Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Freedomshells

Somers, Austin, or Plymouth

22 comments in this topic

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles

I have Bourg, Stalin, and FDR. I just got 25k today and can get Somers before its gone. Or do I wait for new coupon and get one of the others, Shiki is still there too. I play Smaland, Petro, Stalin, Ohio, Bourg in competitive.....so idk if any of them would replace those ships for me. For T9 CBs, I run Benham, Kita, Bajie, Kron, Alaska....Mog and Musashi before the bans. 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,237 posts
8,573 battles

I think it depends on if you would use Somers more than the other ships you are looking at.  Somers is similar to a Shimakaze, so there is some ability to get a similar ship if you don't have it already.  And if you don't have experience in a Shimakaze, you may or may not enjoy the experience in the Somers.  If you don't like that kind of ship, or Destroyers aren't your preferred ship, then I would question spending your hard-earned resources on it.  It's a great ship at what it does, but if what it does isn't your bread and butter, you might be better off with something you will actually use and enjoy.

That's really a personal judgement call, and it's hard for others to tell you what to do without alot of info from you on what you like in a ship.

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles
4 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

I think it depends on if you would use Somers more than the other ships you are looking at.  Somers is similar to a Shimakaze, so there is some ability to get a similar ship if you don't have it already.  And if you don't have experience in a Shimakaze, you may or may not enjoy the experience in the Somers.  If you don't like that kind of ship, or Destroyers aren't your preferred ship, then I would question spending your hard-earned resources on it.  It's a great ship at what it does, but if what it does isn't your bread and butter, you might be better off with something you will actually use and enjoy.

That's really a personal judgement call, and it's hard for others to tell you what to do without alot of info from you on what you like in a ship.

Yeah, I play all classes and I like the Shima.....or liked. I dont really play it much anymore. I think Halland has become my go to DD for randoms. I like playing Mino or smol as well. But I usually go BB for random T10 to be honest. However, I'm better in DD and CV than in battleships. 

[BUOY]
Members
1,493 posts
17,538 battles

Depends... it's honestly likely Somers isn't ever coming back, but Plymouth and Austin will likely be around for a long while so if you think you'll regret not picking her up for collection's sake or etc... get the ship now and grab the Plymouth or Austin after the coupon refresh.

OTOH, gameplay wise the Somers is very similar to the Shima and the Benham is the more fun USN torp boat IMHO while the Plymouth offers something pretty different from even the Neptune / Minotaur aside from the feast or famine of shooting from smoke.

• Thanks 1

[SIM]
Members
5,916 posts
9,444 battles

I’d get Somers purely because it’ll spare you any potential regret about it later on. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

If you're going to play Somers, and think you'll like her, get her now because who knows if you'll have the chance again. Plymouth and Austin look to be around for a while.

If you don't play torp DD then look at the other two.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,116 posts
16,897 battles

Somers is ok, but inherently a torpedo boat so pretty 'feast or famine' and unreliable. She plays somewhat differently to things like Shimakaze or Gearing, but isn't a wild departure.

Plymouth is pretty awful, being over-reliant on the smoke+radar gimmick and being left as a pretty sad wannabe Minotaur without it. She has terrible ergonomic factors of turret angles and traverse vs. her handling, bad AA, less DPM, worse torps etc.

Austin is a wildcard at the moment, I don't know much about her.

[USN]
Members
1,758 posts
22,029 battles

Somers is leaving in 36hrs, so getting her now before she leaves to possibly never be seen again would be ideal.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,342 posts
14,289 battles

I’ve seen several testers say Austin is not worth the steel at all but take that for what it’s worth. I’d personally rather get a ship before it’s gone, tough choice. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,949 battles
2 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Somers is leaving in 36hrs, so getting her now before she leaves to possibly never be seen again would be ideal.

So no Bionic Reunion after all. Unless you happen to get both ships. 

[DVYJC]
Members
4,521 posts
12,368 battles

Man I have FOMO on Somers, but I also can't clearly articulate why I would want it other than that it's going away. I also have enough steel for any ship right now (Only have Stalingrad).

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,355 posts
15,501 battles

The Somers is gone by Wednesday, so...

[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,650 battles
8 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Man I have FOMO on Somers, but I also can't clearly articulate why I would want it other than that it's going away. I also have enough steel for any ship right now (Only have Stalingrad).

