You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

OK My Desktop Died Almost a Year Ago

10 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
18,192 battles

And I and my landlord got tired of my having to borrow his, So I took a leap of faith and got Lenovo Legion 5  this one to be exactimage.thumb.png.3a43a77a688f3309777f2fcd15f9222b.png, Please wish me better luck than I had with my desktop

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,142 posts
25,474 battles
3 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Please wish me better luck than I had with my desktop

Nice machine! Should run WoWS at max settings at 90+ fps easy. Grats on the sweet laptop.

• Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
16,908 posts
22,074 battles
18 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

And I and my landlord got tired of my having to borrow his, So I took a leap of faith and got Lenovo Legion 5  this one to be exact

Just so you know... The "mobile" version of the GPU card will not have the same performance as the "desktop" GPU version.

Few things

• Storage is a bit on the low side
  • Ram memory is perfect
  • 15.6 is good screen/monitor
    • The info not addressed is the refresh rate on the monitor... Yeah its good to have a decent GPU card but if your monitor refreshes at say 90Mhz. Then that is your limit (even though your GPU card can do more)
  • VERY IMPORTANT* Check the watts input for the laptop... You may have to buy a higher watts cord in order for your machine to handle peek performance loads. GET IT.

1. Make sure, the fans and the cooling system works..
  2. Make sure you have enough WATTS to feed the performance demands..

IF you have any questions... Shout them my way and I can send you to the right guy with the answer you need.

GL

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Thanks 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
18,192 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Just so you know... The "mobile" version of the GPU card will not have the same performance as the "desktop" GPU version.

Few things

• Storage is a bit on the low side
  • Ram memory is perfect
  • 15.6 is good screen/monitor
    • The info not addressed is the refresh rate on the monitor... Yeah its good to have a decent GPU card but if your monitor refreshes at say 90Mhz. Then that is your limit (even though your GPU card can do more)
  • VERY IMPORTANT* Check the watts input for the laptop... You may have to buy a higher watts cord in order for your machine to handle peek performance loads. GET IT.

1. Make sure, the fans and the cooling system works..
  2. Make sure you have enough WATTS to feed the performance demands..

IF you have any questions... Shout them my way and I can send you to the right guy with the answer you need.

GL

:Smile_great:Had these on my other lower end laptops image.thumb.png.6f4f61a24bf20a154a10142d1ff4382e.png And unlike the reviews I've been very happy with them so I got a new one for this laptop, Hopefully the laptop will holdup better than my landlords desktop

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
18,192 battles

PS  this will be my fourth laptop the 1st was a dell and it did OK for a long time my next 2 were Lenovo office laptops and I was pretty happy with them, So after doing a little research I could far worse than a Lenovo so that's what I got, Too whilst I did see some people unhappy with Lenovo I saw just as many with the others so..................:Smile_trollface::Smile_honoring:Thanks for the advice and good wishs this machines gonna have to last me a Looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng  Time!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,142 posts
25,474 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

True, but much depends on the power delivery to it and power limits set for it. A mobile 1660ti is still going to kick this game's aft at 1080p. Considering I got like 150+ fps on my non-Ti desktop 1660, I'm expecting even with cautious power settings a mobile one will do 80 ~ 90+ easy.

• Cool 1

[OPG4]
Members
1,181 posts
2,784 battles
2 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

And I and my landlord got tired of my having to borrow his, So I took a leap of faith and got Lenovo Legion 5  this one to be exactimage.thumb.png.3a43a77a688f3309777f2fcd15f9222b.png, Please wish me better luck than I had with my desktop

Nice! Me still here with a salvaged PC and 2009 era laptop on life support (enternal  charging, three cooling systems) that is slowly burning my fingerprints off :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
16,908 posts
22,074 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

True, but much depends on the power delivery to it and power limits set for it. A mobile 1660ti is still going to kick this game's aft at 1080p. Considering I got like 150+ fps on my non-Ti desktop 1660, I'm expecting even with cautious power settings a mobile one will do 80 ~ 90+ easy.

Not much worried about the GPU since its a good one.. I am Skeptical of the "supporting cast" components.  

• How fast will the processor (CPU) will handle the performance load required.
  • How much of a drag/slow down, will the HD have at say %50 capacity, on the laptop running at top performance level.

These are the scenarios running on my head rent free for the OP's Laptop.

Gaming with laptops is a dangerous proposition as @AJTP89 can confess when, he helped me with my warped battery issue some time ago...

If the OP wants a fast computer. then I have to dig more dirt on his CPU performance information.

Now if this is "Only" for WOWS he'll be fine but I dont like the limited HD space...

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,502 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Not much worried about the GPU since its a good one.. I am Skeptical of the "supporting cast" components.  

• How fast will the processor (CPU) will handle the performance load required.
  • How much of a drag/slow down, will the HD have at say %50 capacity, on the laptop running at top performance level.

These are the scenarios running on my head rent free for the OP's Laptop.

Gaming with laptops is a dangerous proposition as @AJTP89 can confess when, he helped me with my warped battery issue some time ago...

If the OP wants a fast computer. then I have to dig more dirt on his CPU performance information.

Now if this is "Only" for WOWS he'll be fine but I dont like the limited HD space...

Yeah, what I've realized is laptops really aren't ideal for gaming unless you're talking the really high end ones, at which point you're carrying around something bigger than some desktops. My 15" laptop with a 1050ti (actually got it for only just a bit more than you paid) was fine for WOWS, but did a pretty good jet engine impression while doing it. I was concerned about longevity because I hope to use laptop for work for a few more years. Upgraded to a desktop a couple months ago, and while the hardware is better, the biggest difference is I'm not having to dump a massive amount of heat from a tiny space when I game. I can hit the 75fps cap without spooling up the GPU fans. My advice would be if you're not restricted to one machine you have to carry around just get a desktop for gaming.

On your specs, that CPU is great. The GPU will do great with WOWS, only concern is it's now three generations old. Still though, WOWS is designed for potatoes, so you should be fine. You say you want it for a LONG time though, and I'm not sure a mobile 1660ti is going to be that. Unfortunately GPUs are ridiculously hard to get right now, so if you wanted it now it's probably the best option.

Power, eh, as long as you make sure your watts are good you should be OK. Play while plugged in. I can't imagine that amount of heat is good for the battery either, but no good way to measure that. I haven't had an issue, but Naval has.

The SSD is really the biggest issue. 512GB will fill up fast. Fortunately however storage is cheap and you can get an external hard drive easily to fix that issue. Or even upgrade down the road if you want. So it's an easily solvable issue.

Your RAM is fine. The WOWS port will use all of it, but that's because it seems to be ridiculously unoptimized and will pretty much just take however much you have.

Overall, that's a very solid machine and should have no problems with WOWS. I'm not sure what it will look like in a few years, but then again you can say for any piece of hardware.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
18,557 posts
42 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

The SSD is really the biggest issue. 512GB will fill up fast. Fortunately however storage is cheap and you can get an external hard drive easily to fix that issue.

In order to keep your SSD functioning a long time it's best to not let it get much more than 70% full. An external USB HDD works well for storing pictures and video files. If a system has USB 3.x it will transfer data reasonably quickly. From its specs, the laptop mentioned has at least one USB 3.1 port. A 2 TB external drive is only about $60 bucks.