You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

My Precious... (PVE Thread)

25 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
Spoiler

FDR IS MINE...:cap_horn:

For the briefest of moments I considered Plymouth which is a better ship for Co-op than a CV with BB reload times for it's plane armaments. BUT I have saved for this ship for too long and stayed the course until I had enough Steel which I finally did earlier today. I will probably do Plymouth next assuming I am still playing when/if I have enough Steel and it is still there or something else doesn't interest me more. 

w8UqUf5.jpg

1st game shows promise. The torps are glorious LOL.

izzK3gH.jpg

52O5THf.jpg

qkuTFxB.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
5,087 posts
22,484 battles

CONGRATS Fearless Co-Leader !

I hope this is a monster for you because we need a Carrier Driver for Naval Battles !!!!   Most of the rest of us in PVE get air or motion sick............. :cap_haloween:

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,282 posts

Congrats admiral. I remember saving a better part of a year and a half for the Flint when she was a steel ship. Don't regret it . Then or now .

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
10 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I hope this is a monster for you because we need a Carrier Driver for Naval Battles !!!!   Most of the rest of us in PVE get air or motion sick............. :cap_haloween:

I already got elected for that. I didn't run and I wasn't consulted; just got appointed the CV guy.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,768 posts
10,910 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I already got elected for that. I didn't run and I wasn't consulted; just got appointed the CV guy.

I hear you "volunteered"  

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I hear you "volunteered"  

Don't believe everything you hear.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,221 posts
22,778 battles

Congrats Admiral! My focus remains on Plymouth if I ever get enough steel...

[PVE]
Members
5,087 posts
22,484 battles
25 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

OH yes !  We are sooooooo glad you .... you.....   you....errrrr, were appointed, elected, volunteered, designated or any other way of Identifying the "Carrier Guy" because, the rest of us, well........just ain't GuD enough to fly....!   I have trouble with forward and back, left and right.....  I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you do do what you do do !

[CO-OP]
Members
2,799 posts
28,330 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

I thought Fearless Leader only wanted to get moose and squirrel (although it does have flying things, so maybe he got confused.)

Fearless Leader

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles

So 8 games in and some initial impressions. 1st though an important tip...

• REMEMBER TO MOUNT YOUR UPGRADE MODULES IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!! :fish_palm:

I just remembered I didn't do that so all the games so far have been without. DOH! Let's see how it goes with some extra plane speed & plane HP, torp upgrades, etc...

Best game so far is 106K and my average is actually a few K more than Midway but far fewer games of course (300+ in Midway). FDR feels like a stronger Midway (makes sense it was a Midway class IRL) and I really like Midway so this should be a good fit.

So far the long reload hasn't been the big deal I thought it might be. The slow planes are more of a pain tbh and more them getting back to the CV then heading out.  Honestly, I usually do a pre drop, then 1 attack run, and F back to the CV for most of the game until late with CV's as the bots stay close and the AA can be rough.  Doing that with FDR works about the same as all CV's. Leaves some planes to use late if you get down. Bots get the same magical RNG with their AA as they do the main guns so spinning around waiting 25 sec to attack again isn't worth it.

FDR "feels" sluggish next to Midway which makes NO sense at all as they have the same speed, turn radius, and FDR actually has a better rudder. But it "feels" like it is slower and less maneuverable? My last game was an all bot game and I got spotted late and could NOT get away (got burned down by a Conqueror) and in Midway I usually can. I died but had done enough to soften the bots up so the friendly's pulled it out.

• LOVE the torps. OMG they are so good and I am already pretty good at getting all 8 to hit. It is hard to get all 6 of Midway's to hit but I can get all of FDR's 8 to do it? The extra torps also makes it easier to get a couple on a DD or Cruiser if you misjudge the lead which is nice. You get BIG alpha strikes with FDR from the torps. 
  • The Midway bombs feel better despite being the same as FDR but I suspect it is the BRN like drop of FDR vs a more conventional one with Midway. Midway seems more accurate with them for sure (FDR's go everywhere but where aimed sort of like MVR after the nerf). I have Midways LM/UU so that might be part of liking the bombs on it better too.
  • The rockets, as advertised, SUCK! I mean big time. The attack run and reticle mirror the KM CV's and I hate it. It puts out a huge swarm of rockets and even with like 30 hits you might get 5K damage. They are slow and need a lot of lead too. I only use them when low on other planes or I am following up a bot using DCP and trying to stick a fire on it. They are not good at all. Can't even kill a really low HP ship with them. 

It does far better in Co-op than I expected. I just play it aggressive like I do in most CV's by heading for caps at the start and getting stuck in. No sitting at the back for me. Believe this was a good choice. Am happy with the decision. :cap_like:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I thought Fearless Leader only wanted to get moose and squirrel (although it does have flying things, so maybe he got confused.)

Fearless Leader

Him and his Fearless Leader :etc_swear:

Don't encourage him :Smile-angry:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,486 posts
22,854 battles

Congrats 

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles

So yeah, this is going to work.

Of all maps to wind up alone in a CV = Ocean. :Smile_facepalm:

Pointed out as I was on the killing attack run to take out the bot CV. :etc_swear:

Got robbed of a lot of kills in this one but a win is a win is a win.

