You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

New T6 Italian prema camo. What's with the hand on the side of the ship?

26 comments in this topic

[SGSS]
Members
5,721 posts

Why is there a giant hand saying stop on the side of my ship:)

FYI... Despite what CC have been saying the Italian BB are good.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,104 posts
11,733 battles

Like almost any other line release it turns out that despite much hoopla to the contrary, the ships actually don’t suck 

[RLGN]
Members
15,615 posts
27,321 battles
1 hour ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Like almost any other line release it turns out that despite much hoopla to the contrary, the ships actually don’t suck 

My experience with SAP tends to say otherwise.

One, maybe two good hits on something, then damage saturation giving you the bird if you try to keep shooting at that target.

[T_O_P]
Members
536 posts
2 hours ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

I have mixed feelings about them. in one round seems ok, in another you expect the incoming shells to bounce (because you are at those angles (30-35) ...but then you get hit with multiple cits and your hp goes from 100% to like 25% instantly. Nevertheless the worst offenders are British heavy cruisers and Italian cruisers. Those just get 1 or 2 shots from any angle and you are back in port. just mo.

11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

One, maybe two good hits on something, then damage saturation giving you the bird if you try to keep shooting at that target.

I agree... or you just get the bird and nothing else even though the angles are good.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,786 posts
25,727 battles
47 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Battleship SAP can be really great, especially against enemies that aren't obliging you with a flat broadside to plant AP with.  But the problem with SAP, just as with the Cruiser SAP version, is that they need precise placement.  It can be bounced and there will still be armor sections 381mm SAP cannot penetrate.  Even if aiming for Superstructure, the dispersion of Italian Battleships, coupled with their horrid 1.6 Sigma, can yield extremely wild results.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The SAP shells aren't the problem.  It's the inconsistent guns for a Battleship that are the problem.  These things are so unreliable that they make Roma look like Sniper Thunderer / Yamato in comparison.

Members
2,069 posts
12,691 battles
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Battleship SAP can be really great, especially against enemies that aren't obliging you with a flat broadside to plant AP with.  But the problem with SAP, just as with the Cruiser SAP version, is that they need precise placement.  It can be bounced and there will still be armor sections 381mm SAP cannot penetrate.  Even if aiming for Superstructure, the dispersion of Italian Battleships, coupled with their horrid 1.6 Sigma, can yield extremely wild results.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The SAP shells aren't the problem.  It's the inconsistent guns for a Battleship that are the problem.  These things are so unreliable that they make Roma look like Sniper Thunderer / Yamato in comparison.

That's been my experience as well. SAP seems good but I rarely land enough shells to do much.

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,585 posts
4,655 battles

Ive only played the Tier IV and Tier VI, the tier IV...well its tier IV and pretty much irrelevant but i dont mind the Doria. I think she is a solid ship and Ive had success with her. I wouldnt say she is trash like some others have said but I also think there are only a few trash BBs in the game, looking at you Monarch you absolute piece of garbage. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,285 posts
17,234 battles

Got a Kraken plus one in the Doria this evening, and I will not hear ill spoken of that ship ever again. :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
13,924 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Doesn't help that despite nominally being meant to be effective against DDs, Italian BB SAP is capped to 10% of their max damage against DDs. As if DDs weren't already coddled enough.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,721 posts
1 hour ago, JSFWRX85 said:

Ive only played the Tier IV and Tier VI, the tier IV...well its tier IV and pretty much irrelevant but i dont mind the Doria. I think she is a solid ship and Ive had success with her. I wouldnt say she is trash like some others have said but I also think there are only a few trash BBs in the game, looking at you Monarch you absolute piece of garbage. 

Sooo how do you really feel about Monarch????:cap_rambo:

[WOLF3]
Members
29,786 posts
25,727 battles
4 hours ago, Rouxi said:

That's been my experience as well. SAP seems good but I rarely land enough shells to do much.

A day or two ago in operation Raptor Rescue using Andrea Doria, I had a bot Kongo at around 5km away.  Fully broadside and I had SAP ready.  I aim at the superstructure and where do the shells go?  Sailing high above the superstructure, missing, or going so low that it hits the armor belt at the waterline.

That's fine, it's a dumb bot, I'll switch to AP this time and end it's world.  I aim at the waterline and fire.  The AP shells fly into the superstructure for overpens, or severely undershoot into the water.

I about smashed my damn keyboard.

1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

Doesn't help that despite nominally being meant to be effective against DDs, Italian BB SAP is capped to 10% of their max damage against DDs. As if DDs weren't already coddled enough.

Yeah, that's the fun thing.  SAP is meant for light armor targets, so of course WG makes it weak against Destroyers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
13,924 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah, that's the fun thing.  SAP is meant for light armor targets, so of course WG makes it weak against Destroyers.

