You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Deputy276

Leone?

44 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
2,451 posts
6,843 battles

Just curious if anyone has bought this thing and if it is worth looking at? :Smile_Default:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,890 posts
24,775 battles

Probably 

No

Only good thing is her broadside Alpha strike.

Otherwise same ship as designed 2 years ago.

No Italian gimmicks.

And with frequent double cv matches she will not be fun to play.

[KREW]
Members
486 posts
22,330 battles

CV impact isn't relevant in PVE. Only one situation where you may encounter 2 CV's.

Haven't seen any Leone's being played in COOP and only one in Operations so far. The low DPM of the guns and slow torpedo's weren't much help.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
49 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

Just curious if anyone has bought this thing and if it is worth looking at? :Smile_Default:

Haven't see a single one so far in Co-op. Just seem them played on streams. Looks really weak.

• Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
3,938 posts
31,887 battles

I've seen one.  I asked the player about it, and the response was "it is a fun ship."  I get the feeling this is like inscribing "keep in touch" in someone's yearbook who you barely know.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
19 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

The low DPM of the guns and slow torpedo's weren't much help.

1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Looks really weak.

:Smile_great:This :Smile_sad:IE  Doesn't  look like it's worth the effort to buy it  NTY  WG!

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
349 posts
8,677 battles
2 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

Just curious if anyone has bought this thing and if it is worth looking at? 

Leone is Italian for "Makarov."  :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,680 posts
19,754 battles

For me, after looking at others' gameplay it has the feeling of a ship which, like its EU stablemate, will be happier in Randoms. 

That won't stop me from getting her, but I want to see if I can grab one free from a giveaway before I put down money for it.

[MELON]
Members
984 posts
2,894 battles

For the few games I've played with it so far I enjoy it. it kinda feels like a pocket light cruiser and I love taking half the health of enemy dds in one salvo 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

Four torpedoes.

FOUR.

And her guns are on a CL reload schedule.

You want a Tier VI DD Gunboat with Smoke?  Farragut is your answer.  Aigle exists also, a FRDD that's been around years before the actual Line came out.  A FRDD with 139mm guns x5 on a 4.8 seconds reload + SMOKE, which the Tech Tree FRDDs lack.

WG has been churning out a lot of very mediocre Premium Ships lately.

Leone.

Mysore is a Premium Fiji Fail.  How do you screw up one of the best CLs of the RNCL Line?  You pull a Mysore.

Fen Yang was put out this past January.  Akizuki is one of the best ships in the IJN DD Line.  A Premium version for the PADD Line should have been an easy layup and moneymaker for WG, but they screwed that up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,312 posts
6,951 battles

So I guess she's the worst of the "lions" in the game, eh? LOL. :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy:

Get it? We have Lion, Lyon, and now Leone... and Leone is the worst lion of the bunch, lel. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 1

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,534 posts
18,501 battles

i invited some random players from WoWs discord channel to div up, Leone shine when not detected/not shoot at/hunting and flushing out dd, her torps reload very fast ... we won the game everyone focus the big fat Fuso and forgot Leone was lurking very close. The player played the game perfectly

play the Leone's strength, if your skills or play style dont adapt to the ship, then it the player. Not the ship

[PTRGT]
Members
479 posts
61,801 battles
6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Haven't see a single one so far in Co-op. Just seem them played on streams. Looks really weak.

I'm a DD nut and I don't see the point for it now, maybe if it was on sale latter on.

But seeing as I'm still trying to rebuild my 19 point Captains up to 21 I haven't paid much attention to new ships.

I didn't even see it mentioned in the EU Stream so I guess it wasn't too important enough for Wargaming to advertise it

[CNO]
Members
6,799 posts
20,434 battles

As a BB main, I'm very selective in my DD choices.  I looked over Leone's stats...thought about if she fits my DD play style...and....drum roll.....YES.  Only have two games under my belt...both bottom tier'd and had a good time playing my style and  placing well for a T6 in a T8 match.

One of my styles is gunship from smoke.  She has 8 120mm...good range...and a long smoke duration.  Another style is smoke for the team and then spot for the team.  Again, she can stream out a lot of smoke...so the smoke/spot game is something she does well.  Her torps are slow...but long ranged and reload in less than a minute.  Good for lane denial in general...and complements the two other styles above.

