You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bandi73

Why no (national) flags on the sterns and/or bows of ships??

15 comments in this topic

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles

I kept wondering why no flags on the sterns and/or the bows of ships. I mean....there is a reason? I don't get it, why not?

Edited by Bandi73

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

National flags are on the masts, which is the proper location when the ship is underway.

• Cool 5

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
21 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

National flags are on the masts, which is the proper location when the ship is underway.

Makes sense. And in port?

[WMD]
Members
1,965 posts
11,267 battles
25 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

I kept wondering why no flags on the sterns and/or the bows of ships. I mean....there is a reason? I don't get it, why not?

Not every nation uses their national flag as their naval ensign, and as pointed out above, the ensign is flown in the "sea position" rather than the ensign staff when underway. 

[WMD]
Members
1,965 posts
11,267 battles
Just now, Bandi73 said:

What art department task do you want WG to stop so they can add the jack and ensign to ships in port?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
2 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

I suspect it isn't really worth it for WG to have separate models just for the port. The flags aren't the simplest things to add, I know a reason for a while that we couldn't have more than 1 flag on a ship was because of the effort it would take to model a second location for every single ship.

• Thanks 1

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I suspect it isn't really worth it for WG to have separate models just for the port. The flags aren't the simplest things to add, I know a reason for a while that we couldn't have more than 1 flag on a ship was because of the effort it would take to model a second location for every single ship.

Thank you.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Off-topic:  I still remember long ago that WG wasn't able to have aircraft catapult launchers on moving BB turrets.  It took a long time for WG to figure out how.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Off-topic:  I still remember long ago that WG wasn't able to have aircraft catapult launchers on moving BB turrets.  It took a long time for WG to figure out how.

Yup, wasn't until a year or two after I starting playing that TX, NY, AZ and others got their spotter plane. Seems like a simple thing, but guess not.

Now we have individual AA guns rotating and firing, game's come a long way since 2015

[HINON]
Members
9,243 posts
13,933 battles

i think some of them used to be on the stern, the Japanese ships iirc, but it was changed so that all flags are on the masts

Members
339 posts
7,250 battles

I wish I could get this flag for all my Japanese ships, they fly it on Japanese naval vessels today!

rising-sun-flag-japan-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

[WOLF7]
Members
1,057 posts
58 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

I wish I could get this flag for all my Japanese ships, they fly it on Japanese naval vessels today!

rising-sun-flag-japan-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

You can. Use the "Rising Sun" mod on Modstation. I use it and all IJN ships in-game, even other players and enemies, have the Rising Sun flag.

image.png.887e0974545cf9f35bff1e9203ff4616.png

Edited by HamAndCheez
  • Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
787 posts
20,318 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

I imagine you're right.  There's a lot of things that should change between in-port and at sea, but don't.  The flagstaff and jackstaff should be stowed when at sea, but they aren't.   Boarding ladders would be down, and boat booms rigged, when at anchor.  For that matter, when the ship is in port, there should either be an anchor down, or mooring lines to...a mooring buoy, or something.  Or...next time you start the game, watch the video that plays, and you'll notice one of the ships, in the middle of battle on the high seas, has a (perfectly modeled) boarding ladder rigged out, which obviously should be hauled up and rigged for sea.  But modeling the ships accurately in port is apparently low on WG's priority list, for which I can't blame them.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yep, and now if you complete certain collections you can indeed fly a second flag