Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MrTurtle49

All that is needed in this game to fix carriers are permanent fighters.

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

32
[-TRM-]
Members
22 posts
1,392 battles

Anyone who has played in a carrier knows what happens when you attack an enemy cv. They are the one class in the game that can properly defend themselves from air attack. If it is a brand new squadron, you likely will get a drop off, but you likely will lose all your planes or take heavy losses. If it is a damaged squadron, it is likely you may never get the chance to drop.

I think that if these fighters instead were stuck around the carrier 24/7, the player could move them around the map by pressing the m key, exactly like the rts fighters. Everything else stays the same, and once a squadron of fighters is destroyed, a consumable cooldown occurs, and then you get your squadron back.

I would propose that t4 gets one squadron with 3 consumables, t6 4 consumables, and the t8 and 10 would have two squadrons, only t8 gets 3 charges and t10 gets 4.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

No.

Prior to the Carrier Rework years ago you had a full air wing. Some were fighters, bombers and so on. In groups of 6, 8 etc.

You ran the airwing as needed across the entire game world during the battle in real time. Could be as many as 10 individual groups responding to teammates and their requests as well as certain important battle threats.

The way I fought a Carrier of any kind up to the old Bogue which was what I had ground to when the CV RTS System was deleted in favor of the system we are more familiar with today. Was to send fighters up first. Kill the enemy Bomber and Torp squadrons in a Barrier CAP line. Teammate AA took care of the rest. Once all of the enemy CV Strike ability is defanged, then it's a plain fighter sweep with two squadrons of fighters pouncing on any one of enemy CV fighter groups which got deleted.

In due time sometimes I go after their fighters first. Kept my strike assets on CV and held for later. When Enemy CV was defanged and essentially a giant paperweight target, I allowed the strike assets to come up and serve the teammates attack requests going after dangerous Reds. Enemy carrier is toothless and would try to either hide or move forward to cap something while it still lived.

It was a great system. WG and Wows made sure years ago to completely and utterly throw all that away and update, rework and build what we are dealing with now. The problems began when they introduced endless planes, rocket planes and all sorts of other [edited] level systems trying to reinvent the wheel.

Many players have never experienced a enemy Carrier dropping a complete and absolute full torp spread at 1km. It deletes the enemy carrier under the old system so fighters for CAP were kept ready as were AA ships etc. From Teammates.

Much of what is being posted now in terms of asking for a fix this fix that and update this etc... its all been done with RTS prior to the CV rework years ago. And it was a very sweet system. IF you were able to manage up to 10 groups, your own carrier and the evolving map wide fight with your entire teammate fleet. Not everyone could do that so the CV stuff we see today is dumbed down.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,559 posts
10,681 battles
8 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

No.

Prior to the Carrier Rework years ago you had a full air wing. Some were fighters, bombers and so on. In groups of 6, 8 etc.

You ran the airwing as needed across the entire game world during the battle in real time. Could be as many as 10 individual groups responding to teammates and their requests as well as certain important battle threats.

The way I fought a Carrier of any kind up to the old Bogue which was what I had ground to when the CV RTS System was deleted in favor of the system we are more familiar with today. Was to send fighters up first. Kill the enemy Bomber and Torp squadrons in a Barrier CAP line. Teammate AA took care of the rest. Once all of the enemy CV Strike ability is defanged, then it's a plain fighter sweep with two squadrons of fighters pouncing on any one of enemy CV fighter groups which got deleted.

In due time sometimes I go after their fighters first. Kept my strike assets on CV and held for later. When Enemy CV was defanged and essentially a giant paperweight target, I allowed the strike assets to come up and serve the teammates attack requests going after dangerous Reds. Enemy carrier is toothless and would try to either hide or move forward to cap something while it still lived.

It was a great system. WG and Wows made sure years ago to completely and utterly throw all that away and update, rework and build what we are dealing with now. The problems began when they introduced endless planes, rocket planes and all sorts of other [edited] level systems trying to reinvent the wheel.

