You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Wolf7

DD torpedo advice

21 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
Members
76 posts
3,456 battles

So I am struggling to be effective with my torpedoes when playing a DD. I have good games in DD's where I sink a couple ships do 100k damage etc. but I'd say that I'm lucky to get even 1 or 2 torpedo hits in a game. I've even played 2-3 games in a row without landing a single torpedo.

I first experienced this while playing the Daring (my first T10 DD) which is more of a gun boat but has good torpedoes as well. Torpedoes felt so inconsistent that I worked my way up to a pure gunboat DD with the Harugumo line which I have found to be much more enjoyable and don't really feel the loss of a torpedo launcher with the reload booster and the fact that I can't seem to land torpedoes anyways. I know these DD's are more gun focused but it still feels like I shoot be hitting more targets with my torpedoes then that.

Even with me having good games in these DD's I can't help but feel like I am missing out on a lot of damage potential by not using torpedoes effectively. It's not like I am not using my torpedoes, I try to launch them at appropriate targets, I don't purely rely on the torpedo indicator and try to predict if the target may turn out/in or slow down. It feels like regardless, I don't seem to get a lot of use out of them. I've tried watching videos of the DD's I play and see how other players are playing them, analyzing the decision they make and if I would have done the same thing.

So now I'm asking the forums, any advice or videos you know about how to get the most out of torpedoes? Right now I'm trying to work up to the Halland in the hopes that playing a torpedo focused line will just give me experience but any good tactics, "does and don't s" of using torpedoes, etc. would be appreciated.

[USCG]
Members
753 posts
22,873 battles

I hate to say it but torps tend to be more miss than hit, especially in the upper tiers. At tiers 8-10 “most” have learned how to adjust their course/speed in small amounts which tends to be just enough to throw off your fish. There’s also hydro on just about everything and radar to keep you at max distance. 

I like to try to get as close as possible depending on other DDs in the area, radar and of course planes. Pay close attention to your intended target and look for fluctuations in your targeting guide. I like to fire slightly in front and then behind. A dev strike is always nice but go more for a few hits rather than the kill. Try to avoid bow on shots as well. 

Anywho, keep practicing. Your torp hits will improve with time. 

Good luck!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[KWF]
Members
5,818 posts
7,019 battles

Could you give some more info on what's your thought process when torping a certain target? Like at which range do you fire torpedoes? Do you launch torpedoes from stealth? After launching do you then pop smoke and start firing? A bit more information would help.

Members
2,161 posts
6,446 battles

I think generally the trop hit rate is 7% so your doing great....

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,820 posts
2,663 battles
27 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

So I am struggling to be effective with my torpedoes when playing a DD. I have good games in DD's where I sink a couple ships do 100k damage etc. but I'd say that I'm lucky to get even 1 or 2 torpedo hits in a game. I've even played 2-3 games in a row without landing a single torpedo.

I first experienced this while playing the Daring (my first T10 DD) which is more of a gun boat but has good torpedoes as well. Torpedoes felt so inconsistent that I worked my way up to a pure gunboat DD with the Harugumo line which I have found to be much more enjoyable and don't really feel the loss of a torpedo launcher with the reload booster and the fact that I can't seem to land torpedoes anyways. I know these DD's are more gun focused but it still feels like I shoot be hitting more targets with my torpedoes then that.

Even with me having good games in these DD's I can't help but feel like I am missing out on a lot of damage potential by not using torpedoes effectively. It's not like I am not using my torpedoes, I try to launch them at appropriate targets, I don't purely rely on the torpedo indicator and try to predict if the target may turn out/in or slow down. It feels like regardless, I don't seem to get a lot of use out of them. I've tried watching videos of the DD's I play and see how other players are playing them, analyzing the decision they make and if I would have done the same thing.

So now I'm asking the forums, any advice or videos you know about how to get the most out of torpedoes? Right now I'm trying to work up to the Halland in the hopes that playing a torpedo focused line will just give me experience but any good tactics, "does and don't s" of using torpedoes, etc. would be appreciated.

You just need to play against people like SKurj who dont understand how to use their rudder.

In all seriousness, torpedoes are an unreliable weapon.  When stalking a target, watch what it does for a bit before launching torps.  Dont just throw then out along the prediction line.  Instead, try to predict what the target is going to do, and send your torps there.  Stagger your racks, too.  I like to send the first rack off, wait a bit, and then send the 2nd rack.  That way, I can adjust where I launch the 2nd set of torps in case the target moves different from how i expected.

