You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST 0.10.4, new ships

64 comments in this topic

[DVYJC]
Members
4,257 posts
10,920 battles

hmmmm... Congress continues to not pass the sanity test in terms of balancing, but maybe failing a sanity test is good given her namesake.

The Haarlem is erroneously showing the picture for Java.

I think WG must really be betting on this Air Strike thing to make these good. Depending on how that ends up working on, De Zeven Provincien could be really strong. It's not really clear to me why Air Strike should be a Dutch gimmick. We just don't know enough about it to say whether it'll be busted OP or just busted. It sounds like the range you can use it at is 8-10 km from your ship. So there may be tactics where you are maintaining stealth and using Air Strike to harass battleships. A lot will depend on how long it takes the bombers to get there, what the fall time is on the bombs, what the actual saturation of the target area is with the bombs (i.e. number of bombs dropped vs. size of target area and sigma on the drop), what the HP of the bombers is, etc. Really that first and third point I think are the most important. If it takes a minute for the bombers to arrive, there's no way to aim this 'weapon' with any accuracy. Seems like it's going to be really hard to balance and a source of many player complaints.

From the screenshot, looks like eight aircraft each dropping two HE bombs. That's... not a ton. Each one must do a lot of damage or else it's like an extremely inaccurate RN CV carpet bomber with a lot fewer bombs, and nobody is hugely enamored of those as it is.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 3
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,322 posts
30,413 battles

Honestly, I see no good reason to not leave this Netherlands cruiser line within the Pan European tech tree, other than pandering to one nation's national pride.  It seems to me that this was the entire reason the Pan European "nation" was created in the first place, i.e. to act as a catch all for smaller nations not large enough to support major navies.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 3

[WOLFG]
Members
12,684 posts
11,804 battles

Well, there goes farming ribbon missions in Naval Battles for Pan-EU dds.

[SIM]
Members
5,849 posts
9,315 battles

Interesting announcements, other than USS Congress, which should be deleted from existence and never mentioned again.

Edited by SkaerKrow
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
51 posts
24,634 battles

Please note that with Update 0.10.6, Tier IX destroyer Friesland will be moved from the "Europe" nation to the "Netherlands" nation. 

If I have a dedicated 21 pt. Friesland captain, will that captain also be transferred to the Netherlands nationality? Or would I have to recruit/retrain a Netherlands commander.

Members
51 posts
24,634 battles
Just now, SkaerKrow said:

So my question is whether or not Friesland will remain Pan-European, or if it will be shifted over to the new Dutch nation. Interesting announcements, other than USS Congress, which should be deleted from existence and never mentioned again.

In the post it says Friesland will be moved to the Netherlands nationality in 10.6

[HINON]
Members
9,007 posts
13,171 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Well, there goes farming ribbon missions in Naval Battles for Pan-EU dds.

Halland wishes to know your location

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
294 posts
10,111 battles
44 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I see no good reason to not leave this Netherlands cruiser line within the Pan European tech tree, other than pandering to one nation's national pride.  It seems to me that this was the entire reason the Pan European "nation" was created in the first place, i.e. to act as a catch all for smaller nations not large enough to support major navies.

More captain training!

:P

[USN]
Members
1,643 posts
21,155 battles

1: Will Friesland become a binational ship in a way considering we’ll soon be losing a lot of captain training and access to Swervin Jersey

2: Air Strike: You managed to gimmickify Italian Sea mines, I’m impressed

3: how does De Ruyter have 15.2km of range, but then no other ship eclipses this until T8?

4: the Dutch being their own tree opens up a possible Dutch DD and submarine line too, as well as a new legendary commander like Karl Doorman(sp) or some other Dutch commander @Lert knows of

Congress: Judging how miracles happen more often than an act of Congress, Ima guess this thing will remain busted all through testing and be released as is

D7P: All hail the new king of Dakka. Also very stealthy, and some speed potential

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,336 posts

Can we get an esimated time of when WG will be adding more content to the game ...I mean it's all great that new ships are falling at us like river trout, but how about expanding the REST of the game .

Oh I know . "SOON™"

:cap_popcorn:

• Thanks 2

[LANCE]
Members
898 posts
6,837 battles
43 minutes ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

Please note that with Update 0.10.6, Tier IX destroyer Friesland will be moved from the "Europe" nation to the "Netherlands" nation. 

If I have a dedicated 21 pt. Friesland captain, will that captain also be transferred to the Netherlands nationality? Or would I have to recruit/retrain a Netherlands commander.

I’m in the same boat mate (pun intended)! Let’s take a step back here and look at what else is being released : A new Dutch CL. So, if you buy the admiral pack you’ll have a Captain with 10pts (or is it 13 now?) that because we’ve been blessed with the skill rework will be able to be used in Friesland also!! Could this be the thinking??? Cynical, I know but it fits the thinking :Smile_sceptic:

[SALVO]
Members
26,322 posts
30,413 battles
11 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

I’m in the same boat mate (pun intended)! Let’s take a step back here and look at what else is being released : A new Dutch CL. So, if you buy the admiral pack you’ll have a Captain with 10pts (or is it 13 now?) that because we’ve been blessed with the skill rework will be able to be used in Friesland also!! Could this be the thinking??? Cynical, I know but it fits the thinking :Smile_sceptic:

I'm also in the same boat.  I use my Ostergotland captain as my dedicated Blyskawica, Friesland, and Smaland captain (all gunboats to some degree or other).  And this entire splitting of the Netherlands into a separate tech tree seems like a travesty to me.