51 torp hits LOL... :fish_boom:

ymqzowD.jpg

t3b5b3o.jpg

QYwmQWo.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
15,636 posts
27,325 battles
51 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Actually realized recently that I have 30k-ish Steel, and could get any of several steel ships; but really have no strong desire to do so.

Too busy dealing with other things right now.

[PVE]
Members
5,087 posts
22,484 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yes, my Master.........  The Schwartz is strong in you.......  And, you are a nice, and very well informed,  Oh Captain, My Captain: and..........also, play Carriers since the rest of our clan seems to allergic to Altitude or Aluminum.....

IN FACT.........oh/oh/OH..........wait a minute !!!   Planes had nose Art   !!!!!   Oh gosh Boss, I know what yours would be if we created it and could assign it to your planes !!! 

image.png.54db1b83b0bb503a61d320bd1bce46a7.png

@Hapa_Fodder can we have a mod created to add nose art to planes ???

Our Fearless Leader really needs to do this !

[WOLF7]
Members
875 posts
37 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Yes, my Master.........  The Schwartz is strong in you.......  And, you are a nice, and very well informed,  Oh Captain, My Captain: and..........also, play Carriers since the rest of our clan seems to allergic to Altitude or Aluminum.....

IN FACT.........oh/oh/OH..........wait a minute !!!   Planes had nose Art   !!!!!   Oh gosh Boss, I know what yours would be if we created it and could assign it to your planes !!! 

image.png.54db1b83b0bb503a61d320bd1bce46a7.png

@Hapa_Fodder can we have a mod created to add nose art to planes ???

Our Fearless Leader really needs to do this !

Picture 1 of 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,501 posts
2,157 battles

Ya peeps with the FDR are making me jelly :Smile_sceptic:

[ARGSY]
Members
23,322 posts
17,285 battles
23 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The torps are glorious LOL.

I've heard that the torps don't even need warheads - the crew just hops from torp to torp and boards the enemy. :Smile-_tongue:

20 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Of all maps to wind up alone in a CV = Ocean. 

At least they can't duck behind an island to mess up your attack run!!!!

Initial results seem to indicate that she's more than good enough for co-op. The DDs shouldn't be an issue here since they don't even try to hide themselves, and the FDR's alleged major weakness of not being able to fire immediately on a destroyer that it self-spots shouldn't be a problem for you. Let us know how you get on.

[WOLF7]
Members
875 posts
22 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So yeah, this is going to work.

Of all maps to wind up alone in a CV = Ocean. :Smile_facepalm:

Pointed out as I was on the killing attack run to take out the bot CV. :etc_swear:

Got robbed of a lot of kills in this one but a win is a win is a win.

51 torp hits LOL... :fish_boom:

ymqzowD.jpg

t3b5b3o.jpg

QYwmQWo.jpg

Nice match! I have yet to break 200k in damage in co-op myself, if I recall correctly. How in the world did you save up enough steel for this ship? How long did it take you? I've been playing for 1 year and 2 months and I have about 7500 steel saved up. Are there better ways to earn steel for PVE-only players? I refuse to play PVP.

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've heard that the torps don't even need warheads - the crew just hops from torp to torp and boards the enemy. :Smile-_tongue:

At least they can't duck behind an island to mess up your attack run!!!!

Initial results seem to indicate that she's more than good enough for co-op. The DDs shouldn't be an issue here since they don't even try to hide themselves, and the FDR's alleged major weakness of not being able to fire immediately on a destroyer that it self-spots shouldn't be a problem for you. Let us know how you get on.

This is the best CV I have used for torping DD's. The KM ones with their quick reticule and fast torps used to be the best but with 8 torps on FDR you just lead way out in front of them and 2-5 hit almost all the time. You just have to be very careful of what is near the red DD as a lot of torps will go past it/miss because you put so many down. I have had to call off attacks because friendly bots (and humans) get too close and I can't risk it. 

FDR is great in Co-op as long as you understand as a CV it will not put up huge numbers as often as the other classes just due to time constraints. With that said it is already after about 25 games leading for avg damage of all my CV's (ahead of Midway & MVR). 89K p/ game avg so far. It runs up and down between that and like 105K as I seem to be settling in to 90-100K most games.  Some games it is really low and then we have the 150-200K games that off set those. I think 85-90K is where it will settle over the long haul.

I have yet to lose credits in it even in my worst game.

2 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

Nice match! I have yet to break 200k in damage in co-op myself, if I recall correctly. How in the world did you save up enough steel for this ship? How long did it take you? I've been playing for 1 year and 2 months and I have about 7500 steel saved up. Are there better ways to earn steel for PVE-only players? I refuse to play PVP.

PM sent

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,322 posts
17,285 battles
57 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have yet to lose credits in it even in my worst game.

That's the REALLY good thing about the T10 premiums.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,661 posts
25,142 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's the REALLY good thing about the T10 premiums.

Yeah that is their saving grace IMHO. The free perm camo makes them profitable to play or on a bad game, not as financially devastating. It seems far cheaper to buy tier 10 premium ships using farmable resources than to buy perm camo for TT ships using money.