Many players have never experienced a enemy Carrier dropping a complete and absolute full torp spread at 1km. It deletes the enemy carrier under the old system so fighters for CAP were kept ready as were AA ships etc. From Teammates.

Much of what is being posted now in terms of asking for a fix this fix that and update this etc... its all been done with RTS prior to the CV rework years ago. And it was a very sweet system. IF you were able to manage up to 10 groups, your own carrier and the evolving map wide fight with your entire teammate fleet. Not everyone could do that so the CV stuff we see today is dumbed down.

It's dumb down and created an entirely new set of problems that are just as bad if not worse for every other ship class but CV's themselves. Instead of actually trying to fix them they made them more "accessible" or "approachable" or whatever word they used to try and justify it.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[-TRM-]
Members
22 posts
1,392 battles
19 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

No.

Prior to the Carrier Rework years ago you had a full air wing. Some were fighters, bombers and so on. In groups of 6, 8 etc.

You ran the airwing as needed across the entire game world during the battle in real time. Could be as many as 10 individual groups responding to teammates and their requests as well as certain important battle threats.

The way I fought a Carrier of any kind up to the old Bogue which was what I had ground to when the CV RTS System was deleted in favor of the system we are more familiar with today. Was to send fighters up first. Kill the enemy Bomber and Torp squadrons in a Barrier CAP line. Teammate AA took care of the rest. Once all of the enemy CV Strike ability is defanged, then it's a plain fighter sweep with two squadrons of fighters pouncing on any one of enemy CV fighter groups which got deleted.

In due time sometimes I go after their fighters first. Kept my strike assets on CV and held for later. When Enemy CV was defanged and essentially a giant paperweight target, I allowed the strike assets to come up and serve the teammates attack requests going after dangerous Reds. Enemy carrier is toothless and would try to either hide or move forward to cap something while it still lived.

It was a great system. WG and Wows made sure years ago to completely and utterly throw all that away and update, rework and build what we are dealing with now. The problems began when they introduced endless planes, rocket planes and all sorts of other [edited] level systems trying to reinvent the wheel.

Many players have never experienced a enemy Carrier dropping a complete and absolute full torp spread at 1km. It deletes the enemy carrier under the old system so fighters for CAP were kept ready as were AA ships etc. From Teammates.

Much of what is being posted now in terms of asking for a fix this fix that and update this etc... its all been done with RTS prior to the CV rework years ago. And it was a very sweet system. IF you were able to manage up to 10 groups, your own carrier and the evolving map wide fight with your entire teammate fleet. Not everyone could do that so the CV stuff we see today is dumbed down.

The issue there is that ships, not just carriers, can be deleted out of existence in a single drop. I know exactly how the rts system worked. I wish it still was the rts system, but I also still enjoy the first person view of the planes. The idea is that you would only have one strike group out at a time, but as many fighters as you want out at a time. These fighters add a bit of thinking and skill to it, do you want your fighters to be escorts, or do you defend your team with them. It would be the modern system mashed with the rts system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
680 posts
220 battles
1 hour ago, MrTurtle49 said:

Anyone who has played in a carrier knows what happens when you attack an enemy cv. They are the one class in the game that can properly defend themselves from air attack. If it is a brand new squadron, you likely will get a drop off, but you likely will lose all your planes or take heavy losses. If it is a damaged squadron, it is likely you may never get the chance to drop.

I think that if these fighters instead were stuck around the carrier 24/7, the player could move them around the map by pressing the m key, exactly like the rts fighters. Everything else stays the same, and once a squadron of fighters is destroyed, a consumable cooldown occurs, and then you get your squadron back.

I would propose that t4 gets one squadron with 3 consumables, t6 4 consumables, and the t8 and 10 would have two squadrons, only t8 gets 3 charges and t10 gets 4.

 

CVs have the best AA, rather than staying with a group they usually keep their AA bubbles solely for themselves.

