You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JohnChristianFalkenberg

Ranked Sprints are a rigged environment

91 comments in this topic

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles

Ranked sprints are a rigged system and biased heavily towards BB, especially camping BB with Dead Eye. 

• A camping BB has about a 1/3 chance of being in a winning battle
  • A camping BB has about a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of being at the top of the losing leaderboard and able to retain rank or star.
  • Camping BB heavily encourage DD's and Cruisers to Spot so that they (BB) have targets for Dead Eye.
  • Even without Dead Eye, some BB (Thunderer and Yamato come to mind) that have extraordinary range. If the BB commander has any skill at leading the target, most opposing BB and Cruisers can be destroyed before the opposing ships weapons are in range to hit the camping BB.

DD's

• Getting through qualification with a DD is likely close to impossible. Most DD, no matter how well played, generally do not land at the top of the losing leaderboard!. 
  • If DD do what he BB's want which is to SPOT, CAP, and such, all they are doing is insuring that BBs will be in the top of the losing leaderboard.
  • Without DD to spot or cap, BB cannot win!

With a DD or Cruiser, best thing is to find an island and hide behind it and camp until the game is about 2/3 over (or until spotted) and only then come out and do as much damage as possible. By starving the BB of spotting, there is a better than even chance that DD's can get to the top of the losing leaderboard. 

I've played DD about 65 times and haven't gotten through QUALIFICATION for the following reasons

1. Matchmaker puts more or longer range radar ships on red team. Generally, it is necessary to get within the radar range of ships to fire torps because torp range and radar range are one and the same.
  2. Unfavorable maps
  3. Unfavorable spawn position
  4. Everyone camps and no one caps or defends caps.
  5. CV can sink any DD anytime without the participation of the rest of the enemy fleet. 
  6. With a CV in the game, the advantage of stealth is denied.

I played Thunderer and got through QUALIFICATION in 9 battles. I heavily prefer to play DD.

TLDR: ONLY PLAY DEAD EYE BB IN RANKED SPRINT

Edited by JohnChristianFalkenberg
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
8 minutes ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

Ranked sprints are a rigged system and biased heavily towards BB, especially camping BB with Dead Eye. 

• A camping BB has about a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of being at the top of the losing leaderboard and able to retain rank or star.
  • Camping BB heavily encourage DD's and Cruisers to Spot so that they (BB) have targets for Dead Eye.
  • Even without Dead Eye, some BB (Thunderer and Yamato come to mind) that have extraordinary range. If the BB commander has any skill at leading the target, most opposing BB and Cruisers can be destroyed before the opposing ships weapons are in range to hit the camping BB.

DD's

• Getting through qualification with a DD is likely close to impossible. Most DD, no matter how well played, generally do not land at the top of the losing leaderboard!. 
  • If DD do what he BB's want which is to SPOT, CAP, and such, all they are doing is insuring that BBs will be in the top of the losing leaderboard.

With a DD or Cruiser, best thing is to find an island and hide behind it and camp until the game is about 2/3 over (or until spotted) and only then come out and do as much damage as possible. By starving the BB of spotting, there is a better than even chance that DD's can get to the top of the losing leaderboard. 

I've played DD about 65 times and haven't gotten through QUALIFICATION for the following reasons

1. Matchmaker puts more or longer range radar ships on red team. Generally, it is necessary to get within the radar range of ships to fire torps because torp range and radar range are one and the same.
  2. Unfavorable maps
  5. CV can sink any DD anytime without the participation of the rest of the enemy fleet. 

I played Thunderer and got through QUALIFICATION in 9 battles. I heavily prefer to play DD.

Huh, that's funny, I got through qualifying easily, using Gearing. If you solo cap two points, you're practically guaranteed top spot, even if you do little damage.

The problem is, you're putting so much emphasis on star-saving. Yes, the things you said aren't wrong, but are irrelevant when you win. You don't go into a match thinking you won't save your star, you're looking to win.

[WORX]
Members
16,912 posts
22,074 battles

Rank Sprint are for those who are wired differently then normal players... They want to feel pain, suffering along with, agony...Here is a video presentation of what that looks like.

For some, even when they manage to Rank out.... They're at the euphoria phase and cant wait for the next season...

In summery what I am alluding too... All your points are valid but as I described above, there are those among us who would not have it any other way...

I respect them... I tried to do my Research on playing only cruisers and see who long it take me to Rank out...

Forget it I value my sanity... Respects to those who do Rank out...

I also stated a question in an old thread... Who is the best Rank player in the game mode...

1. The one who Ranks out in an all power Thunderer *or equivalent*with less matches...
    • OR
  2. Is it the one who does it in a Shima or a light cruiser with a lot of matches to achieve it??

Inquiring minds *mainly mine* wanted to know...

Edited by Navalpride33

[TCCN]
Members
232 posts
16,660 battles

First off I feel the Asashio is an awful choice for ranked, it can't contest caps in a dd heavy meta. I'm guessing you FXP'd your way to Gearing and Halland, I see no games in the Benson, Fletcher, Oland of Ostergotland in your stats. Any of those 4 ships would be a better choice, so would the Kagero for that matter.

