You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Young_Gatsu

Some things that will NEVER be fixed

38 comments in this topic

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles

Hello WG, please read this and think about it.

1. Ability to lock a rear turret on a BB independent of the front turrets. For the amount of time it takes to rotate turrets this seems like something that should've been implemented a long time ago, yet here we are in 2021 with no real solution. 

2. No more destroyed armaments. No other shooter that I can think of makes it so you can't fire your weapon. Destruction of armaments makes this so. Why would you make this a mechanic? It seems sadistic.

3. The lag time between stopping and reversing. Please make this faster. Especially on DDs. CL's don't even get me started, ahem Mino.

4. Being able to team up with players post match. Rocket league has this neat feature where you can link up with other players after a match has ended. When you are playing a WOWs match and the team has good chemistry it would be nice if we had the ability to quickly Div up with those players and join another match together.

5.The flat ribbons that you see in WOWs legends are really cool and minimal. I usually turn these on in my mod pack. But in the new patch my mods don't work and I haven't been able to get an update. Can you just make this an option in the graphics settings? Seems pretty simple, and they look way better imho.

6. Radar, torp, and hydro range should all be visualized in the battle UI. 

K thanks!

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,849 posts
4,285 battles
19 minutes ago, Young_Gatsu said:

1. Ability to lock a rear turret on a BB independent of the front turrets. For the amount of time it takes to rotate turrets this seems like something that should've been implemented a long time ago, yet here we are in 2021 with no real solution. 

Eh, maybe. I've never really had an issue with this. I just don't think it's useful enough to justify the effort that would take. Not opposed though.

2. No more destroyed armaments. No other shooter that I can think of makes it so you can't fire your weapon. Destruction of armaments makes this so. Why would you make this a mechanic? It seems sadistic.

You have multiple armaments, almost never do ALL of them get disabled. You have other options. It adds strategy, you can purposely aim for a gun turret to try and knock it out. Realistic and adds gameplay depth, I like it.

3. The lag time between stopping and reversing. Please make this faster. Especially on DDs. CL's don't even get me started, ahem Mino.

Uh, these aren't tanks. These are ships weighing thousands of tons, they don't turn on a dime. And their acceleration is already massively boosted over real life. They're not meant to be constantly shifted between forward and reverse. Those are the characteristics, learn to play with them.

4. Being able to team up with players post match. Rocket league has this neat feature where you can link up with other players after a match has ended. When you are playing a WOWs match and the team has good chemistry it would be nice if we had the ability to quickly Div up with those players and join another match together.

Agree with this. Maybe still have game chat on the post battle results screen. Plenty of times I'd like to chat with other players after the match ends. Definitely would be some salt there after games, but think it's a good idea.

5.The flat ribbons that you see in WOWs legends are really cool and minimal. I usually turn these on in my mod pack. But in the new patch my mods don't work and I haven't been able to get an update. Can you just make this an option in the graphics settings? Seems pretty simple, and they look way better imho.

Everyone likes different things, I don't love or hate the ribbons we have now, there just kind of there. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but YMMV.

All these ranges displayable on the minimap. Not really sure why you would want them on the screen in front of you, just weird lines all the time or something. Easily enough to look at the minimap and get the info there.

K thanks!

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles

1) While this would be nice or at least the option to park a turret in the parking position I think the game engine has issues with this.

2) Destroyed armaments are part of every game where the vehicles are the main star. The rate that we lose them is minuscule compared to real life where losing all ability to respond to the enemy long before sinking is common, look at the Bismarck and Yamato for good examples.

3) That time is actually drastically compressed already, even the smallest ships are around 1000 tons or 2,000,000 pounds.

4) You can open a private chat and create a division. While probably not as seamless as other games it works.

5) Your mod will catch up. They may add UI options like that eventually but it would be a low priority project.

6) It is for the ships with them. You just have to know or have a good idea how far away to stay from spotted radar, torp, or hydro ships. There are mods that show the gun, torpedo, and even speed of ships but they generally use a default value that may not match what they are actually using.

Members
880 posts
54 minutes ago, Young_Gatsu said:

you can buff your turret speed via "grease the gears" or in the equipment section of your ship....your guns take "X" AMOUNT of time to reload anyway...so if you keep your turret 180 degree speed as close as you can to your reload speed  you should be firing pretty good...in my opinion locking a turret wouldnt be that great..

"grease the gears " might not be necessary on all bbs 

dont want to get into all the other stuff ..its game time

Edited by arch4random
no reason

Members
4,138 posts
44,199 battles

for the following...

1. Would create complications for some players if by some chance they forget to unlock #3 turret and need it pointing the other side. WG kept it simple. 

