You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Big_Ape

Game help

25 comments in this topic

[APES]
[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,960 battles

Does anyone know of anyone besides Lord Zath I tried him could not get him to have free time when I have free time He's in school so hard.

I drive a truck most generally I stop anywhere from 6:00 to 8:00 at night in the evening, I am getting frustrated about other players I get with I'm tired of losing most of the time Yes it is my fault also.

I am still struggling to get better at this game I know some of my problem which pertains to situation awareness and positioning I don't know why this is so hard for me to do but it's just if somebody knows somebody that's either not in school which I know that's hard that wouldn't mind taking me under their wing providing they have more win rate than me to help me get better in this game. If none of this makes sense just ask I'll try to explain thank s in advance

Members
5,723 posts
11,145 battles

Watch videos from iChase, Zath and the like - they have lots of good videos and then you could also attach videos here and get help with your game play.  With 1K battles you do have a LOT to learn about the mechanics of how things work and then put the knowledge to use...

• Cool 1

[BB-57]
Members
406 posts
15,604 battles

Truly wish I could help, as your request seems so honest. 2130 is when I get up for work, so we are on opposite schedules. All I can say is you WILL get better, but it will take practice, lots and lots of practice. In the meantime, have fun ! You will get better. With 1,000 games under your belt, you are just getting started. 

Ok, I just stat-checked you... You're doing better than me , play,  Have Fun. I wouldn't worry about anything in this game, you'll do alright.

[GGBOY]
Members
386 posts
1,619 battles

Positioning and situational awareness was also one of the things I struggled with before I became unicum.

If you go on Potato_Quality youtube channel he started a new series of videos which thoroughly talk about each map, and how to settup good crossfires, torp lanes, radar spots, etc. 

Also you probably should increase mini-map size which might help you also. How you increase it is by pressing the plus (+) key, and how to decrease it is to press minus (-) key. 

Take advantage of enemy teams mistakes.

• When the enemy team does a lemming train do not bowtank on that flank or fight enemy face to face in most cases depending on what you are using. Instead, settup a crossfire on the side which will force the enemy to to angle to you or the ships they are pushing against. If you are using a torp DD launch spreads of torpedoes as a crossfire also. If you are a gunbote DD, smoke up in a safe area and farm the pushers, or even better by smoking up a light cruiser friend so both of you can take advantage of your smokescreen which will double the DPM. 
  • Learn your shell arcs so you have a general idea what islands you can lob shells over.
  • When you get exposed on the open water with no smokescreens or an island. Use your WASD hacks, and also slowing down/speeding up. Always take prop mod on all DDs, and CAs in most cases.

Simple things like above can make a huge impact on your stats, and also on the outcome of battles

To increase wr you might want to try finding some friends with 55%wr+ so you can do triple divisions which increase your chance of winning.

To increase PR:

PR is measured by damage, frags, wins, and performance compared to rest of playerbase. Don't play new lines released since it's hard increasing your PR with them until a lot of battles are played with them by the rest of the playerbase. Play older lines (Yamato, Montana, DM, Gearing, etc.). I highly recommend Hindenburg and Gearing for starters.

Set yourself small goals first, because I'm sure you probably set yourself a goal like "Get to 60%wr". Making big goals usually will make you frustrated at times so make yourself small goals so that you can hop a goal at a time.

A few examples for your case are:

• Slowly increase your wr to 55%, then to 58%, and from there to 60%.
  • Slowly increase your avg damage from 54k to 60k damage, and from there to 65k

Try playing a few battles here and there. Try not blowing out on one night. 

Don't be alarmed that your wr will never increase or PR. You're still a little over 400 battles which can still be easily increased. Some unicums started off 40%ers at 5k battles. 

Good news is that you can still be unicum. Just take it slowly, and do not burn yourself out because usually one of the causes for major downfalls in stats is frustration. When you start playing bad then immediately stop and do something else because players sometimes get into the mindset of "I can do better next game". Then they lose, then lose, then lose, and lose each time thinking "I can do better next game" or "I'll be on a better team". Which usually results in spiraling downward stats.

