You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaLord_MacKraken

Mid-tier premium advise

38 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
4,842 battles

Hello WOWS veterans!

What ONE mid-tier premium ship would be best to buy in 2021? Budget: 6000 doubloons + coupon for -%25 (which makes ships up to 8000 doubloons available).

Tier 6 or 7 only. No CVs.

I shortlisted the following:

1) PERTH - because it's of a unique "nation" and I enjoyed playing LEANDER. With HE PERTH becomes even stronger. Unfortunately she's unsuitable for Naval Battle. But 5100 doubloons - 2nd cheapest on the list.

2) T-61 - because she's very strong for its tier and WG is removing this ship soon. Also higher tier GE tech tree DDs are kinda PITA to play so instead of researching the tech tree I'd rather buy a solid representative of a class and leave it there. 5700 doubloons.

3) Z-39 - same reasons as above. Z-39 is T7 though, so she will see ships up to T9 and even more radars and T8 CVs. She might earn a bit more credits, but I'd estimate she would be harder to play. Win rate also lower than T-61, so I have my doubts here. 6200 doubloons.

4) GRAF SPEE - another ship to be removed. And she looks very strong among T6 cruisers. If only she's got more guns! Also she's the cheapest of these ships at 5000 doubloons. What's the catch?

5) INDIANAPOLIS - we all know how annoying is to deal with radar INDI parked behind an island, and she's got a decent AA against T6 CVs. On the other hand she's got rather mediocre win rate, and she's targeted by half of the enemy team to take her out ASAP. Add to that questionable armor and it seems like surviving on the ship becomes more important than going in and dealing damage. Not sure if I would enjoy that playstyle too much. And she's the most expensive ship in the list at 7800 doubloons.

6) HUANGHE - another clone of LEANDER, which I like. AA is solid + crawling smoke + HE = much more fun to play. However, there's no PA CA line yet, so the ship is also unsuitable for Naval Battle. And since I'm not grinding PA DD line there's not much use it that ship from captain trainer perspective. 5700 doubloons, more expensive than PERTH with similar perks and limitations.

If there's a better ship I didn't list here - by all means bring that up!

Thank you!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles

Graf Spee is getting removed soon. She's a mid tier supercruiser basically, plays a lot like Alaska / Puerto Rico at tier 6. Very potent torpedo backup, her drawback is having only six rifles with sometimes questionable accuracy. Never underestimate having a heal at T6

T-61 is a very strong destroyer. She's small, nimble, mediocre guns but a very high torpedo output with triple tube reload on quad tube launchers. Doesn't really have a big glaring weakness, though arguably you could call her short-duration German smoke one.

Those would be my picks.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

What do you like to play?  Of the ones you listed, I’d pick T-61, since it is really fun to play and is leaving soon.  My favorite T6 premium is Molotov though.  I have a blast weaving through incoming fire while raining down consistent damage on my target, but a lot of people don’t like playing in the second line.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts

I dont do DD.  Indi has great gun. Expect to up a lot but radar is 10 k and catches DD off guard.

Atlanta is blast as well.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
1,946 posts
11,096 battles

I recommend T-61, she's a fun ship that brings a very useful hydro to the cap contests. If you like the RN DDs you should be able to make T-61 work well. 

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
762 posts
11,533 battles

Either T-61, Z-39 or Graf Spee. All are very strong. T-61 is one of the strongest DDs in the game and has one of the highest DD win rates. Power creep  has not affected her. Z-39 is also strong but requires a different play style so there is a learning curve. Graf Speed has only a few guns but is a bully when she noses in and fights other cruisers. I would take anyone of these three as they are all due to go away and all very powerful. I love Perth and when you learn how to use the walking smoke she is OP as well. She is not going anywhere so you can wait on her. Tier 6 has a bunch of very good ships. 

• Thanks 1

[USN]
Members
1,704 posts
21,672 battles
1 hour ago, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

PERTH

If you love Operations, Perth will be fantastic. Bear in mind that Perth is a Commonwealth ship, so her only other real captain trainers are Haida, Mysore, and Vampire II, and of these, Mysore is slightly worse, Haida is leaving soon (btw another very good ship worth thinking about getting) and Vampire II isn’t out yet but may end up in the RB (nice move on WG’s part if that’s true)

T-61

Let’s take a T7 DD but forget a Roman Numeral and than release it with no changes from when it was first announced. How this thing made it to live unnerfed and stayed in the shop for so long baffles me to this day. Definite yes here

