You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zkyzytuz

TXAA new graphics option

97 comments in this topic

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles

WG implemented the TXAA graphic option. It is nice, but i have some questions:

- FXAA is a "economic" (low GPU impact feature) kind of  shader AA. Can be a bit blurry sometimes, but it offers a very reasonable AA with little hardware cost, good for weak or mid GPUs.

- MSAA is  multisampling AA, offers a very good AA, but  it requires a mid to stronger GPU.

- TXAA is multisampling AA + shader AA , offers a mixture of both worlds, in an optimized way.  It would be a performance and quality compromise between MSAA and TXAA.

First question: What is the point of allowing the use of TXAA and MSAA at the same time?

I did some tests (2080 TI, 4K),  setting TSAA and MSAA high at the same time, but I don't notice a difference in the image quality and  i notice a small drop in frames compared with TSAA and MSAA off.

Apparently one thing cancels out the other, but there is a small loss of frames. Small, but there is.

Second question: Does anyone have another experience, with other resolutions and GPUs? 

:fish_book:

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

i have a 2070s... play at 1920x1080 on a 60hz screen,  my normal setup is multisample 8x, FXAA: High with TXAA off.  the moment i turn on TXAA everything becomes a blurry fuzzy mess and appears out of focus.

This my standard setup: which looks great i think

image.thumb.png.ed3789188ba96e1b12fb6e44bfe6adad.png

[L_I]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

I’ve noticed the same thing with TXAA blurring the image at 1080p.  Instead of blurring, I’d call it softening the hard edges of all geometries.

However,  the fidelity fund cas upscale reduces the load on your gpu.  I think it’s the equivalent rtx ray tracing dlss algorithm by amd and it works on older nvidia cards.  It dropped my gpu usage from 90% to 60% while maintaining FPS.

try it and see, probably the most useful grafx upgrades in recent memory.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

oo i am seeing that.. i will have to try it.  here is a before and after:

sitting in fjords with scharnhorst at my settings above:

image.png.aa6fd850d45997f24585b3c64572748b.png

and with FidelityFX CAS Upscale enabled..    will have to try actually in battle tonight.  i think i see a slight degrade in quality after turning this on however

image.png.458351f170ba00d504f1c076d309216f.png

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,260 posts
11,883 battles

If I was a nefarious board member of this title. I would use the players processing power to mine cryptocurrency on the sly.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,818 posts
4,278 battles
2 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

If I was a nefarious board member of this title. I would use the players processing power to mine cryptocurrency on the sly.

With the potato hardware this game is designed for I doubt there's much capacity left over for mining on most players' GPUs. I guess it's good you're not on WG's board though...

Members
973 posts
4,160 battles

Thanks OP.  This is a good thread.  I know very little about graphics settings and haven't the patience for poking around the various settings.  (And when I mean 'very little', I'm not kidding.  My first thought upon seeing the thread title was, "I know the Texas has great AA, but why would it need it's own graphics?")

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

i have a 2070s... play at 1920x1080 on a 60hz screen,  my normal setup is multisample 8x, FXAA: High with TXAA off.  the moment i turn on TXAA everything becomes a blurry fuzzy mess and appears out of focus.

This my standard setup: which looks great i think

image.thumb.png.ed3789188ba96e1b12fb6e44bfe6adad.png

Curious... All sources says: TXAA blurry LESS than FXAA.

Could you test TXAA without FXAA? (Keeping MSAA 8X)

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
1 hour ago, Zkyzytuz said:

Curious... All sources says: TXAA blurry LESS than FXAA.

Could you test TXAA without FXAA? (Keeping MSAA 8X)

TXAA with FXAA off makes me think i have the wrong glasses on...   very little edge definition and blurry, looks ok if you are zoomed in real close

these tests are being done in port not sure if that has any impact.. i am not paying attention to the hud which looks fine regardless of setting

dunno if it will look the same in here but here goes...

shot-21_02.26_13_38.53-0875.thumb.jpg.3b12fb06400430d6737f6cb9b8508b8e.jpg

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

2 more this time taken with the ship in exact same position 1st is my settings, 2nd is as requested

shot-21.02.26_13.44.21-0640.jpg

shot-21.02.26_13.44.43-0882.jpg

• Cool 1

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles
16 minutes ago, SKurj said:

2 more this time taken with the ship in exact same position 1st is my settings, 2nd is as requested

shot-21.02.26_13.44.21-0640.jpg

shot-21.02.26_13.44.43-0882.jpg

Yeah, a lot of blur on second image.

