You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

Torp hit percentage is a lie...

27 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

would be nice if the game tracked your actual hits...

I see no reason why on ships where you can only fire multiple torps at the same time... if they all hit the target they should count so long as any one from the spread caused the sinking...

hit with a spread of 4, and hit with all of them, but you only get credit for 1 if it happens to sink the ship? (likely beaten to death..)

• Cool 2

[GOB]
Members
3,038 posts
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

I see no reason why on ships where you can only fire multiple torps at the same time... if they all hit the target they should count so long as any one from the spread caused the sinking...

hit with a spread of 4, and hit with all of them, but you only get credit for 1 if it happens to sink the ship? (likely beaten to death..)

I don't worry about hit percentages. I fire many torps per round to " Herd" Ships or  as Area Denial.

You can turn a flank with steady volleys of Area Denial torps just as fast as sinking a ship.

Of course,  the ones that sink stuff are cool too!

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles

According to my stats... I have a %15 torp hit... Dont know how I did it... So I guess I want to thank all the fatsos who made it possible...

Um TY? I guess..

• Funny 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

depending on game mode i am as high as 14%.. but last match i hit with 6 of 8 torps... got credit for 3 hits...   2 hit first target and sank it.. 2nd target all 4 hit but i guess only the first got credit because it sank the ship...

[GOB]
Members
3,038 posts
15 minutes ago, SKurj said:

depending on game mode i am as high as 14%.. but last match i hit with 6 of 8 torps... got credit for 3 hits...   2 hit first target and sank it.. 2nd target all 4 hit but i guess only the first got credit because it sank the ship...

For sure...

All the time I see 5 or more torps hit and sink a target but only 2 registered torp hits.

I'm sure that is what happens when you shoot 15 gunz at a ship and if it dies after the first 4 hit that is all you get.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,947 posts
31,960 battles
37 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

According to my stats... I have a %15 torp hit... Dont know how I did it... So I guess I want to thank all the fatsos who made it possible...

Um TY? I guess..

33 minutes ago, SKurj said:

For random games 14-15 % is godlike.  Typical torpedo hit rates are in the 7-8% range.  For co-op typical torpedo hit rates run around 25% (in spite of claims to the contrary bots don't dodge better than humans.)

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
9 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

For random games 14-15 % is godlike.  Typical torpedo hit rates are in the 7-8% range.  For co-op typical torpedo hit rates run around 25% (in spite of claims to the contrary bots don't dodge better than humans.)

Under his claims... he is saying its a lie... All I know, WG dont want Torp players.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,947 posts
31,960 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Under his claims... he is saying its a lie... All I know, WG dont want Torp players.

"Lie" is a misnomer.  The OP is saying that the number is under-reported, for the reasons he noted.  Even if it is not an accurate stat, a 15% torp hit rate is still an impressive number.

• Thanks 1

[BONKS]
Members
3,171 posts
52 battles

Personally I believe the amount of torpedoes that would have hit but "missed" because the target died isn't high enough to shift torp hit percentages by a significant number, as such have little statistical relevance.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,947 posts
31,960 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Personally I believe the amount of torpedoes that would have hit but "missed" because the target died isn't high enough to shift torp hit percentages by a significant number, as such have little statistical relevance.

Since the typical torpedo hit rate is around 7-8%, a 1% increase is a statistically relevant (even a 1/1000 increase would still be statistically relevant.)

[BONKS]
Members
3,171 posts
52 battles
17 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Since the typical torpedo hit rate is around 7-8%, a 1% increase is a statistically relevant (even a 1/1000 increase would still be statistically relevant.)

What I meant with statistical relevancy is that it is unlikely to change the fact that torp hitrates are low. Even with a flat 5% increase from, say, 8% to 13% cannot make anyone in their right mind say that torp hits are common.

Edited by El2aZeR

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,570 posts
13,024 battles
5 hours ago, SKurj said:

Do you really care it seems pretty low on the list . It feels like people just stay up at night and try and figure out things that are wrong with the game . I’m not picking on you I’m just saying everyday it’s something new that most people really don’t care about . 