Edited by triley70
corrected spelling of Halland

[BOTO]
Members
1,509 posts
21,665 battles
1 hour ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

DD's

2. Unfavorable maps

Individual player skill, or lack thereof, has more of an impact in Ranked than in Randoms.  I haven't played much ranked lately but I've had no problem winning with cruisers and destroyers.  

You're completely wrong with your assessment that only DeadEye equipped BBs will work in ranked.

I suggest that if you're playing Tier 8 ranked to NOT use Asashio, that's probably one of the worst destroyers you could choose to play.

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles
2 hours ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

DD's

2. Unfavorable maps

LOL I was a destroyer main the entirety of Ranked for the test season and this one. Did maybe twenty total cruiser games in Des Moines, Salem, or Minotaur, and exactly zero battleship games. I had a healthily positive win rate that exceeded my Random Battle win rate and saved plenty of stars. Honestly saving a star as a destroyer is particularly easy if your team gets ROFLstomped, as getting just one solo cap and an assist is usually enough to put you at the top of the board. The hardest time to save a star as a DD is a game that takes forever to lose where you die early and capping doesn't make up for a long-term damage farmer in the back who manages not to lose long enough that he can farm up enough damage to offset your cap points. That does happen sometimes, but when it does, it's just as much a matter of your misplay for dying so early as it is the passive farmer's non-contribution to his team.

Supertest Coordinator
7,217 posts
14,359 battles

How are you running your Smaland? Mine and your stats are very different and I’ve had relative success with mine.

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles

I think the win/loss ratio is highly dependent on when a battle is played. 

Almost assured to loose (EDT)

• weeknights after about 8pm and before 1 AM 
  • weekends except for the first hour of ranked battles.

Most of my battles have been very long with the long range camping BB taking most or all of the top spots on the losing leaderboard. Rarely have I been in a battle where the BB's get south of the B-C line.

Supertest Coordinator
7,217 posts
14,359 battles

Destroyers are hard-carry ships. If you don't do your job in one, then no one else can do their jobs in their ships.

• Cool 1

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
4 hours ago, Compassghost said:

How are you running your Smaland? Mine and your stats are very different and I’ve had relative success with mine.

I have been playing evenings and weekends for Qualification.  As soon as I see the camping BB's, I recently i quit spotting or capping in protest because experience has proven that we lose every single time. Just fed up with playing when 4-5 of the team are camping at the b-c line. They aren't supporting me and so why should I support them. From a BB perspective, all I am doing is spotting targets so the BB and Cruisers can kite damage.

In the past few days, I have been frustrated by 3-4 RADAR ships on the red team and only 1 (me) on our team. When going up against, for instance, Stalingrad, Des Moines, Salem, and Chung Mu, it is hardly a fair fight and I have not seen a matchmaker do the proper job of matching up number of radar ships and range of radars. I have not seen allied teams where we have the preponderance if RADAR. I find it very difficult to do anything with the Smaland in a 3-4 radar ship environment. Then, of course, there is the issue that in Ranked Sprints, specifically, QUALIFICATION, the teams I  get matched into really show no indication they want to win. I have spotted, capped, etc. and the team has the resources to defend the caps but rarely does all except the DD choosing to camp at the B-C line or, for cruisers, hug an island where they cannot shoot towards the red team. I see these things endlessly. 

[-N-]
Beta Testers
270 posts
9,392 battles

Imagine not knowing sheet about the game and typing a wall of text crying.

DDs are the most OP ship in the game, no other ship can carry games like a DD, the problem is you.

Supertest Coordinator
7,217 posts
14,359 battles

I play evenings and weekends. I qualified for Gold last Wednesday, I believe. I have 200 games in Smaland across the two seasons, with ~54% WR.

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
8 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

I play evenings and weekends. I qualified for Gold last Wednesday, I believe. I have 200 games in Smaland across the two seasons, with ~54% WR.

and how often have you been up against 3-4 radar ships on RED and only the smaland on GREEN that you have WON?

I did fine in Bronze until I got to QUAL and it is difficult to be on the winning side more than 2 battles in a row. DD's cannot carry the team when the rest of the team won't push beyond B-C line.

I have lots of these defeats with lots of damage, just no participation from team.

2021 Mar 06 Defeat 2a.png

2021 Mar 06 Defeat 1a.png

Clarification

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,157 battles
7 hours ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

So why not play the version that gives you 2/3 chance of winning?

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I was just in a Ranked game in my Massachusetts that my team won. I got a late cap and a kill in on a Tirpitz (with help). A DD on my team had four kills, three caps and 2200 points.

Supertest Coordinator
7,217 posts
14,359 battles

image.thumb.png.024ccc41913aa3ec88761cc1cd9a31ec.png

My 36 Smaland games from the current Sprint. Not great, not terrible. 21 wins and 15 losses, so +6 at a minimum. I believe I saved a star on a few as well. I average ~40K a game, so a fair bit of cruiser/battleship harass.

