You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
XyinTheGarchomp

Idea to (potentially) fix an aspect of CV's

11 comments in this topic

[ISLHP]
Members
2 posts
6,631 battles

Ever since I started watching a youtuber called Potato Quality, I have been thinking about what could be done to make CV's more balanced. I've been stumped for a while but I recently had an idea to fix one aspect of CV's, their spotting potential. One of the most important things a CV can do is spot ships early game and later game, perma-spotting destroyers. What I am proposing is to not remove the ability to spot, but remove its ability to provide visual spotting. In a typhoon weather event, it reduces the ability to see ships visually to 8 km, but you can still see them on the mini-map. I'm proposing you make plane spotting from the cv the same way. All plane spotting will do is reveal them on the mini-map until another ship spots them. CV's would retain their sight. Plane spotting could also make what ships being spotted unknown to other players, maybe? I not sure if anyone has had this idea before and I hope I am not reposting an old idea. I am new to forums but I assume this is where an idea like this goes. Thoughts?

• Cool 1
  • Meh 4

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
1 hour ago, XyinTheGarchomp said:

Ever since I started watching a youtuber called Potato Quality, I have been thinking about what could be done to make CV's more balanced. I've been stumped for a while but I recently had an idea to fix one aspect of CV's, their spotting potential. One of the most important things a CV can do is spot ships early game and later game, perma-spotting destroyers. What I am proposing is to not remove the ability to spot, but remove its ability to provide visual spotting. In a typhoon weather event, it reduces the ability to see ships visually to 8 km, but you can still see them on the mini-map. I'm proposing you make plane spotting from the cv the same way. All plane spotting will do is reveal them on the mini-map until another ship spots them. CV's would retain their sight. Plane spotting could also make what ships being spotted unknown to other players, maybe? I not sure if anyone has had this idea before and I hope I am not reposting an old idea. I am new to forums but I assume this is where an idea like this goes. Thoughts?

I think it kind of removes the teamwork part of Cv play—- not that there was much teamwork in the game currently. Just a thought

BTW are you suggesting that CV spots is like radar spots?

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles
4 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

I think it kind of removes the teamwork part of Cv play—- not that there was much teamwork in the game currently. Just a thought

Boomer never uses a picture. Because they are flaming hot. Reduces harassment. I spotted that.

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
5 hours ago, XyinTheGarchomp said:

1st off...Welcome to the Forums :-)

Unfortunately though...that idea has been suggested...many times...so it's not a 1st...even though it's your 1st post.

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
13 hours ago, XyinTheGarchomp said:

According to PQ your not allowed to have opinions unless your as great as he is. His own words not mine.

Your better off not watching PQ if you want have opinions.

Edited by jags_domain

[ISLHP]
Members
2 posts
6,631 battles
On 4/11/2021 at 2:57 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1st off...Welcome to the Forums :-)

Unfortunately though...that idea has been suggested...many times...so it's not a 1st...even though it's your 1st post.

I figured as much, since the mechanic is already in the game. Just thought I might as well voice it since you never know. Oh, and thank you.

20 hours ago, jags_domain said:

According to PQ your not allowed to have opinions unless your as great as he is. His own words not mine.

Your better off not watching PQ if you want have opinions.

He does have a lot of experience, or at least claims too. That said, he is probably just jaded by the game, since he seems so unwilling to listen until he gets his way or finds some one as good as him with an alternate perspective. That's not going to happen though since anyone who put that time in is going to be equally as jaded or more likely dismiss them as not on his level.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, Boomer625 said:

No, not exactly like radar. More like if radar showed them on the mini-map but just like in typhoon weather, you can't see the model of the ship.

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
On 4/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, Boomer625 said:

He's just suggesting CV spotting just "show the outline" like typhoon spotting does.

He's new to the forums so doesn't know the forum vernacular for it.

5 hours ago, XyinTheGarchomp said:

No, not exactly like radar. More like if radar showed them on the mini-map but just like in typhoon weather, you can't see the model of the ship.

BTW OP the term you were looking for is "show the outline" :-)

Think it would have been more clear if he had started a new paragraph at "In a typhoon...".

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
7 hours ago, XyinTheGarchomp said:

I figured as much, since the mechanic is already in the game. Just thought I might as well voice it since you never know. Oh, and thank you.

He does have a lot of experience, or at least claims too. That said, he is probably just jaded by the game, since he seems so unwilling to listen until he gets his way or finds some one as good as him with an alternate perspective. That's not going to happen though since anyone who put that time in is going to be equally as jaded or more likely dismiss them as not on his level.

Well said. Allot of Youtubers seem to ne very jaded.  Sea Raptor is not but is rare.  ashkance is very good as well.

Welcome to the forums.

Edited by jags_domain

Beta Testers
68 posts
On 4/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, XyinTheGarchomp said:

One of the most important things a CV can do is spot ships early game and later game, perma-spotting destroyers.

First off CV's cannot perma-spot anything, their planes can be shot down and they tend to want to use their planes, rather than have them fly in circles all game.  More importantly, people have requested this, or some version of this, ever since the CV rework happened.  Yet WG has not given in here, perhaps this is because they want CV's to spot.  If you have been around a while, you remember DD's being able to invisi-shoot (there was no gun bloom), you remember when there was no radar, and no sonar.  Yet WG removed the DD's ability to stay invisible while shooting, they added both radar and sonar.  Almost as if they thought the DD's ability to control vision, was too powerful since the only counter play was another DD.  Now, ships have some counter play against DD's control of vision, at least at the higher tiers.  But what about tier 6 and lower, there is no radar, sonar is very short ranged thus if you remove the CV's ability to spot, you are left with only DD vs DD play to fight for vision control.  Maybe, just maybe this is why WG wants CV's in their game.  Re-read that, WG WANTS CV's in THEIR game.

CV's have been in this game since it's beginnings.  Their power has been greatly curbed since the CV rework.  Under RTS days, ships could be removed at will by the CV.  You played in the RTS CV game, simply to provide a targets for the opposing CV.  You could not survive a good CV player's attacks.  Not only that, but under RTS days, CV's could perma spot an area of the map by leaving an 'empty' squadron there (i.e. one that expended their ordnance).  I'm sure you've been in those lower tier games, where all your DD's die in the first few minutes, the games where you have little chance to win at that point.  Having CV's present means you actually have some counter-play against the enemy DD's, at least on one side of the map, you're still most likely to lose, but at least you have a chance.  Your proposal would strengthen DD's in those situations, they are already some of the most influential ships in the game, perhaps WG doesn't want to make them even stronger?

So you can either adapt to the game the way WG wants it, or stop playing it - your choice.

Edited by Moenrg
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,161 posts
9,158 battles

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah we all have a lot of suggestions and this is definitely one the popular ones. WG really doesn't want this to be different though it seems. The two biggest things for me I think are to make the interceptor the standard and remove the other type of fighter. Another solution is to have a fuel time for plans before they auto return to the carrier.