You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

British Heavy Cruisers? Lol.

21 comments in this topic

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles

Warshipwiki states, HMS Drake Tier 9 British Heavy Cruiser. The project of a warship designed in the late 1930s which was to be able to effectively counter the latest German heavy cruisers. Superiority in firepower was achieved through the use of 234 mm main guns. 

Ok, Yes the guns are more powerful but after playing this ship multiple times I feel it is as useless as any ship can be. Yes I know some players manage to have good games in it but I bet it is not the majority. From Hawkins on up these ships are just sad. Leander and Fiji can take more punishment I've noticed. Whenever sailing along even when enemy is 18 k away and more you just expect to suddenly be blown out of the water. I know I am ranting and I apologize but why World of Warships did this to these ships is beyond me. The Italians, stand up to shelling better.

Effectively counter German Heavy Cruisers? Put a tier 7 Yorck up against an Iowa, then put a Drake up against an Iowa, Same scenario, open water and no crappy islands to hide behind and see which ship can take more punishment. I tried it in the training room. Yorck wins hands down every time. Knowing why World of Warships developed the British heavy cruisers this way would be an interesting conversation but alas, I know that's not going to happen. If your one of the few that can have good games in the, Hats off to you. I also have had good games in the Surrey ,but tier 8 and up has been a disaster. A Cruiser was NOT designed, nor has it's role ever to be a Long range sniper on the J10 line and Island camping for me is not an option without smoke. I freely admit I am a VERY average player even after 10,000 games but man this shouldn't be this drastic. My Daughter has better games in British Cruisers but I have warned her that after the tier 7 Surrey things will change.

Wargaming, I am humbly requesting you to improve the armor and citadel of the British Heavy cruisers to at least match the German as Global Warship wiki stated they were originally designed to do. For me as an individual player, I see no sense in continuing to grind HMS Drake and getting the tier 10 as it has the same issues. Again, to the Ladies and Gents who have good games in them, My hat goes off to you and mush respect is directed to you.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[LWA]
Members
1,250 posts

The British heavy cruisers are a pure, pure, pure, support ship.  The Drake will not win the game, she will help win the game.  Stay back near you guns maximum gun range.  DO NOT BRAWL.  Configure the Drake with the upgrades that will extend the gun's range, and full rudder shift mods (both of them).  Play it like a russian light cruiser by firing at battleships at 14-15Km away preferably while kiting away back and forth using all of your guns.  I have dueled many a Thunderer in ranked using the Goliath (similar to Drake) and I usually win the "burn you down" contest as the Thunderer has a harder time landing the shells on me.  The Drake with both full rudder shift mods is hard to hit at 14-15km away and that is your best armor, while you burn them down.  Don't worry,  the armor on the Drake will amaze you every once but don't rely on it.  You will get to some "brawling" action when you are pushing with friends, and don't be afraid to use the AP on broadside enemies as those AP shells are punishing.

If you try to use the Drake as a dominator, you will be quick to port.  Just think of your playstyle with the Drake as being extremely annoying to the enemy.  Be like a leaf in the wind.....

• Cool 2

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles
Just now, db4100 said:

The British heavy cruisers are a pure, pure, pure, support ship.  The Drake will not win the game, she will help win the game.  Stay back near you guns maximum gun range.  DO NOT BRAWL.  Configure the Drake with the upgrades that will extend the gun's range, and full rudder shift mods (both of them).  Play it like a russian light cruiser by firing at battleships at 14-15Km away preferably while kiting away back and forth using all of your guns.  I have dueled many a Thunderer in ranked using the Goliath (similar to Drake) and I usually win the "burn you down" contest as the Thunderer has a harder time landing the shells on me.  The Drake with both full rudder shift mods is hard to hit at 14-15km away and that is your best armor, while you burn them down.  Don't worry,  the armor on the Drake will amaze you every once but don't rely on it.  You will get to some "brawling" action when you are pushing with friends, and don't be afraid to use the AP on broadside enemies as those AP shells are punishing.

If you try to use the Drake as a dominator, you will be quick to port.  Just think of your playstyle with the Drake as being extremely annoying to the enemy.  Be like a leaf in the wind.....

Ok, will give it a try. Thank you for the advice.

