You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boomer625

Reminder about the Italian Battleships: Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover (or how it comes in)

32 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles

When you buy each of the Italian premium ships in the event, remember that they come in with stock hulls and rangefinders equipped . You will need to go into the Equipments tab to give the ships a hull refit and a rangefinder refit, but these modules are already researched, just need to mount them onto the ship.

For those that did not know, you were playing these ships with abut 2 km less range and 5-7k less hp. Try them now and see how you like them!

Edited by Boomer625
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
2 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

When you buy each of the Italian premium ships in the event, remember that they come in with stock hulls and rangefinders equipped . You will need to go into the Equipments tab to give the ships a hull refit and a rangefinder refit, but these modules are already researched, just need to mount them onto the ship.

For those that did not know, you were playing these ships with abut 2 km less range and 5-7k less hp. Try them now and see how you like them!

They still suck even fully upgraded. A few more HP and a couple km of range does not fix what is wrong with them.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles
18 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

They still suck even fully upgraded. A few more HP and a couple km of range does not fix what is wrong with them.

At least you are not playing them stock. Besides, getting four premiums for free is an absolute win for me, especially one that served in both WW1 and WW2.

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
13 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

At least you are not playing them stock. Besides, getting four premiums for free is an absolute win for me, especially one that served in both WW1 and WW2.

They aren't premiums. They are early access tech tree ships. That is basically the same as a T10 special premium while under early access status. While under early access status you can swap Captains on and off for free like a regular premium but that is the only premium perk they have (no extra credits or XP earned). Once early access status is removed and they become researchable in the tech tree (update 0.10.3) they lose the free Capt swap perk and assume regular tech tree status. So as said they are not premiums. It is a temporary "special" status. The real bonus to early access ships is not having to grind them out and getting all the upgrades free.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,568 posts
13,018 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Maybe but I haven’t decided yet or played them at all . But what I do remember is everyone saying French DDs sucked and they certainly don’t not in ranked or randoms . So I take every thing with a grain of salt , 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
8 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Maybe but I haven’t decided yet or played them at all . But what I do remember is everyone saying French DDs sucked and they certainly don’t not in ranked or randoms . So I take every thing with a grain of salt , 

I haver T4-T9. Have played them all and suck is an accurate description at least for me. YMMV.

And as I said a few more HP and a couple extra km of range does not fix their glaring flaws.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

They aren't premiums. They are early access tech tree ships. That is basically the same as a T10 special premium while under early access status. While under early access status you can swap Captains on and off for free like a regular premium but that is the only premium perk they have (no extra credits or XP earned). Once early access status is removed and they become researchable in the tech tree (update 0.10.3) they lose the free Capt swap perk and assume regular tech tree status. So as said they are not premiums. It is a temporary "special" status. The real bonus to early access ships is not having to grind them out and getting all the upgrades free.

They seem to have the premium status and gold colored name though...EEE60D72-3619-4DB4-A11A-A47A8D11F977.thumb.jpeg.cc097da5e67589cca8718980f75cb142.jpeg

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
32 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Then you've managed to 'click' with the French destroyers; I haven't.

Stopped playing them at Guepard; no intention of ever going any further.

As far as the Italian battleships go; they have SAP. That's all the reason I need to dislike them.

(Old) British Light Cruiser SAP never worked for me.

(New) Italian SAP hasn't worked reliably for me. (There's a reason I like Duca A'Costa, Gulio Ceasar, Roma, and their HE so much.)

Therefore there's no reason to even bother with the Italian battleships.

1 minute ago, Boomer625 said:

They seem to have the premium status and gold colored name though...

That's just a temporary thing.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
47 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

They seem to have the premium status and gold colored name though...EEE60D72-3619-4DB4-A11A-A47A8D11F977.thumb.jpeg.cc097da5e67589cca8718980f75cb142.jpeg

No, they have the "special premium" symbol which is a gold wreath and white ship icon. Actual premiums have a gold wreath and gold ship icon. "Special premiums" are what T10 premiums and early access tech tree ships are. The only perk they get is the ability to swap Captains on and off for free. There is no credit or XP boost. Early access tech tree ships lose their special premium status once the line goes live and can be researched in the tech tree. For the Italian BB's that will be with update 0.10.3. So they will keep their special premium status under early access for the rest of this update (0.10.1) and in the next update due to drop on Wednesday (0.10.2). 

Look at the 2 screenshots below using the in port ship carousel filter tool.

• the 1st shows "special" premium ITL BB's only. Note it is the new BB's T4-T9 only and does not show GC or Roma which are actual premiums. Also note the ship symbol by the Capt is a gold wreath with white ship icon which means it is  a "special" premium.
  • the 2nd shows "premium" ITL BB's only. Note it only shows GC and Roma and none of the new BB's. Also note the ship symbol by the Capt is a gold wreath with a gold ship icon which represents a real premium ship.

Once update 0.10.3 arrives the T4-T9 ITL BB's available in early access during updates 0.10.1 and 0.10.2 (T4 Dante Alighieri, T5 Conte Di Cavour, T6 Andrea Doria, T7 Francesco Caracciolo, T8 Vittorio Veneto, and T9 Lepanto) will become regular researchable ships in the Italian tech tree and lose the "special" premium status. 

The benefit of getting the ships in early access, and having them be "special" premiums during that period, is...

