You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

About To Reset My First Ship Line to Grind Research Bureau Points. Can Someone Answer a Couple Questions For Me Before I Do This

37 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
288 posts

I'm gonna reset the Japanese Harugumo line and then after that my Shimakaze line. I'm assuming all my Captains and Legendary Upgrades will be fine and they are transferred off? I also assume any Permanant or Special camos I attained for ships will be safe as well? 
Anything else I should know before I do this? None of the RB ships really interest me but I don't have any tech tree ships left to grind that I want so I figured I'd start banking RB points in case something new gets added in the future. I plan on actually grinding the lines and banking some more free xp along the way as well. 

Edited by Lord_Argus

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,607 posts

If you have UU and LU on your ship within a given tree. Leave it be.

Pick another T1-T10 line that is already completed to regrind for RB points. I am doing the German BB line for the second time. It will need about 5 more regrinds before I complete the necessary RB points.

[O7]
Supertester
394 posts
13,185 battles

Resetting a line:
Each tech tree line with a Tier X ship will display, in the Tech Tree panel in Port, a button below the line to reset the line. Pressing this button will cause:

- all ships in the line, Tiers II through X, to be sold for credits Credits (at the normal Sell price),[4]
- all modules for those ships, mounted or saved in Inventory, to be sold for credits Credits,
- all Upgrades on or for those ships to be de-mounted to Inventory at no cost,
- all mounted camouflages and signals to be de-mounted, including permanent camos and skins,
- all Commanders on those ships to be moved to Reserve.
- all Elite XP on those ships is transferred to the Tier 1 ship, where it may be used to unlock the Tier II ship.

This is from the wiki.

The Harugumo line requires the least amount of exp needed to regrind to T10. 

• Cool 2

[SOBA6]
Members
288 posts
7 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Pick another T1-T10 line that is already completed to regrind for RB points. I am doing the German BB line for the second time. It will need about 5 more regrinds before I complete the necessary RB points.

Why leave it be? Will it get rid of me legendary upgrades?

Members
859 posts

Keep in mind that everytime you rebuy the ships to get the points you'll lose 25mil credits resetting it again.

So, for max credit efficiency, you can accumulate resets until you have all you need to buy the ship you desire.

Which means I never get to use my Kitakaze, Haru, ect..

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,214 posts
21,066 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

No. You'll keep any upgrades, camouflages and signals equipped. They'll go to your inventory and be available for you when you need them again.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,736 posts
26,270 battles

Just my opinions here but if you're going to reset:

-Make sure to pick a line you enjoy or it becomes extremely tedious. However, if your favorite ship is Shima or Harugumo realize you wont have access to them for a while.

-If you're using a ship in that line for clan battles or ranked, either have a substitute picked or consider a different line based on how soon you can get it back (free experience)

- Consider the meta you're going to be regrinding in. If the meta is full of dead eye battleships a cruiser might not be the easiest regrind.

- If you're doing a line split, you might want to do both at once as you'll save time and effort regrinding some ships. For example I reset both Groz and Khaba at the same time. Tier 1-7 all work toward both lines. You do miss out on some research points in this line because the split starts at Tier 8, so you wont get the 5,6, and 7 RB points twice, only once but to me that's fine. It will work better for the Japanese but doesnt save you as much effort as the split starts at 5.

- One of the worst experiences I've had with RB is playing a ship without its module upgrades. It's been a long time since I had the base ships and that loss of range, AA, HP, or consumables can really throw me off. I use free experience often to just unlock the upgraded modules. Others may not feel the same way but it really throws me off.

4 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

- All your upgrades will be sent to your inventory so theyll be there ready to remount each time you unlock the next tier ships. Its acatually a good way to change the load out with wasting credits or using dubloons if you've changed your mind about your setup, especially for UUs and LUs.

