Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

grinding a line...

44 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

Curious what tactics some of you use for grinding a line in pve?

At T8 while I can earn a little exp i lose credits if i don't run signals/camo..  running premium, always...

Is it just a case of run your signals and camos, and supplement credits with ops?  sacrificing freexp?  Looking like it takes a much larger investment in time/$$ to do it in pve

• Cool 1

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles

I'm on free premium time.

The only time I lose credits on a battle is tier 10 CV.
(So glad there is 120k+ xp to grind on those once you  reach the most expensive tier to play.):Smile_trollface: 

[PTRGT]
Members
445 posts
55,396 battles

What I did when grinding a line is only play the ship once or twice a day.

I also play the ship I like to play as well that also make me me the credits I'm going to lose when I get at the T8 to 10 range in the grind

Another trick is when you hit T8 in the line start grinding another line these starting ship will earn you credits to help cover the cost of the other line.

It is in your best interest to eventually grind all the lines just for the snow flake event alone no matter how much you may dislike or have no interest in some of them. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

to be honest the only ship over T8 i would really like is Yamato, and I am currently sitting with over 100k exp to go on Amagi, even with premium time i was a bit surprised how much it was costing me in credits when i am late to the party in a coop match.

i know it will take a lot longer with exp at such low amounts per match and i accepted that.  The credits were the surprise...

don't mind spending a little on signals but i am soo cheap i haven't been using them in coop(or camos),i do use them in ops tho, but i guess in the end it all adds up!

I have a few lines below t8 i am working on and a few premiums i can run at least to supplement the credits, i'll just have to decide how badly i want Yamato.

[WPORT]
Members
8,105 posts
13,162 battles
3 hours ago, SKurj said:

At T8 while I can earn a little exp i lose credits if i don't run signals/camo..

Is it just a case of run your signals and camos, and supplement credits with ops?  sacrificing freexp?  Looking like it takes a much larger investment in time/$$ to do it in pve

Premium time = most of the time don't lose credits while playing in Co-op.
Premium time + random battles = grind faster
Premium time + random battles + economic and special signal flags = grind more faster
Premium time + ranked battles + all useful flags = grind more faster plus 

Otherwise, use Free-XP to research ships and purchase with credits.

As you probably already know, Free-XP is a precious commodity.  

Playing in Co-op is usually not stressful.  So, if one is not in a hurry, then just play a ship over & over to perform the research and hopefully do well enough to not lose credits via ship's service costs.
If one is not satisfied with the progress via Co-op games, then the other options of random or ranked battles await you.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If one is not satisfied with the progress via Co-op games, then the other options of random or ranked battles await you.

been there done that :) not a fan of higher tier random play thanks...

[WPORT]
Members
8,105 posts
13,162 battles
2 minutes ago, SKurj said:

been there done that :) not a fan of higher tier random play thanks...

I understand.  

My tolerance levels vary.  I'm working on improving my random & ranked battle play.  But, there's still a long way to go, and there are times when I simply take a break from it.

I'm also working on the Honorable Service campaign, which requires Tier-8/9/10 random battles in order to achieve the tasks/missions.
Two years ago I didn't have the required ships or the tolerance for the saltiness.  Now, I'm giving it a try.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I understand.  

My tolerance levels vary.  I'm working on improving my random & ranked battle play.  But, there's still a long way to go, and there are times when I simply take a break from it.

I'm also working on the Honorable Service campaign, which requires Tier-8/9/10 random battles in order to achieve the tasks/missions.
Two years ago I didn't have the required ships or the tolerance for the saltiness.  Now, I'm giving it a try.

i drop in occasionally for 3-4 matches at the lower tiers... like 5-6 ish, i would like to get back there, i just have to learn to chill...   ever since i gave up the booze i seem to be just a little easier to trigger..    :cap_win:

[WPORT]
Members
8,105 posts
13,162 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

i drop in occasionally for 3-4 matches at the lower tiers... like 5-6 ish, i would like to get back there, i just have to learn to chill...   ever since i gave up the booze i seem to be just a little easier to trigger..    :cap_win:

The real fun for the sake of fun seems to be at the low tiers, in my opinion.

[CUDA]
Members
286 posts
8,014 battles

If you don't play prime tiers 5-7 are your big money makers. When you get free prime you can play 8 and 9 as well (9 if you play better than me). So play 5-7 until you have the credits you need, then play the ship you are working until your ship's experience + free experience is enough to buy the next item while keeping an eye on the credit situation. I only play random with friends so I have one of each type ship (DD, CL, CA, BB) at tier 10 and little more than that at 9. You really don't need many of them if you are a non-prime PVE player.

