You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

Italian BB's Trash?

17 comments in this topic

[TIGRB]
Members
975 posts
18,822 battles

As my Daughter said, I beg to differ. The tier 5 and 6 BB's have been ok so far and I am learning their quirks as all ships have them. However, Got the tier 7 Yesterday and she plays familiar to me. She feels like the tier 5 Russian BB Pyotr Velikiy but faster and the first game in her was a random. Her aim gets better as you get closer so have patience and when time is right, make your move. She can take a pounding bow first. Secondary's though are a little better than useless it seems as I did score a secondary kill but otherwise This thing is sick. Hope you give it a chance along with the rest.

Screenshot (146).png

Screenshot (147).png

Edited by GSXstage1
Spelling
  • Thanks 2

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
1 hour ago, GSXstage1 said:

As my Daughter said, I beg to differ. The tier 5 and 6 BB's have been ok so far and I am learning their quirks as all ships have them. However, Got the tier 7 Yesterday and she plays familiar to me. She feels like the tier 5 Russian BB Pyotr Velikiy but faster and the first game in her was a random. Her aim gets better as you get closer so have patience and when time is right, make your move. She can take a pounding bow first. Secondary's though are a little better than useless it seems as I did score a secondary kill but otherwise This thing is sick. Hope you give it a chance along with the rest.

Screenshot (146).png

Screenshot (147).png

It seem when you get sub 10km the shells shotgun more that 13-10km.

Have you seen this?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles

They are trash.

You can compare them to their Tech Tree Peers, tier for tier, excluding some of these very strong Premium BBs out there like Georgia, etc, and they will be found wanting.

1.6 Sigma across the board and the Tier X is 1.5.  JFC, not even the French Battleships are like this.

Slow reload than is typical for the entire Line, except for Tier VI.  Matter of fact, it gets slower and slower as you progress down the Line!

The worst Battleship Dispersion Model in the game are used by French, Italian Battleships.  German BBs used to be here also, but WG upgraded them to use the USN / RN BB Dispersion Model.

Range is subpar through the entire Line.

SAP shells are 10% damage capped against DDs.  Just like your AP shells.

90mm secondaries with their 15mm HE Pen are useless.  They can't even HE Pen the 16mm hulls of Tier VI Battleships, nor 19mm superstructure armor of High Tier BBs and DD hulls.

Etc.

51ojhb.jpg

All the above isn't opinion.  They're inescapable facts.

Poor range, poor accuracy, poor reload speeds, hard capped performance against DDs, useless secondaries... All of these are combined in one BB Line!

lion-force-voltron-as-it-appeared-in-the

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
975 posts
18,822 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

They are trash.

You can compare them to their Tech Tree Peers, tier for tier, excluding some of these very strong Premium BBs out there like Georgia, etc, and they will be found wanting.

1.6 Sigma across the board and the Tier X is 1.5.  JFC, not even the French Battleships are like this.

Slow reload than is typical for the entire Line, except for Tier VI.  Matter of fact, it gets slower and slower as you progress down the Line!

The worst Battleship Dispersion Model in the game are used by French, Italian Battleships.  German BBs used to be here also, but WG upgraded them to use the USN / RN BB Dispersion Model.

Range is subpar through the entire Line.

SAP shells are 10% damage capped against DDs.  Just like your AP shells.

90mm secondaries with their 15mm HE Pen are useless.  They can't even HE Pen the 16mm hulls of Tier VI Battleships, nor 19mm superstructure armor of High Tier BBs and DD hulls.

Etc.

51ojhb.jpg

All the above isn't opinion.  They're inescapable facts.

Poor range, poor accuracy, poor reload speeds, hard capped performance against DDs, useless secondaries... All of these are combined in one BB Line!

lion-force-voltron-as-it-appeared-in-the

Yes, I understand the stats and mechanics, but play her to her strengths and she does fine. I have found ANY ship in the game can have good games when played well. It all depends on OUR performance in the game and how well WE adapt to each ship. NO by all means they are not the best and easiest to play, but with patience, determination and using your head you will do fine in them. Give it a chance, I'm sure you will surprise yourself. 

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
18,934 posts
34,471 battles
36 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Give it a chance, I'm sure you will surprise yourself.

Italian SAP = hard pass; battleship caliber or not.

Hit something once, damage saturation laughs at you with any other attacks. Never mind the whole thing with destroyers.

[TIGRB]
Members
975 posts
18,822 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Italian SAP = hard pass; battleship caliber or not.

Hit something once, damage saturation laughs at you with any other attacks. Never mind the whole thing with destroyers.

Sir, In that screenshot I posted, 2 of my 4 kills were DD's using SAP. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
8 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

To be fair, that's because BB SAP isn't likely to saturate a DD, unlike cruiser SAP.

You could have just as easily killed those DDs with AP.

