You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LaurenBacall

Matchmaker Broken

26 comments in this topic

[BOMBS]
Members
136 posts
11,738 battles

Every two weeks, I log back in to see if this ridiculously lopsided MM issue gets addressed. Aaaand its not. Pretty sure I'm better than 20% WR. Don't care what logic the forum throws back at me. Fact is, I'm losing my penchant for WoWS. I'll try again in 2 weeks. Or 2 months. Plenty of other games out there.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

The one constant in every match sits behind your keyboard. Improve that constant, and your long term stats and winrate will improve as well.

bye-kevin.gif

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Members
754 posts
8 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The one constant in every match sits behind your keyboard. Improve that constant, and your long term stats and winrate will improve as well.

bye-kevin.gif

:Smile_popcorn:

[REKTD]
Members
708 posts
11,925 battles

Beyond what may come across as snarky, I’ve found @RipNuN2’s words quite accurate.

Whether it’s an algorithm or me playing poorly - stepping away after a few (3 straight) losses has ended the crazy long losing streaks. Changing classes also helps - some days I can play DDs, most I’m better in BBs. And if I can’t win, it’s probably me and it’s time for space battles.

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
34 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

Pretty sure I'm better than 20% WR. Don't care what logic the forum throws back at me.

Hey, your answer awaits for you in Brawls... 1 vs 1 waiting for you, open now... no team mates cramping your style. 

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,013 posts

Even the brawls are tiresome after a few hours. Retitle it the hunt for Bismarck or the planetary emergency airdefense drill... whatever floats your boat.

There is one big positive. You play enough and endure the losing enough you will have your necessary 55 wins to complete the dab of coal and a little bit of flags etc.

Edited by xHeavy

[WORX]
Members
14,296 posts
20,867 battles
55 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

Every two weeks, I log back in to see if this ridiculously lopsided MM issue gets addressed. Aaaand its not. Pretty sure I'm better than 20% WR. Don't care what logic the forum throws back at me. Fact is, I'm losing my penchant for WoWS. I'll try again in 2 weeks. Or 2 months. Plenty of other games out there.

Brawl is here so, no more reason to complain... IMO you either play or move on...

Whatever you choose.... GL and we'll leave the light on for you...

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,795 battles
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Hey, your answer awaits for you in Brawls... 1 vs 1 waiting for you, open now... no team mates cramping your style. 

If you have a 50% win rate you can expect to do 102 battles for 10.000 coal, 4 each of non special signals,  80,000 ECXP and 2,250,000 measly credits. You have 4 days left, so get going.

Members
451 posts
2 hours ago, LaurenBacall said:

I still don't see how players like OP actually think WOW cares about making a better game.  It's about cash grabs with weekend/wallet warriors and meta changes.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
30 minutes ago, nhf said:

I still don't see how players like OP actually think WOW cares about making a better game.  It's about cash grabs with weekend/wallet warriors and meta changes.

Players like the OP want what is impossible, no randomness in matches. Even with perfect skill balancing one team may over or under perform.

Members
2,070 posts
12,862 battles
3 hours ago, LaurenBacall said:

You probably are better than 20% WR but have you considered that you might be starting the game up in a bad mood and that affects your performance.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
3 hours ago, Rouxi said:

You probably are better than 20% WR but have you considered that you might be starting the game up in a bad mood and that affects your performance.

No of course not. It's obviously the game's fault. WG purposely selecting OP to lose. That's how logic works, right?

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

If you have a 50% win rate you can expect to do 102 battles for 10.000 coal, 4 each of non special signals,  80,000 ECXP and 2,250,000 measly credits.

And the XP he puts on his ships. That's an important motivator you haven't mentioned.

7 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

no team mates cramping your style. 

But also, nobody else to blame when you lose!

BTW regarding CV in brawls, I've faced three carriers in my Albemarle; lost one (vs Enterprise) then won two (Graf Zep, Lexington), and I learned valuable lessons from the loss. Remember, you can't just sit there and spam planes; you have to get your hull into the caps.

Members
5,789 posts
11,606 battles

MM is not causing you losses and "skill" based MM is a joke and will continue to be a joke for a long time.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles
9 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

bye-kevin.gif

What you fail to realize, is that "average players" are what makes our MM function  with some sense of "balance".....  Us "average" folk, you know, those deplorables behind the keyboard, are what make the game exist, improve and function......

What we have now in and have had since Update 8.0 isn't a balanced skill population.  It's no longer a "Random Distribution: of skill our MM "must have" to function.......  If the population was distributed in a nice and safe "bell curve", we'd see Stomps every once and a while (in the 15 to 20% range).....  When veterans start out numbering the rest of the game population because the average players left the game, retired from the game or just, play PVE now........... well, as you "wave goodbye ^^^^" you are actually waving goodbye to the game iteslf...............

9 hours ago, LaurenBacall said:

Do what the rest of us have done" !   Leave PVP and play COOP and Scenarios (what's left of them...) and tell our host, by playing PVE, to..................[ add a snarky comment.! ]

Edited by Asym_KS

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

What we have now in and have had since Update 8.0 isn't a balanced skill population.  It's no longer a "Random Distribution: of skill our MM "must have" to function.......  If the population was distributed in a nice and safe "bell curve", we'd see Stomps every once and a while (in the 15 5o 20% range)..... 

