You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Big_Ape

Frustrated

32 comments in this topic

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles

Hello I need some good advice on how to get better at this game I don't care if you look at my stats but bear in mind I reset my account for a reason.

I have watched countless videos of CC and other players good players how they play the game, I tried to mimic what they do but it doesn't work for me why I have no idea All I know is that I'm missing something or I'm not dumb to the game.

Right now I'm on my phone if y'all want replays of my games I will be glad to put it here but I can't do it right now but I'm really getting desperate cuz I know I'm not the best at the game but I know I can get better I just don't understand what I need to do to do that.

Any good sound advise not no smart aleck one would be greatly appreciated I'm about to give up. Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I guess I also need to stay that I only play battleships and cruisers Nations and mainly play are German and Russian some IJN some French mainly battleships

Edited by Big_Ape
Needed to add more to my comments

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,801 posts
12,586 battles

Different players will undoubtedly find different play styles. There’s a rough style that will give players decent improvements, but beyond that it starts to become much muddier.

I think, instead of saying something general like “I want to be better” it would be easier to focus on a few specific categories of improved gameplay. These are examples:

I want to do more damage

I want to live longer during the game

I want to die less

I survive too long but don’t have as much of an impact on the game

I am out of position

etc.

What do you specifically want to address? And with what classes? 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles

@Lord_Zath does a replay analysis stream every Sunday afternoon. If you send him in a replay he will look at your gameplay and break down what you're doing wrong and how to do it right instead, which might help you more than trying to copy God-tier players with stratospheric win-rates who've been playing this game since it was in the cradle.

He also has a YouTube channel going back years. There are quite a lot of my replays on there; you can watch him picking out all the mistakes I was making when I thought I was doing brilliantly. Bearing in mind that many of the ships and some of the gameplay have changed markedly since some of those vids were made, there might be something in there to help you with a specific ship. I've seen players whose first submission to him were absolute effing garbage but whose gameplay took off like a rocket. I owe him a lot.

Finally, if you're feeling down about your winrate but still want to play to get things done, dip into co-op for a bit, get some wins under your belt, and cheer yourself up that way.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
3,092 posts
7,076 battles

OK problem right now is that your "true" stats are burried under the amount of T4 games played.   I assume a fair number of those battles were under the noob protection. 

One very important stat is survival rate which often doesn't get shown as a ship specific stat and your T4 games are burrying that info.     So I have to make some assumptions based kill / death ratios of higher tier ships.  What You need to know though is that you are on the right road by simply admitting that you aren't great and that you want to get better. 

A rough outline how I think you should prioritize your efforts should be as follows: 

1. Learn how to survive more often. 

2. Learn how to farm damage

3. Learn how to kill. 

4. Learn how kill the right targets. 

For 1. I always suggest this guide:  https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9vgr3i/a_guide_how_to_get_good_at_world_of_warships/

Learning how to survive and not die is the biggest first step.  It is the foundation which will allow you to build the entire rest of your gameplay on. 

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Lord_Zath does a replay analysis stream every Sunday afternoon. If you send him in a replay he will look at your gameplay and break down what you're doing wrong and how to do it right instead, which might help you more than trying to copy God-tier players with stratospheric win-rates who've been playing this game since it was in the cradle.

He also has a YouTube channel going back years. There are quite a lot of my replays on there; you can watch him picking out all the mistakes I was making when I thought I was doing brilliantly. Bearing in mind that many of the ships and some of the gameplay have changed markedly since some of those vids were made, there might be something in there to help you with a specific ship. I've seen players whose first submission to him were absolute effing garbage but whose gameplay took off like a rocket. I owe him a lot.

Finally, if you're feeling down about your winrate but still want to play to get things done, dip into co-op for a bit, get some wins under your belt, and cheer yourself up that way.

The ones I've watched don't do that because I've asked.

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
4 minutes ago, eviltane said:

OK problem right now is that your "true" stats are burried under the amount of T4 games played.   I assume a fair number of those battles were under the noob protection. 

One very important stat is survival rate which often doesn't get shown as a ship specific stat and your T4 games are burrying that info.     So I have to make some assumptions based kill / death ratios of higher tier ships.  What You need to know though is that you are on the right road by simply admitting that you aren't great and that you want to get better. 