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,338 battles

They missed the opportunity to give Dutch special smoke.

Edited by Karstodes
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

Members
127 posts
2,122 battles

Now that the Netherlands have their own tech tree, will Austria be getting its own tech tree and BB line or will it be like the “Pan European” DD line where there’s only one none Swedish DD. 

Anyways, I’m not entirely sure why the Dutch in particular would have an air support consumable. Especially, considering the fact that in the early stages of WW2 the Dutch had some of the best AA fire control systems in the world, though having AA as your entire lines gimmick isn’t exactly a good thing. To me a Commonwealth line would make more sense to have air support as their gimmick. Alternatively perhaps their gimmick could be that they have the best CL/CA concealment at their tier. (especially near islands)8F61BC60-222C-42A8-9FA4-2EC8BECE26F9.jpeg.244c71968fb8c847f406051ebdb4a236.jpeg

Other than that the line looks interesting since the Dutch are the only nation to get a Large Cruiser through their tech tree.

Edited by skytank_invader
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,231 posts
28,122 battles
45 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

D7P: All hail the new king of Dakka. Also very stealthy, and some speed potential

Star Fleet (Rules) Battles; Module K; section R; rule 3.22A...

So; they’re adding a Klingon D-7P (Pseudo-fighter Tender) to the game? :Smile_hiding:

(Reference link.)

(I am, perhaps, a tad on the geezerish side for even remembering that there was/is a D-7P in SFB.)

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder
9,062 posts

Hasn't the United States Congress suffered enough this year already?    X'D    At a casual glance, I really can't see anything that makes it stand out against the other ships of the USN aside from a unique gun config and it's yet another Tier VIII premium for whales to throw harpoons into.  You have Wichita and Anchorage already, and Montpelier if you don't mind kawaii.  What makes Congress so special?

[CAAT]
Members
1,706 posts
4,990 battles
48 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Hasn't the United States Congress suffered enough this year already?    X'D

There's DEFINITELY a joke in there about setting Congress on fire or destroying Congress lols :P Maybe even sinking or torpedoing Congress. XD

But yeah, that aside, I'm still waiting for Wargaming to get off their butts and release Wee Vee '44 and Nevada '42. I mean, THOSE are ships that the majority of the playerbase wants, not this random downtiered Alaska variant. Sure, it looks Ok, but I mean, it really is just an Alaska with 2 less guns. At Tier 8.

Edited by SaiIor_Moon
  • Cool 2

[SOUP]
Modder
9,062 posts
10 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

There's DEFINITELY a joke in there about setting Congress on fire or destroying Congress lols :P Maybe even sinking or torpedoing Congress. XD

But yeah, that aside, I'm still waiting for Wargaming to get off their butts and release Wee Vee '44 and Nevada '42. I mean, THOSE are ships that the majority of the playerbase wants, not this random downtiered Alaska variant. Sure, it looks Ok, but I mean, it really is just an Alaska with 2 less guns. At Tier 8.

The problem there is they haven't touched anything under Tier 7 in..... a while, I can't even remember the last premium ship that was around to see Prohibition

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CAAT]
Members
1,706 posts
4,990 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

The problem there is they haven't touched anything under Tier 7 in..... a while, I can't even remember the last premium ship that was around to see Prohibition

Agincourt is coming, and that's Tier 5 I think. So maybe there's hope for Tier 7 and under ships like Wee Vee '44 and Nevada in 0.10.5?

[ARGSY]
Members
24,491 posts
18,502 battles

@Hapa_Fodder, it's absolutely vital that we get a swift and fair resolution on the captain question. A whole lot of people are going to be rightly enraged if WG mishandles this. I was looking forward to cross-operating EU captains between Smaland/Halland and Friesland, many others are already doing so, and now all that looks like potentially going out the window.

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,981 battles
3 hours ago, skytank_invader said:

Now that the Netherlands have their own tech tree, will Austria be getting its own tech tree and BB line or will it be like the “Pan European” DD line where there’s only one none Swedish DD. 

I just hope we get an Austrian BB line! Lots of designs out there that you could make happen!

[RLGN]
Members
16,231 posts
28,122 battles
2 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

...not this random downtiered Alaska variant. Sure, it looks Ok, but I mean, it really is just an Alaska with 2 less guns. At Tier 8.

If I understood what I saw in the picture, (forward/aft two guns, superfiring three guns,) perhaps it could be called a fat Dallas two tiers higher?

Members
199 posts
4,590 battles

So the Dutch ships,we'll see, but all in all I am pleased they are being added and interested in seeing how they play. Unless the thought is that the Dutch have enough ships for a bb and destroyer line too I do not know why they are not being added to the pan European tree, similarly to Swedish destroyers.

I really, really think that Congress is a step in the wrong direction for the game and hope to see at a minimum major remodeling and rebalancing, at most just full stop cancellation.

[WPORT]
Members
9,942 posts
14,430 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Star Fleet (Rules) Battles; Module K; section R; rule 3.22A...

So; they’re adding a Klingon D-7P (Pseudo-fighter Tender) to the game? :Smile_hiding:

(Reference link.)

(I am, perhaps, a tad on the geezerish side for even remembering that there was/is a D-7P in SFB.)

:cap_look:

Spoiler

• Cool 1