1. You get the ship (and get to keep it) thus eliminating the need to grind it out and pay for it with credits
  2. It comes fully upgraded with all the modules (which you also get to keep) so it becomes "elite" once the line goes live and researchable in the tech tree and you do not need to grind or pay for the upgrades with credits either
  3. While in early access the "special" premium status lets you move Captains around freely as an extra perk which is handy as you can jump one Capt around on all of them to train it up faster.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
2 hours ago, clammboy said:

The FR DDs do suck, and that entire line's justification to exist are Tier IX Mogador and X Kleber.  The rest just suck balls.  If a Ship Line only has 1-2 good ships, that Line is trash.  The features of the FR DD Line don't even come fully together until you get into the highest of tiers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,683 posts
19,754 battles
7 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Admiral Thunder has already covered these ships not being true premiums. All I'll add is that I actually made the mistake of not upgrading the modules when I got the Normandie way back when, and I got through the whole grind without realizing she was still stock. Normandie was at least good enough in terms of speed and range that it was viable, but not these ones! Newcomers to these events do indeed need reminding!

[PVE]
Members
9,042 posts
25,436 battles
5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Early access may have the same icon as T10 Special ships but they don't get the baked in 50% (or any other amount of) post battle cost reduction that the T10 Special ships get.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

aww man... don't let weegee deceive you these are tech tree ships everyone can grind for free soon...

i bet there are alot that thought these were 'free' premiums...  

[WPORT]
Members
11,651 posts
15,976 battles
9 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Thanks for sharing this information,

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Early access may have the same icon as T10 Special ships but they don't get the baked in 50% (or any other amount of) post battle cost reduction that the T10 Special ships get.

I said the only perk they get is free Capt swap. I was pretty clear no other perks.

[PVE]
Members
9,042 posts
25,436 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I said the only perk they get is free Capt swap. I was pretty clear no other perks.

Yes...but you also said the Specials are the same in that regard (no perks other than Capt swap)...I was just clarifying Specials do get the baked in cost reduction...I did word it oddly though for that intention.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Boring 1

[PHD]
Members
2,006 posts
7,779 battles
10 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

But I don't think they are premium ships, just early release tech tree ships. That's why they are not fully upgraded. 

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
915 posts
6,699 battles

I am enjoying the new botes. While sometimes they do suck there are other times when they are hilariously fun.

[SGSS]
Members
6,309 posts
8 hours ago, clammboy said:

T5 and 6 are great. T7 is a bit more frustrating.  Thw ship is fast and turns well. Gins turn fast but reload is mehhhh.

The guns scatter big time and you dont have many barrels.

Its probably going to be like the cruiser line. Zara was ookkk but T8 was great and better at t9 and T10.

On the while there good ships.

[SGSS]
Members
6,309 posts
11 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

I am enjoying the new botes. While sometimes they do suck there are other times when they are hilariously fun.

That does seem to the thing with them.

Shells go down range and 1 shell hits for a c it and 10-15 k damage.

Next shot shells fall all around what your shooting at. Or over pen.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,092 posts

Ive learned not to add next modules to certain ships like destroyer guns increasing range, it will just put Planetary Orbital Rounds to Lunar Moon Shooting Rounds.

[-V1-]
Beta Testers
399 posts
9,705 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The FR DDs do suck, and that entire line's justification to exist are Tier IX Mogador and X Kleber.  The rest just suck balls.  If a Ship Line only has 1-2 good ships, that Line is trash.  The features of the FR DD Line don't even come fully together until you get into the highest of tiers.

yea sad that how it is with some lines

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
58 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

But I don't think they are premium ships, just early release tech tree ships. That's why they are not fully upgraded. 

You are right, they are just early release tech tree ships. However, they come with the upgrades they just aren't mounted (you have to mount them).

[GOOF]
Members
856 posts
7,055 battles

Yes buff Italian BBS alot please 

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

T5 and 6 are great. T7 is a bit more frustrating.  Thw ship is fast and turns well. Gins turn fast but reload is mehhhh.

The guns scatter big time and you dont have many barrels.

Its probably going to be like the cruiser line. Zara was ookkk but T8 was great and better at t9 and T10.

On the while there good ships.

I have them all T4-T9. 

T6 seems to be the best of the ones currently out (not that saying that means much or is any kind of praise) at least IMO.

T8 and T9 are better than T7 but really only because they have more guns (guns that still can't hit anything and do crappy damage). I know what you mean about a line getting better at T8, even better at T9, and then really good at T10. We have seen that before. BUT I can honestly say for T8 and T9 I don't find that to be the case. They are pretty bad just like the earlier tiers and I could never call them good let alone great. T10 isn't available so no one can comment on it yet. Could be great or could continue the line's progression of suckage?

I am glad you enjoy the new BB's and think they are good. Seriously. I just despise them and find them to be crap top to bottom for the ones we have now. It is a whole line of BB's that suffers from all of Roma's issues with poor SAP instead of poor HE (I find the neutered BB SAP very underwhelming and disappointing - the CA SAP is great but the BB SAP is meh).

For "ME" I find the new Italian BB's to be the worst new line of ships to come into the game since I joined in 2016. Just awful. It may be rivaled however by the incoming KM DD split line. That looks atrocious too at least on paper. The ITL BB's are bad in reality though IMO.

Edited by AdmiralThunder