2. It is not sadistic when there is slot #1 that gives a player a choice to protect secondaries or main armaments as an upgrade. Overmatching a BB turret and rendering it broken is a strategy. Albeit, it does make a player laugh like Dr. Evil after successfully doing so.

3. The larger the ship, the larger the delay in engine shift from forward to aft based on displacement. Yeah, some cruisers fancy the throttle jockey, but WG did adjust that on DM. It is a video game and some creative license was applied to some of the realism. Because real world speed changes would be more cumbersome. 

4. While this is a nice idea, it would completely circumvent MM and Randoms PvP. It could easily be abused with one epic sync drop. LOL(nice try)

5. They say the more fruit salad you have on, the more attention you get. Yeah, Nelson realized that on the deck of the HMS Victory when a Sniper picked him off while he was wearing his medals. He died later. 

6. Hydro, vibrating water mermaids jumping out onto rocks with their Jubblies showing? Sure. Radar, every DD suddenly has popcorn coming out of their bridge. That would be hilarious. Torpedo range is on mini map, but it is also represented as the edge of the green wedge that you point the torpedo tubes.

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles

Thank you for all of the thoughtful input on my recommendations.

I agree with most of the feedback, however since artistic license has already been implemented on high tonnage ships, I still think that adding a reverse speed buff would greatly enhance DD and CL throttle jockey playstyles. I can always learn how to adapt and make my playstyle fit within the current game, but while these forums exist it never hurts to drop a suggestion. Just sayin, reverse speed buff on DDs would be very fun.

7. This is pretty blue sky but hear me out: I've noticed many matches that end bc of points while there are still plenty of targets on the field. So my idea is some kinda sudden death mode where the team that already has won by points retains the win but still lets the remaining players duke it out for more xp and such. It would keep the action up as well which goes a long way in a game where engagements tend to happen towards the end and this would be an opportunity to capitalize on more pens.

Edited by Young_Gatsu

Members
857 posts
44 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That time is actually drastically compressed already, even the smallest ships are around 1000 tons or 2,000,000 pounds

And this one just because its awesome:

Edited by Farm_Fresh_Eggs

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles

8. Oh and some kind of XP gain for assists when a ship is taken out. Esp if you get a flood or a fire. This might already exist in some way or shape, now Im just spit balling.

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles
41 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

And this one just because its awesome:

Even a portion of these fx would be epic in game.

[TIMT]
Members
1,404 posts
4,940 battles
1 hour ago, Young_Gatsu said:

They are, on the minimap. Also, torpedo range stops where the green bar ends. You can further look at the range indicator to see how far out you are looking and compare that to the range of your ordnance.

Heck, there are even mods where you can turn on radar/hydro/torp/any-range-whatsoever for any ship spotted. It gets quite cluttered, but it exists.

Members
191 posts
71 battles
2 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

If you want to shoot the rear turret, there are mechanics for this

Goldeneye - Guns would often jam and need repairs.  Other games have this as well

K thanks!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

i'd love the rear turret lock .. that's the only one in that list i'd like.

oh and give us the option to disable ALL chat while retaining team chat weegee!!  

[WOLFC]
Members
2,591 posts
11,113 battles
6 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

8. Oh and some kind of XP gain for assists when a ship is taken out. Esp if you get a flood or a fire. This might already exist in some way or shape, now Im just spit balling.

This is already accounted for with the way XP is awarded in general for damaging ships. XP is awarded for damage based on percentage of a target’s health (meaning 1000 damage to a DD gives more than the same damage to a BB, for example), with extra XP awarded if the damage is done to higher tier ships. The bonus for sinking a target is extra and equivalent to dealing a fraction of the target’s HP in damage, 10% IIRC.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles

I still think that adding a reverse speed buff would greatly enhance DD and CL throttle jockey playstyles. 

It would, but how many people think that enhancing that playstyle would enhance overall gameplay?

The ships already accelerate quickly. RN CLs more than most.

[VOP]
Members
963 posts
7 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

Isn't there a propulsion module that helps this?

The US Iowa-class battleships were powered by eight fuel oil boilers and four propellers, delivering 212,000 shaft horsepower. In 1968, during a shakedown cruise, the Iowa-class USS New Jersey achieved a top speed of 35.2 knots (65.2 km/h) which it sustained for six hours. As part of a brutal test of the ship’s engines, the captain then ordered the ship to go instantly from “all ahead flank” to “all back emergency”. New Jersey took some two miles to come to a stop.

[VOP]
Members
963 posts

Thank you for all of the thoughtful input on my recommendations.