If you're still in the wows mindset, but playing badly that day then watch a twitch streamer or few youtube videos. I highly recommend Potato_Quality for both.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 3

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,369 posts

Unicum and superunicum is a unnecessary goal. A form of wasted effort. I am super unicum in Coop but a total shite oppositie in any game involving a human opponet. So it means nothing to me or anyone as far as stats are concerned. Win rate is not applicable. You already know you lose 10 for every 3 or so won in ranked etc. SO thats out. Thousands of battles? Blah big deal. It only highlights how much computer time and electricity you burned playing this thing and other games in the last 20 years. This one has been around almost 6 for me. Some games are approaching 15 years on steam online for me. I play those once a month or so and they are still fairly active.

In other words its just Stats. If you like Stats then enjoy them. Those of us who could not be bothered with them usually have them private because I myself dont care about them anyway and when they are brought in to a conversation its a negative ammunition that is not relevant and wastes everyones time. Wows and WG knows damn well overall how the community of all players are doing. And then applies bans or nerf hammers to those that try to rise head and shoulders above the masses.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,806 posts
5,996 battles
2 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

Does anyone know of anyone besides Lord Zath I tried him could not get him to have free time when I have free time He's in school so hard.

I drive a truck most generally I stop anywhere from 6:00 to 8:00 at night in the evening, I am getting frustrated about other players I get with I'm tired of losing most of the time Yes it is my fault also.

I am still struggling to get better at this game I know some of my problem which pertains to situation awareness and positioning I don't know why this is so hard for me to do but it's just if somebody knows somebody that's either not in school which I know that's hard that wouldn't mind taking me under their wing providing they have more win rate than me to help me get better in this game. If none of this makes sense just ask I'll try to explain thank s in advance

I will send you a PM when i get off work. Got some ideas you might like.

Members
84 posts
9,994 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

Unicum and superunicum is a unnecessary goal. A form of wasted effort. I am super unicum in Coop but a total shite oppositie in any game involving a human opponet. So it means nothing to me or anyone as far as stats are concerned. Win rate is not applicable. You already know you lose 10 for every 3 or so won in ranked etc. SO thats out. Thousands of battles? Blah big deal. It only highlights how much computer time and electricity you burned playing this thing and other games in the last 20 years. This one has been around almost 6 for me. Some games are approaching 15 years on steam online for me. I play those once a month or so and they are still fairly active.

In other words its just Stats. If you like Stats then enjoy them. Those of us who could not be bothered with them usually have them private because I myself dont care about them anyway and when they are brought in to a conversation its a negative ammunition that is not relevant and wastes everyones time. Wows and WG knows damn well overall how the community of all players are doing. And then applies bans or nerf hammers to those that try to rise head and shoulders above the masses.

Dont sweat it, their bug will be fixed, tears incoming.

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles

1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

Unicum and superunicum is a unnecessary goal. A form of wasted effort. I am super unicum in Coop but a total shite oppositie in any game involving a human opponet. So it means nothing to me or anyone as far as stats are concerned.

I agree with the comments about unicum/super unicum being unnecessary goals, but it's not necessarily a wasted effort if that is your goal in the game. But, that's a personal decision, and if that's not something you want to commit to, that's fine. 

1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

Win rate is not applicable. You already know you lose 10 for every 3 or so won in ranked etc. SO thats out. Thousands of battles? Blah big deal. It only highlights how much computer time and electricity you burned playing this thing and other games in the last 20 years.

W/R is applicable, and I'm tired of people arguing it's not. Over a sufficient sample of games, W/R will tell you how much influence a player is able to have over a battle. A good player can have more influence, leading to a higher W/R. Vice versa for a bad player. Yes, there will be games where no matter what you do, you will be unable to change the outcome of the match. FOr example, I think in about 30% of games, there is nothing you can do to prevent your team from losing. In another 30% of games, you could be AFK the entire match, and your team would still win. That leaves about 40% of games that are influenced by your actions in battle, good or bad. That is what W/R shows you, how much influence you have over those battles.

If a player is losing 10 games for every 3 wins in ranked, that just means that player sucks.

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,121 battles
4 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS and it’s good to see you’re trying to improve! 

I have copied some links below that will be of assistance generally. 

In answer to your question about positioning, it’s hard to be specific as it depends on maps, the ships you are driving, and what and where the enemy is. So hopefully the below is helpful.

