Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Llaredrum

Petition To Update Captain Skill: Swift In Silence

13 comments in this topic

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts

I am writing to have this skill updated because in its current form its useless.  This skill adds 8% more speed to the ship while adding 5% reload time.  But then spotted it magically just stops working.  Like somehow engines are just too shy to work hard when I am seen.  I understand that there is give and take with these skills, but to render this skill useless because your spotted makes no sense on top of the fact that there is a 5% longer reload to your main guns, this is just a waste of space as an option and should be revamped.   This skill is not balanced.  Either leave it on full time and we can accept the longer reload or don't mess with the reload and take it away when spotted.  In its current form the skill has more downside than benefit so I hope you consider changing it.       

If you don't want to change the skill please consider at least a name change...  here are few options below.

1. Swift In Abyss

2.  Spy and Cry 

3. Dark Speed - Because it only works unspotted

4. TACS - Throwing Away Captain Skills

[Edited]

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

I disagree, the skill is pretty useful with most torpedo boats and Yolo Emilio as it helps them get into positions quicker. Also ships like Daring can somewhat benefit due to the lack of Engine Boost, though the hit to DPM is debatable.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,651 battles
On 2/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, Llaredrum said:

I am writing to have this skill updated because in its current form its useless.  This skill adds 8% more speed to the ship while adding 5% reload time.  But then spotted it magically just stops working.  Like somehow engines are just too shy to work hard when I am seen.  I understand that there is give and take with these skills, but to render this skill useless because your spotted makes no sense on top of the fact that there is a 5% longer reload to your main guns, this is just a waste of space as an option and should be revamped.   This skill is not balanced.  Either leave it on full time and we can accept the longer reload or don't mess with the reload and take it away when spotted.  In its current form the skill has more downside than benefit so I hope you consider changing it.       

If you don't want to change the skill please consider at least a name change...  here are few options below.

1. Swift In Abyss

2.  Spy and Cry 

3. Dark Speed - Because it only works unspotted

4. TACS - Throwing Away Captain Skills

[Edited]

The skill is fine as is.  It's basically a skill for stealthy torp boats that would prefer to be unspotted as much as possible.  It's not a skill for gunboats that want to be firing their guns as much as possible.

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles

I don't know much about the skill you referenced.  But, I give you a +1 because of the reference in #5.

• Thanks 1

Members
968 posts
221 battles
3 hours ago, Llaredrum said:

I am writing to have this skill updated because in its current form its useless. 

edit

If a 4 point skill is useless to you.  Don't select it.

If you have selected the skill and now want the skill changed - lol.

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts
16 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

If a 4 point skill is useless to you.  Don't select it.

If you have selected the skill and now want the skill changed - lol.

LOL yeah lets laugh because its sooo funny.... I think the skill could be made more useful and I do not believe removing it when spotted it much of a skill.  Who needs extra speed when your dark??? That is funny.... I get the give and take with some skills... but it's not balanced.  Hilarious!  LOL

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts
19 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

I disagree, the skill is pretty useful with most torpedo boats and Yolo Emilio as it helps them get into positions quicker. Also ships like Daring can somewhat benefit due to the lack of Engine Boost, though the hit to DPM is debatable.

All I am saying its not much of skill if it gets removed once spotted.... did we all forget about radar and CV's... not to mention other more concealed DD's.... this skill makes no sense.  As you said it already takes a hit to the gun reload... so all I am saying if that is the case why remove it when spotted?  When your spotted is when you need the little bit of extra speed to get out of the detection.  The skill is unbalanced IMO.  

Positives: +8% speed for 4 points 

Negative: 5% Reload Time added to Main Guns

Negative: Skill is removed when spotted

Finally Total: Pointless and not worth 4 skill points based on the fact there is no skill when you really need it.

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts
18 hours ago, Crucis said:

The skill is fine as is.  It's basically a skill for stealthy torp boats that would prefer to be unspotted as much as possible.  It's not a skill for gunboats that want to be firing their guns as much as possible.

Fair enough but removing the skill when spotted still makes no sense... I say keep something as a give and take approach to the skills... but what is the point of having a "captain skill" if it doesn't work when spotted... pretty counter productive if you ask me.  So if the skill is only a select group of DD's then its flawed and waste of space.  8% faster DD is not going to change the game... Like lets say... Oh I dunno BB's with 10% tighter dispersion all playing in the back of the map now. 

