You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

CV's in Brawl

37 comments in this topic

[TWFT]
Members
1,608 posts
42,361 battles

Any one that plays a CV in a Gun V Gun game mode like Brawl is just a coward. 

WG is just giving you a free win when you face a gunboat.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 4

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,643 battles

My Graff Zeppelin disagree.

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF6]
Members
55 posts
12,178 battles

Last time they did this I played mostly CV's because I didn't have a lot of time to get it done and I'm pretty good with them.  I have no shame about it, they're allowed by WG.  My only losses that I can remember were to a cleveland that I couldn't touch who capped, then ran away and won on points before I could kill him.  The other was to a Le Terrible who just raced to me before i could burn him down.  

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

So far I have beat all the cvs I have faced, however I havent actually gotten to fire my guns at one either no matter how much I try and close the range. Just sit behind an island and wait for the points to tick I guess

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,512 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Ironlight said:

Last time they did this I played mostly CV's because I didn't have a lot of time to get it done and I'm pretty good with them.  I have no shame about it, they're allowed by WG.  My only losses that I can remember were to a cleveland that I couldn't touch who capped, then ran away and won on points before I could kill him.  The other was to a Le Terrible who just raced to me before i could burn him down.  

How dare they!

Didn’t they know they were supposed to let your carrier mercilessly slaughter them?

• Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,887 posts
24,766 battles

Please, oh pretty please, take a cv out against my Odin.....

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
1 hour ago, Turbotush said:

I will just say that I have been beat in graf zeppelin

Twice

By le fantastique

Let that sink in

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Ironlight said:

You are more than pretty good in them or any other ship type. Even if the MM tosses you another CV the odds are in your favor as you are in the scary good category.

• Funny 1

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
2 hours ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

So far I have beat all the cvs I have faced, however I havent actually gotten to fire my guns at one either no matter how much I try and close the range. Just sit behind an island and wait for the points to tick I guess

i did both ways.:)

2 hours ago, Karstodes said:

My Graff Zeppelin disagree.

It is just food.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
1 hour ago, Freedomshells said:

But....but....CVs are OP so that must win every time. 🙄

Cv's are not simply OP. They are dishonestly implemented.

The only reason why this isn't the case, is because of the reduced ranges of the maps.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[_BDA_]
Members
661 posts
10,270 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Yes!  When you're finished I want one too.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,371 posts
28,290 battles

Kii has handled both Enterprise and Saipan very handedly thus far. Also got the "shoot down 45 planes" mission for Italian tokens done in one match. 

[WPORT]
Members
11,632 posts
15,954 battles

Several of my CV's have earned Close Quarters Expert awards over the course of the past couple of years.

• Funny 1

[TRU]
Members
778 posts
24,413 battles
4 hours ago, Turbotush said:

Last time they did 1 on 1 ranked I only played my Hipper.  I handily beat every CV while ranking out.  The ships that gave me issues were Eugen and Tirpitz.  There was a Wiley DD or two that hid amongst the islands with RPF and just won on points.   

I tried one brawl and took my Enterprise to see what it was all about.   I faced a Al Mont. who did not try capping or rushing me and was burned to death.  The maps are small enough to where you can play smartly and outdo most CV captains.    

Members
90 posts
5,356 battles

I've been playing the Odin since I figured the 32mm penning secondaries plus hydro plus torpedoes would be a pretty great combo, and it seems to have worked out so far.  I've only actually played 7 battles so far, but the only one I've lost was by the skin of my teeth with the enemy Akizuki on like 300 hp. During that time, I've faced two CVs, a GZ and an Enterprise. The GZ nearly killed me, though that was more on me for grounding than any particular skill on their part, while against the Enterprise I won by points while I was in the middle of running them down. Both didn't seem particularly good at actually playing CVs, but even so it was one of the most boring match ups, and I feel like that's the greatest sin their inclusion brings.

Against other torpedo or gunboat style ships, you spend the opening trying to figure out where to position yourself, and where they may position themselves. You try to contest any caps they have while keeping control of your own. You position yourself to avoid rushes, or to set up your own. None of this engaging tactical thinking or positioning is really present in a CV match, at least in my experience in a BB. You decide to head to one part because of island cover and that's where both caps are? Too bad, you're turning to dodge torpedo bombers now. Want to do something other than turn and press O (or whatever your priority sector key is set to) every so often? Tough luck. I was lucky enough that both CVs left themselves out of position so that I could actually shoot them near the end for some catharsis. If they had just kited away sooner I would have spent the whole game shooting planes. I'm not arguing whether or not they're OP in the mode, since I don't feel like I have enough battles in the mode to reliably weigh in. I'm speaking from a point of wanting engaging game play. Fighting a CV solo is anything but engaging.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,513 posts
12,307 battles
6 hours ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I am going to try this strategy against my next CV opponent. The skill rework and nerf to the coal upgrade for speed boost may have impacted my strategy. In the last 1 v 1 Ranked Sprint, I won almost every battle against a CV in Le Fantasque just speed boosting and doing a point-black torp drop, but this is only working for me around half the time now.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Several of my CV's have earned Close Quarters Expert awards over the course of the past couple of years.

