You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

So The Naysayers That Said The Yueyang Was The Worst DD in Ranked....I Highly Beg To Differ

9 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts

So I made a post a couple days ago about how well the Yueyang was doing in Ranked when I pulled it out for the first time in many months. I've been testing different ships over the weeks in there to see what works best and if there are Tech ships that can really compete. Well, I got told by a couple of folks that the Yueyang basically is outgunned and outmatched in Ranked, so why even bring it.
I had an hour to kill tonight so I figured I'd go back in and see if the other nights win streak was a fluke? Maybe I was just lucky and my teams were good enough to carry me? I mean that's basically what someone said on the other thread. 

Anyway, if there is any doubt, check these screenshots out. I mean this thing just OWNS in there like no tomorrow. Those big battleships have no warning on these deep water torps. Just look at that 13 torp hits! They can't move out of the way fast enough! They travel at 76 knots, so fast and stealthy, by the time you realize they are there, it's too late. Look at the details screenshot...this is for the guy that said the Yueyang was basically outmatched by every other DD. I laid into the Z-52 in this game and guess who won? With 5.8 concealment you just slide in and out of those little pockets to ambush the big boys in the BB's. The 13.5 range on the torps helps a lot as well. I don't have to get anywhere near them to be effective. The radar is honestly just a bonus as I can spot enemy DD's long before they detect me. 

They had 2 Gearings and a Z and we had me, a Gearing and a Kleber. I managed to out score all of them. So I guess it's true what they say, the Yueyang is the worst DD in Ranked. As I said before, not my first choice but if you don't have access to special or rare ships and all you have is the tech tree stuff, give it a try. It might surprise you! Oh and yes, my team lost this battle but I won't say anything negative about anyone as I am pretty chill and don't get hung up on it. 

I'm done with it for now, I'll be messing with the Khabarovsk next as I read in a post that it too was past it's prime and not effective anymore. I used to do good in her a long time ago but I'll spank the dust off, throw a 19 point Captain in her and see what she's currently capable of. Cya on the battlefield! 

YueyangRanked150k.jpg

Yueuankranked150k2.jpg

YueyangRanked150k3.jpg

Edited by Lord_Argus

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles

If you're winning then that's all that matters.  You do you.  But if people say Yueyang sucks for Ranked, checking the numbers, I'm inclined to agree.

shot-21-02-17-12-23-39-0132.jpg

Long ago I remember someone ranking out in Tier VII Ranked with the POS that is Indianapolis.  So if people can rank out in that, anything's possible, but that doesn't mean the ship is good.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[O7]
Supertester
442 posts
13,713 battles

Ah yes, the classic anecdotal argument of "If it works for me, it must be good".

I can rank out in Kansas in bronze ranked with 60%+ WR. It doesn't change the fact she is considered one of the worst BBs in ranked. 

As for YY, I've already gone into detail on why she isn't considered a good pick on your previous post. That is not to say she can't work, but rather she isn't the best ship if your goal is to rank out as soon as possible. YY's unique strengths can certainly win you games, but her weaknesses can lose you many more games. What if that Z-52 was actually smart and used his 6km hydro against you? What if that leg mod Gearing face checked you and wasn't afraid of fighting your YY? What if you lost the game because Petro's hydro made your DW torps irrelevant? What if a CV exists? It's those common situations where YY starts to falter, requiring you to compensate to make up the difference in ship capabilities. Skill difference can only compensate so much. 

Also, 1 game isn't much of a sample size. I've suicided my ship in the first 2 minutes of the game and still won. Does that mean yolo suiciding is a good tactic? 

As for Khabarovsk, she was buffed fairly recently with the removal of full damage AP pens. It looks like your opinion is based on outdated info on her. 

• Cool 3

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,050 posts
27,727 battles

I'm still a naysayer.

The facts are that you did damage, and good damage at that, but your team still lost. The point of ranked is to win more than it is just to get shiny damage numbers. Progress and be rewarded. 

Also, you did 10k to the Z52 but you didnt sink him. Being that we have no idea the situation, it doesn't prove you were in a 1 v 1 knife fight and won on equal terms.

Sorry man, but have to disagree that 150k damage makes a ship good in a losing game. In fact, the loss aligns with the 46% win rate of the ship in ranked that HazeGray posted.

[BONKS]
Members
3,079 posts
52 battles

To quote something I recently read: "The right man will make the wrong tool work, whereas the wrong guy needs a magical tool for success."

But just because the right man can make the wrong tool work doesn't mean said tool is good.

Members
7,122 posts
23,090 battles

The YY is tied for dead last in tech tree surface ships played in this ranked season. The Khab, which you reference is the ship it is tied with, The Khab has a full 6% higher wr. The YY is second to last wr only to the Yoshino.

I play it often and have managed a staggering 48%wr (rounded) in it which is the 24th best on the server of those that have played it over 20 times....In fact using that criteria, there are only 13 players that have above a 50% wr in it. That is how useless this ship is.

Comically, I have played it 44 times as I am a glutton for stupidity and hamstringing myself.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts

thats great till you get into a 5 DD a side ranked battle, then its at such a disadvantage with its torps that its useless.

[SALVO]
Members
8,963 posts
6,663 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

...In fact using that criteria, there are only 13 players that have above a 50% wr in it. That is how useless this ship is

Things like that makes me horny for challenge, shame I'm still far removed from YY