Edited by Compassghost

[ARR0W]
Members
5,967 posts
32,046 battles

Its not rigged, its just animal research. 

Friesland that goes off on a flank, circles and does no damage to speak of - 35% WR and 24% in ranked. 

CV who can barely land torpedoes and waits for TBs to regen rather than sending DBs- 44% WR. 

group of 3 BBs and a DD that go to a cap outnumbering the enemy there, and circle behind the cap (including the DD). 

• Meh 1

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I was just in a Ranked game in my Massachusetts that my team won. I got a late cap and a kill in on a Tirpitz (with help). A DD on my team had four kills, three caps and 2200 points.

I had few bad teams in Tier 8 portion of Bronze and progressed rapidly to Rank 1.  QUAL is the issue. Cannot carry the battle and win with Smaland or Hallnd or Gearing even when I sink multiple ships and the rest of the team is all hiding behind islands or camping at the BC line. I have even had a battle where I capped all three and the team did not defend any of them adn I can't defend with ubiquitous radar on other team.

My playstyle is

• avoid radar ships by keeping at max radar range.
  • cannot cap when I am outnumbered 2-3, 3-1 by DD in or near the cap
  • cannot cap when there are multiple ships that can focus fire as soon as I am spotted by radar or hydro or just too many destroyers.
  •  

Members
4,708 posts
16,427 battles
12 minutes ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

I had few bad teams in Tier 8 portion of Bronze and progressed rapidly to Rank 1.  QUAL is the issue. Cannot carry the battle and win with Smaland or Hallnd or Gearing even when I sink multiple ships and the rest of the team is all hiding behind islands or camping at the BC line. I have even had a battle where I capped all three and the team did not defend any of them. 

What you're saying, doesnt quite match up with your performance.

You're not trading, and in some of these ships you are pretty much a net negative on your team.

edit: Now that I think about it, isnt ranked 1v1 this time. Nevermind. lol

Edited by Rollingonit

[MHG]
Members
613 posts
30,724 battles
52 minutes ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

I think the win/loss ratio is highly dependent on when a battle is played. 

Almost assured to loose (EDT)

• weeknights after about 8pm and before 1 AM 
  • weekends except for the first hour of ranked battles.

Most of my battles have been very long with the long range camping BB taking most or all of the top spots on the losing leaderboard. Rarely have I been in a battle where the BB's get south of the B-C line.

The only way this logic would work is if somehow, at the exact times you are playing the red team has some time manipulator magic going on and are playing at different times. If not, how else are they winning? Now if you said you have had a bad streak of games because you had bad teammates at XYZ instances, that is fine, we all get really bad teams sometimes. And because team distribution is random, you cannot predict if you are going to get good team mates or bad ones. So "almost assured to loose at XYZ days" is an exaggeration.

Same thing for "weekends". If both green and red teams somehow lose, then this would make sense. But if the red team is winning, either you are implying the "weekend potatoes" only are populated on your team while the red team always gets "weekday unicums" or something else is at play here. Now I'm not denying player quality has deteriorated in recent times and weekends are when many casuals who frankly do not have good skills are in the queue. But everytime you lose on a weekend, someone else is winning. 

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
5 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

What you're saying, doesnt quite match up with your performance.

You're not trading, and in some of these ships you are pretty much a net negative on your team.

Trading? How can you trade when you are outgunned by most other destroyers and constant CV or RADAR spotting so they can focus fire 2 or more ships on you. Can't tell you how many times I have been sunk by a CV and you cannot get away.

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
7 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

The only way this logic would work is if somehow, at the exact times you are playing the red team has some time manipulator magic going on and are playing at different times. If not, how else are they winning? Now if you said you have had a bad streak of games because you had bad teammates at XYZ instances, that is fine, we all get really bad teams sometimes. And because team distribution is random, you cannot predict if you are going to get good team mates or bad ones. So "almost assured to loose at XYZ days" is an exaggeration.

Same thing for "weekends". If both green and red teams somehow lose, then this would make sense. But if the red team is winning, either you are implying the "weekend potatoes" only are populated on your team while the red team always gets "weekday unicums" or something else is at play here. Now I'm not denying player quality has deteriorated in recent times and weekends are when many casuals who frankly do not have good skills are in the queue. But everytime you lose on a weekend, someone else is winning. 

Yes, BB's who don't camp are winning! Nearly all of the teams I have been assigned to are campers that never get off the spawn line and campers and island hugging Cruisers (and for that matter, island hugging DD) cannot support dd, cannot cap, mostly the spawn line campers are completely out of position to take advantage of a cap cleared out of red team opponents in or near the cap.

How do I get the matchmaker to put me on teams that I can actually win with? More importantly, how do you raise W/L with these horrible team assignments.

[BOTO]
Members
1,509 posts
21,665 battles
19 minutes ago, JohnChristianFalkenberg said:

IT's not about crying. It is about the MATH. Statistics do not lie!

The irony is palpable......