Most players are average because it's the nature of the distribution. MM doesnt consider stats when distributing the teams. Blowouts happen in large part due to the snowball effect and lack of comeback mechanics. This is why even in highly competitive formats blowouts are still pretty common. 

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
7 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

If you have a 50% win rate you can expect to do 102 battles for 10.000 coal, 4 each of non special signals,  80,000 ECXP and 2,250,000 measly credits. You have 4 days left, so get going.

Or... You can do as many battles as you like because it is fun trashing people one on one... And you care run a ship with perma-camo, bare bones because you are F2P and don't really have that many flags laying around... You then can spam 4-5 brawls in the time you play one regular random and surprise surprise, since you don't have team mates you manage WR around 80-90%.

But yeah, I get it you don't like it. To each its own.

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And the XP he puts on his ships. That's an important motivator you haven't mentioned.

Tbh, biggest one should be it is fun. I work for rewards, play for fun.

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But also, nobody else to blame when you lose!

Precisely. Maybe that's the let down, no one to blame but you. But that's being ingenuos, there's always MM, map design, RNG and OP ships to blame.

2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

BTW regarding CV in brawls, I've faced three carriers in my Albemarle; lost one (vs Enterprise) then won two (Graf Zep, Lexington), and I learned valuable lessons from the loss. Remember, you can't just sit there and spam planes; you have to get your hull into the caps.

I'm kinda sad I still haven't fought a CV. That considering the ships I'm using are AA spec'd. 

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles
21 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Most players are average because it's the nature of the distribution. MM doesnt consider stats when distributing the teams. Blowouts happen in large part due to the snowball effect and lack of comeback mechanics. This is why even in highly competitive formats blowouts are still pretty common. 

True.  Most players are "average"...........those 67-69% of the population that makes up the middle of a Bell Curve.......  When they leave, you no longer have 69% to work with.......after the average folk leave PVP, you are looking at 40/60 or even greater odds (30/70 - 20/80) of new players versus Veterans..............and that, ignites what is called cascading error effects.........  Yes, a snowball is a cascading error paradigm.........and, once stomps become normalized, people leave PVP to PVE.........it's why my entire old clan did and then, left the game.......  I am the last of us: in another clan.  Two others play once a month or so when Narai wanders back for the fun of getting together as a division (many of the old clan were whales as well.....)

MM does not use stats to make choices  -  MM relies on "a random distribution" to function..........  No average population at least of 66% density = stomps.  Stomps drive more average players out = more stomps.  Veteran players get tired of getting caught in cascading error stomps and are tired of carrying stompees and retire to PVE = even more stomps !   See how this works.....   Even with a stat considering MM, we'd be waiting hours to build "balanced ship types and players !!!" - our host has chased too many into PVE and Scenarios......a really slippery slope !!!

Edited by Asym_KS

[WOLFG]
Members
13,388 posts
12,784 battles
14 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

True.  Most players are "average"...........those 67-69% of the population that makes up the middle of a Bell Curve.......  When they leave, you no longer have 69% to work with.......after the average folk leave PVP, you are looking at 40/60 or even greater odds (30/70 - 20/80) of new players versus Veterans..............and that, ignites what is called cascading error effects.........  Yes, a snowball is a cascading error paradigm.........and, once stomps become normalized, people leave PVP to PVE.........it's why my entire old clan did and then, left the game.......  I am the last of us: in another clan.  Two others play once a month or so when Narai wanders back for the fun of getting together as a division (many of the old clan were whales as well.....)

Do you have anything to back up the that the average players have left or moved to PVE, other than the story of your clan and your study of games (which is possibly biased)?

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles
39 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Do you have anything to back up the that the average players have left or moved to PVE, other than the story of your clan and your study of games (which is possibly biased)?

Biased !  Good Lord, of course it's biased !!!  That's why some of us got (I'm retired now) "paid to guess;" and, to "speculate about techno/business/cultural dysfunctions".....etc.... :cap_haloween:  An entire career (the second of three) guessing !!!

[SALVO]
Members
3,710 posts
7,564 battles
12 hours ago, LaurenBacall said:

I don't know for sure of course. Looking at things realistically in the long haul you are at 50% . Problem right now is that you have to be realistic and acknowledge  that you are loosing your edge with the large breaks you are taking which results in sub par performance when you do log on for a couple of games. Unless you are super talented or skilled or lucky you can't expect to take breaks like this and come back to great rounds of the game. 

Edited by eviltane

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,795 battles
4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

But yeah, I get it you don't like it. To each its own.

It's really not the game mode that I don't like, it's the grind grind grind for rewards. I think 1v1 should always have been part of the game, I just thought that you should be able to pick your opponent (or have random picks) so you can actually play against (in my case, my nephew) your friends instead of always with them. I know you can do that in the training rooms, except that is with no benefits.

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's really not the game mode that I don't like, it's the grind grind grind for rewards. I think 1v1 should always have been part of the game, I just thought that you should be able to pick your opponent (or have random picks) so you can actually play against (in my case, my nephew) your friends instead of always with them. I know you can do that in the training rooms, except that is with no benefits.

Aye, I agree. There should be a way to "challenge" opponents within the "formal" game scheme, counting for rewards, missions, etc. Hope this changes some day, would be a blast to have spars with clan mates & friends.