[NBNG]
[NBNG]
Members
411 posts
12,675 battles
5 hours ago, SKurj said:

At T8 while I can earn a little exp i lose credits if i don't run signals/camo..  running premium, always...

I have grinded 21 lines. Some I played out because they were fun to play and have done twice and 3 times. Some to a certain level then stopped and played a little at a time. Some used free EXP to get through the ships that I hated. So, find the ships you enjoy to play the most, be it BB, DD, CV or cruiser. Then do the next and so on. Just a few ideas. Enjoy. Flags, use what you got. You will figure it out. Which works best.

Edited by Buzzardsluck

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles

I maximize camo, flags, and first win bonuses. If I am low on flags I might only play it once a day for the first win bonus then play something else to make credits. Premiums like De Grasse and whatever mid tier premiums are available for coal are good for this. Of course a T9 or T10 coal premium is even better.

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
597 posts
5,863 battles

i am a rat pack hoarder, lol. I am more stingy in-game. I stockpile some of sigs I don't care about to sell. Red dragons, get sold, they only effect XP, so I keep 10-30 at most. I also sell XP paints keeping to a minimum in storage, and too keep the placemark open in the exterior view. I do use Zulu, and Zulu Hotel sigs extensively, I will purchase them with coupons(coal) when available, and use turn in tokens for paints and sigs, beyond the other turn-ins. I also pretty exclusively take the more money XP containers for daily XP acquisition nowadays(I have all I want of the others), and cash option seems to drop a port slot more often.. Awhile back I sold it all down to minimums, and garnered about 10-15M CR.

Edited by iamSamoth

[VOP]
Members
598 posts
10,254 battles

Just play. That is the thing. If you do not want to sacrifice your Free XP then play. Even with the free camos we all get that helps a little bit. I hardly ever spend Free XP.

After 5 years in the game I hit a hard wall at T8. The grind took me long with Premium time the last couple years. Yes on some battles you lose credits but as others have said play your lower tiers too. This helps replenish the losses/bad positioning that BB's sometimes get.

Now I have a few of my T9's because of the Christmas grinds for Strasbourg and Hizen.  And I even got the few lower tier ships through the other campaign. 

If you have the time to play this helps too. Committing to an event in this game is a long haul too. Good Luck. :Smile_honoring:

[RVNHQ]
Members
382 posts
11,280 battles

I don't have much aspiration of grinding every line but I tend stockpile resources ( FXP, credits and ECXP ) before committing to a new grind. If you play semi-regularly stuff like signals and camos aren't really an issue.

Currently setting aside any new grinds to level up a few unique commanders to 21pts.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,822 posts
28,397 battles

Premium time and signals are  a major boost to credit earning.  If you really enjoy the ship, premium camo will reduce the credit burden by lowering your re-fit cost.  If you're F2P, then you will need to go back and forth between lower tiers to make credits to play higher tier's losses.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,853 posts
25,782 battles

Tier V and below is a chore, but it's not as time consuming because the XP demands aren't that much.

Grinding Tier VI-VII isn't a problem, especially because there are Operations there, i.e. Aegis, Raptor Rescue for Tier VI grinding.  And of course, Narai for Tier VII.

But Tier VIII+ is where it really slows down.  The XP requirements skyrocket, especially going from IX->X.  The most discouraging Ship Grinding if you only do PVE is Carriers, because you're literally grinding 2 tiers worth before moving to the next ship.  The most worst ever PVE grind I ever did was Tier VIII CV -> X.

Premium Account, Economic Signal Flags can help, and Camo that boosts XP gains lessen the pain, but the High Tier grind is still painful, especially for CV grinding.  You could use the precious Signal Flags like Dragon Flags, but I'm personally loathe to spend them for Co-Op, and prefer to save them for Operations.

There is also the matter of FreeXP.  Personally since my PVP days have gone down, my large intake of FreeXP has also dried up with it.  Co-Op rewards jack & sh*t for FreeXP.  Operations is the only real source for FreeXP.  It means that these days I'm very reluctant to use FreeXP for Line Grinds / Skipping.  If you do a bunch of PVP or are an Operations Fantatic, then you're likely going to have a better FreeXP intake than I do and that should help ease the pain of the High Tier Grind.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
2 hours ago, iamSamoth said:

i am a rat pack hoarder, lol. I am more stingy in-game. I stockpile some of sigs I don't care about to sell. Red dragons, get sold, they only effect XP, so I keep 10-30 at most. I also sell XP paints keeping to a minimum in storage, and too keep the placemark open in the exterior view. I do use Zulu, and Zulu Hotel sigs extensively, I will purchase them with coupons(coal) when available, and use turn in tokens for paints and sigs, beyond the other turn-ins. I also pretty exclusively take the more money XP containers for daily XP acquisition nowadays(I have all I want of the others), and cash option seems to drop a port slot more often.. Awhile back I sold it all down to minimums, and garnered about 10-15M CR.

