Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

Has Coal been nerfed?

20 comments in this topic

[X-PN]
Members
1,995 posts
13,255 battles

Been thinking this for a while, but the other thread on Black has nearly convinced me that we are unlikely to any more coal ships in the future that are "good."

With the Removal of Thunderer and Georgia the last of the good coal ships are nearly gone.  You could maybe make an argument that Marceau, Neustra, or Yoshino are good, but each is not in the same category (for specific reasons for each one) as the others or other former coal must haves like Smolensk or Jean Bart.  The recent replacements are each more meh than the last with Pommern briefly being kinda good but now nerfed way down, Z44 being OK but similar to tree T9's, Flint has been emasculated, and Marco Polo being very Meh and scheduled to get worse in a patch.  I don't think Moskva deserves to be there and the mid tier Lazo and Duke of York are definitely not deserving of any coal being thrown their way.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and something interesting gets thrown in there, but out of stuff in testing that looks good, all of looks to be destined for "grinder" currencies... which is probably the point of this unfortunate trend.  Used to be once I got back up to 200k coal I got excited since I could start to go window shopping, but I'm nearly to 300k and looks like I will accumulate more... depressing.  :Smile_sad:

• Cool 3

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles

Well, saving coal would be the only option then.

As for playing a competitive for excessive coal, that would be a bad idea if nothing is in the store. 

By the time a significant ship shows up, it will be the holidays again.

Probably best to just get all the tiers associated with rewarding coal in next snowflake event and load up that way. Then do the daily stuff.

This is probably that moment in Warships to just hold your stuff and reserve your major purchases for content you like. Hold the resources until then. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,453 posts

Watch the devblogs.  There are all manner of new ships coming, we don't know what currency they are going to be for.  Some are very likely to be coal.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles

IIRC Salem's still there. The original coal ship, and arguably one of the best. You want Des Moines but you're free to play and the thought of the Tier 10 economy without permacamo or premium time frightens you? Salem solves all those problems. Her radar may be worse and she can't ship the DM Legendary Module, but her heal more than compensates IMHO.

I'm sitting on my hands and waiting to see what happens. Once I know what they want for Vampire 2 and how much, things will crystallize very rapidly.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

I know nothing about devblogs and certainly know nothing about this all manner of new ships coming for coal? I know nothing.

I am happy I got the Georgia and Thunderer and a couple of other ships etc. The rest of the ships on the coal list will have to take some consideration before I decide to spend coal for one. Maybe. I don't know yet. Nothing compels me to buy one now in coal.

So what do I do? Stockpile coal. I already want a million coal on hand. It will take a while to get there. There is buying planned in coal. I have some catching up to do in the devblogs as the regular forums do not appear to be adequate in forecasting whats coming down the track right now in what will happen soon or a year from now.

[PVE]
Members
294 posts

On the fitting tool site under USSR test ships there is a ship called Stalingrad #2. It seems to be a slightly nerfed version of the steel ship. I don't know if this is for real or not, but if it is, could this possibly be an upcoming coal ship?

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PRSC520&modules=1111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=111&pos=0

Members
15 posts
602 battles

There is talk of the New Jersey and Wisconsin coming into the game.  Any chance one of them might be coal?  Maybe Free XP? 

[WHARF]
Members
482 posts
19,789 battles
8 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Been thinking this for a while, but the other thread on Black has nearly convinced me that we are unlikely to any more coal ships in the future that are "good."

With the Removal of Thunderer and Georgia the last of the good coal ships are nearly gone.  You could maybe make an argument that Marceau, Neustra, or Yoshino are good, but each is not in the same category (for specific reasons for each one) as the others or other former coal must haves like Smolensk or Jean Bart.  The recent replacements are each more meh than the last with Pommern briefly being kinda good but now nerfed way down, Z44 being OK but similar to tree T9's, Flint has been emasculated, and Marco Polo being very Meh and scheduled to get worse in a patch.  I don't think Moskva deserves to be there and the mid tier Lazo and Duke of York are definitely not deserving of any coal being thrown their way.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and something interesting gets thrown in there, but out of stuff in testing that looks good, all of looks to be destined for "grinder" currencies... which is probably the point of this unfortunate trend.  Used to be once I got back up to 200k coal I got excited since I could start to go window shopping, but I'm nearly to 300k and looks like I will accumulate more... depressing.  :Smile_sad:

Save it till something you want comes along

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles

I think the upcoming "Auction" is kinda part of that.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,420 posts
11,786 battles
10 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I have all the coal ships except Z-44 and Marco Polo, which I'll only get when I have oodles of coal and nothing on the horizon that may be for coal. Hoping Druid or Napoli end up being coal at this point.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles
1 hour ago, Bandi73 said:

I think the upcoming "Auction" is kinda part of that.

With WG's typical information, it is hard to tell wth the auctions are (other than resource sinks).

[X-PN]
Members
1,995 posts
13,255 battles
1 hour ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I have all the coal ships except Z-44 and Marco Polo, which I'll only get when I have oodles of coal and nothing on the horizon that may be for coal. Hoping Druid or Napoli end up being coal at this point.

That's about as likely as me getting a Missouri in my next supercontainer....  or maybe me even getting supercontainer at all before the end of the year...

[Y0L0W]
Members
520 posts
10,160 battles
6 hours ago, Kelly2405 said:

There is talk of the New Jersey and Wisconsin coming into the game.  Any chance one of them might be coal?  Maybe Free XP? 

No there isn't. The New Jersey "Dev Blog" was a joke

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
24 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Wait, they're going to make Marco Polo worse? How? Why?

Blame the people who got Deadeye removed (as of 10.4), thus removing the one thing which apparently made the Italian BBs shoot consistently.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,535 battles
35 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Wait, they're going to make Marco Polo worse? How? Why?

Dead Eye is getting removed.  There were a number of BBs that players mentioned with traditionally bad gunnery, i.e. Roma, that life became more bearable with Dead Eye.  I watched numerous vids for Premium Marco Polo where Dead Eye was a must for them.

With Dead Eye going bye-bye?  Well, time to put Roma, etc. back into the dust bin, I guess.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,704 posts
7,066 battles
15 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

The new carrier for coal will likely be my next chase, although I don't think I'm going to enjoy Skip Bombers very much, would be nice to know how they work before dropping 264,000 coal on it...and the new Japanese commander probably, seems like a good DD/CV captain...beyond that, nothing strikes my interest, no interest in Pomm, less in Marco Polo, I have all the other Commanders and luckily got all the GOOD ships before they were pulled.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles
30 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

No there isn't. The New Jersey "Dev Blog" was a joke

Of course, so were the Dutch cruisers.

[X-PN]
Members
1,995 posts
13,255 battles
3 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

The new carrier for coal will likely be my next chase, although I don't think I'm going to enjoy Skip Bombers very much, would be nice to know how they work before dropping 264,000 coal on it...and the new Japanese commander probably, seems like a good DD/CV captain...beyond that, nothing strikes my interest, no interest in Pomm, less in Marco Polo, I have all the other Commanders and luckily got all the GOOD ships before they were pulled.

Same story here.  Not a thing in that I don't already have that I want, however my OP wasn't so much about that.

More about lamenting the change in the relative value of coal since it's starting to look like WG has made an effort keep coal ships from being strong.   We'll see about the skip bomber CV but I consider that an exception.

Sign in to follow this