You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Marco Polo does NOT get Smoke

59 comments in this topic

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,952 posts
11,268 battles

Hey all, just a quick FYI about the new tier IX premium Italian battleship.  These are Marco Polo's consumables:

dB6kbjK.png     Yubz5gB.png
Can you see what's missing?

Unlike the other high-tier Italian tech-tree battleships, Marco Polo DOES NOT get access to an Exhaust Smoke Generator.  For me, I was very much looking forward to playing with an Italian premium battleship with smoke and I was surprised to see that Marco Polo did not have one.  I dunno if this is a deal breaker for anyone else, but I thought it best to get the word out promptly before people had a chance to spend money or coal on her.

My full review for Marco Polo, the new tier IX Italian battleship will be coming out over the next couple of days. I'm going back to editing, checking references and rewrites.  Mouse out!

• Cool 16
  • Thanks 26
  • Sad 1

[WOLFA]
[WOLFA]
Members
122 posts
4,377 battles

Thanks for the early warning!

[SIM]
Members
5,908 posts
9,432 battles

I saw this earlier, and while not personally a deal breaker, it is pretty disappointing. 

• Cool 4

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles

After watching Mr Gibbins get absolutely railed by a surprise Jean Bart I am less interested in it than I was.  I know many ships can be hit hard, but usually they have compensating factors such as big health pools or great heals......

12,952 posts
11,268 battles
22 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

After watching Mr Gibbins get absolutely railed by a surprise Jean Bart I am less interested in it than I was.  I know many ships can be hit hard, but usually they have compensating factors such as big health pools or great heals......

A bit of a spoiler, but Marco Polo's best feature is her armour profile.  Like the Soviet battleships before her, her skin is EXTRA THICC and great at shrugging off HE shells.  But you have to ask yourself if that (and slinging SAP shells) is worthwhile when you could just play Sovetsky Soyuz or AL Sovetskaya Rossiya instead and get the same thing but with better gunnery.

[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles

Considering you get 406mms meaning you overmatch 27mm and somewhat better accuracy, would you say it's worth it regardless of the lack of Exhaust Smoke?

12,952 posts
11,268 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Considering you get 406mms meaning you overmatch 27mm and somewhat better accuracy, would you say it's worth it regardless of the lack of Exhaust Smoke?

Worth it compared to what?  Roma's the better money-maker (with her Makoto Kobayashi camouflage) and Giulio Cesare (if you have her) is the better trainer. In terms of just novel game-play, there are lots (and lots) of nine-gun, 406mm armed battleships at tier IX.    Marco Polo's traits that differentiate her from them are SAP and her armour profile, while paying for it with a painfully long reload and low health.  She also does not take well to the Dead Eye skill having (relatively) short range and a large surface detection radius, giving her a smaller "window" of opportunity to make it work.  So the question becomes, is slow-firing SAP and Soviet-style armour worth it?  Cuz you can get everything else elsewhere.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Worth it compared to what?  Roma's the better money-maker (with her Makoto Kobayashi camouflage) and Giulio Cesare (if you have her) is the better trainer. In terms of just novel game-play, there are lots (and lots) of nine-gun, 406mm armed battleships at tier IX.    Marco Polo's traits that differentiate her from them are SAP and her armour profile, while paying for it with a painfully long reload and low health.  She also does not take well to the Dead Eye skill having (relatively) short range and a large surface detection radius, giving her a smaller "window" of opportunity to make it work.  So the question becomes, is slow-firing SAP and Soviet-style armour worth it?  Cuz you can get everything else elsewhere.

Welp that pretty much covers my question, guess it's a pass for now. :Smile_hiding:

[CLUMP]
Members
2,087 posts
2,429 battles

Can some explain to me why smoke for a BB is a good idea :Smile_hiding: 

[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles
Just now, LastRemnant said:

Can some explain to me why smoke for a BB is a good idea :Smile_hiding: 

Just an example, you can disengage within your detection range without worrying about giving broadside. It's a big "get out of jail" card.

• Cool 2

[KIA-C]
Members
3,831 posts
17,012 battles

SAP is a stupid ammo: doesnt overpen, has a treshold, have improved pen but doesnt start fire. It's basically the HE version of AP.

Marco has (or is supposed to have) better accuracy than other Italian BB on top of having 406mm (overmatching 27mm). SAP overmatch is a thing too and last time I checked, her SAP didnt get nerfed like the normal Italian line.

I'll still wait for your guide but I dont think it will be *that* bad 

12,952 posts
11,268 battles
3 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

SAP is a stupid ammo: doesnt overpen, has a treshold, have improved pen but doesnt start fire. It's basically the HE version of AP.

Marco has (or is supposed to have) better accuracy than other Italian BB on top of having 406mm (overmatching 27mm). SAP overmatch is a thing too and last time I checked, her SAP didnt get nerfed like the normal Italian line.

I'll still wait for your guide but I dont think it will be *that* bad 

2i9EzNx.jpg
180 AP shells fired at a stationary Fuso-bot that does not have camouflage, skills or upgrades.  Marco Polo is using Aiming System Modification 1 (but not Dead-Eye).  Shots are coming in from right to left with the Fuso effectively bow-tanking.  I rate Marco Polo's accuracy as a solid "meh":  She shoots like Roma, but not as quickly.