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,813 posts
12,634 battles

Torpedoes have a long travel time compared to shells. A lot can happen in a minute. The only way to guarantee torpedo hits is to be 2km away in a Paolo Emilio. Otherwise, yeeting torps is futile. The most optimal way to fire torps is as close as you can safely without being seen or radared.

[WPORT]
Members
8,185 posts
13,206 battles
23 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Setting-up a torpedo attack is the thing, in my opinion.

Finding a target that is sailing in a relatively straight line or a predictable course (around an island or through a natural ambush zone among islands).
Getting in position ahead and to the side of them and remaining outside of detection.
Launching in a manner that the torpedoes will impact the broadside of the target.
That's an example of a long-range stealth torpedo attack.

Alternate, but risky... more often useful in co-op ....
Charge towards one (or more?) targets in a sort of "Jousting match".
Pass near, but not too close to the target (so the torpedoes have room to arm)
Launch in a manner that the torpedoes hit the broadside of the target.  Use enough or more than enough to sink the target for certain.
This type of attack exposes one's ship to secondary battery fire and perhaps main-gun fire, too.  
There's a good chance of getting sunk.
Chances of success improve if the targets' main-gun turrets are pointed away from your ship.

Hairpin-turn attack.
Target is ahead of your ship, bow-on.  You head towards it, but somewhat to one side.
While still ahead of the targets' path, turn hard and cross in front of them.
You've got a choice, depending on your own ship's torpedo launcher arrangement and the positioning situation.
1.  Launch one side of your torpedo racks before the turn, then the other side's rack after the turn, or...
2.  Launch one rack during the turn, and the other rack after the turn.
When the turn is completed you will have come-about from your original course and are still ahead of your target, and ahead of any torpedoes they may try to launch at you.
The concept is that you hit the target with one or more of your torpedo salvos, while remaining out of reach of theirs.
Your ship is exposed to gun fire during this maneuver.  Might be able to time your turn after they fire a main-battery, so that you have a window of opportunity while they're reloading and you're turning and exposing your broadside.

Double-Jousting attack.
Used when the ship is equipped with two launchers per side (four total) or three torpedo launchers which can sink a BB plus a cruiser.
Sail between two ships, one target on your starboard, one on your port side.
Launch from nearly point blank range.
This can also be attempted if one's ship has the Torpedo-reload-boost consumable and the positioning and timing allow for the reload booster to load your tubes in time.
Risk = exposed to gunfire and any torpedoes the targets might be equipped with.

Ambush.
Target is coming around an island that your ship is using to block their vision and gunfire & etc.  Target doesn't know you are in position, hopefully.
Launch torpedoes so that when the target clears the island, the targets' broadside is slammed with a full spread of torpedoes.
Risk = the target may alter speed and/or course sufficiently to evade the attack.  Then they begin to *ambush* you with their ordnance. 
Helps to have an escape route, if things don't go as planned.

Combination.
Any of the above methods, and anything else that will work.
Use the situation and the timing and the terrain to create an opportunity.  
Use everything you've got to wring every advantage from opportunity.

I'm sure people will chime-in with their favorite methods.
I'm looking forward to reading them.

Good luck.

• Thanks 2

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

To be fair, Daring doesn't really have "good" torpedoes. They're pretty short ranged and slow for T10, and kind of weak to boot.

When you start getting into 12+km torpedoes, you have a lot more opportunity to catch enemies unaware, and be safer when launching.

If you want to play a torpedo focused line that gives good general experience, go USN (from Benson on) or IJN. The problem with EU DDs, is that you'll get spoiled by fast torps, and the lack of smoke and speed might cause you issues on its own.

One thing that will help, is on any given map, take note of where enemies like to snuggle up to island edges early on. Send blind torps there as soon as you're in range at game start. A lot of times, enemies will take up position there just as your torps arrive, and you often get a hit or two.

In fact, at anytime in the game, if you don't anticipate needing your torps in the next 90 seconds or so, send blind torps anywhere you think a ship might pop out. You can't rely on these shots, but they'll certainly add damage to your totals overall.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Thanks 1

Members
655 posts
17,980 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

One thing to remember is that just like Radar, there is a lot of hydro in the game. But all honesty, looking at your torp hit% on a few of your DD's it's pretty inline with everyone else. Here's an example - this is an O7 players stats, same as yours hit% as well as mine. 
image.thumb.png.f1566956938320df80f9a9c1e2f92590.png

Members
7,122 posts
22,103 battles
2 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

tons of good answers,

The white line indicator is more fools gold than helpful. 

