You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Gallant in the face of Carriers.

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles

This is how I approached a two-CV-per-side battle in my Gallant, whose anti-aircraft capability is measurable in terms of personal sidearms.

Props to the New Mexico captain who eschewed shooting at other battleships to assist me in dealing with some of the smaller ships which pushed up to our flank. Teamwork is everything. 

I didn't feature the entire battle because it went on for quite a while after I was dead, but it was one of those near-run things which sometimes leaves both sides feeling satisfied with the result.

ETA: I should mention that since the new Pan-American Jurua is a carbon copy of this ship in every way that matters (apart from nationality), what goes for the Gallant is true for the Jurua also.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,185 posts
13,206 battles

"... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.  we must be cautious."  :Smile_veryhappy:

Thanks for sharing the game video @Ensign_Cthulhu.  :cap_look:

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

Members
1,196 posts
1,698 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

whose anti-aircraft capability is measurable in terms of personal sidearms.

Why do I shoot down so many?

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
3 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Why do I shoot down so many?

It depends on what you're shooting down. If someone drops a fighter CAP right over your smoke, consider it dust; CAP fighters can be very fragile. The other thing that brings ships with weak AA a lot of air kills is if they finish off planes that a stronger ally nearby has already weakened. 

My AA was getting such pitiful results in this battle that I stopped considering it worth my while. That's a fact. Whether that's consistent across multiple battles is quite another matter.

[RLGN]
Members
15,680 posts
27,420 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It depends on what you're shooting down. If someone drops a fighter CAP right over your smoke, consider it dust; CAP fighters can be very fragile. The other thing that brings ships with weak AA a lot of air kills is if they finish off planes that a stronger ally nearby has already weakened. 

My AA was getting such pitiful results in this battle that I stopped considering it worth my while. That's a fact. Whether that's consistent across multiple battles is quite another matter.

I liked Gallant in the original Dynamo because I did better against the E-boats  with it than with the stock DDs.

Pitiful... That was what the RAF fighters in Dynamo were. I don’t think they even traded 1 for 1 like cap fighters do now.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pitiful... That was what the RAF fighters in Dynamo were. I don’t think they even traded 1 for 1 like cap fighters do now.

The fewer they killed, the more for us and the more BXP we brought home!

[RLGN]
Members
15,680 posts
27,420 battles
56 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fewer they killed, the more for us and the more BXP we brought home!

Except ship AA, unless you ran Sims with DFAA, was just as worthless.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except ship AA, unless you ran Sims with DFAA, was just as worthless.

B hull Monaghan was pretty feisty IIRC. Not as good as Sims, but it was what I had.

[SGSS]
Members
5,787 posts
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is how I approached a two-CV-per-side battle in my Gallant, whose anti-aircraft capability is measurable in terms of personal sidearms.

Props to the New Mexico captain who eschewed shooting at other battleships to assist me in dealing with some of the smaller ships which pushed up to our flank. Teamwork is everything. 

I didn't feature the entire battle because it went on for quite a while after I was dead, but it was one of those near-run things which sometimes leaves both sides feeling satisfied with the result.

ETA: I should mention that since the new Pan-American Jurua is a carbon copy of this ship in every way that matters (apart from nationality), what goes for the Gallant is true for the Jurua also.

NM does very bad things to cruiser.

[K-POP]
Members
3,071 posts
24,607 battles
On 3/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If we are on the subject of double CV matches this is how I dealt with both of them.

shot-21_03_03_10_34.46-0647.thumb.jpg.0c1b36273381e94ac3e96e10f8779aed.jpg

shot-21_03_03_10.35_03-0886.thumb.jpg.9bc43ff1a43b580ada07b4d17e3b7306.jpg

Above Shokaku torpedoed for my final kill to seal a kraken and Indomitable the second last kill by long range gunfire.

This is rare killing both CV's, I have maybe done this less than a dozen times in playing this game.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
4 hours ago, tm63au said:

Above Shokaku torpedoed for my final kill to seal a kraken and Indomitable the second last kill by long range gunfire.

Niiiice.

NGL, much as I like CV, if I'm not in a carrier myself I have every interest in seeing any CV on the other side dead.

• Cool 1