You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gruntdog_3

Mutsu sinking.

5 comments in this topic

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,063 posts
14,895 battles

Interesting history and great photographs of IJN ships.

Edited by Gruntdog_3
Typing error.
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles

Can't see any media you put in, I have problems with the stuff on this forum only.

But yes, Mutsu just blowing up in port is a big deal  When Mutsu went explodey in September 1943, the IJN only had a grand total of 4 Battleships with 16" or larger guns.

Nagato-class x2

Yamato-class x2

Meanwhile the USN:

Colorado-class x3

North Carolina-class x2 (all completed by 1941)

South Dakota-class x4 (all completed by 1942)

Iowa-class x2 (2 of the eventually 4 ships would be completed by May 1943.  2 more would commission in the first half of 1944)

The IJN was a navy during WWII that conserved its Heavy Cruisers and Battleships for almost the entire war for that one decisive engagement, Kantai Kessen.  They were losing out in big guns and number of Battleships, and the surprise loss of Mutsu made matters even worse.  Hell, they were in even deeper sh*t already by the time Mutsu exploded.  Their Carrier force had been greatly reduced, their cadre of experienced, trained aviators decimated, and they lost scores of CLs and DDs at Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,063 posts
14,895 battles
On 3/24/2021 at 7:36 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Can't see any media you put in, I have problems with the stuff on this forum only.

Yo Haze, hope this works https://youtu.be/RFvhMJ-LDZU

Edited by Gruntdog_3
Typing error.

[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles
3 hours ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Yo Haze, hope this works https://youtu.be/RFvhMJ-LDZU

Thank you.  I had saw some other video that talked about Mutsu's sinking some time ago also.  Interesting to hear about the investigation trying to figure out how one of Japan's very few 16" armed Battleships just randomly blows up for no good reason.  When most of your navy's BB guns are only 356mm, a loss of a set of 410mm guns is a huge hit.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,063 posts
14,895 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Thank you.  I had saw some other video that talked about Mutsu's sinking some time ago also.  Interesting to hear about the investigation trying to figure out how one of Japan's very few 16" armed Battleships just randomly blows up for no good reason.  When most of your navy's BB guns are only 356mm, a loss of a set of 410mm guns is a huge hit.

Glad to be of assist. It is an interesting subject. One of the most impressive things (to me) was the way the photo's give perspective to the size of the guns and other equipment.