You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ole_seabee

Should i even bother with silver in ranked?

25 comments in this topic

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
173 posts
16,902 battles

Ok first of all to all the ones who just go on stats ... im not that good. I started alone for a long time and pulled myself up mostly alone at first. Having said that i believe i play a very decent dd and many would like to have me on their team?

I have no problem ranking out in bronze, and i am sure i could qualify for silver. As i am not real competitive should i push myself to play up to improve or just stay in bronze where i maybe fit better. Im  not interested in the rewards as i am retired but interested in game play and of coarse i dont like cv at all . Thanks for any constructive criticism.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,378 posts
17,047 battles

Why would you stop when you can improve your game play more???

[BUOY]
Members
1,219 posts
16,280 battles
1 minute ago, ole_seabee said:

Ok first of all to all the ones who just go on stats ... im not that good. I started alone for a long time and pulled myself up mostly alone at first. Having said that i believe i play a very decent dd and many would like to have me on their team?

I have no problem ranking out in bronze, and i am sure i could qualify for silver. As i am not real competitive should i push myself to play up to improve or just stay in bronze where i maybe fit better. Im  not interested in the rewards as i am retired but interested in game play and of coarse i dont like cv at all . Thanks for any constructive criticism.

If you're not 'gotta have it NOW' I'd definitely say it's it's a good / great idea to stay in bronze for a few rounds or for the entire season. You can always go for Silver later on if you become tired of Bronze.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,939 posts
18,369 battles

It’s up to you really. If you like the Rank meta, why not. If you grind to a halt and it frustrates you, maybe cash in your chips and do something else.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,877 posts
14,907 battles
19 minutes ago, ole_seabee said:

If you will have no problem ranking out in Bronze, do it, then qualify into Silver.

You can then farm wins in Silver at your own pace, and match what you would get by ranking out in Bronze. 

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
173 posts
16,902 battles

Well im concerned if i dont like silver for what ever reason can i go back to bronze?

[A-I-M]
Members
3,877 posts
14,907 battles
24 minutes ago, ole_seabee said:

Well im concerned if i dont like silver for what ever reason can i go back to bronze?

No, you can’t. But, if you take simply a “play to win” mentality into silver, as opposed to “play to rank out,” you’ll actually be pretty happy, and to your teammates, “play to win” is all they need from you.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Correct sentence fragments

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles

Only if you have thoughts of ranking out in Gold. Otherwise just milk the Bronze awards.

[SGSS]
Members
5,788 posts
1 hour ago, ole_seabee said:

If you want the steel and gold then yes go silver.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
455 posts
6,257 battles

Silver will give you a few more rewards at the expense of playing alongside tier X ships, which I don't think it's worth it these days. As for myself, I'm going to stay on Bronze to grind out Udaloi (Which I enjoy quite a bit) and regrind Kitakaze for the RB points, it's a much healthier environment than Silver (let alone gold, ugh).

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,549 battles

I play to win, but I also use it to grind those remaining T9s > T10s that I've never bothered with yet.  Smaller teams makes a more interesting game... Better rewards than co-op, less frustrating than randoms.

B

[USCG]
Members
753 posts
22,873 battles

The only reason I’m heading to silver is the chance to get more steel and gold than in bronze. No desire to try to rank out. 

[KOTSB]
Members
217 posts
11,129 battles

My preference in ranked is the lower tier game play so I'm sticking with Bronze league. T10 just are not fun to play.

Members
865 posts

I thought that last season was pretty fun through Silver. I didn't find Gold to be very fun, mostly because I play DD and most matches featured at least one red Smaland. I tried really hard to rank out of Gold, but lost interest pretty quickly.

There's almost no difference in rewards between Bronze, Silver, and Gold. If you aren't super confident in your skills, consider sticking to Bronze or Silver. It will definitely be a less frustrating experience.

Beta Testers
912 posts
14,448 battles
1 hour ago, OilyBusiness said:

My preference in ranked is the lower tier game play so I'm sticking with Bronze league. T10 just are not fun to play.

Very much this. T10 game play is very tedious now with all the Deadeye Thunderers et al.

Would love to play a ranked where Bronze was T6-7, Silver T7-8 and Gold T9-10

[5D8]
Members
195 posts
20,550 battles

if for no other reasons the battles are quicker, and good to get xp to boost capts to 21. especially if you already have a 21 to use.

[CAP]
Members
406 posts
17,163 battles
7 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

The only reason I’m heading to silver is the chance to get more steel and gold than in bronze. No desire to try to rank out. 

The rewards section shows the same 200 steel (200x3 for 9 wins) and 200 dubs for all 3 leagues.  I'm I missing something about silver giving more than bronze?

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

I pretty much forget the silver and gold this season. The sprints are twice as long (About two weeks now) and the rewards issued is half what they were last season weekly. Gold was a land of snobbish people who were full of themselves. Bronze was a lot of fun then. Silver was a good place to be when you bring out the T10 is what I do best in competition. Ranking out is less important.

Ranked itself is broken. You will find at the end of the sprint everyone is busted back to rank 10 of whatever section they are in, Gold, Silver and bronze. I am 7 Bronze having stopped ranked play about 6 days ago after about 70+ straight games trying to get into rank 5 etc. win lose many win lose many more win lose lose lose. F That. Very stupid waste of precious flags etc. Those go to operations now where the income is way better.

