Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SuperUnicumInBed

I citadeled a tier V Russian BB twice with Konigsberg HE

8 comments in this topic

[ROXY]
Members
386 posts
1,617 battles

20210226_135721_PGSC105-Konigsberg_05_Ring.wowsreplay

At the beginning of the game I was farming their Pyotr Veliky, and citadelede it twice with HE. 

I know I lost the match and made errors in gameplay,  but thought it was interesting to share.

Edited by YAMATO_DIFFERENCE

[KWF]
Members
5,754 posts
6,994 battles

Can't watch vid at the moment but here's what happens. Konigsberg's built in HE have 38mm of penetration. Pyotr's deck armor is 38mm. So my guess is a penetration of the deck leading to citadels.

[CVA16]
Members
6,160 posts
18,991 battles
35 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Can't watch vid at the moment but here's what happens. Konigsberg's built in HE have 38mm of penetration. Pyotr's deck armor is 38mm. So my guess is a penetration of the deck leading to citadels.

So there is no other horizontal armor over the citadel? Or does HE attack each armor layer independently? So a series of five- 20mm plates (100mm total armor) would all be penetrated by  that Konigsberg HE?

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,374 battles

The Pyotr has a M A S S I V E citadel, and the reason these wonky things happen is because part of it is completely exposed to the outside between the back turrets.

Capture.thumb.PNG.bb0ee6cf065637afdae74aa5bc8f869e.PNG

The area you can see that's uncolored between the lower and upper deck armor is all exposed citadel roof that's 38mm, so Pyotr can be HE cit with just about any HE capable of going through 38mm plating if it hits in that area.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
29,824 posts
25,770 battles

The thinnest armor in the center of V Pyotr Velikiy is 38mm deck armor.  You go through all that, there is still a 25mm Citadel deck.

34 minutes ago, RulerOdin said:

You can actually see something similar happen in one of Yuro's videos, where he citadels an Izmail with Loewenhardt's HE DBs.

Plain link: https://youtu.be/FhBtPtkGbZk?t=195

It should start at 3:15.

Lowenbrau's HE Bombs have 68mm HE Pen.

shot-21-02-26-12-15-30-0003.jpg

Ranger's HE Bombs have 53mm.

Tier Vi Izmail has worse top side protection than Tier V Pyotr Velikiy.  She has only 26mm deck armor and 20mm Citadel deck armor.  Russian BBs are super vulnerable to air attacks.  Even Kremlin will take it up the a** from air attacks.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CANUK]
Members
90 posts
5,351 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier Vi Izmail has worse top side protection than Tier V Pyotr Velikiy.  She has only 26mm deck armor and 20mm Citadel deck armor.  Russian BBs are super vulnerable to air attacks.  Even Kremlin will take it up the a** from air attacks.

I'm looking at Izmail right now in port and it says she has 50 mm of citadel deck armor, which is just barely visible in the cut outs. Of course, that's still less than the Ranger and Loewenhardt's penetration, but it's quite a bit more than 20 mm.

19 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The thinnest armor in the center of V Pyotr Velikiy is 38mm deck armor.  You go through all that, there is still a 25mm Citadel deck.

That only applies to the majority of the ship. If you look in port by the rear turret there's a portion of the citadel deck which is entirely exposed, but whose armor is thickened to 38 mm. I remember getting citadels myself in some German cruisers when fighting a Velikiy.

Sign in to follow this