A rough outline how I think you should prioritize your efforts should be as follows: 

1. Learn how to survive more often. 

2. Learn how to farm damage

3. Learn how to kill. 

4. Learn how kill the right targets. 

For 1. I always suggest this guide:  https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9vgr3i/a_guide_how_to_get_good_at_world_of_warships/

Learning how to survive and not die is the biggest first step.  It is the foundation which will allow you to build the entire rest of your gameplay on. 

You are right I want to do more damage I do want to last longer in games I would like to learn everything I need to do to be good in this game

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The ones I've watched don't help players.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
Just now, Big_Ape said:

Which ones? Maybe you need to broaden your watching a bit.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
Just now, Big_Ape said:

2 replies like this... dude.. let it go, the guys above suggested someone who very well might help you, i think his only ask is you subscribe to his channel or something like that

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which ones? Maybe you need to broaden your watching a bit.

Maltese Knight some cc but I know they don't help players like that not one-on-one flambass 

[GGWP]
Members
7,353 posts
17,398 battles
37 minutes ago, Big_Ape said:

Hello I need some good advice on how to get better at this game I don't care if you look at my stats but bear in mind I reset my account for a reason.

I have watched countless videos of CC and other players good players how they play the game, I tried to mimic what they do but it doesn't work for me why I have no idea All I know is that I'm missing something or I'm not dumb to the game.

Right now I'm on my phone if y'all want replays of my games I will be glad to put it here but I can't do it right now but I'm really getting desperate cuz I know I'm not the best at the game but I know I can get better I just don't understand what I need to do to do that.

Any good sound advise not no smart aleck one would be greatly appreciated I'm about to give up. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Members
135 posts
17,775 battles
23 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

Any good sound advise not no smart aleck one would be greatly appreciated I'm about to give up. Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I guess I also need to stay that I only play battleships and cruisers Nations and mainly play are German and Russian some IJN some French mainly battleships

1C9350C4-B181-4E6D-AA9F-B791422878FD.jpeg

• Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,336 posts
19,348 battles
On 3/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, Big_Ape said:

It took me many THOUSANDS of games and a year or two to become decent and another couple of years to refine my skills to the point I feel confident in any situation.  

Watching other good players "play" is good.  Watch and learning is good.  But keep in mind that if you're just beginning, you're the metaphorical kid watching pros play.  Sure...that kid...if he watches, learns...and plays...can significantly improve over time and eventually reach a refined level of play, even becoming a pro...or perhaps a level close to pro that one is comfortable playing.

So continue watching and learning.

But also play.  And after every match, be retrospective on yourself.  What worked for you?  What didn't work?  How can you make the good stuff better, and most importantly, how can you fix what didn't work?  In the beginning, you're going to  have a lot of "That didn't work" to figure out.  I used to get smacked by torps from unseen DDs.  Citadeled by BBs.  Yada yada.  Now, that is mostly a thing of the past.  But it took a LONG time to figure it all out.  But even today...five years in....and feeling really good...I still occasionally get smacked down because I go stupid.  So the retrospection never stops.

One thing about WOWS is it's a LOT MORE than pew pew pew.  There is TREMENDOUS amount of subtle strategy that goes into the play...early maneuvering...situational awareness strategies.  Getting a feel for what kind of team you have.  Watching the engagements...changing strategy...taking advantage of a enemy weakness...thwarting an enemy's move.  It's hard to show that in videos.

For example...a couple of days ago I was pushing in my Biz...had terrain cover...and was spotted.  I was like wth?  Look at minimap...there was only one direction a ship could be (that early in the game) and spot me...a flanking DD.  He had to be at or inside my spot rings.  The enemy was running three DDs...two had been spotted...one (the Asashio) had not been spotted.  OK, I've got an Asashio on my flank..and he's spotted me..and had me spotted for several seconds.  I get a Priority Target blip, and realize he's targeted me and probably already launched torps.  As I figure out my counter strategy, I pop my hydro, and ping the boxes on the minnmap to let the team know we've got a ship in those boxes (a good player will know it's Asashio).  I then decide my best objective is to drive a bit deeper on the push than I had originally planned, and then turn away at a point where there is some terrain that would block any torps he had launched.  I avoided all the torps.