- All your captians will be sent to the reserve and will be ready to hop back on your ships when you unlock them. I'm not sure what happens if your reserve doesnt have space though, I have way more captian slots than I'll ever need.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 2

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers
93 posts
20,345 battles

One other consideration when selecting a line to reset (if you plan to actually grind the line) is you want to pick a line that has captains already trained for the lower tier ships. Makes grinding a much less painful if you have a 10 pt or better capt already assigned. Now that you can buy a higher point capt or run sans capt this is no longer as big an issue but it certainly makes it less painful. I have a couple lines I rotate through that have at least 15 pt captains from tier 5-10 and perma camos on most to ease the grind.

• Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
2,236 posts
13,275 battles
5 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I reset my German BB line back in December. I have the UU for the Kurf, it was there when I got back up to the Kurf. Why do you suggest leaving it be? There was no issue with the UU, it was treated like every other module. 

7 minutes ago, deadmeat2012 said:

One other consideration when selecting a line to reset (if you plan to actually grind the line) is you want to pick a line that has captains already trained for the lower tier ships. Makes grinding a much less painful...

I agree with this 100% - especially now with the cost of retraining captains and the way most of us are still regrinding up to 21. 

Edited by TheArc

[KOTSB]
Members
217 posts
11,145 battles

If you are considering doing two lines. May want to consider spreading out the two grinds. The "season" is 3 months long and each season you get a double on the RB point reset. Meaning the first line reset of the season is worth actually 20,000 points instead of the normal 10,000. I like to wait for the new season to get the double bonus before a line reset. Maximize your RB point gain for the effort. 

Season reset was just a couple weeks ago so it should be up. These doubles stick, meaning they will stay on the ship forever until you play them. It does not expire.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,397 posts
10,021 battles
6 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

None of the RB ships really interest me but I don't have any tech tree ships left to grind that I want so I figured I'd start banking RB points in case something new gets added in the future. I plan on actually grinding the lines and banking some more free xp along the way as well. 

I find the RB points are useful for replenishing certain signals. Basically, the RP I earn from daily missions covers this, while still continuing to amass points with the regrind.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,607 posts

I am a cautious person when it comes to special assets like LU, UU etc within game. I don't trust that they go to inventory waiting to be reinstall.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,214 posts
21,066 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

I don't trust that they go to inventory waiting to be reinstall.

They do.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,871 posts
28,557 battles

@Lord_Argus One more thing, when you reset you will receive credits equal to the "sell" value (half which could be modified by your clan or special events.)  When you go to buy them back you will pay full price (also modified by clan or special events.)  So, when you re-grind you will need to also grind enough credits to re-buy your ships.

[W-P-E]
Members
366 posts
25,139 battles

You can preview what reset would do after clicking on the button.   It needs a confirmation to proceed.   Preview tells you how much you getting, what are being sold, what goes to inventory etc.

I did my first reset to US CA on last day of double bonus points, then US CL next day.  So T2-T5 only needed to be done once.  Backthen T5 got no RB points.   US CA was my first T10 so nice to play them again after few years.   Then done EU DD once and JP gunboats 2 times.   Only doing 1 bonus reset each time (except didn't do in the first season), still got enough points for 2 BB.

With regular ranked battles,  it's a lot easier to grind T8 and T9 DD.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,592 posts
15,143 battles
8 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I'm gonna reset the Japanese Harugumo line and then after that my Shimakaze line. I'm assuming all my Captains and Legendary Upgrades will be fine and they are transferred off? I also assume any Permanant or Special camos I attained for ships will be safe as well? 
Anything else I should know before I do this? None of the RB ships really interest me but I don't have any tech tree ships left to grind that I want so I figured I'd start banking RB points in case something new gets added in the future. I plan on actually grinding the lines and banking some more free xp along the way as well. 

Aloha,

Hopefully this helps some.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Research_Bureau

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Thanks 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,757 posts
21,871 battles
9 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I'm gonna reset the Japanese Harugumo line and then after that my Shimakaze line.

Tip: If you're going to reset these lines, you can reset them at the same time to save a bit of time and money rebuying the T2-T4s. This is because the two lines share those ships, and so you wouldn't have to rebuy them twice. A very minor amount, but worth mentioning.

9 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Anything else I should know before I do this?