Ultimately, being able to read the maps and anticipate what the enemy is going to do is very challenging for new players - it will simply come with experience.  

Still, there are a few key points that you can apply early on that can hurry up this learning process: 

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out whether you are on the strong or the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier as it can impact on how you play the particular kind of ship you are in - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer (whether top tier or not), and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team as they are the closest and a high value target.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks is always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Dont ever die for a Capture Point - it is almost always better to fall back (deciding to retreat is always best done really early), stay alive and return to capture the point later than dying where you stand - because the enemy will have now captured the point and got a kill. 
      • There are exceptions to this principle (like holding on just before the end of battle, delaying large numbers of enemy ships by discouraging them from coming around an island and facing your torpedoes at close range, etc).  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
  • Staying alive as long as you can and doing your job well are important contributors to winning, but controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (patricularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
    • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  

Finally, its really important to recognise that losses will happen and to demonstrate resilience when confronted by defeat. 

• In PVP, it is typical for players to lose 50% of their matches. 
  • Losing steaks are deeply frustrating but they really do happen. 
  • Even the very best of players, with vast experience, fully equipped ships and highly trained captains, divisioned up with 2 other players of similar high calibre, stilllose over 30% of the time. 

Before rushing into the next battle, think about what you pesonally could have done differently or better to not die as early, or not lose that battle - remember, your error could have been 5 minutes before you actually were sunk.  WoWS is more like a game of chess than a FPS.  

There are a range of great resources to help new players; both on these forums and on youtube etc; I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 

• Thanks 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
5 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

There is a discord server called 'Help Me', I wish I could link it, but not my server to link.  It's open to everyone and offers really good advice to all players.   :Smile_great:  As it's discord, messages can be left up (and/or) find active players to div with, which may help with your busy schedule.

I may have got the link from @El2aZeR, but not 100% sure.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
1,659 posts
4,989 battles
4 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Watch videos from iChase, Zath and the like - they have lots of good videos and then you could also attach videos here and get help with your game play.  With 1K battles you do have a LOT to learn about the mechanics of how things work and then put the knowledge to use...

I'd also recommend Potato Quality, he seems super-knowledgeable and I appreciate his view on things. +1 for the iChase videos too, they are REALLY helpful, especially the 1st one of his How To Get Good At World Of Warships videos.

[APES]
[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,960 battles
1 minute ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

I'd also recommend Potato Quality, he seems super-knowledgeable and I appreciate his view on things. +1 for the iChase videos too, they are REALLY helpful, especially the 1st one of his How To Get Good At World Of Warships videos.

yup i watch him plus malteseknight i just have trouble doing what they do plus i do watch ichase videos and potato quality also just putting it play is ruff for me does not seem to work out right i have bad luck .

Members
5,723 posts
11,145 battles
1 hour ago, Big_Ape said:

yup i watch him plus malteseknight i just have trouble doing what they do plus i do watch ichase videos and potato quality also just putting it play is ruff for me does not seem to work out right i have bad luck .

It takes awhile - even after 5K games and got personal help from Chase I used Chase, Flamu, and Notsers suggestions and combined some together.  It took me a good while to get decent.

Your stats are very good for 433 random games - especially the hit ratio and survival  At 433 random games I was in the 35% WR with a 20% hit ratio.  You are doing fine - play more mid-tiers to try things out.  The higher tiers take a different style and mindset.

Edited by CylonRed

[BONKS]
Members
2,850 posts
52 battles
8 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

I am still struggling to get better at this game

3 hours ago, madgiecool said:

I may have got the link from @El2aZeR, but not 100% sure.

Here you go:

https://discord.gg/c4vK9rM

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,369 posts
4 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

I agree with the comments about unicum/super unicum being unnecessary goals, but it's not necessarily a wasted effort if that is your goal in the game. But, that's a personal decision, and if that's not something you want to commit to, that's fine. 

W/R is applicable, and I'm tired of people arguing it's not. Over a sufficient sample of games, W/R will tell you how much influence a player is able to have over a battle. A good player can have more influence, leading to a higher W/R. Vice versa for a bad player. Yes, there will be games where no matter what you do, you will be unable to change the outcome of the match. FOr example, I think in about 30% of games, there is nothing you can do to prevent your team from losing. In another 30% of games, you could be AFK the entire match, and your team would still win. That leaves about 40% of games that are influenced by your actions in battle, good or bad. That is what W/R shows you, how much influence you have over those battles.

