You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
freggo

Stolen Doublons

20 comments in this topic

[PUMA]
Members
1,113 posts
10,783 battles

I usually defend WG for certain tactics to increase revenue. The game development, the servers, corporate overhead and profit need to be paid for. I understand and accept that.

I also do not mind spending money for premium time ( I have the full year on both my accounts), the occasional ship and for DOUBLOONS.

What absolutely turns me off is seeing after a battle a charge of 125 Doubloons for replenishing a camo ( Type 59 this time, that's US$ 0.50 per camo !).

I NEVER turn on the repurchase for 'in game currency' (i.e. Doubloons) option yet WG has it set up that THEY TURN IT ON for you now and then, counting on you not noticing until after the battle.

I am not being cheap here but I want control over what I purchase without watching out for backstabbing like tactics. If a retail establishment (the size of WG) in the US would try this the Federal Trade Commission would give them their full attention.

That is a lousy way of treating loyal customers ( and I am being VERY POLITE in my choice of words so I do not trigger a content filter).

Edited by freggo
  • Cool 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF3]
Members
514 posts
11,733 battles

You can ask via ticket for them to roll back the account if it was recent I think. Gotta watch the check box when you are making changes or are uncertain. Just the way it is im afraid. Also, I would go into the inventory and sell the gold camos and never use them.

Edited by Drifter_X

[SBS]
Members
6,522 posts

This topic comes up fairly regularly.  WG knows this is a sore spot for the players and they still haven't fixed the problem so we should believe its intentional on their part.  My advice, get the "stingy by default" mod in the modstation.  This mod automatically sets everything to not use doubloons.

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 7

[VORTX]
Members
591 posts
7,758 battles
22 minutes ago, freggo said:

I usually defend WG for certain tactics to increase revenue. The game development, the servers, corporate overhead and profit need to be paid for. I understand and accept that.

I also do not mind spending money for premium time ( I have the full year on both my accounts), the occasional ship and for DOUBLOONS.

What absolutely turns me off is seeing after a battle a charge of 125 Doubloons for replenishing a camo ( Type 59 this time, that's US$ 0.50 per camo !).

I NEVER turn on the repurchase for 'in game currency' (i.e. Doubloons) option yet WG has it set up that THEY TURN IT ON for you now and then, counting on you not noticing until after the battle.

I am not being cheap here but I want control over what I purchase without watching out for backstabbing like tactics. If a retail establishment (the size of WG) in the US would try this the Federal Trade Commission would give them their full attention.

That is a lousy way of treating loyal customers ( and I am being VERY POLITE in my choice of words so I do not trigger a content filter).

It’s poor business choices like this that will forever keep me from recommending the game to friends and family. 

Yes, I will choose to spend cash on the game, but I need to choose to do so, not be dooped into it because of a toggle switch that WG continues to reset (looking at you 1500 dub 10 point commanders with every new ship no matter how many times I turn it off that keeps resetting).

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

Members
5,671 posts
11,009 battles

They only seem to do it on some accounts but not all of them....  The ONLY time I have to set it is when I get a new ship.  Once set - it is done no matter how many patches I load up.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,607 posts

I use permacamos where possible. One time charge of 50 dollars or whatever in Doubleloons pay in the long run as in years of use. Most of my ships have a perma. It will take about another 150 dollars more in doubles to finish the permas on the rest and a bit more after the Japanese collection is complete and unlocks permas on that nation's ships.

Spend spend spend. I get disgusted sometimes and don't bother. As a result I have about 300 Camos saved up more or less since Xmas. I know I will be using those free camos when I play a ship without a permacamo to avoid paying

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles

@freggo You have been here long enough that you should know that if you have auto-resupply enable to check after patches to see if "Use in Game Currency" has been re-enabled.

• Meh 2

[WOLF7]
Members
876 posts
2 hours ago, freggo said:

Download and install Modstation. Turn on "Stingy by Default". Problem solved.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

This topic comes up fairly regularly.  WG knows this is a sore spot for the players and they still haven't fixed the problem so we should believe its intentional on their part.  My advice, get the "stingy by default" mod in the mod hub.  This mod automatically sets everything to not use doubloons.