I agree with most of the feedback, however since artistic license has already been implemented on high tonnage ships, I still think that adding a reverse speed buff would greatly enhance DD and CL throttle jockey playstyles. I can always learn how to adapt and make my playstyle fit within the current game, but while these forums exist it never hurts to drop a suggestion. Just sayin, reverse speed buff on DDs would be very fun.

7. This is pretty blue sky but hear me out: I've noticed many matches that end bc of points while there are still plenty of targets on the field. So my idea is some kinda sudden death mode where the team that already has won by points retains the win but still lets the remaining players duke it out for more xp and such. It would keep the action up as well which goes a long way in a game where engagements tend to happen towards the end and this would be an opportunity to capitalize on more pens.

#7 would go against WG's desire to get people back in queues for another game. More games = more consumables used = more money for WG. Also, why would players on the losing team want to stay in the battle and let the winners just farm more damage from them? If the game was already declared as a loss but players forced to stay,  I am sure many would just exit to port. This would create AFK penalties and more grief.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
994 posts
8,034 battles

What do you mean a visual for hydro and radar in the UI? 

The only one I kind of agree with is #5 about the ribbons. Just so you know that mod got updated with slightly different ribbons. Still looks better than the generic ones and it's updated in aslain . 

Adding a turret lock seems fine but then again it can add a little bit more skill with adjusting it so it's ready in certain scenarios. 

The stuff about changing destroyer breaking and turrets becoming incapacitated, That makes the game a little less interesting. All these ships have their unique styles and stats. 

[FORM]
Members
310 posts
2,200 battles
8 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

Checkout Aslain's mods (which are all approved mods btw.) There are mini map mods that allow you to show a TON of information on the mini map that isn't there by default. https://aslain.com/index.php?/forum/27-english-language-section/

[TRETA]
Beta Testers
986 posts
15,974 battles

I do not have problems with this. And, i think that a "solution" is create another problem. But, your complaint is reasonable.

WHAT? I STRONG DISAGREE !!! That would be a step back!

Destruction of armaments is a very fine thing, and add realism.

I play lots of fligh simulators and the guns jam, guns broken by enemy fore, guns rum out of ammo and etc.

Lots of other games, guns can be destroyed or disabled.

And in WoWs, you have several weapons, not a single pistol or rifle that would rarely pop up in real life. Ship weapons are VERY OFTEN damaged or destroyed in real life.

I disagree. Ships are very heavy things, even a DD. No PT Boats in game.

Ok, this is good idea.

Well, ok. But not a issue for me.

They are, on the mini map. And there are mods to improve that.

But, on the main screen? That would be strange. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

Turret control independantly is not possible in this game, I would have used them and fought the ship far more effectively if I had local turret control. Set them each on a given bearing ready to engage a enemy in sequence and in less time than it takes to pull a 180 battle turn which is one of my ways to work around the turret traverse [edited].

It is standard to use a module to prevent destruction of guns etc. If you have no guns left you are a target and sunk. Even the mighty Bismarck had her guns battered into silence as the crews were maimed, killed or burned etc and trauma applied to them under turret armor until they cannot function anymore. And so the guns get silenced. When any enemy sees this they know the end is near for that ship.

I simply ram the ship into the island. Instant stop. Especially in the mino with smoke as a large DD. Problem solved. Its cheating in a way but it's the only way to get stopped. If I had to I'll ram a Bot and accept the two game tk penalty in order to force the ship to come around faster or get stopped in battle.

Thats called division. You can form a division in a map and keep going if you found playtime buddies who like you and do well together. Isnt that romatic. //tease. What I generally do when I run across really good teammates who for one reason or another did well with me or others they get added to contact list. What I dont do is bother them about the future game. We will see them again at some point.

So you used a mod. Awesome. I don't do mods. The game gives you whatever it gives you. If you like it great. Enjoy. If not? There are other games.

Torp is part of the outer circle when you are equipped with them. Sometimes they don't go out as far. Hydro is also listed on the ships that have them. And radar is well known among the few ships that have them (Alaska, Petro etc) If you are trying to say that you want infromation on a enemy ship and what it is carrying in those terms, use a ledger pad and write down the specific information. Refresh your memory and get better at learning which ships can do what and how far. Sometimes in battle its the difference between being able to deal with a enemy who is now right there and closing or getting sunk or detected etc and then sunk. The presence of radar ships in a game map whatever mode changes my early decisions at battle start. The presence of human carriers do the same thing. My resulting behavior with the ship in game may not fit the approved narrative or even comply with what is "Expected" its simply a self preservation and not getting detected or sunk early on. It will make a difference later on. As kirk once said in Star Trek Two after disabling the Reliant with her own ship codes from the fleet registry ":You gotta know how these starships work" to pull a win out of a no win scenario against Kahn.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,448 posts
8,165 battles
10 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

I've heard it mentioned a few times that without the already existing acceleration/deceleration buffs we have, it would take HMS Hood at least twenty minutes to reach full speed from a dead stop and likely longer than that to reach a stop without going full reverse. I'd say we have already broken the laws of physics more than enough as it is. Unless we want to do something like a Mass Effect crossover, I don't see an accel/deccel buff coming anytime soon.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

Members
865 posts
12 hours ago, Young_Gatsu said:

K thanks!