about those red dragons...  after reading this .. i wouldn't ever sell those...  if this post is still accurate (i hope it is) its the xp i need the most of, next to credits of course, but i think selling them would be counter productive.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,853 posts
25,782 battles

I also want to add, when it comes to Camo for XP boosts, do not bother with Perma-Camo.  Just use the stacks of regular Camo you have laying around.  Typical Perma-Camo bonus is +50% XP for Tier VIII and below, which in all honesty, is 100% crap.  Tier IX Perma-Camo has +100%, which is more useful, but it's still expensive to acquire at 4k Doubloons at the very least.

WG hands out a number of free consumable camo with better XP bonus than almost all Perma-Camo.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage#Promotional_Camouflage

I save these for Line Grinds.

Stars & Stripes camo has +125% XP bonus, better than even Tier IX-X +100% XP bonus.

Victory Salute and a few others have +100% XP, +150% CaptainXP, +100% FreeXP bonus.

There are a few that are harder, more expensive to acquire like Type 59 (200% XP), Asian Lantern (200% XP + 555% Captain XP), etc.  These are really good but personally, I wouldn't use them on Co-Op, they're too valuable.  I save such Camo for Operations or, if you do PVP, those modes of play.  Even Random Battles is very rewarding with good games.

IMO, the only Perma-Camo that are of any use are:

1.  The ones that look good to you.

2.  Tier IX-X Perma-Camo with 100% XP bonus.

3.  Tier X Perma-Camo with that whopping 50% reduction to post battle servicing costs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
597 posts
5,863 battles

only time i am interested in XP, is for some task. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague. Worthless to me for the most part, tbh.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I also want to add, when it comes to Camo for XP boosts, do not bother with Perma-Camo.  Just use the stacks of regular Camo you have laying around.  Typical Perma-Camo bonus is +50% XP for Tier VIII and below, which in all honesty, is 100% crap.  Tier IX Perma-Camo has +100%, which is more useful, but it's still expensive to acquire at 4k Doubloons at the very least.

WG hands out a number of free consumable camo with better XP bonus than almost all Perma-Camo.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage#Promotional_Camouflage

I save these for Line Grinds.

Stars & Stripes camo has +125% XP bonus, better than even Tier IX-X +100% XP bonus.

Victory Salute and a few others have +100% XP, +150% CaptainXP, +100% FreeXP bonus.

There are a few that are harder, more expensive to acquire like Type 59 (200% XP), Asian Lantern (200% XP + 555% Captain XP), etc.  These are really good but personally, I wouldn't use them on Co-Op, they're too valuable.  I save such Camo for Operations or, if you do PVP, those modes of play.  Even Random Battles is very rewarding with good games.

I do this same thing in most games... i save what i think is my good stuff for that rainy day that never comes..  I have looked at my meager earnings in coop and felt it wasn't worth using these, but they aren't doing me any favors sitting in here... some have been here for likely 4yrs+.  I'll save them for the higher tier grinds though.  This is just the ones that have xp bonuses... so there are a couple more..

image.thumb.png.738c57727701663c5ab4681ae97e51a1.png

[WOLF9]
Members
4,678 posts

I use premium time, flags, camo,  and joined a clan.    I also have the military month contributor flag on every ship.

Additionally, I have a large fleet of premium ships and elited ships that I play frequently.    That breaks up the grind,  and helps keep the credits and fxp coming in.   Tbh, unless I'm getting close,  I don't actually "grind" anything- those ships are simply part of the rotation.   They'll get 3 games back to back- at most- before I move on to something else.

[CUDA]
Members
286 posts
8,014 battles

Another suggestion, play everyday to get the 2,000 xp container. In coop it only takes 2-3 games and will give you another 50-150k credits. 30 minutes a day and those credits add up.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,136 posts
23,051 battles

I run premium time - always.  For the lower tiers (under T5), I generally just do a quick battle or 5, then FXP if the ship is really bad, or just grind it out if not.  I just use the crappy camos I have for these ships.  For the mid tiers (T6-T7), I use better camo that might have a little XP on it.  FXP the hull B, and then grind it out.  For T8 - T(, it is camos that are 100% XP on them.  If a ship is really dreadful - looking at you Monarch, I FXP it.

I know some people can grind one ship all day.  I can't.  It drives me crazy.  I might mix up my matches a little - Grinding Ship - T10 BB - Grinding Ship - different T10 BB, etc.

I also don't mind taking a little longer to grind lines.  Most days I just shoot to get the 6 daily tasks and the 3 resource containers and then I am done for the day.

Sign in to follow this