Z-39

With Z-31’s arrival this Wednesday, Z-39 will become another example of PTW. That being said, other than the fifth upgrade slot at T7 and 150mm guns, she doesn’t really offer or do anything ships like Haida or T-61 can’t do and/or those two do it better. She is leaving in two months though, which is why I’ve considered getting her, but only get her unless you like DDs and already have Haida and/or T-61

GRAF SPEE

Those guns either miss or overpen. Once in a blue moon they do blow stuff up though. Has a heal, a rarity among T6 cruisers, and was available for free twice, and has a weeb counterpart

INDIANAPOLIS

Probably the weakest choice here. You lack DPM, armor, and torps to effectively deal with anything but ONE enemy cruiser.Halsey+Narai=some profit, but there better options

HUANGHE

Do you like Operations? do you have Perth or Mysore? Do you like play RN light cruisers? If the answer to any of these questions is no, get Perth and/or Mysore and don’t bother with Huanghe

Note: The upcoming KOTS offers a collection that completing gives you a T7 premium ship. You can complete this collection provided you have 8 or less items left (albeit 7 can only be obtained by watching Twitch and linking your WG account to your Twitch account) but this could give you the Z-39 or Indy you’re considering

• Thanks 1

Members
28 posts
4,842 battles
19 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Either T-61, Z-39 or Graf Spee. All are very strong. T-61 is one of the strongest DDs in the game and has one of the highest DD win rates. Power creep  has not affected her. Z-39 is also strong but requires a different play style so there is a learning curve. Graf Speed has only a few guns but is a bully when she noses in and fights other cruisers. I would take anyone of these three as they are all due to go away and all very powerful. I love Perth and when you learn how to use the walking smoke she is OP as well. She is not going anywhere so you can wait on her. Tier 6 has a bunch of very good ships. 

So far the consensus is for T-61. No glaring weaknesses and strong overall.

[ARGSY]
Members
762 posts
11,533 battles
1 minute ago, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

So far the consensus is for T-61. No glaring weaknesses and strong overall.

Simply one of the best ships in the game that you can still acquire. 

• Thanks 1

Members
28 posts
4,842 battles
3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

If you love Operations, Perth will be fantastic. Bear in mind that Perth is a Commonwealth ship, so her only other real captain trainers are Haida, Mysore, and Vampire II, and of these, Mysore is slightly worse, Haida is leaving soon (btw another very good ship worth thinking about getting) and Vampire II isn’t out yet but may end up in the RB (nice move on WG’s part if that’s true)

Let’s take a T7 DD but forget a Roman Numeral and than release it with no changes from when it was first announced. How this thing made it to live unnerfed and stayed in the shop for so long baffles me to this day. Definite yes here

With Z-31’s arrival this Wednesday, Z-39 will become another example of PTW. That being said, other than the fifth upgrade slot at T7 and 150mm guns, she doesn’t really offer or do anything ships like Haida or T-61 can’t do and/or those two do it better. She is leaving in two months though, which is why I’ve considered getting her, but only get her unless you like DDs and already have Haida and/or T-61

Those guns either miss or overpen. Once in a blue moon they do blow stuff up though. Has a heal, a rarity among T6 cruisers, and was available for free twice, and has a weeb counterpart

Probably the weakest choice here. You lack DPM, armor, and torps to effectively deal with anything but ONE enemy cruiser.Halsey+Narai=some profit, but there better options

Do you like Operations? do you have Perth or Mysore? Do you like play RN light cruisers? If the answer to any of these questions is no, get Perth and/or Mysore and don’t bother with Huanghe

Note: The upcoming KOTS offers a collection that completing gives you a T7 premium ship. You can complete this collection provided you have 8 or less items left (albeit 7 can only be obtained by watching Twitch and linking your WG account to your Twitch account) but this could give you the Z-39 or Indy you’re considering

Sounds like T-61 all the way! Thank you for your thoughts on other ships. I was considering HAIDA as well, but she's not high on my list as it's not suited for Naval Battles or captain training, as there's no tech tree Commonwealth line yet.

T-61 seems to be most versatile of all.

[WAP]
Beta Testers
347 posts

T61 is excellent at T6.  The best of the T7 destroyers is the Leningrad.  And imo more fun than the T61.  Any particular reason it's not on your list?

[B_Y_F]
Members
711 posts
16,293 battles

From the list..... T-61 is an instant choice. It's very competitive tier for tier and can be play for any style from gunboating to silent torpedoe boat as you want. 