It's been a complaint since the game came out.  I think they prefer the Doubloons bleed out of players.  Then again, they can't bleed Doubloons if you don't have any Doubloons to begin with!

[PVE]
Members
10,932 posts
18,944 battles
2 hours ago, freggo said:

Aslains has the mod you need, frugal by design or something like that. It's actually you that resets the checkbox but the default setting is checked, which is a shady practice.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,669 posts
25,163 battles

I have played the game for like 5 years and FINALLy downloaded Mod Station. It truly is wonderful what they allow you to do including "Stingy By Default". Such a nice addition to the game and it allows me to use my signals and camos without fear of losing doubloons. 

[GWG]
Members
7,403 posts
14,192 battles

I usually sell off those incredibly expensive camo's for credits.
When I see I get anywhere from 500,000 to 75,000 credits...   Nope..  I'll never use those.
So they never get switched on in the first place.

[TSF]
Members
430 posts
14,347 battles
6 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

and they still haven't fixed the problem

WG has no intention of fixing the "problem", because Wargaming IS the "problem".

They know that their system is causing people to spend doubloons unintentionally: that literally is the INTENT of the system. 

It's like this year's Christmas loot boxes. When caught red handed, WG had to admit that they DID indeed stack the deck against the players with an undisclosed "short list" and an inaccurate and misleading description. I don't want to derail this thread by going into the right/wrong of the original decision again, but I do want to point out what WG did AFTER they were caught. 

Ever after making the admission and offering some version of a refund,  WG did NOT stop selling the exact same loot boxes with the exact same short list. WG did NOT change the description of the loot boxes to mention the shortlist. WG did NOT make an effort to educate their customers of the issue. 

WG had ACTUAL knowledge that the description was, at best, severely misleading. 

WG had ACTUAL knowledge that players were being deceived.

WG had ACTUAL knowledge that the boxes, as described, violated consumer protection laws in multiple countries. 

WG had ACTUAL knowledge that they were abusing their loyal customers with an illegal practice. 

So what did WG do? 

Nothing. They kept right on selling the exact same boxes with the exact same descriptions.

That tells you everything you need to know about when WG will fix the "problem" of players unintentionally spending doubloons. 

Never. Working as intended. 

• Thanks 3

[TIMT]
Members
1,414 posts
4,969 battles
8 hours ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

It’s poor business choices like this that will forever keep me from recommending the game to friends and family. 

This, and certain balancing/design decisions. But mostly this.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,460 posts
17,416 battles
9 hours ago, freggo said:

NGL this is a matter of YOUR inattention to detail, specifically your stocks of these high-value flags and camos that replenish for doubloons and your continued use of them past the point of depletion. The only reason they are costing you doubloons is because you have RUN OUT.

They have NEVER turned it on without my consent in... oh, at least three years. IF that was ever an issue in the time I've played the game, it was fixed an age ago. As in shortly before they stopped charging dubs for premium consumables.

The only time this has ever caught me by surprise it was MY mistake, I owned it, and I didn't come here to whine about it.

• Meh 2

[PUMA]
Members
1,113 posts
10,783 battles

picture = 1000 words...

video = 1000 pictures...

So here you go:

Selected Type 59

turn off pay option

switched to different camo

then changed my mind back to Type 59

and bingo... pay option is selected again :-(

If you are in a hurry to get your boat ready while div mates are waiting then this can easily get overlooked.

Maybe it is deception by WG design, maybe it is poor programming; i give them the benefit of the doubt. But it sure should be fixed !

P.S. Yes, it is my alt account :-)

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[TSF]
Members
430 posts
14,347 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They have NEVER turned it on without my consent in... oh, at least three years.

Try an experiment. Pick a ship, double check to make 100% sure that you have disabled the use resource to purchase option. Remove all flags and camo, as you would if you were going to use it in Co-op to remove a snowflake. Now play a coop game with the ship. Replace the flags and camo as though you were going to use the ship to play a game in "random". Presto! The use doubloons option has been helpfully automatically reselected for you. 

Edited by Litigo_1970
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,924 posts

yes it sucks and weegee should fix it, though likely won't after all these years..

but they do offer a supported tool which will allow you to install a tiny approved mod that will prevent it from happening again... it's your money...