Now...think about all those things above....none of which involve firing any guns or targeting any enemy ship. I watched my detection and realized the direction based on terrain.  I noted my range rings to get a feel for depth.  I knew there was an Asashio on the team (pay ATTENTION to the MM screen before game begins!!!), I had already tracked the detection of the only two other DDs on the enemy team (pay ATTENTION to the MM screen before the game), and track the key threats as the game unfolds...the two DDs in question where spotted by CV aircraft on the other flank just within my visual so I could note their name.  I knew that given the dynamics of the map (as well as playing Asashio myself at times), and the fact all DDs seldom flank one direction (but don't always assume that) that this had to be an enemy Asashio.  Although I can't rely on the PT trick...many DD drivers still cycle between guns and torps...and can be used as a tip off that they're firing torps (albeit, if you play the game within the game, some DD players do this just to SEE what the BB captain does before firing torps...but that an even deeper level).

There is simply no way a new player is going to be able to do all of what I've done above.  I can tell you about all the things I did.   But it's taken me years to get to the level of SA where the above is pure natural instinct.  A new player simply can't do that.  A new player can learn about the tricks.  But the ability to apply them all at the same time, in a comfortable way....won't happen.   I didn't mention it, but while I was doing all that not firing stuff...I was also actively engaged in shooting at enemy ships.  A severe and deep amount of multi-task.  It's what makes WOWS fun!!!!!

So....there are going to be the mechanics of the game....which is what you learn first.  And watching videos can help.  But the deeper game.  The instinctive situational awareness.  The move and counter move...those come with years of play...and getting your butt kicked a lot.  That example above....in my first year of play...I'd eaten a broadside full of torps wondering what happened and be out of the game real quick.  Nothing really to do with pew pew pew skill, or basic mechanics.  Everything to do with LOTS of play...LOTS of defeats (or deaths)...retrospection...rinse and repeat.

And all said above...I still...sometimes get a broadside full of torps.

And I'm not a Pro...just a very good amateur that doesn't mind mixing it up with those who are.

• Cool 4

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
20 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It took me many THOUSANDS of games and a year or two to become decent and another couple of years to refine my skills to the point I feel confident in any situation.  

Watching other good players "play" is good.  Watch and learning is good.  But keep in mind that if you're just beginning, you're the metaphorical kid watching pros play.  Sure...that kid...if he watches, learns...and plays...can significantly improve over time and eventually reach a refined level of play, even becoming a pro...or perhaps a level close to pro that one is comfortable playing.

So continue watching and learning.

But also play.  And after every match, be retrospective on yourself.  What worked for you?  What didn't work?  How can you make the good stuff better, and most importantly, how can you fix what didn't work?  In the beginning, you're going to  have a lot of "That didn't work" to figure out.  I used to get smacked by torps from unseen DDs.  Citadeled by BBs.  Yada yada.  Now, that is mostly a thing of the past.  But it took a LONG time to figure it all out.  But even today...five years in....and feeling really good...I still occasionally get smacked down because I go stupid.  So the retrospection never stops.

One thing about WOWS is it's a LOT MORE than pew pew pew.  There is TREMENDOUS amount of subtle strategy that goes into the play...early maneuvering...situational awareness strategies.  Getting a feel for what kind of team you have.  Watching the engagements...changing strategy...taking advantage of a enemy weakness...thwarting an enemy's move.  It's hard to show that in videos.

For example...a couple of days ago I was pushing in my Biz...had terrain cover...and was spotted.  I was like wth?  Look at minimap...there was only one direction a ship could be (that early in the game) and spot me...a flanking DD.  He had to be at or inside my spot rings.  The enemy was running three DDs...two had been spotted...one (the Asashio) had not been spotted.  OK, I've got an Asashio on my flank..and he's spotted me..and had me spotted for several seconds.  I get a Priority Target blip, and realize he's targeted me and probably already launched torps.  As I figure out my counter strategy, I pop my hydro, and ping the boxes on the minnmap to let the team know we've got a ship in those boxes (a good player will know it's Asashio).  I then decide my best objective is to drive a bit deeper on the push than I had originally planned, and then turn away at a point where there is some terrain that would block any torps he had launched.  I avoided all the torps.