Her jack of all trades nature see some very nice synergy in the many plus ups available in flags or Captain's skills.

If your play style is similar to what I note above, then take a look at her attributes and how you could make a build for your style.  If your style isn't close to mine above, then you probably won't have fun with her.

As an aside, compare her to the Duca D'Aosta.  Both are Italian.  Both have slow long range torps and both have good ranged shells that require de-orbit burns to get back to Earth.  So that Italian flavor is definitely in the cards.  If you like the Duca D'Aosta...you "might" like Leone.  One's a CA and one's a DD...but some of the style is the same.

Lastly, with SI, she only has three smoke charges.  So that's an important strategic decision.  On the plus side, if you take all the plus ups, the time between smoke evaporation and your next charge is like...five seconds or so.  Perpetual smoke for nigh six minutes...that's kinda crazy.  There are probably some really nasty divisioning tactics purple clans are already working on with Leone in the mix.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

Members
1,024 posts
22 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

I play alot of T6 destroyers.     I'll end up with it eventually from a Santa crate or something, but there is no way I'm specifically buying this thing. It has no appreciable benefit other than 12km torps, and Fubuki beats it with 3x3 16k torps even it they are 'only' 10km.   Concealment equal to many DDs, so no advantage there.   The gun reload is laughable - and only 2 smokes?   wth? 

I was hugely disappointed as I was l looking forward to more variety with my T6's.   At least WG made it an easy decision.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
915 posts
6,699 battles
17 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

i invited some random players from WoWs discord channel to div up, Leone shine when not detected/not shoot at/hunting and flushing out dd, her torps reload very fast ... we won the game everyone focus the big fat Fuso and forgot Leone was lurking very close. The player played the game perfectly

play the Leone's strength, if your skills or play style dont adapt to the ship, then it the player. Not the ship

This sounds great for randoms but in coop you aren't going to make the top half of the scoreboard.

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

Remember in Co-Op, DDs make their money with TORPEDOES.  Very few DDs can dominate the Co-Op scoreboard with guns primarily, i.e. Kitakaze, Harugumo with their insane firepower.  Most every other DD, including Kleber, Mogador and those 139mm armed French DDs, primarily make their best games because of torpedoes.  Even Khab isn't a good Gunboat for Co-Op purposes because her torpedoes are much better for the job.

4 torp Leone isn't that.  Especially when her gun reload time is slow.  Dallas with her 152mm x10 main battery reloads faster than Leone and her sh*tty little 120mm x8 guns.

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
2,451 posts
6,843 battles

Thanks guys! Some outstanding posts from everyone. I will definitely PASS on this one. Really appreciate all the input. :Smile_Default:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
22 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

Thanks guys! Some outstanding posts from everyone. I will definitely PASS on this one. Really appreciate all the input. :Smile_Default:

The annoying part is Leone's going to be filler for Santa Crates / Anniversary Crates.  The same way tons of people got the worthless Makarov in their Santa Crates.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The annoying part is Leone's going to be filler for Santa Crates / Anniversary Crates.  The same way tons of people got the worthless Makarov in their Santa Crates.

:Smile_great:Yup this surprises you why? That's what World of Warships has come to be:Smile_sad:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:Yup this surprises you why? That's what World of Warships has come to be:Smile_sad:

I had a bunch of Tier X ships eligible for the Santa Crates.  I won 1 ship.  Next time that happens, I see the same thing happening again, one ship... And I bet it's going to be Leone!

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

Members
1,024 posts
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier X ships eligible for the Santa Crates.

Unless WG changes thier policy, you're not getting tier tens in Santa crates.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,516 posts
12,333 battles
2 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

Unless WG changes thier policy, you're not getting tier tens in Santa crates.

He meant the free small Santa's Gift crates you earn from Tier X snowflakes.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I had a bunch of Tier X ships eligible for the Santa Crates.  I won 1 ship.  Next time that happens, I see the same thing happening again, one ship... And I bet it's going to be Leone!

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

:Smile_great:Funny post :Smile_sad: I didn't even get one

• Sad 1