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles
7 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Drake is the 4th best win rate of all t-9 cruisers, and the 3rd best average XP.  She is the highest rated tech tree ship in both of these categories.

Drake - Warships detailed statistics - WoWS Stats & Numbers - NA (wows-numbers.com)

Yes I checked out the link. But do you think the new Capt's skills will lower her WR after a time?

[PISD]
Members
1,854 posts
6,142 battles
8 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Yes I checked out the link. But do you think the new Capt's skills will lower her WR after a time?

Not really. She did not get hit by any means by it, and the Dead Eue effect is mitigated by squishier bb to burn down.

as they say: range and do not brawl. Play her basically like a mini British BB, targeting ships that you HE will punish (keep in mind that you have enough HE pen to punish everything short of Kremlin).  Yes, your DPM may be low, but with the range mod and your base fire chance you will burn stuff like a French soldiers burning Arthur and his gang. 

i do use the stealth build with her tho: I prefer to be able to disengage and go dark to heal when need be. I also go with the HP buff for captain skill, since it also affect the rate of the heal.

overall, she is my favorite tech tree cruiser at this tier.

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles
5 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

Not really. She did not get hit by any means by it, and the Dead Eue effect is mitigated by squishier bb to burn down.

as they say: range and do not brawl. Play her basically like a mini British BB, targeting ships that you HE will punish (keep in mind that you have enough HE pen to punish everything short of Kremlin).  Yes, your DPM may be low, but with the range mod and your base fire chance you will burn stuff like a French soldiers burning Arthur and his gang. 

i do use the stealth build with her tho: I prefer to be able to disengage and go dark to heal when need be. I also go with the HP buff for captain skill, since it also affect the rate of the heal.

overall, she is my favorite tech tree cruiser at this tier.

Ok, Got her reworked. Going to try it now. Thank you.

[PISD]
Members
1,854 posts
6,142 battles
2 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Ok, Got her reworked. Going to try it now. Thank you.

To be fair, my impression of the British cruisers was:

Tier 5: what is this garbage

tier 6: an heavy cruiser with a heal? Sign me in!

tier 7: isn’t it the tier 6 one tier higher? Dammit.

tier 8: why am I not in a Baltimore?

tier 9: burn baby burn!

tier 10: -how many fire do you need?

-yes.

• Thanks 2

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

Few ships dictate the game as well as a good Drake.

I stopped counting how many times a Drake has distracted me and I end up spending the whole game hunting him. He goes dark at-will and always get to choose when or if to re-engage. Few ships are as frustrating to play against (if they are driven by a good player that is...). You won't win games as others have said, but you can draw attention away from your team and in the end win the game through distraction and going dark at will.

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles
16 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

To be fair, my impression of the British cruisers was:

Tier 5: what is this garbage

tier 6: an heavy cruiser with a heal? Sign me in!

tier 7: isn’t it the tier 6 one tier higher? Dammit.

tier 8: why am I not in a Baltimore?

tier 9: burn baby burn!

tier 10: -how many fire do you need?

-yes.

Ok. Took her out and did much turning, shoot and turn, etc etc. I survived the battle and we won. I, However only got 40 main battery hits using 80 percent HE but only set 1 fire. Chances of setting a fire on the ship is 25 percent. So that was strange. I also am thinking of exchanging the concealment for better rudder shift. She scrubs off a lot of speed when turning and still feels sluggish.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
234 posts
3,215 battles
4 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Ok. Took her out and did much turning, shoot and turn, etc etc. I survived the battle and we won. I, However only got 40 main battery hits using 80 percent HE but only set 1 fire. Chances of setting a fire on the ship is 25 percent. So that was strange. I also am thinking of exchanging the concealment for better rudder shift. She scrubs off a lot of speed when turning and still feels sluggish.

Enemy ships also have fire chance reduction, which counteracts the stock fire chance on your ships.

• Thanks 1

[TIGRB]
Members
939 posts
17,306 battles

This Forum has some really good people in it! Yes, we get thumbs down and boring tags but then a couple of players come along with good intentions and really make a difference. Thanks Karstodes and db4100 for your help and advice concerning my issues with HMS Drake. I did exchange concealment with rudder shift and wow, Great difference. Thanks guys for your help on how to play her.