Two quick ideas, because the beer is flowing and it's 84 degrees outside..

1) Put yourself in the enemy ship, knowing your detected but no one is shooting at you, or you shouldn't be detected. you assume you are being torped so you change course. Send your torps where you would have gone, not what the white indicator line tells you.

2) Don't send your torps immediately, study your opponent while he is detected, if he starts to slow down and appear to dodge expected torps, then send them when his path is more predictable.

3) Sometimes you should send torps short of the white line, so if he slows down they hit, but they may force him to stay at full speed to avoid them.... and your second spread will be right on target.

4) many times ships will take the fastest route, especially rounding an island, send your torps at the edges of islands or choke points where they should be.

There are tons of great strategies for torps, even looking at emblems of players on the load in screen may indicate if the player is likely to be a potato, or very good. 

That was more than two ideas, but that's all you get for now, my beer is empty.

• Thanks 1

Members
530 posts
17,385 battles

Like most of the game, it’s all about positioning.

Enemies are 3-10 times longer than they are wide. Firing against a bow on enemy can land the occasional hit, but will lead to the sort of variance you’re seeing.

A screening enemy dd will spot your torps and give reds more warning to dodge them, so positioning yourself at unexpected angles (and not firing your guns) will give them less opportunity to dodge.

It’s also great to play with your team. Especially at higher tiers, enemies can vary their movement effectively to dodge torps. But at higher tiers enemies get punished if they turn broadside to your BBs. By putting yourself to their side (and spotting) you can give them a choice between eating some torps or a broadside from a high tier BB.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,799 posts
6,026 battles
3 hours ago, Raven114 said:

I think generally the trop hit rate is 7% so your doing great....

That is a highly misleading statistic.

[T3I0F]
Members
76 posts
3,456 battles
4 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

I hate to say it but torps tend to be more miss than hit, especially in the upper tiers. At tiers 8-10 “most” have learned how to adjust their course/speed in small amounts which tends to be just enough to throw off your fish. There’s also hydro on just about everything and radar to keep you at max distance. 

I like to try to get as close as possible depending on other DDs in the area, radar and of course planes. Pay close attention to your intended target and look for fluctuations in your targeting guide. I like to fire slightly in front and then behind. A dev strike is always nice but go more for a few hits rather than the kill. Try to avoid bow on shots as well. 

Anywho, keep practicing. Your torp hits will improve with time. 

Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate the advice and encouragement!

4 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Could you give some more info on what's your thought process when torping a certain target? Like at which range do you fire torpedoes? Do you launch torpedoes from stealth? After launching do you then pop smoke and start firing? A bit more information would help.

I try to fire my torpedoes at the edge of my detection range to minimize travel time but this is often complicated by enemy DD's or radar. I do try to pop smoke and start firing which I think may be a mistake as that gives away my position so I am trying to stop that (as tempting as it may be to do so). Generally I'm trying to pick broadside targets but it is sometimes a struggle if you should let your torpedoes go at a non-ideal target or wait and see if a better target presents itself (which may never happen or maybe happens so long after that you could have had your torps reloaded by that time). Hope that explains my thought process. Thank you for the question!

4 hours ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

You just need to play against people like SKurj who dont understand how to use their rudder.

In all seriousness, torpedoes are an unreliable weapon.  When stalking a target, watch what it does for a bit before launching torps.  Dont just throw then out along the prediction line.  Instead, try to predict what the target is going to do, and send your torps there.  Stagger your racks, too.  I like to send the first rack off, wait a bit, and then send the 2nd rack.  That way, I can adjust where I launch the 2nd set of torps in case the target moves different from how i expected.

I do often send both racks at the same time. I'll try sending them more spaced out and see how I do. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Setting-up a torpedo attack is the thing, in my opinion.

Finding a target that is sailing in a relatively straight line or a predictable course (around an island or through a natural ambush zone among islands).
Getting in position ahead and to the side of them and remaining outside of detection.
Launching in a manner that the torpedoes will impact the broadside of the target.
That's an example of a long-range stealth torpedo attack.

