095
[ARGSY]
Members
25,148 posts
19,146 battles
3 minutes ago, tangofan said:

I tested this a while ago and these ships are indeed generating ECXP from the XP missions.

I wish I'd realized that earlier; I might have flogged this mode a lot harder. :fish_palm: Oh well, I got lots done in the tech tree and I'm not going to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,064
[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not having to kill each other for exit keys was IMHO an excellent move, and it did in my experience cut down on the amount of human-on-human backstabbery. I think there could have been more creatures for us to kill, emphasizing the PvE aspect, but that's just personal taste. I do think the last person left alive should have got an automatic uplift, regardless of position, but that's also personal taste.

Personal taste here, but that was the thing that made the original fun for me. I am not a coop player, I don't play this game for the PvE aspects so having an event that is almost entirely PvE was getting boring to me after only a few games. Don't get me wrong, I do love single player games and I play them quite a lot, but when I play a game like wows I do so for the human vs human interactions. Not having them in an event made this mode entirely unappealing to me.

The only way would have been excellent rewards, but then it would have been truly a grind in that I would be doing something I don't like to do for some reward I want/need. Then again, I already have a job so why would I do something like that in my free time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,095
[ARGSY]
Members
25,148 posts
19,146 battles
4 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Not having them in an event made this mode entirely unappealing to me.

There was plenty of room for ambushing other human players, but being optional and the Aurora plus its escorts being put in meant it was significantly de-emphasized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,064
[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There was plenty of room for ambushing other human players, but being optional and the Aurora plus its escorts being put in meant it was significantly de-emphasized.

Yes, true. The thing is it was entirely optional and had no real point. It just meant you could go and troll other players while everyone was going at the PvE aspect. With the limited number of keys it was fun because diving up with a random person meant you also need to find two keys (or even three) to get everyone through, or backstabbing was becoming quite unavoidable.

It was an interesting dynamic between players with diving up being this moment of temporary trust, but also a silent agreement that you need to get a key for both players and if you can't the alliance is off. A whole different level of tacit player-player interaction previously not present in the game. I definitely see why people wouldn't like this, but it was what made the original mode interesting to me and I think it was also new and unique in terms of game modes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
369 posts
11,654 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

eracles divisions that can keep on endlessly cycling their circular waves and forever blocking torpedoes are an issue.

Overall, I have to give a nod of appreciation to whoever thought of the "main armament" of the Hector and Heracles. I did find them both somewhat lacking in ability to aim+delay (Hector) and power against monsters(Heracles).

It seemed the "kill everyone else" attitude dropped considerably after the first few weeks, I joined a lot of good teams after that.

As someone else posted, I do wish there was more to buy with the Battle Points and Corp. Tokens.

Overall I give it a +.82. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,941
[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

I liked the event a lot. Lots of possible interesting concepts there to implement into the game.

Sadly, with limited playing time, I couldn't play it all that much. Just unlocked enough tokens for a permacamo.

I hope it doesn't end read like lack of interest, but with other ongoing events and grinds it's complicated to devote much time to an alternate game mode that doesn't rewards XP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,399 posts
4,771 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well, I didn't think anything could rouse me to replay this event beyond the bare minimum to get what I wanted (Amagi permacamo), but I was wrong. 

Whirlwind was some of the best fun I've ever had in an event ship, especially with the hull that let you transfer charges immediately between consumables - although the 20-charge hull that got your torpedo reload down to essentially no gap between firing the first rack and being ready to fire it again also had its attractions. Keep on grabbing extended torpedo range and you could really pull some wicked stuff; I even managed to kill the Aurora a couple of times. Hector, though, was a PITA with that long-delay super-laser; although when you got it right, it REALLY delivered. But which ships are hot and which are not (and with which modules) is such a matter of personal taste that I can't be too critical of the event on that basis.

The ship XP mission for enough damage done was in the mode from the start this time around (GOOD), which meant you could get your three containers a day, and you could finish all the directives in the Italian event with it (GOOD). I never really figured out whether these ships were generating ECXP or not because I wasn't playing them enough; there's enough time still left to try this out tonight and I'll edit this post accordingly. 

Not having to kill each other for exit keys was IMHO an excellent move, and it did in my experience cut down on the amount of human-on-human backstabbery. I think there could have been more creatures for us to kill, emphasizing the PvE aspect, but that's just personal taste. I do think the last person left alive should have got an automatic uplift, regardless of position, but that's also personal taste.

Heracles divisions that can keep on endlessly cycling their circular waves and forever blocking torpedoes are an issue.

 

The REAL problem - and again, this is just a personal one - was the lack of things to spend Corporation tokens on. There were three permacamos available, keyed for Amagi, Oland and Akizuki, and enough tokens in the system to get any two of them for free if you ground hard enough (getting the third one needed a 3000 dub outlay, but that's what a T8 permacamo costs anyway). The last time, the permacamos were freely linkable and more generally useful, BUT I can definitely understand the decision to offer permacamos mirrored to the hulls they were using. It so happened that I actually wanted the Amagi one, or I might not have played this mode at all except to bypass some tasks that would have been harder even in co-op (that 240-kill mission, for instance). What I was surprised to find was that no commanders were offered this time around; I was hoping I could have picked up the cat and rat commanders from the new ships, because my kids thought they were pretty cute, but not a chance.

As things stand, I have four Corporation tokens and nothing to use them on - my Oland and Akizuki already have permacamos on them and don't actually need another one - and it seems sort of sad just to let them go for credits.

 

Despite all the criticisms, on the whole, when I wasn't furthering my agenda in the main tech tree and had time to play this mode, I actually found it a lot of fun. WG made it better the second time around, and I'm looking with interest to when they next bring it back. The gameplay is, on the whole, fine; the nature of the prizes just needs a little more variety.

 

 

I couldn't get into it. Events like this one are always a miss for me especially when I personally feel that the camos are butt ugly and if they're the only rewards then I don't do it lol

~Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,010
[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,939 battles
14 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

I couldn't get into it. Events like this one are always a miss for me especially when I personally feel that the camos are butt ugly and if they're the only rewards then I don't do it lol

~Hunter

I saw the camos and immediately wrote it all off. Those are some seriously ugly camo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[TFFOX]
Members
1,125 posts
4,132 battles
42 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I saw the camos and immediately wrote it all off. Those are some seriously ugly camo.

I only bought the akizuki one for the lower post battle service cost (Akizuki is one of my favorite ships in the entire game)

whirlwind.thumb.png.d78bbf373b3eebac2c099fa3e938898c.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,941
[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles
21 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

I only bought the akizuki one for the lower post battle service cost (Akizuki is one of my favorite ships in the entire game)

whirlwind.thumb.png.d78bbf373b3eebac2c099fa3e938898c.png

 

You can disable the cosmetic. Iirc, it is under "space" category... that's what I did :cap_tea:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[TFFOX]
Members
1,125 posts
4,132 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

You can disable the cosmetic. Iirc, it is under "space" category... that's what I did :cap_tea:

genius

genius.thumb.png.bf43284dbef7e433dc85a78f188159d6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[ANZ4C]
Members
395 posts
8,647 battles

My only complaint about this whole event.....

The Permacamo for the Oland uses the wavecaster bow, instead of the axial laser. Other than that, was hella fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×