Screenshot (129).png

Screenshot (130).png

Screenshot (131).png

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,214 posts
12,792 battles
47 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

Few ships dictate the game as well as a good Drake.

I stopped counting how many times a Drake has distracted me and I end up spending the whole game hunting him. He goes dark at-will and always get to choose when or if to re-engage. Few ships are as frustrating to play against (if they are driven by a good player that is...). You won't win games as others have said, but you can draw attention away from your team and in the end win the game through distraction and going dark at will.

The beauty of Drake, is that her long reload forces her to go dark between salvo's, whereas higher RoF cruiser players are too busy maximizing their dpm to disappear at will, or at that critical "right" time that defines cruiser battles. 

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles
33 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

The beauty of Drake, is that her long reload forces her to go dark between salvo's, whereas higher RoF cruiser players are too busy maximizing their dpm to disappear at will, or at that critical "right" time that defines cruiser battles. 

Definitely plays into it.

Beta Testers
914 posts
14,467 battles
32 minutes ago, Suzutsuki_Kai said:

tldr play them like ijn cruisers

Except I find them tougher

[XXX]
Members
659 posts
1,625 battles
15 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Except I find them tougher

But they do seem to eat Citadel pens from the weirdest angles...mind you I tend to find that with most cruisers that aren't RU.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles

Devonshire is one of my favourite cruisers in the game. Exeter is also right up there.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles
4 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Drake is the 4th best win rate of all t-9 cruisers, and the 3rd best average XP.  She is the highest rated tech tree ship in both of these categories.

Drake - Warships detailed statistics - WoWS Stats & Numbers - NA (wows-numbers.com)

Those stats are kind of old because so much of the data is stacked from the Pre-Skill Rebork days.  But it did get me curious to see how Drake is doing compared to other Tier IX Cruisers, at least as far as WR% & Dmg goes.  I'll use last recorded week for NA server as a pulse check.  We haven't had the Skill Rebork long enough to get a quarter's worth of data.

Battles Played / WR% / Damage Average

CA Brindisi 4171 / 48.91% / 59.4k

CA Ibuki 4302 / 48.19% / 50.8k

CA Roon 5584 / 47.87% / 53.7k

CA Saint-Louis 1846 / 50.2% / 58.5k (Small sample size of battles, a bit inflated IMO)

CL Neptune 5520 / 47.79% / 48.3k

CA Drake 2774 / 50.3% / 60.1k

CL Dmitri Donskoi 3621 / 50.4% / 49.9k

CA Riga 5749 / 49.5% / 49.6k

CA Buffalo 6370 / 45.8% / 42.2k (yeesh this is horrible)

CL Seattle 5404 / 47.6% / 40.8k (ugh)

Drake hasn't seen all that much action, so the WR% is inflated a bit, just like it is on Saint-Louis.  I'd say if S-L & Drake were played more, those WR% and Dmg Avg would come down some.

I'd say Brindisi is the best Damage Dealer of the lot.

But for winning, I'd say Riga is.

I put more stock into these two ships' stats because they've seen a lot more action than S-L & Drake, and their numbers are still pretty good.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles
4 hours ago, db4100 said:

I'd agree with this.

RNCAs are the complete opposite of their RNCL counterparts.  RNCLs play pretty close to the DD and Cap action.  They have the stealth, smoke for it.  Not to mention if they tried to stay back, their shells are much too floaty for such sort of work.  The RNCAs don't have that agility and stealth, nor smoke their RNCL cousins have.  But if they stay back they got a better chance.  It's just odd that WG gave a number of the RNCAs very mediocre gun ranges.  Fortunately for Drake and Goliath, they got Upgrade Slot 6 access, and they can get GFCS2 to give much needed gun range buff.  Drake goes from 15.9km to 18.4km.  15.9km gun range for a Tier IX Cruiser in today's game to me sounds like suicide.  Hell, Drake even has Spotting Aircraft access.

Another reason RNCAs should not brawl is that people can get a cleaner view of the tall Citadels these ships generally have.  Drake has a BIG Citadel.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,897 posts
9,845 battles

My last Drake game tonight was 145k damage with 18 fires and two kills. I play the RN CAs a bit like I play French CAs, open-water kiting until the numbers have thinned out and taxing BB DCP.