Years ago, after Graf Zeppelin was released in a disastrous state, and WG actually quickly overbuffed her into the monster she was in the RTS CV days.  Anyways, in one game in 2017, our team was handily winning.  The enemy CV, a Graf Zepp, was one of the last ships.  We had a force of ships working the map and forced the CV to leave it's hideout.  The CV player immediately went into a nearby cap that had a Benson and LOLORADO of our team.  I saw this about to unfold from where I was at.  But GZ being new, I warned my teammates about her long range secondaries.

The Benson player was getting hammered by GZ secondaries and worst of all, whiffed the point blank torp drop.

LOLORADO did what LOLORADO does best, miss her salvos.

So we watched this GZ player go in between our Benson and LOLORADO, secondaries blazing and bombers bombing, and he got a Double Strike against our two idiots before we finally killed him.  I was so upset and embarrassed for our team having witnessed that, and we won.

The GZ may have lost the game, but he "won" in my book.  But the Benson whiffing a point blank torp drop against a CV sized target... Come on, man!

Members
2,874 posts
94 battles

Meanwhile me on the other side of the ocean: :cap_popcorn:

Spoiler

shot-21_03.09_18_19.50-0076.thumb.jpg.eb0eafd25665d70054932c1f51045705.jpgshot-21_03.09_18_19.58-0222.thumb.jpg.595d614de0408d77fd9eb176669ec9c5.jpg

Spoiler

shot-21_03.08_17_55.40-0149.thumb.jpg.722d8fa33b4590458f98ed80d4f048a3.jpgshot-21_03.08_17_55.48-0612.thumb.jpg.bb2ba928c81212e43d1642f7eeb0df11.jpg

Spoiler

shot-21_03.08_18_04.57-0741.thumb.jpg.764bf708d2340111b8598af298dbf04f.jpgshot-21_03.08_18.05_03-0442.thumb.jpg.df4f93f1641e30ce9d73b5e708b1e0d5.jpg

Edited by RyuuohD_NA
  • Cool 1

[AK-49]
Members
454 posts
10,533 battles

I've only faced CVs twice in a Brawl and won handily both times (and I'm not a great player). I use my Prinz Eugen which is very adept at plane killing and just constantly move and swerve to avoid targeting by torpedo and dive bombers. I thought it was ludicrous for anyone wanting to use a CV in a Brawl unless THEY wanted to try a challenge. 

[AK-49]
Members
454 posts
10,533 battles
1 hour ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Meanwhile me on the other side of the ocean: :cap_popcorn:

Reveal hidden contents

shot-21_03.09_18_19.50-0076.thumb.jpg.eb0eafd25665d70054932c1f51045705.jpgshot-21_03.09_18_19.58-0222.thumb.jpg.595d614de0408d77fd9eb176669ec9c5.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

shot-21_03.08_17_55.40-0149.thumb.jpg.722d8fa33b4590458f98ed80d4f048a3.jpgshot-21_03.08_17_55.48-0612.thumb.jpg.bb2ba928c81212e43d1642f7eeb0df11.jpg

Hide contents

shot-21_03.08_18_04.57-0741.thumb.jpg.764bf708d2340111b8598af298dbf04f.jpgshot-21_03.08_18.05_03-0442.thumb.jpg.df4f93f1641e30ce9d73b5e708b1e0d5.jpg

Wow, with a Cleveland no less. It's got good AA but those bombs and torpedoes can hit her hard. 

[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
3,994 posts
21,895 battles
14 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

an odin on it's own is not that scary against a CV.

Take your pic though, i can turn you into Bratwurst toast with Indomitable, torp and carpet bomb ya with Implacable, boldly deliver you some AP and torp love from Enterprise,  harass you with Saipan, hit you with the floating plane factory Kaga, or Deliver some German ap and torps, take your pic lol

So all I gotta say is 

Hello big boy , funny lovy good time?    I promise ill bring the vaseline A-winking-smiling-emotico-014.thumb.jpg.7514f094f1cd2141d31ef630803799ad.jpg

Edited by xTheCanadianx
  • Funny 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,271 posts
8,371 battles

I played Enterprise once yesterday, got Big Race against a Richelieu and got mauled...  No chance to win.. he rolls straight through cap  spots me and kills me...   Granted a small map with a lot of good places to avoid incoming torps and rockets.    Maybe I could have done a better job avoiding him? ... but looked like I would lose on points before I killed it anyway.    Have no idea how you would beat a competent smoke DD?    Last time in brawls, felt unbeatable in a CV.. this time, not so much?   Looks like they may have done a lot better with the maps and the cap timers.. If you don't take the fight to the CV or play the cap game.. well ..you deserve the loss,.  everything is sped up this time.  CVs are not exactly the same either....   Not sure if I'll try it with a CV again..  Honestly feels like you don't have enough control of the map and timer.   Looks like some of the other maps are bigger and maybe easier to stay safe.. but the cap points seem way faster to me.  so if anything your facing gets a cap on you... you just almost have to be perfect to kill it quick enough.