 

Imagine the rage in RTS for ships with good AA failed to press into mid and let the red planes have a safe way into mid field.  The rage chat was toxic.   Now it's 100% acceptable that the best AA ships sit so far back which also maximizes travel time for planes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

Ships get deleted all the time, even more so now. If a carrier got deleted there were resounding cheers across the game.

So deleting is not new. Just more lethal and aggressive across the board thanks to the 10.0 update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
[_I_]
Members
64 posts

The whole discussion is pointless except as an exercise in rhetoric.

First, Lesta wipes their behinds with player suggestions.

Second, they will never, ever, do anything to bring back effective CV vs CV interplay, because the whole intent of the CV Rework was to have an easy PvE minigame with god-mode survivability increase "accessability" and dumb it down reduce the "skill gap". Mission accomplished.

Third, they made a metric fockton of money off of post-rework CV's. They're not going to slaughter a cash cow.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,634
[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,079 battles

Maybe if fighters were a controlled squadron like the strike aircraft WG could bring fighters back. The old issue with fighters was that a cv could shoot down all the planes and strike at the same time. If the current consumable fighters were actually a threat to planes and only needed to be placed somewhere a CV might again be able to stop the enemy cv from striking while dealing its own damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,045
[WPORT]
Members
8,104 posts
13,161 battles

:cap_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,489
[WKY04]
Members
3,879 posts
24,875 battles
9 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

It's dumb down and created an entirely new set of problems that are just as bad if not worse for every other ship class but CV's themselves. Instead of actually trying to fix them they made them more "accessible" or "approachable" or whatever word they used to try and justify it.

With the possibility that you wont get a strike eliminated and the deletion CV-CV snipe eliminated, Its actually two words:

Easier (unless you have vertigo, in which case it can present unpredictable difficulties)

Safer

Edited by Pugilistic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
661
[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

I agree as far as close air support go (marking where on the map you want to offer CAS) instead of having to fly there first (which is just silly). I also like the idea of allowing the CV driver to position his fighters around the CV itself as part of this and that the fighters as a result can be drawn away from the CV. Come to think of it - that's what happened to the IJN fighters during the Midway battle and as a result the USN dive bombers could bomb the IJN CV's more freely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,489
[WKY04]
Members
3,879 posts
24,875 battles
8 hours ago, Sui_Generis said:

The whole discussion is pointless except as an exercise in rhetoric.

First, Lesta wipes their behinds with player suggestions.

Second, they will never, ever, do anything to bring back effective CV vs CV interplay, because the whole intent of the CV Rework was to have an easy PvE minigame with god-mode survivability increase "accessability" and dumb it down reduce the "skill gap". Mission accomplished.

Third, they made a metric fockton of money off of post-rework CV's. They're not going to slaughter a cash cow.

 

Sadly true, but they will have to put up with the noise nontheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,262
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,726 posts
21,794 battles

A fighter squadron you move on the map is asking for RTS lite, which is probably never going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[-TRM-]
Members
22 posts
1,392 battles
7 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I agree as far as close air support go (marking where on the map you want to offer CAS) instead of having to fly there first (which is just silly). I also like the idea of allowing the CV driver to position his fighters around the CV itself as part of this and that the fighters as a result can be drawn away from the CV. Come to think of it - that's what happened to the IJN fighters during the Midway battle and as a result the USN dive bombers could bomb the IJN CV's more freely.

Tbh, thats kinda the effect I was hoping for. Effective cap, but it can only be at one or two places in the map, meaning the cv has to pick and choose

Edited by MrTurtle49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[-TRM-]
Members
22 posts
1,392 battles
15 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Ships get deleted all the time, even more so now. If a carrier got deleted there were resounding cheers across the game.

So deleting is not new. Just more lethal and aggressive across the board thanks to the 10.0 update.

They get deleted, just not all at once like seen by the video i linked. That probably shouldn't be in the game. also, I just realized you are in my clan lol

Edited by MrTurtle49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×