[GGBOY]
Members
386 posts
1,619 battles

Just give it amazingly accurate, long range, high pen, and high fire chance secondarys so it can be renamed "Marco Yolo".

• Funny 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

[OO7]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,893 posts
11,405 battles
37 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

A bit of a spoiler, but Marco Polo's best feature is her armour profile.  Like the Soviet battleships before her, her skin is EXTRA THICC and great at shrugging off HE shells.  But you have to ask yourself if that (and slinging SAP shells) is worthwhile when you could just play Sovetsky Soyuz or AL Sovetskaya Rossiya instead and get the same thing but with better gunnery.

I'm not sure if this is calling Soyuz's gunnery good, or calling Marco's gunnery bad...

[WOLFG]
Members
13,410 posts
12,847 battles
17 minutes ago, YAMATO_DIFFERENCE said:

Just give it amazingly accurate, long range, high pen, and high fire chance secondarys so it can be renamed "Marco Yolo".

fozzy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[-NOM-]
Members
547 posts
10,498 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Gibbons isn't really a good player, so I wouldn't base your decisions strictly based on what he says. (you should be looking at multiple sources anyways.  
Also, you said it was a surprise Jean Bart. Any ship caught by surprise is gonna get hurt, so I don't know why you use that situation to make judgements about the ship.

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,643 battles

If she can have her own beer can camo, she may be nice to have.

• Funny 1

[GGBOY]
Members
386 posts
1,619 battles
14 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

SAP is arguably the best ammo in-game, it has combined chracteristics of both ammo types. 

Or how the wiki says it: The nose of the casing of a SAP shell is thickened to form a penetrator cap, of a sort, with less high explosive than HE but more than AP shells can pack in. SAP is fused to explode on impact similar to HE shell mechanics. Like HE shells, SAP armor penetration is not a function of shell velocity or angle of incidence. SAP penetration depends on the caliber of the shell and the nominal thickness of the armor. The shell penetrates and deals damage if the penetration value is higher than or equal to the thickness of the armor.

SAP tend to deal more damage than same gun calibar AP. SAP could ricochet, but has very good ricochet angles. Even better than those found on ships such as Minotaur, Des Moines, or Stalingrad.

SAP also can penetrate more armor, and deal more damage than HE shells. A downside though is that they cannot penetrate thick armor like AP shells, but at the same time do not overpen. From my career as a BB main, over penning targets can be very frustrating in a BB.

SAP does not blast like a HE shell when striking a surface, which means that it can't destroy modules or AA mounts.

Even though SAP can deal AP alpha using HE mechanics, it doesn't ignite fires.

SAP deals extreme damage saturation, when striking a already saturated section on a ship it deals less damage.

For Italian Cruisers, SAP can deal huge alpha damage without fear of regular AP damage limit. That is why the capped the Italian BBs SAP damage against DDs. Ships like Venezia doesn't suffer from this and is capable of one shotting DDs if aimed properly.

Summary: SAP shares the same strengths, and weaknesses of both ammo types. Strengths of one ammo type combined with the strengths of another ammo type is quite strong. 

Edited by YAMATO_DIFFERENCE
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,469 battles

Was it definitively stated to have smoke at some point and only now being revealed to no longer have it?

[WPORT]
Members
11,627 posts
15,954 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Hey all, just a quick FYI about the new tier IX premium Italian battleship.  These are Marco Polo's consumables:

Unlike the other high-tier Italian tech-tree battleships, Marco Polo DOES NOT get access to an Exhaust Smoke Generator.  For me, I was very much looking forward to playing with an Italian premium battleship with smoke and I was surprised to see that Marco Polo did not have one.  I dunno if this is a deal breaker for anyone else, but I thought it best to get the word out promptly before people had a chance to spend money or coal on her.

My full review for Marco Polo, the new tier IX Italian battleship will be coming out over the next couple of days. I'm going back to editing, checking references and rewrites.  Mouse out!

:cap_look:

[CLUMP]
Members
2,087 posts
2,429 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Just an example, you can disengage within your detection range without worrying about giving broadside. It's a big "get out of jail" card.

I can understand a DD using this :fish_book: They are small and agile and can move around in the smoke :Smile_hiding: But a BB using this seems limited sure you make yourself disappear for a bit but DDs and cruiser can still send torps in their  :Smile_teethhappy:  I guess it can useful but not as useful for DD though :Smile_bajan2:

Edited by LastRemnant

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

I knew it wasn't getting Smoke long ago when Marco Polo and the new Italian BBs started showing up in Fitting Tool.

1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Some management is still required.  You fire and are spotted, then pop your ITA BB Smoke a few seconds after, you'll still be spotted thanks to gun bloom.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,558 posts
11,226 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

LePanto is much better anyway.. 12 barrels is 12 barrels and that smoke mmmfffff. Too bad secondaries got nerfed into useless junk... lepanto's high turn rate, 12 barrels plus secondary build with smoke would've been the ultimate troll boat :(