If a player is losing 10 games for every 3 wins in ranked, that just means that player sucks.

Make that a team sucks in the narrative you are pushing. One player or two deaths does not a game team LOSS MAKE.

WHen enough players are sunk the game is collectively LOST by the team.

• Meh 1

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts
9 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

I'd be curious as to what types of ship you play the most or do you just mix it up and play a bit of each type? Me personally, I'm very good with DD's and BB's but when it comes to cruisers and CV's I just can't seem to do well. DD's are my bread and butter so I play them more often. If you tend to stick to one or 2 types of ships, maybe someone can offer pointers because I can tell you things to try in game but strategy is vastly different from playing a DD to playing a BB. 

Members
146 posts
254 battles

In addition to all constructive tipps already posted: you might have been rushing through the tiers when it comes to Randoms.

This is not meant to stat shame you in any way. You have never really consolidated in anything after tier 4. Stuff you don't learn in mid tier gameplay will bite you in your behind in high tier gameplay tenfold.

Screenshot_20210405-043101.thumb.png.7b5a26dcb0670b8d7008597c9c9c94bc.png

• Cool 1

[GGBOY]
Members
386 posts
1,619 battles

If you're still struggling with situational awareness @OP. Then I have one last piece of advice to tell you.Capture.PNG.d59302f6394f0f5fa35e8b45a1d841d0.PNG

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Members
593 posts
8,582 battles
1 hour ago, Lazy_Joe said:

In addition to all constructive tipps already posted: you might have been rushing through the tiers when it comes to Randoms.

This is not meant to stat shame you in any way. You have never really consolidated in anything after tier 4. Stuff you don't learn in mid tier gameplay will bite you in your behind in high tier gameplay tenfold.

Looks like a classic case of rushing to the top tiers and not learning the basics. I did the same, thing, but hit the wall at Tier 8 with BB's and Cruisers, and went back down. I've had decent luck with most DD's. You also might want to try some other stuff too, as sometimes, a ship or class just clicks with you. Watch and read everything that has been linked and posted here, and go back to tier 5-7, for a bit. Dip into Tier 8 off and on, and see if things are going better. Hell, I have been playing for years, and still learning. I've also lost a full percent off my W/R in about the last year and a half.  I quit playing for about 6 months, and only dabbled for about another 6 months after the whole CV rework debacle. But, that's and entirely different discussion lol.  Anyway, I could tell, being away that long, I came back and had to adjust to several new ships to deal with, especially at higher tiers, such as EU DD's, even MORE Russian Radar boats, and Italian Cruisers. etc. My poor Gearing has been power creeped, but I still love it.

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
4 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Make that a team sucks in the narrative you are pushing. One player or two deaths does not a game team LOSS MAKE.

WHen enough players are sunk the game is collectively LOST by the team.

I never said losing one or two ships meant the game was lost.

Also, the whole "We lost as a team" thing rarely applies. It normally comes down to 1-3 specific decisions made by individuals that decide the outcome of the match, at least in rank. Randoms it's a little loser given you have more room for error. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,369 posts
1 hour ago, SirPent13 said:

I never said losing one or two ships meant the game was lost.

Also, the whole "We lost as a team" thing rarely applies. It normally comes down to 1-3 specific decisions made by individuals that decide the outcome of the match, at least in rank. Randoms it's a little loser given you have more room for error. 

Individuals. Plural.

Eventually the odds stack and thumb the scales to victory for those who have 6 ships left to win on while the losing team only has 3. Thats enough firepower to delete the three.

Once a year you will find the 6 idiot ships deleted by the three musketeers. Then we all will celebrate them and jeer the 6. Ya right.

There is always a point in any combat situation be it a real life or a game that victory is finished. Done. Unless some how the opponent faceplants himself. so to speak.

[APES]
[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,960 battles
22 hours ago, Lazy_Joe said:

i can say this i reset my  account to get back to where i was but you thinking about what i did i should not have done it because i think like you said kinda bitten me in the rear but some of those high tier ships i did not do to bad in them before.