But if you don't enjoy DD, Graf Spee provide some very unique experience that can help developing good game sense for both cruises and battleship. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles

Don't do Indianapolis.  That thing is literal shark bait in WoWS.  Terrible CA in Tier VII.

Same tier USN CA New Orleans is actually a far superior Heavy Cruiser to Indianapolis.

Last edit:  Indianapolis may look interesting with the 10km radar, but her concealment isn't that good to use it, she has to get up close and expose her terrible armor and exposed Citadel.  The only thing Indianapolis' radar is good for is baiting the player to get up close and get deleted.  She has the same amount of 203mm guns as same tier New Orleans, but reloads at 14.3 seconds vs 13 of NOLA.  NOLA even has better rudder shift time. 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,634 posts
11,759 battles

1) T-61

2) Graf Spee

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
3 hours ago, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

Hello WOWS veterans!

What ONE mid-tier premium ship would be best to buy in 2021? Budget: 6000 doubloons + coupon for -%25 (which makes ships up to 8000 doubloons available).

1) PERTH - because it's of a unique "nation" and I enjoyed playing LEANDER. With HE PERTH becomes even stronger. Unfortunately she's unsuitable for Naval Battle. But 5100 doubloons - 2nd cheapest on the list.

2) T-61 - because she's very strong for its tier and WG is removing this ship soon. Also higher tier GE tech tree DDs are kinda PITA to play so instead of researching the tech tree I'd rather buy a solid representative of a class and leave it there. 5700 doubloons.

3) Z-39 - same reasons as above. Z-39 is T7 though, so she will see ships up to T9 and even more radars and T8 CVs. She might earn a bit more credits, but I'd estimate she would be harder to play. Win rate also lower than T-61, so I have my doubts here. 6200 doubloons.

4) GRAF SPEE - another ship to be removed. And she looks very strong among T6 cruisers. If only she's got more guns! Also she's the cheapest of these ships at 5000 doubloons. What's the catch?

5) INDIANAPOLIS - we all know how annoying is to deal with radar INDI parked behind an island, and she's got a decent AA against T6 CVs. On the other hand she's got rather mediocre win rate, and she's targeted by half of the enemy team to take her out ASAP. Add to that questionable armor and it seems like surviving on the ship becomes more important than going in and dealing damage. Not sure if I would enjoy that playstyle too much. And she's the most expensive ship in the list at 7800 doubloons.

6) HUANGHE - another clone of LEANDER, which I like. AA is solid + crawling smoke + HE = much more fun to play. However, there's no PA CA line yet, so the ship is also unsuitable for Naval Battle. And since I'm not grinding PA DD line there's not much use it that ship from captain trainer perspective. 5700 doubloons, more expensive than PERTH with similar perks and limitations.

Thank you!

I have all, except the Perth.

Perth doesn't have a Repair Party, if I recall correctly.  That is why I haven't spent actual doubloons on it. 
Had it as a "rental ship" for 24 hours.  On those terms, it was okay, but didn't do anything that another ship I already had could do.

Several of the ships on your list are being removed from the premium shop & the armory soon.
I encourage you to "get 'em while you can".

Graf Spee is more versatile than a DD, and has a Repair Party.
T-61
Z-39

The other ships can wait until you have the funds for them.

Good luck and have fun with your decision process and shopping experience.

With the release of Update 0.10.2, X Somers will cease to be available in the Armory. When Update 0.10.5 goes live, VI Erich Loewenhardt, VII Nelson, VI T-61, VII Haida, VII Z-39, VIII Asashio, VIII Lenin, and VI Admiral Graf Spee will also cease to be available. Ships will not be available to obtain due to a combination of their popularity and combat efficiency. In order to maintain the proper level of diversity in teams in terms of ship composition, these ships will cease to be available for an indefinite period of time, but may return in future.
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0102-italian-battleships-part-2/

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,907 posts
11,042 battles

Of those you listed, T-61, Perth and Graf Spee are the best performers.

