You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

LO Bot IQ

13 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts

Seems to be happening more often...     

Coop warm up this morning. Wondering why I am in a 3 on one BB fight all by myself when I know there is another FDG (bot) on my team.

I got 2 of the three before I burnt down so I went looking for him.

Found him here where he had been the whole game ............

LOBOTIQ.png

ff6b20e3579faae78213f92bd6d919eb.gif

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,400 posts
26,840 battles
21 minutes ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

Can’t make coop to engaging 🤣

Yeah messing with the AI can be problematic. Make them too "human like" and you might as well play Randoms. Make them too stupid and it gets boring. The programmers could just make them unbeatable and that wouldn't be any fun either. Pathing issues are aways an issue with AI in games. The stuck bot ship was probably responding to either incoming fire or moving to intercept a human player and just got stuck. I have a lot of co-op games and this can happen, it is pretty rare (which says much about the programmers abilities) but it can happen. Those times I have witnessed them getting hung up, have always been something combat related and not just sailing around the map and running into things. You see it with torpedo & aircraft attacks on the bot ship normally. 

[ARR0W]
Members
4,244 posts
26,694 battles

Be careful what you wish for. 

They cranked up the bots once, and the Co-Op crown was here with pitchforks and torches because they couldnt achieve 100% WR and harvest every morsel of hitpoints from their games. 

• Meh 2

[LEGIO]
Members
3,584 posts
9,151 battles
2 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

They cranked up the bots once, and the Co-Op crown was here with pitchforks and torches because they couldnt achieve 100% WR and harvest every morsel of hitpoints from their games. 

I think the problem was that some of the bots would just run away and skirt the edge of the maps like some players do.

• Cool 1

[ARR0W]
Members
4,244 posts
26,694 battles
7 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

I think the problem was that some of the bots would just run away and skirt the edge of the maps like some players do.

Under certain conditions, but I remember that a lot of the complaints were that many of the bots actually selected targets well and shot at approximately unicum skill. That actually got me to go play some in Co-Op. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

Yep but they ignored that if you played the objectives you could get around 500 base exp in a match that was only a couple of minutes longer..

[PVE]
Members
14,733 posts
31,353 battles

False and total :etc_swear:

1 hour ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

:cap_like: ^^^

Basically what it was - the bots ran away and wouldn't fight so we had to chase them for extended and unnecessary periods of time game after game after game. It wasn't harder it was just longer for the exact same outcome and rewards.

I constantly hear people complain when they have to chase a CV down at the end of a Co-op game and how it drags the game on and on. Well, imagine 2,3,4 or more ships all running away and having to do that for all of them. THAT is what people complained about not the crap some float about it was too hard, WR% dropped, etc... 

[DMGS]
Members
201 posts
7,415 battles

Reminds me of a situation I witnessed on coop. Beware of Sinop bots on Two Brothers... they always beach themselves sideways in the channel and feel no urge to leave.

[PVE]
Members
14,733 posts
31,353 battles

Under certain conditions, but I remember that a lot of the complaints were that many of the bots actually selected targets well and shot at approximately unicum skill. That actually got me to go play some in Co-Op. 

That is what they do now. That is not unique to the improved AI attempt. The bots have a lot of known cheats and their amazing accuracy and magical RNG has always been one of them. Your recollection is faulty.

What you might be remembering is WG tuned up the lowest tier bots (talking T1-T3) big time (usually they are very easy by design so new players can learn without getting discouraged). People commented that they might have overdone it there and it might be too much for new players but at no time did people complain or talk about improved accuracy and such at mid to high tiers. Just no.

In the update where WG tried to improve the AI they made these changes that people talked about, liked, and wanted them to keep...

• Bots actually would WASD a lot more so they were much harder to hit.
  • Bots would actually use their smoke. Not well but they used it.
  • Bots weren't so predictable. Sometimes they would rush this side of the map, sometimes this one, etc... Wasn't always the big center rush or rush to known areas on a given map. It varied some and you could actually get surprised. 
  • Seems to me there was another big change but it escapes me right now???

Again, Co-op players liked those changes and asked they keep them. We all praised WG for that.

What was a problem, and ultimately ruined that change to the AI, were the chicken bots. They would turn and run away at the 1st sign of getting shot at even if they outnumbered the greens. Multiple bots would spend the whole game just running away from you and you had to chase each one down. It didn't make it harder or more of a challenge and it for darn sure didn't lead to more losses as so many claim. The outcome was still 90%+ wins ; it just added unnecessary length to the game for the exact same outcome.

So yes, Co-op player complained. What PVE mains enjoy about Co-op is the in your face brawl playstyle and the fast and furious games. If we wanted long drawn out games with the reds running away and hiding all game we would play PVP (not meant as an attack just a simple statement). We asked WG to take the chicken bots away, that tuned Co-op into PVP Lite, and leave the rest. But they took it all away.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts
2 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

i remember that and I LOVED it!

Bots using smoke... Detecting an ambush and stopping and backing up..

It was GREAT!

Some of us are not here for easy , we are here for FUN!

Easy isn't fun.

• Boring 1