Depending on how you feel about FXP vs. annoyance, you might want to FXP stock hulls during the grind. You'll still earn FXP on balance, just a bit less. However, I find that the time saved (hull upgrades are usually on the critical path to the next ship anyway) and the better earnings from having a ship with more HP and maneuverability are worth it for me.

Also, skip on buying modules that you don't actually need. For example, the RN CL line has a bunch of torpedo upgrades that are sort of a joke. Don't waste XP on them during a regrind.

On balance, expect to lose credits in every regrind cycle. The cost of rebuying all the ships generally outweighs your net earnings, just as it does in a regular grind.

If you think you'll be regrinding the same line(s) in the future, consider assigning dedicated commanders to each ship along the way. It'll save you tons of time/doubloons/grief over time.

Finally, I would say to take advantage of Ranked where possible. Bronze and Silver let you bring T8-9 ships, and so you can get additional rewards while grinding (or XP while grinding ranks, however you want to look at that). Do at least upgrade your modules though, don't be that guy who brings a naked stock ship.

• Cool 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,747 posts
12,636 battles

Just keep resetting the Kit line every 3 months for the x2.  or is 4 months.

And don't reset more than one line at a time.. it brutal IMO.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,592 posts
15,143 battles
22 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Tip: If you're going to reset these lines, you can reset them at the same time to save a bit of time and money rebuying the T2-T4s. This is because the two lines share those ships, and so you wouldn't have to rebuy them twice. A very minor amount, but worth mentioning.

Depending on how you feel about FXP vs. annoyance, you might want to FXP stock hulls during the grind. You'll still earn FXP on balance, just a bit less. However, I find that the time saved (hull upgrades are usually on the critical path to the next ship anyway) and the better earnings from having a ship with more HP and maneuverability are worth it for me.

Also, skip on buying modules that you don't actually need. For example, the RN CL line has a bunch of torpedo upgrades that are sort of a joke. Don't waste XP on them during a regrind.

On balance, expect to lose credits in every regrind cycle. The cost of rebuying all the ships generally outweighs your net earnings, just as it does in a regular grind.

If you think you'll be regrinding the same line(s) in the future, consider assigning dedicated commanders to each ship along the way. It'll save you tons of time/doubloons/grief over time.

Finally, I would say to take advantage of Ranked where possible. Bronze and Silver let you bring T8-9 ships, and so you can get additional rewards while grinding (or XP while grinding ranks, however you want to look at that). Do at least upgrade your modules though, don't be that guy who brings a naked stock ship.

^^^This, I also wait until the season starts and reset 2 at a time, so you get the X2 RP on your first of the season and then another.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[ANZ4C]
Members
270 posts
7,869 battles

Don't reset the most economically efficient line, reset the lines you had the most fun with. Making it a grind, makes it, well..... grindy.

Make it a line you enjoy, and it's not a grind, but just a bit of fun, with a bonus on the end

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
23,460 posts
17,416 battles
4 hours ago, deadmeat2012 said:

One other consideration when selecting a line to reset (if you plan to actually grind the line) is you want to pick a line that has captains already trained for the lower tier ships.

Good point. I used the free retraining we got at the very beginning of 0.10.0 to stack the IJN gunboat line from Tier 4 upwards with 10 pointers that I'd got with Christmas Crate ships (I got a Japan-a-palooza from my Hizen-event crates) or ships I'd already ground through and won't ever be regrinding.

I doubt I'll be in the T2 or T3 long enough to need anything more than a 6-pointer for them.

[SGSS]
Members
5,811 posts
10 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I have reset a lot of lines and Camo and moduals will be fine.

You can do i line every 3 months were you get 2x the points.  Basically 20k vs 10k

[A-I-M]
Members
3,879 posts
14,912 battles
10 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

No. It will demount all your installed upgrades at no cost, no loss. Legendary ones, coal-bought special ones, and the dime store plain-Jane ones.

Researchable modules (A-hulls, etc.) get sold.

[AAA]
Members
210 posts
20,059 battles

11 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Statsbloke has a great video about what will happen. All your questions that you have and some you didn’t know you had should be answered. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1