Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
McHale772

A Noob trying to understand the FINE Details of Auto-Bouce

8 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
3,466 battles

I have read and watch a lot of content on Auto Bounce.  As I learn more from clan mates and what I see in game play, I can see there is a lot more then meets the eye.  I am hoping someone can help some light on a situation I had in game play.

I was in VIII Massachusetts 1/3 life and was heading right at a VIII Hipper.  The Hipper was shooting AP at my bow.  Very few ricochets and I was losing large chucks of health.  According to everything I read the guns on Hipper did not over match my Bow.  Searching did not find any buffs that allows Hipper to ignore the Auto Bounce.  Yet there I was in astonishment as I watch large chunks of health vanish before my eyes.

Any Idea or thought would be great.

McHale

[FML]
Members
4,315 posts
16,490 battles
12 minutes ago, McHale772 said:

Any Idea or thought would be great.

Curious. Initial reactions:

1) Are you sure it was AP and not HE?

2) Are you sure you were perfectly bow in; a little bit of angle could mean he was doing full pens into your bow section for decent to good damage, even though he was not overpenning your bow and landing citadel hits. Remember, at close range the angle of his fore and aft guns can be materially different to the angle to his hull.

3) Are you sure that the AP was hitting your bow only, and not your superstructure for full pens?

If you still have the replay, that would be helpful. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[WOLFG]
Members
34,398 posts
10,713 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

3) Are you sure that the AP was hitting your bow only, and not your superstructure for full pens?

That's a big one. At closer ranges, it's easy to put shells just above B turret, and right into the superstructure.

Members
1,030 posts

No way hipper can pen your bow with ap at those angle. It would shatter let alone ricochet. Its 32mm and would have to be broadside to pen.  Most likely you were being hit by he since germans can pen 32 and usn ships are coated in it and probably was spamming and hitting parts that were 32. Other than that maybe he hit your superstructure. That or you have the worse dysnc in the world and on his end and server end you were getting hit by superstructure.

Edited by ThiccLoliThighs

[MIBRA]
Banned
1,424 posts
9,048 battles

He is was probably penning your super structure. Usually it deal overpenetrations, meaning 10% of the listed damage per shell.

I am not sure however if you can pen the conning tower and which type of penetration it is. At some point, it used to be citadel.

[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,746 posts
23,494 battles

OK so I watched the replay...looks like the first two volleys you were presenting enough side and on the third volley it looks like he was hitting your superstructure right above the B turret.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,398 posts
10,713 battles
34 minutes ago, ThiccLoliThighs said:

No way hipper can pen your bow with ap at those angle. It would shatter let alone ricochet. Its 32mm and would have to be broadside to pen. 

I dunno, how much pen do Hipper shells have at say, 10km? 

At just shy of autobounce angles, that 32mm is only 64mm effective thickness.

Sign in to follow this