• As others have stated, the German Destroyer T-61 has few drawbacks and none of them really matter.  She's an excellent torpedo boat and she has enough guns and hit points to make a passable gunship too.  Tag on her German Hydroacoustic Search and she's the total package that other ships have to respect.
  • A bit of an odd duck, Perth is an often underestimated monster in the right hands.  She's very difficult for battleships to handle when she makes good use of island cover and smoke generator.  She is a baby Mikhail Kutuzov or Belfast in this regard, spamming HE shells from smoke much to the chagrin of larger boats.  She also presents a more formidable threat to destroyers thanks to her HE and smoke.  There are two drawbacks here, though.
    1.) She is exceedingly fragile.  Like "get caught out in the open and get instantly deleted" kinda fragile.  You have no heals either, but your armour is (slightly) better than Leander's.
    2.) She has little value as a commander trainer as there's no tech tree ships for the British Commonwealth.
    If I see a Perth on the enemy roster, she's one of my highest-priority targets to give you an idea.
  • Finally, there's Graf Spee -- the ship singularly responsible for breaking tier VI Clan Battles.  Good guns.  Great torpedoes.  Good heals and a ton of health.  She's historically famous too (though not Famous & Historical like a certain Monarch).

The final deciding factor should really be accessibility, I'm sorry to say.  Both T-61 and Graf Spee are being pulled from the stores very (very) soon.  So I would focus on one of those two.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
28 posts
4,842 battles
17 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I have all, except the Perth.

Perth doesn't have a Repair Party, if I recall correctly.  That is why I haven't spent actual doubloons on it. 
Had it as a "rental ship" for 24 hours.  On those terms, it was okay, but didn't do anything that another ship I already had could do.

Several of the ships on your list are being removed from the premium shop & the armory soon.
I encourage you to "get 'em while you can".

Graf Spee is more versatile than a DD, and has a Repair Party.
T-61
Z-39

The other ships can wait until you have the funds for them.

Good luck and have fun with your decision process and shopping experience.

Thank you Sir!

As I've got doubloons for only one ship, and only one coupon, I'll go with T-61.

Although Graf Spee is an interesting ship to have I'm grinding GE CA line, so having more of the same type is less important, than getting a GE DD, as I'm not grinding GE DD line. In this context T-61 would be a better choice over GRAF. Z-39 is solid, but T-61 still packs more "bang for the buck". If I had enough doubloons I'd buy them all though.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
On 4/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

Thank you Sir!

As I've got doubloons for only one ship, and only one coupon, I'll go with T-61.

Although Graf Spee is an interesting ship to have I'm grinding GE CA line, so having more of the same type is less important, than getting a GE DD, as I'm not grinding GE DD line. In this context T-61 would be a better choice over GRAF. Z-39 is solid, but T-61 still packs more "bang for the buck". If I had enough doubloons I'd buy them all though.

:Smile_honoring:

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
559 posts
7,365 battles
On 4/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • Finally, there's Graf Spee -- the ship singularly responsible for breaking tier VI Clan Battles.  Good guns.  Great torpedoes.  Good heals and a ton of health.  She's historically famous too (though not Famous & Historical like a certain Monarch).

Can you explain your "Famous & Historical" Monarch meme? :Smile_hiding:

As for the question, T-61 is a good DD, fast reload on torps and for some reason someone thought it should have 32 mm pen on it's HE so there's that, it works as a poorman's gunboat capable of doing some damage to even Tier VIII BBs and torpedo spammy torpedo boat. The real downside is the absolute lack of AA.

[WOLF7]
Members
30 posts
5,617 battles

It's looks like you've chosen the T-61, a solid choice. I might also argue for the Graf Spee for the simple reason there's nothing else really like it. DD's are everywhere, and while T-61 is strong there are some other good choices of DD's in the game.

You won't go wrong either way. I just haven't seen anything similar to the Graf Spee in the game (yet). Certainly not mid-tier. It's not really a cruiser play style. It's not really a BB play style. Its...both? Kind of? It is it's own unique beast. Food for thought, if you are still on the fence a bit.

[WORX]
Members
14,123 posts
20,570 battles
On 4/11/2021 at 8:03 AM, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

Hello WOWS veterans!

Thank you!

How about one per class...

• DD
    • T-61
  • Cruiser
    • Graf Spee

This is by process of elimination... However, my criteria may differ from yours.. So buyer beware in that regard.

• Thanks 1

[_TEA_]
Members
34 posts
228 battles
On 4/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, SeaLord_MacKraken said:

Another vote for T-61: she's excellent, and she's being removed soon. A strong candidate, tier-for-tier, for best DD in the game.

Other than her, Haida, for broadly similar reasons (although she's harder to play).

Put coal mod(s) on whichever you buy...

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
Members
187 posts
16,854 battles

I'd look at:

T61 or Haida for DDs

Molotov or Munchen for cruisers,

Florida ? Waarspite? for BBs

• Cool 1