Now...think about all those things above....none of which involve firing any guns or targeting any enemy ship. I watched my detection and realized the direction based on terrain.  I noted my range rings to get a feel for depth.  I knew there was an Asashio on the team (pay ATTENTION to the MM screen before game begins!!!), I had already tracked the detection of the only two other DDs on the enemy team (pay ATTENTION to the MM screen before the game), and track the key threats as the game unfolds...the two DDs in question where spotted by CV aircraft on the other flank just within my visual so I could note their name.  I knew that given the dynamics of the map (as well as playing Asashio myself at times), and the fact all DDs seldom flank one direction (but don't always assume that) that this had to be an enemy Asashio.  Although I can't rely on the PT trick...many DD drivers still cycle between guns and torps...and can be used as a tip off that they're firing torps (albeit, if you play the game within the game, some DD players do this just to SEE what the BB captain does before firing torps...but that an even deeper level).

There is simply no way a new player is going to be able to do all of what I've done above.  I can tell you about all the things I did.   But it's taken me years to get to the level of SA where the above is pure natural instinct.  A new player simply can't do that.  A new player can learn about the tricks.  But the ability to apply them all at the same time, in a comfortable way....won't happen.   I didn't mention it, but while I was doing all that not firing stuff...I was also actively engaged in shooting at enemy ships.  A severe and deep amount of multi-task.  It's what makes WOWS fun!!!!!

So....there are going to be the mechanics of the game....which is what you learn first.  And watching videos can help.  But the deeper game.  The instinctive situational awareness.  The move and counter move...those come with years of play...and getting your butt kicked a lot.  That example above....in my first year of play...I'd eaten a broadside full of torps wondering what happened and be out of the game real quick.  Nothing really to do with pew pew pew skill, or basic mechanics.  Everything to do with LOTS of play...LOTS of defeats (or deaths)...retrospection...rinse and repeat.

And all said above...I still...sometimes get a broadside full of torps.

And I'm not a Pro...just a very good amateur that doesn't mind mixing it up with those who are.

Not sure if I have mentioned it above but the stats I have now are truly accurate I had it reset thinking I was a better player than what I once was because actually I was sitting at 45% win rate.

Come to find out I'm still that idiot player, now I only play battleships and cruisers but I can say I do know a little bit of my problem and that situation awareness is one, positioning is the other aiming for some odd reason I have to learn all over again I don't know what has changed about that.

I have watched countless videos of other people play trying to mimic what they do doesn't work because I'm trying to learn patience because I'm more of a get in your face type of player and hurry up and get this done.

Yes I know it doesn't work like that not this game but sometimes I can hold back and I do better but then I play another match to where I see the enemy team getting ready to win the game and then I start pushing then I wind up getting focus fired, so I probably played this game as long as you have and still struggling.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,274 posts
9,988 battles
On 3/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, Big_Ape said:

How many games did you have before you reset?

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles
On 3/1/2021 at 6:21 AM, Big_Ape said:

Bro, you only have 600 battles. This game is really hard...... Just take it easy and play for fun and try to challenge yourself. You will probably never be like the others that have talent and innate ability. Please just don't go broadside with the Omaha, or any other cruiser. If your that guy than yes, you need more practice.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,722 posts
11,087 battles

Positioning and map awareness is everything in this game.  You need to decide at the beginning of the game where you are going to make your stand and what your plan is for pushing and for retreating.  Don't push any objectives without an escape plan.  Plan for the worst case scenario in every case.  That worst case usually involves your support turning around and leaving, or hiding and allowing you to be the only target.  Know how you are going to deal with that and be ready so that you can survive.  Kiting away and surviving while dealing damage is a viable solution.

Know when to go stop firing to go dark.  A minute without firing can save you.  It will stop your damage output, but it can allow you to heal and reposition.  Often, the enemy ships will move their guns to another target which takes time.  That is damage they are not doing to your team.  Then fire and go dark again.  It will take time to bring their guns back to you, and often you can be dark again by the time they do.  It will keep the enemy from dealing damage to your team and keeps the enemy off balance.