In my case, ican´t see difference.

MSAA 4x, FXAA High NO TXAA:

image.thumb.png.e5a4c335ec58b90f4c65cfa87d44dbfc.png

Edited by Zkyzytuz

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
1 minute ago, Zkyzytuz said:

Yeah, a lot of blur on second image.

My case:

MSAA 4x, FXAA Max, NO TXAA

MSAA 4x, FXAA Max, with TXAA.

image.thumb.png.acb4b0e09e147fe7c1c904558180f0a6.png

I can´t see diference. 

can you post a screenshot of your gfx settings as well. 

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles

MSAA 4x, FXAA High with TXAA:

image.thumb.png.8fc95b61c06b31e38e726d59b3b0665c.png

Edited by Zkyzytuz

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles

Sorry, the forum did not let me post both images in the same post, it warned me that the limit was exceeded.

i can´t see any difference. 

Edited by Zkyzytuz

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles
17 minutes ago, SKurj said:

can you post a screenshot of your gfx settings as well. 

imagem_2021-02-26_161327.png

Obs: 

Alta = High
Muito Alto = Very High

Edited by Zkyzytuz

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
12 minutes ago, scoobrz said:

So... what options should we be using?

All of them?

whatever works for you ... i am happy with my settings,   Zkyzytuz gets different results than I do, though using higher res and a different card

[L_I]
Members
12 posts
5,268 battles

I play on 2 systems.  One at 1080p @24" on a 1660 super.  With all settings on and at high and youtube, I am hitting around 75 FPS.  Images are blurry.

The other system is at 4k @55" on a 3070.  With all settings on high, around 72 FPS and all of the surfaces are sharp and beautiful.

In this case, I may need to do some adjustments at 1080p to reduce the blurriness.  I'm not sure if it's a bad blurry tho, could almost be seen as softer edges.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
23 minutes ago, scoobrz said:

I play on 2 systems.  One at 1080p @24" on a 1660 super.  With all settings on and at high and youtube, I am hitting around 75 FPS.  Images are blurry.

The other system is at 4k @55" on a 3070.  With all settings on high, around 72 FPS and all of the surfaces are sharp and beautiful.

In this case, I may need to do some adjustments at 1080p to reduce the blurriness.  I'm not sure if it's a bad blurry tho, could almost be seen as softer edges.

thats all personal preference of my images above the one with all maxed except post processing and with TXAA and FX CAS off is the best image quality in my opinion for me.(@ 1080p) the soft edges thing is over done on the others imo

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,494 posts

I run three MSI 680GTX with everything on high. I noticed this past two updates the temperatures are gaining about 15 C over normal.

I already am planning on about a 3000 dollar expense in replacing all three video cards. They are 15 years old and will be set on the shelf for spare. 3000 dollars should cover any three video cards in retail. As it is I can run some rendering in 4K, stumble and stall at 6K and slideshow 8K content. With the newer cards and a overclocking in the i7 3930 6 core into the 4 gig realm it should come out ok.

Edited by xHeavy

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
6 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I run three MSI 680GTX with everything on high. I noticed this past two updates the temperatures are gaining about 15 C over normal.

I already am planning on about a 3000 dollar expense in replacing all three video cards. They are 15 years old and will be set on the shelf for spare. 3000 dollars should cover any three video cards in retail. As it is I can run some rendering in 4K, stumble and stall at 6K and slideshow 8K content. With the newer cards and a overclocking in the i7 3930 6 core into the 4 gig realm it should come out ok.

i was gonna say they sound old...  ati cards drove me away from multiple video cards in a system...  I ran 2x ... i can't even remember the model now, but once you got into a heavy game the fan noise was just silly... nvm the power consumption of those things...  i went to single nVidia after that.  I think my brother still has the cards somewhere though

is the fidelity FXCas option available to you in the gfx options? it may help bring those temps down abit in the meantime

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles
9 hours ago, scoobrz said:

So... what options should we be using?

All of them?

Well... this was actually my original question!   :cap_haloween:

But, like Skurj said, whatever works for you ...people gets different results, because different hardware and resolutions.

Ideally, the wg would better explain HOW they implemented the different options, and give some tips.

Wg, where are you?

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,963 battles
9 hours ago, scoobrz said:

A warning: You should probably have reached the artificial fps limit that WG place on the configuration file engine_config.xml :

Open the file with notepad, and you will find this line:

<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>

replace the value with a very large value, so you will see the real fps limit your hardware can achieve.

<maxFrameRate>300</maxFrameRate>