These are all things that I would consider low priority, especially compared to things like radar/hydro through islands. Ships are already able to start/stop way too fast considering how big these things are, and reducing that lag even further doesn't make sense.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,827 battles
12 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

You have multiple armaments, almost never do ALL of them get disabled. You have other options. It adds strategy, you can purposely aim for a gun turret to try and knock it out. Realistic and adds gameplay depth, I like it.

tell that to CVs. one battle in my Akizuki, a CV came at me w/ rockets, 1 salvo, both back turrets and my single torp launcher destroyed. next salvo wrecks my B turret, leaving me with 1 functioning player-controlled armament.

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles
4 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I've heard it mentioned a few times that without the already existing acceleration/deceleration buffs we have, it would take HMS Hood at least twenty minutes to reach full speed from a dead stop and likely longer than that to reach a stop without going full reverse. I'd say we have already broken the laws of physics more than enough as it is. Unless we want to do something like a Mass Effect crossover, I don't see an accel/deccel buff coming anytime soon.

Soooo you guys are failing to see the big picture here, my objective is fun! Idgaf about real world physics. It's already an arcade style shooter, so let's just up the arcadey'ness a tad. Eh eh?

[CSWLN]
Members
81 posts
12,508 battles
5 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Turret control independantly is not possible in this game, I would have used them and fought the ship far more effectively if I had local turret control. Set them each on a given bearing ready to engage a enemy in sequence and in less time than it takes to pull a 180 battle turn which is one of my ways to work around the turret traverse [edited].

It is standard to use a module to prevent destruction of guns etc. If you have no guns left you are a target and sunk. Even the mighty Bismarck had her guns battered into silence as the crews were maimed, killed or burned etc and trauma applied to them under turret armor until they cannot function anymore. And so the guns get silenced. When any enemy sees this they know the end is near for that ship.

I simply ram the ship into the island. Instant stop. Especially in the mino with smoke as a large DD. Problem solved. Its cheating in a way but it's the only way to get stopped. If I had to I'll ram a Bot and accept the two game tk penalty in order to force the ship to come around faster or get stopped in battle.

Thats called division. You can form a division in a map and keep going if you found playtime buddies who like you and do well together. Isnt that romatic. //tease. What I generally do when I run across really good teammates who for one reason or another did well with me or others they get added to contact list. What I dont do is bother them about the future game. We will see them again at some point.

So you used a mod. Awesome. I don't do mods. The game gives you whatever it gives you. If you like it great. Enjoy. If not? There are other games.

Torp is part of the outer circle when you are equipped with them. Sometimes they don't go out as far. Hydro is also listed on the ships that have them. And radar is well known among the few ships that have them (Alaska, Petro etc) If you are trying to say that you want infromation on a enemy ship and what it is carrying in those terms, use a ledger pad and write down the specific information. Refresh your memory and get better at learning which ships can do what and how far. Sometimes in battle its the difference between being able to deal with a enemy who is now right there and closing or getting sunk or detected etc and then sunk. The presence of radar ships in a game map whatever mode changes my early decisions at battle start. The presence of human carriers do the same thing. My resulting behavior with the ship in game may not fit the approved narrative or even comply with what is "Expected" its simply a self preservation and not getting detected or sunk early on. It will make a difference later on. As kirk once said in Star Trek Two after disabling the Reliant with her own ship codes from the fleet registry ":You gotta know how these starships work" to pull a win out of a no win scenario against Kahn.

The turret thing is v situational and only really necessary with BBs or CLs with slow guns. I also use the locking ability quite a bit and have developed a play style around it. It might cause more problems to have the rear turrets lock in a different position than the front, but we'll never know until it's tested. 

Yes I know divisions are a thing, but what I'm suggesting is an easier way to achieve this via the post battle screen. Essentially streamlining the current clunky process which takes multiple steps and turning it into one click. 

I was speaking specifically about the range of OTHER ships radar/ hydro/ torps. I know this is available as a mod but I'm just suggesting that it becomes a clickable option in the battle interface settings.

Edited by Young_Gatsu