Alternate, but risky... more often useful in co-op ....
Charge towards one (or more?) targets in a sort of "Jousting match".
Pass near, but not too close to the target (so the torpedoes have room to arm)
Launch in a manner that the torpedoes hit the broadside of the target.  Use enough or more than enough to sink the target for certain.
This type of attack exposes one's ship to secondary battery fire and perhaps main-gun fire, too.  
There's a good chance of getting sunk.
Chances of success improve if the targets' main-gun turrets are pointed away from your ship.

Hairpin-turn attack.
Target is ahead of your ship, bow-on.  You head towards it, but somewhat to one side.
While still ahead of the targets' path, turn hard and cross in front of them.
You've got a choice, depending on your own ship's torpedo launcher arrangement and the positioning situation.
1.  Launch one side of your torpedo racks before the turn, then the other side's rack after the turn, or...
2.  Launch one rack during the turn, and the other rack after the turn.
When the turn is completed you will have come-about from your original course and are still ahead of your target, and ahead of any torpedoes they may try to launch at you.
The concept is that you hit the target with one or more of your torpedo salvos, while remaining out of reach of theirs.
Your ship is exposed to gun fire during this maneuver.  Might be able to time your turn after they fire a main-battery, so that you have a window of opportunity while they're reloading and you're turning and exposing your broadside.

Double-Jousting attack.
Used when the ship is equipped with two launchers per side (four total) or three torpedo launchers which can sink a BB plus a cruiser.
Sail between two ships, one target on your starboard, one on your port side.
Launch from nearly point blank range.
This can also be attempted if one's ship has the Torpedo-reload-boost consumable and the positioning and timing allow for the reload booster to load your tubes in time.
Risk = exposed to gunfire and any torpedoes the targets might be equipped with.

Ambush.
Target is coming around an island that your ship is using to block their vision and gunfire & etc.  Target doesn't know you are in position, hopefully.
Launch torpedoes so that when the target clears the island, the targets' broadside is slammed with a full spread of torpedoes.
Risk = the target may alter speed and/or course sufficiently to evade the attack.  Then they begin to *ambush* you with their ordnance. 
Helps to have an escape route, if things don't go as planned.

Combination.
Any of the above methods, and anything else that will work.
Use the situation and the timing and the terrain to create an opportunity.  
Use everything you've got to wring every advantage from opportunity.

I'm sure people will chime-in with their favorite methods.
I'm looking forward to reading them.

Good luck.

Thank you for the very thorough answer! Really appreciate it!

• Thanks 1

[KWF]
Members
5,818 posts
7,019 battles
15 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

I try to fire my torpedoes at the edge of my detection range to minimize travel time but this is often complicated by enemy DD's or radar. I do try to pop smoke and start firing which I think may be a mistake as that gives away my position so I am trying to stop that (as tempting as it may be to do so). Generally I'm trying to pick broadside targets but it is sometimes a struggle if you should let your torpedoes go at a non-ideal target or wait and see if a better target presents itself (which may never happen or maybe happens so long after that you could have had your torps reloaded by that time). Hope that explains my thought process. Thank you for the question!

Thanks for the response, that clears some things up. First of all, you shouldn't be popping smoke and firing after launching torpedoes. Most ships get scared away as they know a DD is in the area. That said, you can use that to your advantage by having ships turn into torpedoes that would otherwise miss.

In general, try picking unexpected angles of attack. Attacking immediately in front of the enemy isn't the best solution. Try instead to find an opening to take advantage of BBs slugging it out. 

However, at times even launching torpedoes from the front has  it's use. Don't be discouraged by the low number of torpedo hits. It 99% means an enemy will use Damage Control, which you can then exploit to set a permanent fire. On Daring this is very easy to do as the quick smoke and high DPM helps. 

Last, especially in hybrid DDs, don't be afraid to fail. Sometimes torping just won't work, but you got main battery DPM to fall back to.

• Thanks 1

[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts

I just went into a game with my Shima and notice on this screenshot that the date is for today! I got 11 torp hits and did 144,000 damage in a Random game. Now look at how many gun hits I got and you will see ZERO. The guns on the Shima hit decently but with the fire rate they sort of suck. So I choose just to never use them and I do very well in her.  I helped my team win because I put so much pressure on the enemy ships that they were afraid to come into the cap and try and take it from us. 

