You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Scattered thoughts as the coffee kicks in

23 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,202 posts
4,572 battles

As I went about my daily routine this morning while waiting for the coffee to work its magic I checked the WoWs home page, like I've done every morning for several years.

Just a quick load, look for anything new, then come over here to see what conversations are happening. 

It occurred to me why I made that part of my daily routine.

For quite a while I had a fund set aside for the purchase of certain ships, services, or other in game items, just in case one of the pop up specials occurred as I knew I'd have to have the money available when the popup happened. 

I also figured I could use those funds in the event the things I was waiting on went on sale for a better price.

Once upon a time that was fairly frequent. Now significant sales seem to only really happen a few times a year around specific holidays.

Don't get me wrong, there are still sales. It's just that it seems more geared towards giant bundles, generally involving whatever the shiny new line is. (yes, I know WG is here to make money.)

Funny thing, I replenished the fund after my last premium ship purchase (Boise last time she went on sale, I'm thinking some time mid 2019). The money is still set aside, waiting for a good deal to come my way.

Speaking of bundles, remember back when we could pay cash for economic signals? Just the ones we needed and not a big box o' signals that we may only need a few of? Those were good times. 

I'm not a completely free to play player, nor am I a whale. I kick in a bit to both benefit myself and the game we enjoy, averaging about $75-$125 a year including the premium time I buy during the Christmas sale every year. There are probably many more in the same boat as me from a spending standpoint. 

Alrighty enough reminiscing, the coffee is doing its job now and it's time to start my day.

Have a great weekend folks, be safe out there.

-Dech

• Cool 10

[VFW]
Members
1,532 posts
32,853 battles

Sound familiar, good post.

vr, 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,572 posts
13,027 battles

Yes I do and I’m the same as you as far money goes . Sometimes a little more but I’m not a whale and not a F2 play player . I buy something if  I like it and it’s reasonable . 
 Oh yea it was nice when you could bye one set of flags for 3.99 . 
Nice post +1 .

[WOLFG]
Members
13,442 posts
12,906 battles

This game is certainly monetized (minus as you note the seemingly hard scheduled sales) for the bulk buy whales.

I am pretty much the same.  Premium time + a few minor purchases.

[SGSS]
Members
6,326 posts

1 remember 1 week end about 3 years ago they had a gold sale.

I got Graff Speed for like 5 bucks.

Have not seen anything like that again sents.

Members
2,270 posts
30,098 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Have not seen anything like that again sents.

I got the sense you meant "since" with your "sents."

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
3 hours ago, dechion said:

While I don't do it daily, I do make a habit of going through the premium shop on a regular basis. I stop and reflect briefly upon each ship, holding it up against the following template of questions.

In no particular order:

1. Does this ship look interesting?
  2. Why do I want it? (Does she fill a niche in my fleet's capabilities? Does she significantly expand directive/mission eligibility? Is she just historically interesting? Does she have a gimmick whose ramifications I'm willing to spend money exploring? Does she demand that I buy her just to see what the fuss is all about?)
  3. Is there some way other than money for me to get it? (e.g. coal, FXP, a Community Contributor giveaway contest, an in-game event to unlock/win it.)
  4. Assuming the usefulness, can I justify the price?

It's amazing how often the synthesis of all that information comes down to "Don't buy". But that's not necessarily a reflection on WG, just an admission that I'm very picky about what I want from my ships. A similar principle applies to things such as decorative permacamos, especially when the ship concerned is a premium and thus already has a permacamo with standard bonuses for the tier.

• Cool 1

[SLI]
9,551 posts
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

While I don't do it daily, I do make a habit of going through the premium shop on a regular basis. I stop and reflect briefly upon each ship, holding it up against the following template of questions.

In no particular order:

2. Why do I want it? (Does she fill a niche in my fleet's capabilities? Does she significantly expand directive/mission eligibility? Is she just historically interesting? Does she have a gimmick whose ramifications I'm willing to spend money exploring? Does she demand that I buy her just to see what the fuss is all about?)
  3. Is there some way other than money for me to get it? (e.g. coal, FXP, a Community Contributor giveaway contest, an in-game event to unlock/win it.)

It's amazing how often the synthesis of all that information comes down to "Don't buy". But that's not necessarily a reflection on WG, just an admission that I'm very picky about what I want from my ships. A similar principle applies to things such as decorative permacamos, especially when the ship concerned is a premium and thus already has a permacamo with standard bonuses for the tier.

I have the same experience.  For me, I think it's a function of already having bought a lot of premium ships.  I check out the shop when a new one hits but often I can't justify it because while it often does do something slightly different, I already have a ship that will accomplish the same function in practice.

There are exceptions, I do generally purchase every new CV but that's a weird me thing and is not truly justifiable.  I do as well still purchase if something is special/unique. There are also some that I missed and am hoping come back (Champaign for example), that I want and will buy if given the chance.  It's just that quite often I look at a new ship and think....I wouldn't mind it but I already have X premium which....pretty much already does that thing.

