You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

New Mex new favorite ship...

19 comments in this topic

[SGSS]
Members
6,509 posts

Last game I fired 6 shots before that match was over but it was a Dev on Dallas.  Other games its 100k.  At least 2 cits per game. NM feasts on cruisers.

Even against NC I can get 10-12k a hit.

It turns tight but you not will be going any were fast.

Edited by jags_domain
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,290 posts
20,158 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

It turns tight but you will be going any were fast

:fish_glass:Proof reading is OP, OP but yes, she is slow. I started with the US BBs, then the German, then Japanese and then WG started making the better BBs.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles

I really liked it, but I sold it when I got Arizona in an SC.

I recently got California in an SC as well, and it plays similarly, I like it as well 

Edited by Skpstr

[F4E]
Members
344 posts
11,808 battles

New Mex is not a bad ship...but the RNG on the dispersion can be frustrating.  You can have beautiful shots that just devastate the target and then you get salvos that just leave you sputtering in helpless frustration...

[-TFK-]
Members
9 posts
7,162 battles

I've had some great games in the New Mexico. Today it was the one who gave me my first 5 destroyed game since I've been playing. I thought it would be the one to break 100k damage (I have been in the 90's with it) but the Colorado took that honor. The NM is really quite a tank of a ship.

Edited by BigGD3
adjust last sentence

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
286 posts
2,097 battles
On 2/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, jags_domain said:

Last game I fired 6 shots before that match was over but it was a Dev on Dallas.  Other games its 100k.  At least 2 cits per game. NM feasts on cruisers.

Totally agree, she is such a great shotgun of a BB. She was my favorite ship of the line until I got to a NC and moduled her up for concealment. Now with deadeye, I'm curious what the NM would look like. The Colorado is extremely painful after getting out of a NM, so enjoy NM while you still can. 

As for RNG of her shells, don't worry it gets even more obvious floaty American AP is highly undependable when you're in a Colorado. The NC is slightly better, but I still remember cursing WG when I couldn't citadel a broadsiding Atago at 7km with a full salvo aimed correctly at her waterline. BB AP RNG just keeps getting worse from this tier on up, which is why everyone should just play DDs or cruisers.... 

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts

i guess if there is any ship i've played that i can't stand, Colorado would be it...  just after I get NC they added the split... at colorado ffs... well at least I figure if i don't like colorado I won't like what follows up in the slow line... so i can completely ignore that they exist.

[CAAT]
Members
2,576 posts
5,678 battles
On 2/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, Skpstr said:

I really liked it, but I sold it when I got Arizona in an SC.

I recently got California in an SC as well, and it plays similarly, I like it as well 

If you like Arizona (like I do, I love my standard-type BBs ;P), you'll like California's playstyle, yes, because California is effectively an Arizona at Tier 7 with extended range and much better AA. Which is fine, but her reload is the same as New Mexico's (34.2s) at Tier 7 though, which is QUITE slow for the tier (30s seems to be about the standard reload time at Tier 7). Meanwhile, you have King George V at Tier 7 with a 25s reload on her 10 14in guns, and NOW we have Hyuga also at Tier 7(still in testing, subject to change) with 12 14in guns at 26s reload...while also getting the main battery reload booster gimmick. California's reload needs some love from Wargaming. Even WoWs Legends has California at 30s reload!!!

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles
2 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

If you like Arizona (like I do, I love my standard-type BBs ;P), you'll like California's playstyle, yes, because California is effectively an Arizona at Tier 7 with extended range and much better AA. Which is fine, but her reload is the same as New Mexico's (34.2s) at Tier 7 though, which is QUITE slow for the tier (30s seems to be about the standard reload time at Tier 7). Meanwhile, you have King George V at Tier 7 with a 25s reload on her 10 14in guns, and NOW we have Hyuga also at Tier 7(still in testing, subject to change) with 12 14in guns at 26s reload...while also getting the main battery reload booster gimmick. California's reload needs some love from Wargaming. Even WoWs Legends has California at 30s reload!!!

It's odd, because back when I was grinding them, New Mex was 34 seconds, and Fuso 30. Then it switched for T7, with Colorado getting 30 sec., and Nagato getting 34.

Of course, back then, there was only Colorado and Nagato, and Nagato was clearly superior.

[CAAT]
Members
2,576 posts
5,678 battles
13 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It's odd, because back when I was grinding them, New Mex was 34 seconds, and Fuso 30. Then it switched for T7, with Colorado getting 30 sec., and Nagato getting 34.

Of course, back then, there was only Colorado and Nagato, and Nagato was clearly superior.

Yeah, but just a sec, isn't Nagato at 30s reload though now as well? I'm pretty sure it is.

[_BDA_]
Members
710 posts
10,874 battles

I love New Mexico because she can eat contemporaries at close quarters and go looking for seconds.  I rotate her skipper between New Mex and Arizona and they never fail to please.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles
21 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Yeah, but just a sec, isn't Nagato at 30s reload though now as well? I'm pretty sure it is.

It is now yeah.

Pretty sure the buff was to stave off power creep.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,728 battles
11 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

I love New Mexico because she can eat contemporaries at close quarters and go looking for seconds.  I rotate her skipper between New Mex and Arizona and they never fail to please.

Agreed. And with 12 barrels, it's not usually a waste of time to put up the spotter for long-range.

I only got rid of New Mex because I had just got Arizona in an SC, and I needed the captain for a higher tier BB, and credits for the upgrades. 

And yeah, they both always do pretty decent. 

Members
1,130 posts
3,282 battles
19 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

I've had 100s of games in me NM. Have a 60% wr in her. I do find her accuracy at anything longer than 12k to be laughable... Even a beached,  sideon Omaha at 8k the other day skillfully avoided 2 full salvos by not moving...

It's secondaries are absolutely woeful. The eng on those things is comical,  5% hit rate if lucky...

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,804 posts
4,790 battles

I like New Mexico a lot.  I have my Bad Bote outfitted with a maximum tank build for Op Aegis. Works fine elsewhere too.

[WOLF3]
Members
682 posts
12,847 battles
On 2/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, jags_domain said:

I love the turning circle. You can loiter like a king and change stances easy almost like a brit dd.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
2,576 posts
5,678 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

I've had 100s of games in me NM. Have a 60% wr in her. I do find her accuracy at anything longer than 12k to be laughable... Even a beached,  sideon Omaha at 8k the other day skillfully avoided 2 full salvos by not moving...

It's secondaries are absolutely woeful. The eng on those things is comical,  5% hit rate if lucky...

Darnit, now you're making me wonder what I can do with them, I mean they have 21mm pen, so they're at least usable from THAT aspect. Range is pretty short though at 7.5km. And the accuracy is nothing to write home about AT ALL...nevermind lols XD

[CAAT]
Members
2,576 posts
5,678 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

It is now yeah.

Pretty sure the buff was to stave off power creep.

Now if only Wargaming would buff California's main battery reload to 30s to stave off that powercreep... <3