[ARGSY]
Members
773 posts
11,694 battles

Guys, promise me that you will give back to me the last ten minutes of my life.....:Smile_glasses:

[PVE]
Members
9,070 posts
25,439 battles
7 hours ago, SKurj said:

The ship stops dead when it dies...some of those 3 extra torps were bound to miss anyway if the ship was able to continue on it's heading...& even if they would have all hit if the target continued on it's same course there's no way to calculate what maneuvers the player might have taken & how many might or might not have hit in relation to the many different course maneuver options the payer would have had if they hadn't died.

Best bet is to shoot low life targets down instead of sending a whole rack of torps to do 1 toros worth of damage...that will keep your percentages up.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The ship stops dead when it dies...some of those 3 extra torps were bound to miss anyway if the ship was able to continue on it's heading...& even if they would have all hit if the target continued on it's same course there's no way to calculate what maneuvers the player might have taken & how many might or might not have hit in relation to the many different course maneuver options the payer would have had if they hadn't died.

Best bet is to shoot low life targets down instead of sending a whole rack of torps to do 1 toros worth of damage...that will keep your percentages up.

not in the case i mentioned above... all 4 landed  

of course if 3 miss even if the 1st of the 4  sank the ship i don't expect credit for the 3 that didn't hit

le me reword things... if you fire a spread and more than one hits the enemy ship, all that hit the ship should be counted.  Mostly referring to the close in battles where it is easy to land multiple torps on a target (<4km sort of thing)

single fire torps no, only referring to spreads

[CUDA]
Members
648 posts
9,557 battles

If you started counting hits on hulks as hits I could see people shooting at them as they pass by just to up their hit ratio.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
1 minute ago, Swervenkill said:

If you started counting hits on hulks as hits I could see people shooting at them as they pass by just to up their hit ratio.

that isn't what i stated, if your spread of 4 all hit the same target and the first 1 happens to sink it, i think the remaining torps that actually hit the hulk should count as hits...  if you fired another spread at the hulk i would not expect those to be counted.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Does it really matter? Those extra hits didn’t do anything. They didn’t affect the game or any of the players at all. 

[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,746 posts
23,494 battles
18 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Um TY? I guess..

Yup that torp hit rate is almost double the average.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

image.thumb.png.e87f19b250b29aa871d2eee912253ffa.png

If you want to farm hit rate, look no further than Yolo Emilio.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,118 posts
2,431 battles

The cake is a lie as well o wait this about torpedos nvm :Smile_popcorn:

[VOP]
Members
1,086 posts
13 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

The cake is a lie as well o wait this about torpedos nvm :Smile_popcorn:

The cake is a lie!?!?!? Rats! I wanted cake. :fish_palm:

[PVE]
Members
14,750 posts
31,408 battles
12 hours ago, clammboy said:

Do you really care it seems pretty low on the list . It feels like people just stay up at night and try and figure out things that are wrong with the game . I’m not picking on you I’m just saying everyday it’s something new that most people really don’t care about . 

Well, to be fair, on at least one of the legendary Captains (EU one I think) torp hits activate a skill so hitting 4+ but only being credited for 1 sucks. Then we have torp hit missions where you need a large # of hits and a good % of actual hits don't count because the ship died from 1 or 2 of said hits. 

I mean it is kind of a legit beef at least from that perspective. 

[BONKS]
Members
229 posts
7,049 battles

One thing you must understand that these types of percentages are all relative. For example, a 10% torpedo hit rate might not seem like a lot. However, even the best torpedo boat players struggle to reach 10% hitrates. In fact, when it comes to torpedo hit-rate, most people will only be able to get around 6%. Good torpedo boat players get around 9-10%. Instead of looking at the percentage itself, compare that percentage to the rest of the playerbase to get a more accurate understanding of your skills as a torpedo marksman.