FOMO and the fact that the Austin seems extremely soft (and vulnerable aside from her 1 trick of MBRB,) are the only reasons I'm thinking at all about the Somers. But it's sat there for so long and I've had no inclination to add her to my fleet... I think I'm going to hold on to my steel even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on the Austin too :-/ 

[PTRGT]
Members
479 posts
61,878 battles

Get the Somers Its a very good DD.

I remember the original  Belfast,  a friend of mine got it and told me how good it was but I figured I'll get it later.

At the time I wasn't reading the forum etc so for me it was there one day and gone the next and I still kick myself for not getting it.

Now I pay attentions and noticed the T-61 was leaving with the Somers , as a DD guy I picked it up,  I learned my lesson. :cap_haloween:

Members
2,070 posts
12,862 battles

I've been struggling with this question myself. Summers looks nice but I already have Benham and a bunch of other torpboats so it's not like I'll miss out on that kind of game play. Where as Austin is rather unique.

[KSD]
Members
309 posts
10,129 battles
1 hour ago, Rouxi said:

I've been struggling with this question myself. Summers looks nice but I already have Benham and a bunch of other torpboats so it's not like I'll miss out on that kind of game play. Where as Austin is rather unique.

I'm at the point now where I just get ships based on whether they offer me a new way to play the game.  I don't have any cruisers that specialize as ambush masters, and so Austin looks really good to me from that standpoint.  I don't care as much as others about whether it's OP -- I just want to have to think about playing the game in a new way. 

I have Somers, and to people thinking about getting her, she's a good ship.  Forget about the guns, it's all about her torps, but those torps are very good.  I'm happy with that purchase.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,521 posts
12,368 battles
2 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

Now I pay attentions and noticed the T-61 was leaving with the Somers , as a DD guy I picked it up,  I learned my lesson. :cap_haloween:

T-61 is so strong at Tier VI that he was worth picking up regardless. One of the few must-buy Tier VI ships IMHO.

2 hours ago, Rouxi said:

I also have Benham, and I'm just not huge on the IJN torp bote style of high-alpha, long-reload torpedoes. That's why I've passed on Somers so far. I am a DD main and have FOMO. That's the only reason I can think to get it. I am leaning toward just saving my steel until something is either announced as leaving that I don't want to miss out on (like if they pull Bourgogne or FDR) or something new comes out that I really like.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,699 posts
19,788 battles
13 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

So no Bionic Reunion after all.

You're showing your age. :cap_like:

13 hours ago, Freedomshells said:

Took somers thanks everyone 

Let us know how you get on. I had to make a similar call just before they pulled Flint/Black/Neustrashimy as steel ships, and it was Flint vs. Black (I didn't have enough steel for Neustra). I chose Black, and given what's come back for coal and what hasn't, you can't imagine how pleased I am. I hope your decision turns out just as well for you as mine did for me. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,949 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're showing your age. :cap_like:

Let us know how you get on. I had to make a similar call just before they pulled Flint/Black/Neustrashimy as steel ships, and it was Flint vs. Black (I didn't have enough steel for Neustra). I chose Black, and given what's come back for coal and what hasn't, you can't imagine how pleased I am. I hope your decision turns out just as well for you as mine did for me. 

*Runs really slow because of cheesy 70's special effects, yet I am faster than most players going into the cap. Aims guns with prosthetic eye and can see the opponent player is not wearing pants, and is a female, nawty. Fires guns, shells fly with cheesy 70's sound effects akin to a whistling sound and slams into the target like a huge piece of lumber has hit the target. Opponent is rocked heavily, falls out of chair, has a wardrobe malfunction, because my prosthetic eye sees this rather well in detail and is rather impressed. Wow. They are natural. Target sinks and I sail away with the end credits theme song from a cheesy TV show of the 70's. 

Target suddenly realizes their bionic hearing picks up "I will see you later jiggly puff. Nice dirty pillows. Maybe wear pants next time. Victoria lost her secret today."

[TSF]
Members
602 posts
15,849 battles

Somers is meh. Benham is better.

Plymouth is also meh.

Can't speak to Austin 

If you are a collector and don't mind port queens: Somers.

Otherwise, I'd wait.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,391 battles

I only have the Somers, but she's a pretty fun ship. Just hope that a CV doesn't take a liking to you, your AA is trash even by DD standards.

Sign in to follow this