You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Is The Yueyang Viable in Ranked?

6 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts

Looks like it's ok to me. Haven't pulled this ship out for a long time, I had to find a captain to put in it but wasn't too bad for a few quick games in Ranked. I was kind of surprised, but with the combo of the Radar and the stealthy torps it performs pretty decent. I wouldn't take it to Gold league with it but if you own this ship, try it out for Bronze and Silver. 

Yueyang Ranked Wins.jpg

• Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,906 posts

Oh yes. A dab of winnings. In a couple of days back to rank ten from 5 or two or whatever. Start over.

The Good news is that Dock yard will get mooving,,, The feeling when I play the new Lepento tonight and I think won two so far to get to Rank 4 bronze is one that  Its going to be a long night and Ive been treated too much after a earlier ER Trauma incident today. Between gathering my hazy thoughts in a drug fit Wins? Great. Losses/ Its a certainty. The issue is to smile and say think you to both teams and get the next map out.

[O7]
Supertester
442 posts
13,803 battles

I'd be amazed if you could take YY into bronze.

As far as YY goes, she is considered bottom tier among DDs, even losing out to several T9 DDs. 

The first and obvious problem is Smaland. Smaland can do everything radar YY does, but 3x more effectively. YY does have better torps, but it isn't useful in a DD fight. 

Second, what can radar YY actually kill? The whole point of taking radar is to counter the DD. However YY loses a straight DPM fight against the majority of T10 DDs and even some of the T9 DDs. Your only safe option is to radar DDs in smoke and position in such a way that his own smoke blocks vision. No dodging and healing like in Smaland. 

Third, what are your defensive options. You gave up smoke so you could take radar so what happens if a CV comes by or if you take a bad engagement. All other DDs have either a heal and/or smoke to help them get out of bad engagements. Radar YY has none of that. 

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,124 battles
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

...after a earlier ER Trauma incident today. Between gathering my hazy thoughts in a drug fit

That explains some of the... let's just say, "a bit odd"...wording in a couple of your posts tonight.

• Cool 1

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,074 posts
27,844 battles

The fact that you cant hit DDs woth torps is a big no go in my mind. A si ge torp hit on another DD is generally devestating to HP if not a full out kill. 

Like SAT said, you also lose the gun fight with most other DDs and trade off smoke for radar.

You'll be extremely team dependent if you take a YY because of these factors, and team dependent ships do not work if your team isnt good.

[WPORT]
Members
10,985 posts
15,481 battles
8 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Looks like it's ok to me. Haven't pulled this ship out for a long time, I had to find a captain to put in it but wasn't too bad for a few quick games in Ranked. I was kind of surprised, but with the combo of the Radar and the stealthy torps it performs pretty decent. I wouldn't take it to Gold league with it but if you own this ship, try it out for Bronze and Silver. 

Yueyang Ranked Wins.jpg

An interesting combination of virtues, vices & quirks.
The Radar consumable allows her to counter-spot other DD's.  (At the expense of giving-up the smoke generator.)
While her torpedoes cannot hit other DD's, she could light-up opposition ships and worth with allies to sink them with gunfire or other ordnance.
I like the notion of a full-concealment build with this ship.

Good luck and have fun.  :-)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yueyang

Edited to add.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar

DD Yueyang Wows_flag_Pan_Asia.png X 25 7.5 km 120 3
Edited by Wolfswetpaws