Edited by Llaredrum
  • Meh 1

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts
20 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Really?  You do understand that it's gone once your sighted... as if the Halland has all that stealth.  Then your going to be fighting Kita's and Sma's with 5% less reload speed.... What a great skill for 4 capt points... there is only a few random games where this skill would be worth the 4 pts.  It should be something like 2 points at best.  4pts to have it removed when spotted and lose gun power.   Good luck with that in a game with more radar and CV's... Complete waste of time in most situations to lower your DPM and lose the skill completely when you need it.   

• Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
5 minutes ago, Llaredrum said:

Really?  You do understand that it's gone once your sighted... as if the Halland has all that stealth.  Then your going to be fighting Kita's and Sma's with 5% less reload speed.... What a great skill for 4 capt points... there is only a few random games where this skill would be worth the 4 pts.  It should be something like 2 points at best.  4pts to have it removed when spotted and lose gun power.   Good luck with that in a game with more radar and CV's... Complete waste of time in most situations to lower your DPM and lose the skill completely when you need it.   

Swift in Silence in Halland increases your reload from 2 seconds to 2.1. The hit to HE DPM is from 210k to 200k. In exchange you can get with the speed signal 39.7 knots, good enough to outrun many opponents, even more so if you have Engine Boost active. When not detected and provided you play more like a stealthy torpedo boat it's pretty helpful to be honest.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts
32 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Swift in Silence in Halland increases your reload from 2 seconds to 2.1. The hit to HE DPM is from 210k to 200k. In exchange you can get with the speed signal 39.7 knots, good enough to outrun many opponents, even more so if you have Engine Boost active. When not detected and provided you play more like a stealthy torpedo boat it's pretty helpful to be honest.

You can hardly outrun a Georgia and if spotted by a CV or caught in radar you got nothing.  The skill takes away more than it gives out.  Ends do not justify the means for 4pts and it still needs to revamped.  I can't think of another skill that has two downsides in all of the rework for little bit of speed increase.  This is not a skill and it takes away more than it gives when you need it.  They should consider reducing it then to 5% increase but allowing it stay on full time.  You need speed when in need, to get out of danger... those that say it can get you into position fast and that is a plus side obviously have a 2.0 concealment and think that somehow people are just going to pretend you have not been spotted.  I guess your last location never shows up on the mini map.  I would say that getting somewhere while dark just a few seconds faster does not matter.... This skill needs to be changed.   

PS - BTW I get your point about the DPM.... but 2.0 to 2.1 DPM can make a whole hell of a difference when fighting a smaland, or Friesland or a number of good gun boats.  I don't know how many countless encounters it has come down to the last shot on who wins or dies and that little bit of DPM matters... Then you think well I got this great speed skill that can get me out of trouble well no you don't if your fighting and spotted.  In perfect world where I don't have to fight other DD's, there is no CV, and all the radar ships decided to spec Hydro for that game this skill would be fine... but you and I know that is scenario is not going to happen.  The skill would be fine left on... take away something I get it... and let play.  But in all honestly this skill was not thought out very well in my humble opinion.     

Edited by Llaredrum
  • Meh 1

[SIAS]
Members
31 posts

The way Swift in Silence works is as dumb as if the Swift Fish perk all of sudden slowed down torps once they were spotted.   Think about that for a minute and maybe some of you will get what I am saying.  Some might come back and say yeah but Dead Eye works sort of the same way when spotted.  Very true and a good point and I would say rightfully so considering most people do really like the game play with less options to Brawl, and the perk is either on or off it doesn't add 5% more reload time (thinking about it... it probably should LOL... I hate what that perk has done).  A little bit of speed in a DD is not going to change the game like Dead Eye did.  Torps going from 90 knots to 95 knots was a nice bump but it didn't change the game nor will allowing dd's to get a % in speed increase full time.

What is more of a threat?  My Halland going 2.5 - 3.0 knots faster or my torps going 5 knots faster for a measly 2 point skill?  3 knots faster in most dd's... Oh Lord help us all!  The apocalypse is here!  The sky is falling!  DD's going a few knots faster to utilize a 4 point skill!  The game will never be the same!        

Edited by Llaredrum