This isn't necessarily WG's fault.  I have purchased quite a few ships and every new ship can't have a new gimmick.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,640 posts
4,774 battles
3 hours ago, dechion said:

Speaking of bundles, remember back when we could pay cash for economic signals? Just the ones we needed and not a big box o' signals that we may only need a few of? Those were good times.

You can still turn on the "buy for Doubloons" option in-game.  You know, the one they keep having sales for that no one uses?  For the rather rare India Bravo Terrathree at 4 Dubs per that's only $1.60 per 100.  (For ESCL it's $6.40 so not such a deal.)

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
1,202 posts
4,572 battles

Like several others here a lot of whether I'll buy a new premium boils down to a combination of its price and how interesting it is to me, either from a historical or gameplay standpoint.

[WOLFX]
1,202 posts
4,572 battles
35 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

You can still turn on the "buy for Doubloons" option in-game.  You know, the one they keep having sales for that no one uses?  For the rather rare India Bravo Terrathree at 4 Dubs per that's only $1.60 per 100.  (For ESCL it's $6.40 so not such a deal.)

I'd have to crunch numbers that I don't have handy at the moment, but I wonder if it's cheaper for a 5 piece set of economic flags via doubloons or by picking up the bundles currently offered.

As for using doubloons automatically, I prefer not to. Generally speaking I now buy what I'm missing with coal or credits, since there are few coal ships I'm interested in. That's pretty much guaranteed to be the cheapest way to get them.

Edit: buying the 300 pack for $34.99 usd comes in at a rate of 11.6 cents per game for the flags. Not bank breaking by any means, but it does add up over time. 

Edited by dechion

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,135 posts

The game is just a passing. 5 years worth so far.

This is the year that things change. The spending and so on. As in zero.

For example I have about 6 million plus unconverted Free XP that will take about 1500 dollars in doubleloons to convert to elevate three or four 19 pt commanders to 21. Or buy a bunch of ships. Or whatever. I have converted almost 3 million last winter and made it all back to date this year. I probably will have ten million to convert by this winter. Even with the christmas 35 xp points per coin conversion sale its still going to cost 2000+ Forget it.

The commanders advance at a rate of about 25 to 40,000 EXCP a month depending on the first mission of dailies completed. Instead of pre 10.0 patch rate of hundreds of thousands a week.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,544 posts
26,601 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In no particular order:

Same here, but I would also add:

5. Do I have a similar ship in that nation's fleet already?  Case in point:  I already have the Duke of York and the Hood.  That gives me 0 interest in the Yukon.  The two T7 premium BBs I have already are mostly port queens, why add another.  Similarly, the Constitution is a zero interest as I have the Mass and the Mass B, plus the Anchorage in a very crowded USN T8 premium section.  The Napoli, on the other hand .......

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,640 posts
4,774 battles
26 minutes ago, dechion said:

I'd have to crunch numbers that I don't have handy at the moment, but I wonder if it's cheaper for a 5 piece set of economic flags via doubloons or by picking up the bundles currently offered.

It's been a while since I crunched the numbers but nothing has changed, AFAIK.  300-pack of econ signals is by far the most cost effective.  Generally, anything in the Armory for Credits is a terrible deal.  And I have far better uses for Coal.  A ship will come, and if it doesn't buy a commander.

Edited by iDuckman

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
3 hours ago, kyesac said:

Do I have a similar ship in that nation's fleet already?  Case in point:  I already have the Duke of York and the Hood.  That gives me 0 interest in the Yukon. 

I'll give you a counterpoint, accepting that we are both right in the context of our own circumstances. I had the Nelson, but I got the DOY when she came out for coal because (a) I'd always been curious about her since failing to win her in the 2017 Christmas event, (b) she WAS now obtainable without spending money, and (c) unlike her fellow premium tier-mate and her tech tree sister ship, she has the hydroacoustic search consumable. Yukon is indeed a downtiered Monarch, but that's a ship I actually did very well in (my win rate in her is significantly higher than my overall randoms WR).  What's more, she's Commonwealth rather than British, so she serves a different set of captains - and under this new captain skill rework, they won't have to make compromises between what's good for a BB and what's best for a destroyer or cruiser any more. 

Constellation's raw figures promise Colorado guns with enhanced dispersion on a hull which is almost as fast as an Iowa, and her initial stats show torpedoes and radar to boot. That whole package is a radical departure from anything else currently available under the US banner, and for me it's worth at least a watchful eye to see her final form. However, I will be the first to admit that if I were to pull a Missouri from a supercontainer before Constellation is released, she would bring most of what Constellation has to the table and the torps might not be enough extra to swing me. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,544 posts
26,601 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'll give you a counterpoint, accepting that we are both right in the context of our own circumstances. I had the Nelson, but I got the DOY when she came out for coal because (a) I'd always been curious about her since failing to win her in the 2017 Christmas event, (b) she WAS now obtainable without spending money, and (c) unlike her fellow premium tier-mate and her tech tree sister ship, she has the hydroacoustic search consumable. Yukon is indeed a downtiered Monarch, but that's a ship I actually did very well in (my win rate in her is significantly higher than my overall randoms WR).  What's more, she's Commonwealth rather than British, so she serves a different set of captains - and under this new captain skill rework, they won't have to make compromises between what's good for a BB and what's best for a destroyer or cruiser any more. 

