You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stephen57_battleship

Malware from Wargamimg

8 comments in this topic

Members
45 posts
19,613 battles

what gives ? after 3-years playing i want to know why i got hit with Malware from Wargaming after cleaning out my computer ,today i reinstalled the game my protection blocked a Trojan Hores why is this happening? Wargaming should be keeping us safe from this, has anybody else had this problem? what do you think should i put a ticket in i realy want to know why this has happen. just want to let you know what has happen please advise and get back with me thanks. Stephen

• Thanks 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,086 posts

Wargaming does something suspecious to keep anyone safe except their own precious mother game code.

YOU provide your own security. I have not had but 4 files auto quarantined in the last 20 years or so. They get scanned in real time while downloading, held in a box and scanned again. 24/7

I have some college IT security experience. What you catch and see is not the worry. Its what you don't see is the real danger. In the end, there is nothing of value on the game box to harvest except maybe game passwords which will themselves need about 40 years of processor time to brute force. And if they actually got it? I would just kill the product and walk. More likely to do so with a broken game.

In the end if I find the machine is infected which I have twice in my lifetime, I just run DOS edpart off a old 1.44 mm floppy at USB boot and poof re-image the computer from storage array in a hour. Nothing survives a removal of disk partition and DOD format passes 10 times. Especially on a raid array whose SSD's (x6) are swapped out with spares in a random order to break up anything left to run on them.

The old infected SSD's are then taken to a metal works and applied to one of their induction furnances with great power. ZAP! nothing but one big fat zero in binary inside them. They are cheaper than thumb drives today and considered disposable. I then order replacements from stock like new. Since I can hot swap them into and out of a live computer, I don't worry about infections. A minor annoyance.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's a false alarm.

^^  This. 

No, we don't know why, but it happens.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
30 minutes ago, Stephen57_battleship said:

what gives ? after 3-years playing i want to know why i got hit with Malware from Wargaming after cleaning out my computer ,today i reinstalled the game my protection blocked a Trojan Hores why is this happening? Wargaming should be keeping us safe from this, has anybody else had this problem? what do you think should i put a ticket in i realy want to know why this has happen. just want to let you know what has happen please advise and get back with me thanks. Stephen

Its your malware/anti-virus company putting false positives to scare you into believing malware is present..

The industry is notorious for it... Its one of the tools used to scare their customers into buying their products.

[BTLST]
Members
356 posts
8,218 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its your malware/anti-virus company putting false positives to scare you into believing malware is present..

The industry is notorious for it... Its one of the tools used to scare their customers into buying their products.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that everybody is not out there to get you. :Smile_trollface:

Seriously though, false positives are something that simply happens the way that the anti-malware/virus software works and don't necessarily indicate foul play on the part of the security software company. There are two principal ways that security software can identify malware or viruses:

• Static detection searches for signatures (byte sequences that are associated with malware/viruses) in a file. If that signature is present, the file is presumed to be infected. The security software that I've used in the past allowed to submit those files for a false positive verification and - if indeed a false positive - they modify the signature, so it still detects the virus/malware, but doesn't trigger an alarm for your file. I've had a few infection alerts over the years and they all turned out to be false positives.
    This one is less prone to false positives, but malware/virus authors try to get new variants of their bugs into circulation that don't trigger the signature check.

• Dynamic (behavioral) detection: This one doesn't depend on the latest signatures, but on the downside it is even more prone to false positives, because the decision of what constitutes "suspicious" behavior is prone to errors. For that reason I have turned off the ransomware detection on my security software, because it frequently blocked software that was just trying to update itself to a newer version.

Apart from the bad players that certainly exist in this industry, I'm sure that false positives are actually a hassle and a nuisance for a reputable security software company, because they just mean more work that could otherwise be spent on more productive things. So only buy/download your security software from a reputable company and then only from their own website.

Edited by tangofan

[WORX]
Members
14,359 posts
20,908 battles
9 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that everybody is not out there to get you.

Nope, just quoting past law suits against these companies.. Its nothing to do with paranoia... If you're a Anti-virus company and you do your job well... Then you're going to go out of business soon.. Why would your costumers have a need for your product If there's no threats?

Now if you "create" a virus (haven't heard of a virus going viral?It use to be more common). Or create false positives upon your users... You might scare those who are paranoid, into retaining your services.

AVG right now is the biggest offender of this tactic from what I've understand... This is a common practice of scare mongering your consumers into buying Anti-virus..

Edited by Navalpride33

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's a false alarm.

This, it is a false positive.

Back in the DOS/W9X days it was a must to turn off anti-virus to install anything because of those false positives.