Most good streamers that you watch on youtube are moving around on the map, or they put an island between them and the majority of the enemy.  It makes them less than desirable targets.  Islands are great like that.  You don't have to be an island hugger, just use them to limit the ability of other ships to hit you from a vulnerable angle.  Moving and repositioning allows you to be a more difficult target than one that is sitting still.  Even a slow BB is harder to land big hits on if it is moving and changing course often.

Use the training room to test your ships ability to damage other ships.  Try shooting different areas of various ships at different angles and distances to get a feel for where you need to aim for max damage.

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,387 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

How many games did you have before you reset?

Around about 1400

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,336 posts
19,348 battles
6 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

Not sure if I have mentioned it above but the stats I have now are truly accurate I had it reset thinking I was a better player than what I once was because actually I was sitting at 45% win rate.

Come to find out I'm still that idiot player, now I only play battleships and cruisers but I can say I do know a little bit of my problem and that situation awareness is one, positioning is the other aiming for some odd reason I have to learn all over again I don't know what has changed about that.

Resets don't change the player.  It just changes a number.   From a WR perspective, a player is going to CONVERGE toward an asymptote WR.  A reset might get you closer to that asymptote (or even around it near it), but it won't change it.

Let's take 55% player who starts out with some low WR as they learn the game.  Say 45% at 1000 games.

Now watch how that convergence occurs, assuming a 55%  WR over the next 4000 games.

At 2000 games: 50%

At 3000 games: 51.7%

At 4000 games: 52.5

At 5000 games: 53%

Now compare that 53% to where a player would be with a rest at 1000 games (so they wash out the 45%).  Instead of 53%, they would be 55%.  A 2% WR delta is a wash.  It's in the noise.

Besides, most folks (who understand the process) won't judge based on overall WR, but on WR over the past thousand or so games.  It is well recognized that players tend to get better as they gain experience, and that all truly new players will be weighed down a bit early with poor stats.

There is also an understanding that stats can vary significantly depending on tier's played, divisions, the caliber of players in divisions, and even a few ships and combos that are greatly advantageous.

Don't worry about your WR.  Well, it's OK to worry about it, but not for its numeric value. Use it as a guide to measure progress.  But understand that even with a thousand games, a player is still in the learning stages of the game.  Playing well might come faster for some, but....in general....with experience (and lots of play)...that's where one gets better.  And just accept the fact that there is an aymptote you will converge on.  It might be 60%...or 55%...or even 50%.  Strive to get better.  Learn from each game.  And by all means...please have have fun. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
32,274 posts
9,988 battles
10 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

Around about 1400

Ok then, I got nothin' lol.

[TIMT]
Members
1,362 posts
4,904 battles

Hadn't seen this before:

From my experience, the first one is indeed the most important: Mindset.

Be open about criticism, look at things you can improve or change (and the ones you can't), and try to work on yourself. Small goals, don't go for everything at once, but just try learn from every failure.

When you lose, ask yourself: why got I sunk where I was, what events lead up to this, and was there anything I could have done better? Why did I not do it (did it not occur to me at the time, or did I think it was the wrong call)? Even if the game was unwinnable, maybe you could have survived for longer and done more damage. When things work out and you win, ask yourself what worked and what was just pure luck.

From these questions and analyses you will go automatically to specific questions in terms of game mechanics. Example : Why did that BB do so much damage to me while I could do nothing in return? Was it my aim, or is there something I missed. Answer: look at the targets armor profile, and at your guns. Test things in the training room if that is more your style.

If you have specific questions, or want to see advice on certain ships: Forum or streamers. But be aware, a streamer or the forum won't be able to give you the "one hour lesson that turns your stats green". You have to work on that.

And you already have done the first step: Wanting to get better, congrats on that! Good Luck on the rest of the journey!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

iChases learn 2 play series is decent, just stop there :)

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,501 posts

Just get predatory, pass the ammunition.

Don't over think this simple wham bam sink em arcade game.