You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Goodnight sweet prince

26 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,021 battles

The captain rework has broken one of my favorite ships in the game.

UVUEaOe.jpg

With the removal of AFT her maximum range went from almost 14 km to just over 11 km. Deservedly so, one might argue, as AFT Bogatyr was an unfair monster. I fully admit that. The removal of AFT made her more fair, undeniably so. But I'll miss AFT 130mm Boggy B all the same.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
Just now, Lert said:

UVUEaOe.jpg

With the removal of AFT her maximum range went from almost 14 km to just over 11 km. Deservedly so, one might argue, as AFT Bogatyr was an unfair monster. I fully admit that. The removal of AFT made her more fair, undeniably so. But I'll miss AFT 130mm Boggy B all the same.

Add the Flint to the list... I play the game to have a fair chance/sake... Not to be suicidal...

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,021 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Add the Flint to the list... I play the game to have a fair chance/sake... Not to be suicidal...

Flint's been lamented enough, in many threads. Deservedly so. But I don't remember anyone lamenting Bogatyr before.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Krasny Krym, with AFT and BFT, was a buzzsaw, IMO.

The rebork took a hammer to the ship.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Flint's been lamented enough, in many threads. Deservedly so. But I don't remember anyone lamenting Bogatyr before.

A reflection of the sad state of affairs...

You're correct in your observations...

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles

It's true you can't abuse the range anymore but heavy HE + TGG is a nice DPM boost.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
34 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's because The Bog has gotten away with being so broken for all these years yet nobody ever mentions it.  People do their low tier grind and they leave ASAP to go to following tiers.  Bogatyr for the majority of people would never shine, because she only becomes OP if someone went back, researched her modules, and gave her a high points captain.  Only then did she break her tier.  The typical player grinding the RU Cruiser Line will have a low points captain and would leave the ship as soon as Tier IV was eligible.

But yes... The Bog was hilarious in her tier if you give her a build and do "The Works" in the old system.  Battleship, DD, Cruiser, it didn't matter.  They were all meat on the table.

I remember when the RNCL Line went Live, I did a bunch of Bogatyr games to give them a proper "welcome" and I just rained HE Citadeling hits from long range on any I saw LOL

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles
50 minutes ago, Lert said:

UVUEaOe.jpg

Makes staying with the 6" guns for their hitting harder more viable.

45 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah, it was almost a meme with how you could reach out and go burn baby burn.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,021 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Makes staying with the 6" guns for their hitting harder more viable.

Yup.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
450 posts
6,256 battles

I remember playing my Oleg years ago and having a lot of fun with it, with a 19pt captain and IFHE it was just brutal. I don't know if it needed IFHE or not, most likely no, but eh.

Fun tiers.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,021 battles
9 minutes ago, Torenico said:

I remember playing my Oleg years ago and having a lot of fun with it, with a 19pt captain and IFHE it was just brutal.

Oleg has 152mm guns. Upgraded Bogatyr had 130mm guns, which got additional range with AFT, bringing it to almost 14km. It was just nasty. You had just enough reach and fire chance to hurt anything and just enough speed and agility to remain mostly safe from return fire.

[IMP]
450 posts
6,256 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Oleg has 152mm guns. Upgraded Bogatyr had 130mm guns, which got additional range with AFT, bringing it to almost 14km. It was just nasty. You had just enough reach and fire chance to hurt anything and just enough speed and agility to remain mostly safe from return fire.

You are correct. I totally forgot Oleg is basically a premium stock Bogatyr. Both have tremendous AA, though :cap_rambo:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

What made Bog especially dangerous against BBs in low tier was her old range, ROF, coupled with the terrible gun accuracy of Battleships there.  There was almost nothing a BB in Low Tier can do.  The only BB gun threat there is the exceptionally rare and accurate Tier IV Imperator Nikolai.  Every other BB in Low Tier makes Roma look like Yamato in terms of accuracy.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,491 posts
22,887 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

UVUEaOe.jpg

All the fun ships that required aft are port queens now....

Mainz is the new op Lt cruiser.

[SALVO]
Members
26,134 posts
29,152 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Not sure that I'd go quite that far with the Krasny Krym to call her a buzzsaw.  But taking AFT and BFT made up quite a bit for her squishiness and slow speed making her reasonably playable, particularly in coop.

Members
308 posts
5,964 battles

They ruined the Hosho for me after they nerfed her hard!

I admit she was once the best CV at T4, now they made her the worst T4 CV.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
13 hours ago, JCC45 said:

tumblr_p31m67S2Kg1vwft81o1_1280.gif

Yeah, this. Lert might be sad, but the beginners just out of protected matchmaking are going to be very grateful for that nerf.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,447 posts
8,165 battles

For me, my most lamented nerfs of the rework are my secondary build non-German ships T7 and higher, stuff like Yamato, Shikishima, Nagato, Amagi, Republique, and Jean Bart (plus others). Sure I still run a secondary build on them, but they can't hit hardly anything outside of suicide range. On the flipside, they did somehow manage to make my dream of a viable secondary build Mutsu possible, so I guess there is that.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,920 battles

Hey, @Lert, I'm right there with you in praise of the Bogatyr.  And yes, she lost a LOT to the captain skills rework.  HOWEVER...

For me, most of the joy of Bogatyr ended, and I sadly sent her to my mothball fleet, after the CV rework.  A T3 ship with not one single AA gun just wasn't a lot of fun for me in games with multiple CVs.  The end for me came when I took her out one early morning.  You know, those games where you would sometimes get battles with reduced numbers of ships.  Well, I loaded into a battle with 3 CVs per side (back when that was still a thing), and only SIX total ships per side.  Half the ships in the game were CVs.  Torpedoed, rocketed, and bombed constantly.  I never fired my guns.  No fun whatsoever.

It's a shame.  Bogey and I had a lot of fun times.  But I will never again go into a game on a ship that doesn't have at least one AA gun.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,021 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, this. Lert might be sad, but the beginners just out of protected matchmaking are going to be very grateful for that nerf.

Yeah no denying, a Bogatyr nerf was long overdue.

[GLF]
Members
1,151 posts
18,148 battles

I too am saddened by the killing of bogatyr.   Theres at least a hope they'll increase the base range in the future.  I remember they did it for Phoenix way back as well as some of the other low tier cruisers that were affected by aft being removed from 150mm+... granted that was back during the old regime where fun was still the goal,  lol.  

19 hours ago, Lert said:

But I'll miss AFT 130mm Boggy B all the same.

You raise a good one here,   we really need Bogatyr B available during Black friday next year though.  I'd still buy it. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[GC]
Alpha Tester
916 posts
4,361 battles

Wow, I hadn't played Bogatyr in so long I forgot how much of a beast it was, and how badly it was gonna get hammered by the skill rework. Svietlana, too.

--Helms

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,809 battles
On 3/2/2021 at 5:11 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

ThEy ArE NoT SaFe YeTnikolai.thumb.png.ed032205f16d21a4a12df0ab39731387.png