Sign in to follow this  
hateboat

"You're stupid to say betting is bad" - Wargaming

4 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles

That's right, senior executive stated this, back in 2017, and that the future of competitive PVP is with gambling.

"You're stupid to say betting is bad" - Wargaming

Wargaming head of global competitive gaming Mohamed Fadl in 2017

The WG executive was speaking in regards to World of Tanks, but given the promixity of Warships and Tanks which are developed under the same umbrella company, we can understand the significance of these views for future development, and for future clashes between legislators (see recent developments in Germany as regards Lootboxes) and pc game publishers. It is also important to express caution here, in that we don't know if this executive's opinion published in 2017 represents Wargaming policy and development outlook in 2021.

"...Fadl acknowledged that Wargaming would need to exercise caution in how it handles gambling around the company's hit World of Tanks. But there's plenty of demand for it, and he would entertain the possibility of World of Tanks players being able to bet virtual currency in their matches. Even if it never fully supports betting real-world currency within the game, Fadl is optimistic about the benefits of introducing wagering not just to World of Tanks, but to the larger games industry." https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-04-07-youre-stupid-to-say-betting-is-bad-wargaming

furthermore "I believe betting down the road will be one of the major incomes for eSports or streaming platforms," 

only time will tell, if the above is true. Certainly adults and gambling is not going away, gambling is as old as humanity, on par with the world's oldest profession/

Will hobby gaming and adult gambling truly merge?

What will this mean for under 18s?

Does this mean we can expect more gambling content in WOWS, rather than less?

Are those who say gambling is bad, stupid?

Edited by xXNotCute&CuddlyXx
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 3

Members
43 posts
147 battles
31 minutes ago, xXNotCute&CuddlyXx said:

Will hobby gaming and adult gambling truly merge?

What will this mean for under 18s?

Does this mean we can expect more gambling content in WOWS, rather than less?

as far as I can see:

at least your quote isn't about lootboxes or similar (INgame) stuff but about stuff AROUND a game, so for example betting on tournament matches in betting shops like betting on soccer matches...

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
2 minutes ago, Klopirat_oops said:

as far as I can see:

at least your quote isn't about lootboxes or similar (INgame) stuff but about stuff AROUND a game, so for example betting on tournament matches in betting shops like betting on soccer matches...

the quote mentions virtual currency betting, in game. Which can only be interpreted to mean, Wargaming would like to introduce an in game betting function, allowing players to wager virtual currency on battle outcomes. As virtual currency can be bought in the Premium shop, we are only a hair's breadth from a traditional online gambling website as far as functionality is concerned; BUT keep in mind the quote is from 2017, we cannot presume that it represents the current WG management view

see this below :

45 minutes ago, xXNotCute&CuddlyXx said:

he would entertain the possibility of World of Tanks players being able to bet virtual currency in their matches

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,949 battles

It was a 2017 quote and a lot has changed since then. Virtual currency can be anything now. It can be anything up to and including doubloons, coal, steel, tokens, Bitcoin, and codes if you want to go the nefarious route.

The problem is what kind of gambling is considered appropriate for any game.

Friendly wagers are one thing.

But betting on matches can lead to illegal activity that affects outcomes.

One such notorious bet was between two individuals and while no currency exchange was involved between them as far as I know (Yes, I am aware of that bet.), The ways of that one person to make certain the outcome would be in their favor just so it would not make them look like they lost, was by far the most stupid attempt at shenanigans in the history of gaming. Especially when it involved multiple players.

Most of which are probably not to keen on doing it again. 

There are consequences to betting on matches. It will have moral, ethical, and legal implications that can affect players involved.

Especially if certain jurisdictions are not happy about it.

I am not talking about just the money aspect.

I am talking about the call swatting during a match. 

Phone harassment, and other attempts by adversary players to affect match outcomes can have a debilitating effect on a player that is on a do not call list already. 

It is patently obvious that adversaries have your player information from some players that got it.

I am referring to the C++ crowd.

My advice to them is if you know of an exploit in WG's system then you better do well to tell them and not use it yourself.

This is the hard counter.

All a player has to do in situations like this is go 3rd party.

In this case, ask for the Government to help if a gaming company can't stop the online cyber attack in game, phone swatting, and email phishing sent by obvious senders attempting at mockery.

Such harassment ends easily when you start a case number but it takes time.

Mine is like that.

I started back on Warships discord debut day. And I don't regret it.

Whether anything comes from it remains to be seen.

I was told: " so long as a bad tech savvy  actor, company, or abuse of a net freedom is observed, it provides ammunition to the argument for regulation and further enforcement with harsher punishment should a crime be committed."

Gambling only makes things worse if it's high stakes.

It doesn't belong in this game.

But if it does show up in obvious form, then that will be the death knell for this game.

Sign in to follow this