You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
n_pro

USS The Sullivans in danger of sinking

26 comments in this topic

[DDOG]
Beta Testers
42 posts
6,286 battles

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/uss-the-sullivans-is-in-danger-of-sinking/71-eb9c6223-3986-4427-96c2-e966fbbdaad3?

USS The Sullivans is in danger of sinking

Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park officials launch $100,000 fund drive for emergency repairs
5cd97dbd-5581-485b-b10a-e1d56b7c74ec_750
Credit: Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park
Author: Peter Gallivan
Published: 11:30 AM EST February 26, 2021
Updated: 11:30 AM EST February 26, 2021
BUFFALO, N.Y. — It is a centerpiece of the largest inland naval museum in the country, and now the elements have pushed USS The Sullivans to the brink of sinking. The 78 year old Fletcher-Class destroyer is taking on water through several leaks and listing noticeably to its port side. 

The Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park is using pumps to remove water from the ship; however they are struggling to keep up and more damage could occur says park president and CEO Paul Marzello. “We expect another four to six weeks of tough weather ahead, so there is potential for even more hull damage,"  he says.

The Naval Park has a plan for long-term repair to the hull of The Sullivans that was scheduled to begin in the spring and summer of 2021. With a cost of more than $1,000,000, the Naval Park is awaiting final funding from a number of sources. At this point the ship requires $100,000 in emergency repairs just to keep her afloat until they can begin the long-term repairs.  

“Routine hull maintenance is required with ships of this age,” added Marzello. “The harsh Buffalo winter weather has severely damaged the hull of USS The Sullivans below the waterline so there is significant water coming into the ship. She is currently listing to port quite noticeably. If we cannot repair the hull and stop the water, she will sink.”

The park is asking the public for $100,000 in support through their "All Hands On Deck" initiative that was started to help offset the losses suffered through the pandemic. The Park, which welcomes more than 70,000 visitors in a typical year is a major tourist attraction for the region. The Park saw a significant decline in visitors and revenue due to the pandemic restrictions. In July of 2020 the Naval Park launched the fundraising campaign.  Given the urgent need to pay for the emergency hull repairs, the Naval Park is extending the All Hands On Deck campaign and asking for donations from the general public. 

[PVE]
Members
10,925 posts
18,908 battles

Flex Paste, easy peasy.

P.S. I can tell you down voters were never a Hull Tech or Boatswains Mate, who of course, would use anything that works in an emergency and generally can understand a joke when they see one.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[DDOG]
Beta Testers
42 posts
6,286 battles
7 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Is it possible to donate from outside of the US?

I believe so.

[KIVA]
Members
161 posts

Sadly, she's not the only museum ship in the US in danger of sinking at her moorings. What these ships need is to be out of the water- or else nature will take her toll, sooner or later.

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles
20 hours ago, n_pro said:

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/uss-the-sullivans-is-in-danger-of-sinking/71-eb9c6223-3986-4427-96c2-e966fbbdaad3?

USS The Sullivans is in danger of sinking

Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park officials launch $100,000 fund drive for emergency repairs

<snipped for brevity>
 Given the urgent need to pay for the emergency hull repairs, the Naval Park is extending the All Hands On Deck campaign and asking for donations from the general public. 

I donated.
Every little bit helps.
Thanks for getting the word out, @n_pro.
Semper Fidelis.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,836 posts
28,435 battles

I remember reading about leaks in the Sullivans about 2 years ago.  Closure of the ship definitely has curtailed the funds coming in to fix her.  

I gave to help save her. 

@Hapa_Fodder any chance that WG can get involved in helping to save her, like we did for the Texas?

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles
20 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Is it possible to donate from outside of the US?

The donation via the park's website offers an option to use PayPal.  
If I recall correctly, PayPal can be used internationally?
https://buffalonavalpark.org/support-us/donate/

image_2021-02-27_103329.thumb.png.fed6365f9d8087d1da6282c40b6e4e19.png

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Indeed it is.

For those interested, you have to go to the official site here:
https://buffalonavalpark.org/support-us/donate/

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a Paypal link which also supports credit cards.