Constellation's raw figures promise Colorado guns with enhanced dispersion on a hull which is almost as fast as an Iowa, and her initial stats show torpedoes and radar to boot. That whole package is a radical departure from anything else currently available under the US banner, and for me it's worth at least a watchful eye to see her final form. However, I will be the first to admit that if I were to pull a Missouri from a supercontainer before Constellation is released, she would bring most of what Constellation has to the table and the torps might not be enough extra to swing me. 

I didn't add, but should have, that I consider the Monarch one of my least favorite ships to ever sail in.  Not sure why, but that ship and I never clicked.

The other thing, is that I am SO against having a fleet where I have many, many port queens that get dusted off twice a year.  This is the main reason I only keep Tech Tree ships T9 - T10, and sell the rest.  Also, below T8, I have very few premiums. I just don't play those tiers at all unless I am regrinding a line.  I currently have about 86 ships in port.  I am thinking after I finish all of the DD grinds, I will be sitting at somewhere near 100 ships.  I should be there by Summer.

Currently I have the Atlanta, Graf Spee, Shiny and Shiny B, DoY, Hood, Strausburg, GC, DAosta, Abruzzi, Goriza, and Blyz as my below T7 ships.  Just got the Haida in a SC last week and haven't decided on her yet.  I do have 13 T8 premiums, so that takes care of the need to keep T8 tech tree ships around.

If the Constellation does emerge to the game with Colorado guns and Iowa speed, I might get interested in her.  It also depends on what resource she will be available for.  Currently, after my end of year spree last December, the only resource I have in abundance is coal, and that is earmarked for the Marco Polo.  In the process of stockpiling everything else. 

[A-I-M]
Members
4,118 posts
15,383 battles
8 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

I got the sense you meant "since" with your "sents."

Are you saying his spelling stinks, leaves a few bad scents?

Members
2,270 posts
30,098 battles
9 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Are you saying his spelling stinks, leaves a few bad scents?

Who nose? Maybe....

[A-I-M]
Members
4,118 posts
15,383 battles
5 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Who nose? Maybe....

My nose. I had a May bee sting me on the nose once. My nose didn’t make any scents for a while.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

Members
2,270 posts
30,098 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

My nose didn’t make any scents for a while.

I'm sorry that the bee sting injured nose's earnings potential for a while.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,118 posts
15,383 battles
14 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I'm sorry that the bee sting injured nose's earnings potential for a while.

That makes nose since!

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
40 minutes ago, kyesac said:

The other thing, is that I am SO against having a fleet where I have many, many port queens that get dusted off twice a year.

I can sympathize with that; however, I have a different outlook. My bookshelf is fairly solidly divided into various topics ranging from warships and warplanes to actual design manuals written by missile pioneers to chess to sci-fi to the history of World War 1 on the ground, etc. etc. Some of those books don't get touched for YEARS at a time, but when they do get pulled out they are like old friends with whom I make fresh acquaintance after years apart.

Thus it is with the ships, so it doesn't bother me if I never touch them outside of snowflake season. There are a few rare choices that make me wonder why I bought them, but occasionally a task will come along for which I reach for that ship at once before all others, and she does the job unfailingly and then goes back into reserve until she is needed once more.

[WPORT]
Members
11,726 posts
16,062 battles
12 hours ago, dechion said:

As I went about my daily routine this morning while waiting for the coffee to work its magic I checked the WoWs home page, like I've done every morning for several years.

Just a quick load, look for anything new, then come over here to see what conversations are happening. 

For quite a while I had a fund set aside for the purchase of certain ships, services, or other in game items, just in case one of the pop up specials occurred as I knew I'd have to have the money available when the popup happened. 

I also figured I could use those funds in the event the things I was waiting on went on sale for a better price.

Once upon a time that was fairly frequent. Now significant sales seem to only really happen a few times a year around specific holidays.

Don't get me wrong, there are still sales. It's just that it seems more geared towards giant bundles, generally involving whatever the shiny new line is. (yes, I know WG is here to make money.)

Funny thing, I replenished the fund after my last premium ship purchase (Boise last time she went on sale, I'm thinking some time mid 2019). The money is still set aside, waiting for a good deal to come my way.

I'm not a completely free to play player, nor am I a whale. I kick in a bit to both benefit myself and the game we enjoy, averaging about $75-$125 a year including the premium time I buy during the Christmas sale every year. There are probably many more in the same boat as me from a spending standpoint. 

Alrighty enough reminiscing, the coffee is doing its job now and it's time to start my day.

Have a great weekend folks, be safe out there.

-Dech

You had me at "coffee".  :-)