Couple that with Italian BBs poor accuracy, you're lucky to score hits on DDs at all and if you do the damage is anemic.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,176 posts
6,350 battles

The reason cruiser SAP is so good - you can land shells on target accurately and quickly. You cannot do that in a BB, your guns fly all over and they reload so slow. 

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
13,924 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

The reason cruiser SAP is so good - you can land shells on target accurately and quickly. You cannot do that in a BB, your guns fly all over and they reload so slow. 

Eh, "quickly" Is relative for Italian cruisers. They still have long reloads compared to same tier cruisers of other countries. They are still accurate, however, and so far as I know are not capped to 10% of their damage versus DDs the way Italian BB SAP is.

[GLF]
Members
51 posts
25,601 battles

The hand is a Roman military symbol carried in the standards of some legions.  Other symbols were also used, spears, etc

[WOLFG]
Members
32,224 posts
9,984 battles
10 hours ago, Zaydin said:

To be fair, what's the point of having the "overpens only" rules for BBs vs. DDs, if it's not universal.

Plus, we know what cruiser SAP does to DDs, I don't think DDs need to be capable of being deleted by a single salvo.

Edited by Skpstr

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
704 posts
5,960 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I got the Doria last night. I've only played her once but WHOA those guns. Even close range shells go EVERYWHERE.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,565 posts
15,072 battles
20 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Why is there a giant hand saying stop on the side of my ship:)

FYI... Despite what CC have been saying the Italian BB are good.

Aloha,

The raised hand is a Roman salute and was a very regularly used in Roman standards (as you see in the image).

Mahalo,

-hapa

shot-21.03.03_09.17.01-0346.jpg

[SGSS]
Members
5,721 posts
11 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

The raised hand is a Roman salute and was a very regularly used in Roman standards (as you see in the image).

Mahalo,

-hapa

shot-21.03.03_09.17.01-0346.jpg

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,786 posts
25,727 battles
4 hours ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

I got the Doria last night. I've only played her once but WHOA those guns. Even close range shells go EVERYWHERE.

WG gave these new ITA Battleships the complete worst of everything in terms of Battleship accuracy.

1.6 Sigma across the board for the tech tree BBs, minus the Tier X who has an unholy 16 guns.

French / Italian / Old German Battleship Dispersion Model, the worst dispersion in the game.

VOILA!

If RNG blesses the salvo accuracy and your aim was where it should be, then it can do some good damage, even against angled BBs.  If not, then you just wasted your time and have 30 seconds to ponder about it.

There's actually worse Sigma BBs in Tier VI, but they're not as bad as Andrea Doria.

New Mexico has an atrocious 1.5 Sigma and an even worse 34.2 seconds reload, I think the slowest reload in her tier for any Battleship.  But at least she has USN / RN BB Dispersion, which is in the middle of the pack.  She has 12 guns vs 10 of A.Doria, so more dice rolls.

Fuso has terrible 1.5 Sigma also, yet she is one of the most loved ships in the IJN BB Line.  Why?  IJN BB Dispersion is the best at range.  She also has 28 seconds reload time.  Like New Mex, she sports 12 guns also.

Normandie actually is very close to A.Doria.  Same 1.6 Sigma and shares the same FR / ITA BB Dispersion.  Same 30 seconds reload.  But she has 12 guns vs Doria's 10.

My prediction is the Tier X is going to be the Atlas holding this entire ITA Battleship Line on its shoulders.  With 16 guns she'll shotgun the sh*t out of everything... We already have a BB like that Live, that lots of people love... Lyon, who has 1.5 Sigma and FR BB Dispersion.  But her 16 gun salvos makes up for everything.  That's what I see the ITA Tier X BB doing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,198 posts
12,767 battles
8 hours ago, Skpstr said:

don't think DDs need to be capable of being deleted by a single salvo.

But it's cool for Cruisers and everyone else to be deleted by a single salvo from DDs? :cap_horn:

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
13,924 battles
11 hours ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, what's the point of having the "overpens only" rules for BBs vs. DDs, if it's not universal.

Plus, we know what cruiser SAP does to DDs, I don't think DDs need to be capable of being deleted by a single salvo.

By that logic, BB AP and torpedoes from cruisers and DDs need to be capped to 10-20% of their max damage against cruisers. After all, we don't want cruisers getting deleted in a single salvo, do we?

[WOLFG]
Members
32,224 posts
9,984 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

After all, we don't want cruisers getting deleted in a single salvo, do we?

What we don't want, is DDs too afraid to cap and spot. Because when they are, they sit back as far as possible and chuck torps around.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,021 posts
13,924 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

What we don't want, is DDs too afraid to cap and spot. Because when they are, they sit back as far as possible and chuck torps around.

A lot of DD players are either already too afraid to cap and spot and hang back where they are no good or are overly aggressive, charge in, get lit up by radar or outspotted by another DD, focused down and then spend the rest of the match in chat blaming the rest of the team for their being sunk.