I just don't get the purpose for BB SAP. I mean, it make sense for cruisers, it gives you a shell that hits like a truck, for when AP won't work.

But BB AP works in a lot more situations than cruiser AP, I don't really see what SAP brings to the table.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,934 posts
34,471 battles
13 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

If the cruiser SAP had ever been worth spit, perhaps I would feel otherwise.

Everyone tells me Venezia is great! Hooray? So eight other ships with garbage SAP until I get to the ship where it works consistently?

I won’t say you can’t get SAP to work consistently, but I will say I can’t. Therefore it is garbage, to me.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Everyone tells me Venezia is great! Hooray? So eight other ships with garbage SAP until I get to the ship where it works consistently?

I won’t say you can’t get SAP to work consistently, but I will say I can’t. Therefore it is garbage, to me.

Fair enough, then Venezia would not be great for you.

SAP is like cruiser AP against BBs. It only works consistently if you can aim consistently. If not, stick to HE. 

Everybody's different though. I can make it work reasonably well, but I'm not going to be blapping DDs at max range like some, I can't shoot that well. But I can maul cruisers and BB superstructures.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles
19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The reason Venezia works is because she throws so many shells in a single salvo.  The game has a very long history of high rifle counts offsetting issues.  She also used to have better SAP bounce angles than any other ITA SAP Cruiser, even IX Brindisi didn't have that, but WG nerfed the Venezia SAP bounce angles some time back.

But it doesn't matter anymore, Venezia's reputation is immense, her numbers are still great.  She is the only ITA Cruiser anyone ever talks about, as if none of the others exist.  As if people just FreeXP'd to Tier X and pretend all prior tiers didn't exist.

If the Tier X ITA Battleship is indeed good, then the same thing is going to happen.  There will be players using her as an example that the Line is fine.  It's not.  The entire Line is one giant series of plague ships with Tier X being the immaculate one.

Members
4,709 posts
16,427 battles

@GSXstage1

Get back to us after you've played more than 1 game in it.

Also I think your daughter was talking about the ITA cruisers (Abruzzi and Duca) which arent anything near what the ITA BBs are. 

edit: nvm she mentions something in dr venture's thread

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
603 posts

They are still trash. 

I've had a couple of good games in them but it makes me realize how much MORE I could have done if I was in a different BB of the same tier.  At least 70% of my salvo's completely miss my target not of bad aim but because of such horrible dispersion.  Nothing frustrates me more than watching all the shells land all around a ship, hitting nothing but water.  Ineffective armor on the ship doesn't let you tank as effectively as compared to other BB's.

Better dispersion would be helpful.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[RLGN]
Members
18,934 posts
34,471 battles
34 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If the Tier X ITA Battleship is indeed good, then the same thing is going to happen.  There will be players using her as an example that the Line is fine.  It's not.  The entire Line is one giant series of plague ships with Tier X being the immaculate one.

So; the tier ten is Franco Harris?

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
375 posts
9,813 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

But it doesn't matter anymore, Venezia's reputation is immense, her numbers are still great.  She is the only ITA Cruiser anyone ever talks about, as if none of the others exist.  As if people just FreeXP'd to Tier X and pretend all prior tiers didn't exist.

While this speculation on my behalf - this working as WG intended. Push people to high tiers, spend DB to convert FXP. Which I find sad, as one of the things I like about the game was - is (at least for now) is playing all tiers. 

Also I will toss out what I have read else where, IT BB SAP has a hard time with earlier BBs heavy armor. It is not until high tier that it starts being more effective. So the lower tier IT BBs experience is more likely to ------ very. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
4 hours ago, GSXstage1 said:

Yes, I understand the stats and mechanics, but play her to her strengths and she does fine. I have found ANY ship in the game can have good games when played well. It all depends on OUR performance in the game and how well WE adapt to each ship. NO by all means they are not the best and easiest to play, but with patience, determination and using your head you will do fine in them. Give it a chance, I'm sure you will surprise yourself. 

Okay, so what are those strengths? 

So far we have a line of BB's that are great to look at...but are terrible at just about everything. Skill literally cannot raise a turd to greatness. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The reason Venezia works is because she throws so many shells in a single salvo.  The game has a very long history of high rifle counts offsetting issues.  She also used to have better SAP bounce angles than any other ITA SAP Cruiser, even IX Brindisi didn't have that, but WG nerfed the Venezia SAP bounce angles some time back.

I'm gonna wait until TopTier and the usual suspects get the Tier X and then I'll decide if it's worth my time (sanity) to grind out the tier 9. 

Venezia is basically a god-tier cruiser if you know exactly how to capitalize (abuse) her strengths...IE stupid good rudder shift, 15 barrels, sap, and fuel smoke. Like I routinely just own flanks in that thing...it's hilariously good.