Now to help you become better I will offer my strategy at how I play my DD's and this is just me, I'm sure 500 other Captains have 500 other ways that they do it. I use the white torpedo path indicator but I assume that the enemy will either speed up or slow down before my torps get across the ocean to where he is at. So I fire my first set of torps 1/2 white indicator length ahead and another torp volley half white indicator length behind. Then if you have a 3rd release of torps like I did with this Shima then I fire it slightly behind the white indicator but with the FULL spread on. The first 2 releases I use the tight grouping and 3rd I use full spread. This almost guarantees me at least 1-2 hits even if the ship turns sharply or slows down

Now look at my other screenshot with my Halland and notice a whopping 19 Torpedo hits! But unlike the Shima I did use guns on the Halland because they are very decent and great for starting fires. With their 2 second reload they are amazing in the right situations. The torps however are weak in terms of damage but blazing fast and reload is good which again make it easier to get hits if you use my strategy. Releasing one volley half ahead of the white indicator and since you have only 2 volleys of torps on the Halland If you are more than 8km away from target release the second volley with full spread half behind the white indicator. If you are less than 8km away from the ship then release the second volley directly on the white indicator because they travel at 95km and they won't be able to react in time. 

it is very hard to really help someone because part of using torps is a feeling you get at the exact moment you decide to fire them. Sometimes I just feel that a ship is going to turn sharply or change directions. Other times I can look at the battlefield and see he is trying to catch up to his enemy team and I know he's not going to slow down. Then other instances I notice him getting fired on by my team and I see how he dodges and weaves to avoid incoming fire so I know this is not a stupid Captain and he plays well. I adjust my torps according to how I read the ship and the battlefield and that's just instinct and experience of playing thousands of games. It's hard to teach that because every game is vastly different than the last one. 

You have to decide if you want to run a DD gunboat, a straight up torpedo boat or a hybrid with both. I highly suggest the Halland if you don't have her already because it's such a great ship all the way around. Good guns, blazing fast torps, amazing AA(really shreds planes), good concealment, decent speed and very easy for anyone to play. I hope you have fun out there!

EDIT: I just read some other responses and I would never recommend popping smoke or firing on the enemy ship before you fire torps. even after you fire torps don't fire on him as he may turn to avoid your fire and thus your torps go ailing past him. If he doesn't know you are there then he can't anticipate those torps. I try not to give myself away if I can help it while I have torps in the water.

Shima144k.jpg

Halland.jpg

Edited by Lord_Argus
  • Thanks 1

[GRETA]
Members
1,384 posts
10,620 battles

1) Don't just use the grey line to aim.

2) Try to predict what the ship will be doing in the time it takes your torpedoes to get there.  Better yet pick ships that are going to be predictable.  Ships bow tanking next to islands tend to remain stationary for the most part.  Ships passing behind islands trying to catch up to their team tend to sail in straight lines etc.

3) Angles, try to wait for side shots rather than bow or stern shots.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,495 posts
22,925 battles

It depends on torpedo detection range, how attentive the red player is to priority target.

Shimmy's 20km torps are about 10% hit ratio due to 2.4 det....

I find on my torpedo boats, if I stay off guns I have a better hit ratio....

[WPORT]
Members
8,185 posts
13,206 battles
45 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Thank you for the very thorough answer! Really appreciate it!

You're welcome.
Looks like plenty of how-to advice found its' way into this topic.

P.S.  I play a lot of my BB's & Cruisers (that are equipped with torpedoes) as though they were plus-sized DD's.

P.P.S.  Hairpin turn variation.  Instead of crossing in front of a target ship, make the turn away from the target.  You'll still come-about and end up in front of the target, but won't have risked getting rammed in the process.

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,904 battles

I advise you watch some of the better players videos. Good DD jocks just seem to have a sense about where to fire their torps. If you have a fast reload time you should practically be firing your fish as soon as you can.  Personally, I would not have a torpedo DD without the RDF skill. Once you learn how to use RDF offensively you will never go back.  It is gold for killing smoke sitters and laying ambushes.

Members
406 posts
878 battles
On 2/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Single biggest advice I can give. Learn the maps and the regular shipping channels. You'll hit a surprising amount that way alone. Also. Second biggest tip. RPF is your torpedo friend. 

WoWS Community Contributors
3,477 posts
13,893 battles
On 2/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

This video is a good example of maintaining good torpedo position as the enemy team moves around the map.  Torpedo boats are going to want to stay ahead of the their advance and at an angle that allows them to interdict the broadside aspect of the red ships as they move.  Another good tip is to get separation from your BBs.  The enemy will angle at your BBs if they dont want to get nuked.  If you anticipate this with your positioning you can get some amazing torp opportunities pretty consistently.