Yep.  I was gonna post sooner, but got distracted by my wife and our ferrets.
image_2021-02-27_103510.thumb.png.3ba94ea8c59399b5b0317dcad0d0b3b7.png

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles

USS The Sullivans

The Buffalo Naval Park’s decommissioned Fletcher-class Destroyer, DD-537, ..."

"... her motto “We Stick Together!”

https://buffalonavalpark.org/exhibits/uss-the-sullivans/

Beta Testers
87 posts
3,872 battles

Any chance Wargaming could do an event similar to the Texas to help fund its repair?

[GWG]
Members
7,398 posts
14,187 battles

Fortunately, this is in FRESH water.  Deterioration is not as rapid here. 
But the Fletchers were not meant to be ice-breakers either.

They failed to take arctic protection measures to prevent hull damage. 
A couple thousand dollars and some elbow grease would have been all that was needed.
And that's for the static padding method...

Here's another way.
Winter Agitation - Good Old Boat

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,809 battles
On 2/27/2021 at 7:35 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

and our ferrets.

You have Ferrets?

[WHEE]
Members
126 posts
3,654 battles

What an amazing opportunity for a certain talented software development company with a penchant for fundraising for good causes to put The Sullivans in game and sell it to raise some $$$ to help a ship in distress

Cc’ing @Hapa_Fodder because reasons :cap_horn:

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,307 battles

Just spitballing an idea @Hapa_Fodder, how about making a The Sullivans perma camo for Fletcher and donating a portion to the rescue efforts? (or all, but I realise WG exists to turn a profit)

I already own a perma camo for Fletcher but I'd be willing to spend cash on a second one if WG did something like that.

Shouldn't be too labor intensive to code, since the ship is already in the game. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles
5 hours ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

You have Ferrets?

My wife and I have two ferrets.

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

Just spitballing an idea @Hapa_Fodder, how about making a The Sullivans perma camo for Fletcher and donating a portion to the rescue efforts? (or all, but I realise WG exists to turn a profit)

I already own a perma camo for Fletcher but I'd be willing to spend cash on a second one if WG did something like that.

Shouldn't be too labor intensive to code, since the ship is already in the game. 

I think a Flag would be quicker and could be mounted on any ship in game.

Even faster to donate, though.  My wife and I did so.

[WPORT]
Members
8,130 posts
13,173 battles

Some good news on the topic.
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/west-herr-automotive-donates-50-000-to-keep-uss-sullivans-afloat/article_6d4de8d4-7953-11eb-839f-d3229b560aa5.html

West Herr Automotive donates $50,000 to keep USS Sullivans afloat

The USS The Sullivans Taking on Water (copy)

The USS The Sullivans at Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park in Buffalo Friday, Feb. 26, 2021. The decommissioned Fletcher-class destroyer is taking on water and seems to be listing on its Port (left) side.

James P. McCoy / Buffalo News

The West Herr Automotive Group has donated $50,000 to a new fund to save USS The Sullivans, a sinking World War II-era destroyer, the company said in a Saturday statement.

On Friday, officials with the Buffalo & Erie County Naval and Military Park, where USS The Sullivans is docked, revealed that the 78-year-old ship had sustained $1 million in hull damages and is taking on water. The park has since launched a $100,000 fundraising campaign to diffuse the cost of emergency repairs. By Friday evening, the Park had already raised a quarter of that amount, WBFO reported.

USS Sullivans, which saw action in World War II, the Korean War and the Cuban Missile Crisis, is named for five brothers and Navy sailors who were killed in action when torpedoes struck their ship. The destroyer was donated to the Naval Park in 1977. In a statement, West Herr chief executive Scott Bieler said the company "immediately felt compelled to help" when it learned about the situation.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,809 battles
53 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

My wife and I have two ferrets.

:cap_like:

• Thanks 1

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,307 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think a Flag would be quicker and could be mounted on any ship in game.

Even faster to donate, though.  My wife and I did so.

Good point about the flag, and like my wife and I were discussing straight donations as well.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[REVY]
Members
2,636 posts
14,455 battles
On 2/26/2021 at 9:02 PM, Wrath_Of_Deadguy said:

Sadly, she's not the only museum ship in the US in danger of sinking at her moorings. What these ships need is to be out of the water- or else nature will take her toll, sooner or later.

• Thanks 1