Clan battle is not too bad, I managed two so far. Two nights ago I merc'ed. Its the same format as ranked. But with way better rewards. The problem is we win a Ranked got some flags etc. Then move to another squad for merc. Sit for three more hours waiting for that clan to assemble 7. I quit for the night. be damned if I sit anymore nights at the computer waiting to go into a CB. So those rewards might as well be on the moon. F that.

The qualifications between bronze, silver and gold is handled with mass game play. Put up 20 DD's in T8,9 and 10 and roll all of them YOLO to sink something, get sunk and maybe cap. By the time all those DD's come out of battle in a hour or less those 20 games will come up with 5 victories to break the qual barrier and go into Silver etc. I should not have to do stupid stuff like that for the sake of breaking a system designed to break you, the gamer with excessive [edited] losses for weeks.

Everyone says get good, get skill etc. F that. Thats just the approved narrative. Ive had battles in which I sunk many humans in various ways, some listed as a much higher group rank than myself. Sink 2, 3 or whatever. Its all there in my stats. Krakens are a real possibility. Maybe even two.

I do ranked really simply. In Bronze. Grind the 12 victories. And then stop. Wait until next sprint two week time to open. Grind another 12 victories and then stop. Eventually in about a month the ranked is finished and I have probably about 1800-2400 steel out of all that. The doubleloons go straight to either FXP or reserve slots. Ive been adding 4 slots every two weeks. I have enough reserve to meet my entire fleet of commanders plus 50% more against future add ons. Normally I never worry about reserve capacity until the update 10.0 rework forced me to clear all of my ships and then pick the best commanders to certain ships and work down. That was when I discovered I did not have enough new reserve slots. So that took a few thousand doubleloons to build. WTG wg....

The cash spending has essentially stopped. I am a whale. Spending thousands annually. Now I might buy a small number of flags per month and grind in operations or Coop. The rest of it is broken and needs reworking again or restoring back to what it was before. Which will never happen. SO upgrading computer with two 3080 cards and additional storage etc for the new games coming out by other publishers later this year. Moving a little bit away from Wows. Just like I did with WOT years ago. But not before I test my theory that your russian game ships are awesome and with 21 point commanders restore the lost economy.

[USCG]
Members
753 posts
22,873 battles
3 hours ago, Jitta77 said:

The rewards section shows the same 200 steel (200x3 for 9 wins) and 200 dubs for all 3 leagues.  I'm I missing something about silver giving more than bronze?

Make sure you’re looking at the rewards for the silver. You can earn an extra 200 steel (4 x 200) and an extra 200 dubs (2 x 200). Not much but it’s something...

[A-I-M]
Members
3,877 posts
14,907 battles
4 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

Make sure you’re looking at the rewards for the silver. You can earn an extra 200 steel (4 x 200) and an extra 200 dubs (2 x 200). Not much but it’s something...

But what is really nice about it (if you can cross over into Silver) is that, in Silver, you can match the Steel reward that you would get from ranking out in Bronze, just by picking up wins in Silver. And with two weeks per sprint, you can get the max rewards at your own pace, stress-free.

[FORM]
Members
310 posts
2,200 battles
23 hours ago, ole_seabee said:

The only reason I'd suggest staying at bronze is if you want to play the lower tier ships. Otherwise the rewards for the effort are greater in Silver, and though the competition might be a bit higher, especially in the next round as the folks who want to get into gold (and aren't yet because they couldn't get there,) will be playing in Silver.

[SGSS]
Members
5,788 posts
On 3/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, ObiphanKenobi said:

Why would you stop when you can improve your game play more???

How does the rewards work?

If I stayed in Bronze would the rewards have reset?

[DVYJC]
Members
3,896 posts
9,821 battles
46 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Yes you would have been able to do the Bronze League rewards again. You have to finish the qualifiers to advance to the next league, otherwise you'll start the next sprint in the season at the same league you were in during the prior one.

A rule of thumb is that hitting the maximum win rewards in one league will give more or less the same rewards in steel and doubloons as ranking out in the previous league. So a linear increase in rewards. But the difficulty in ranking out grows multiplicatively due to the higher number of stars needed in each successive league and the decreased number of irrevocable ranks.

So farming wins in Silver League but not ranking out will give the same rewards as ranking out in Bronze League, and farming wins in Gold League but not ranking out will give the same rewards as ranking out in Silver.

This isn't quite true, as there are differences in the numbers of crates and camos you get, but in terms of steel and doubloons I am pretty sure that's how it works.

[TIMT]
Members
1,404 posts
4,940 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Progress and rewards reset with every sprint. If you did not finish quals for the next league in a sprint, you will start the next sprint in your current league with all rewards etc. available, again.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, ole_seabee said:

You could stay in bronze for the next sprint, but might as well go for silver. Unfortunately, WG has not implemented any voluntary or involuntary mechanism to go down in leagues so you would have to stay in silver for the entire season.

One thing to remember is, that in the next sprint all of the people who are shooting for gold league are also in silver. So it might be a bit more heterogeneous in terms of skill etc. in the upcoming sprint than in the ones after that. Last season I found silver to be quite neat in later sprints in that it was a relatively consistent meta and very few purples or potatoes spamming games to get to rank out. If you want to learn how to learn how to get better at the game, this might be something you might be interested in.

Another piece of advice to avoid high salt levels: Don't try to rank out or win every game. There will be a lot of matches where you can't win, so I usually just treat it was randoms with better rewards. The nice thing about 7v7 is that you have a better chance of actually carrying a game, so I sometimes just try different things/tactics and see what works.