Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

Sad to say...

23 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,888 battles

The cost of moving commanders is just too much. 500 doubloons to retrain a 19 point commander! The only result for me is that I hardly play line ships any more. Some fine boats just sit in port.  That is kind of sad. I think we would see a lot more diversity on the maps if it were easier to play the odd line ship once in a while. But if I want to play my Lighting (great boat), which currently has no commander, I either commit to a grind to retrain a commander or I spend a boatload of dubs. No real way to just load her up for a few fun games. FUBAR if you ask me.  

Edited by handybilly
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,333 posts
10,021 battles

Am I missing something? That's always been the case.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
876 posts
4 minutes ago, handybilly said:

The cost of moving commanders is just too much. 500 doubloons to retrain a 19 point commander! The only result for me is that I hardly play line ships any more. Some fine boats just sit in port.  That is kind of sad. I think we would see a lot more diversity on the maps if it were easier to play the odd line ship once in a while. But if I want to play my Lighting (great boat), which currently has no commander, I either commit to a grind to retrain a commander or I spend a boatload of dubs. No real way to just load her up for a few fun games. FUBAR if you ask me.  

You could put a 6 point captain aboard her for only 900,000 credits. That's a three skill captain, which isn't horrible. You'd have PM, LS, and SE which is not a bad deal and perfectly workable. No dubs spent at all.

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,888 battles

You are somewhat right as some ships are playable without CE but in a DD I do not feel comfortable without CE and PT.  and that means a 12 point commander. It is like going into battle without any clothes on...

• Sad 1

[_I_]
Members
341 posts

Too late now, I suppose, but during the respec holiday I just posted my best commanders to my favourite  tech tree ships. From there they can hop aboard any premium, and recall to their home ship free gratis.

If they ever offer another free respec, you might consider it.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,888 battles

Low tier and I feel OK with little in the way of commander skills as I feel that my experience can compensate a bit. But higher tiers is a different story.   But still, If it only cost 50 or 100 dubs to retrain then I would be ship hopping and even playing ships that I don't feel are very strong just because I could. And in the end because I am hopping from ship to ship more often would probably be spending the same amount of dubs over the long run. I think there would be a lot more diversity as a result and that is a good thing 

• Sad 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
3 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Low tier and I feel OK with little in the way of commander skills as I feel that my experience can compensate a bit. But higher tiers is a different story.   But still, If it only cost 50 or 100 dubs to retrain then I would be ship hopping and even playing ships that I don't feel are very strong just because I could. And in the end because I am hopping from ship to ship more often would probably be spending the same amount of dubs over the long run. I think there would be a lot more diversity as a result and that is a good thing 

then make a reasonable request in the right forum...

complaining about it even when it has been this way for years doesn't tend to work all that well.

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,888 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

then make a reasonable request in the right forum...

complaining about it even when it has been this way for years doesn't tend to work all that well.

Thanks, you were a great help. I feel so much better now. 

[CO-OP]
Members
2,849 posts
28,463 battles

The only other option is to re-assign the captain to the tech tree ship, and then work off the CXP training in a premium ship.  A 19-point captain would be 125K CXP, a 12-pt captain would only be 20K.

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

I concur with OP. WG is probably used to earn enough on these transactions (500 dubs = $2 per click) to not want to give it up. But the latest skills update and having hundreds of ships defeats the old business model. No way I am paying 500 dubs every time I need to take out a line ship that has no commander.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
7 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

I concur with OP. WG is probably used to earn enough on these transactions (500 dubs = $2 per click) to not want to give it up. But the latest skills update and having hundreds of ships defeats the old business model. No way I am paying 500 dubs every time I need to take out a line ship that has no commander.

you don't have to tho... 

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles
4 minutes ago, SKurj said:

you don't have to tho... 

You mean sail w/o cmdr? Nah. That's not an option for me either.

[PVE]
Members
10,927 posts
18,924 battles

I will never spend money moving captains around and I used a lot of my EXP to do so in the past. That will not happen anymore, so now I can devote all of my EXP to captains points and even though the captains are all on tech tree ships, in all reality, I pretty much only use them on premium ships anymore.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts

I have never moved captains around between line ships.  It's a constant waste of xp (or money), that would add up to a lot over time.  Lines ships that I want to play often, I grind up the captain on so they have the points they need. 

I do this in their ship, in a premium ship, or using elite captain xp, whichever makes the most sense for each situation.  With the ability for a captain to now use ANY premium ship of the nation, we actually have more options for this than we did before. 

For example if it's very important for your DD captain to have concealment and you don't want to play without it, perhaps you have a premium cruiser or BB for that nation that he could grind up the points in, that doesn't need those extra points to be effective.  Once the needed points are acquired, then just move the captain back to their line ship and you never have to pay to move that captain.

I make sure to use the 50% daily bonus on all more important premium ships, every day (or as often as possible for your situation).  It really starts to solve a lot of problems, over time. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

is this really about the cost to retrain one captain to a different ship or is it about the cost to retrain 100

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,233 posts
11,230 battles

3 hours ago, handybilly said:

If I was playing the RN DD, and if I had a Lightning and I was enjoying it, I would leave the captain on it.

If I wanted to get the tier 9, I would find a (new) captain for that. 

By Keeping the captain on the lightning I can still play the Lightning and other RN prem ships.

Ships I enjoy, I keep the commander on as, as it WILL COST ME to remove that captain and retain for another tech tree ship.  Yes, it will also cost me (time) to train a new captain, but now I have 2 ships and more options of ships to play,  As above, yes some ships need 10 points to be competitive.  However, most of my games are randoms.  In randoms, not everyone will have camo, or flags or 21 point captains or fully upgraded ships.  We all have to start somewhere.

CW is completely different and I will take the best/ship/crew etc for that.

[RLGN]
Members
15,672 posts
27,410 battles
2 hours ago, Burnsy said:

I have never moved captains around between line ships.  It's a constant waste of xp (or money), that would add up to a lot over time.  Lines ships that I want to play often, I grind up the captain on so they have the points they need.

Pretty much this.

Few points or a lot of points, tree or premium, pretty much all of my ships have a captain.

No muss, no fuss, and the whole can be on four ships thing was meaningless to me.

If someone is complaining about having to pay 500 doubloons to put a skilled driver back into a tree ship; then maybe they shouldn’t have been so quick to convert all their... ‘unneeded/extra’ captains into E-xp?

[SALVO]
Members
26,136 posts
29,178 battles
4 hours ago, handybilly said:

You should be able to move commanders while spending only Elite Commander's XP and not gold to get it done.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

i AM moving captains, in my case my highest sp captains move up the line and i dump a 3 pt'er or something in the ship he left behind if i decide its a keeper...

not having 19pt'ers this only made sense...  and at the low sp it's cheap...  either in xp to retrain or dubs if i feelin lazy

[WOLFG]
Members
32,333 posts
10,021 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

You should be able to move commanders while spending only Elite Commander's XP and not gold to get it done.

You can. I just did it.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,333 posts
10,021 battles
14 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i AM moving captains, in my case my highest sp captains move up the line and i dump a 3 pt'er or something in the ship he left behind if i decide its a keeper...

Same. If you play the ship a lot, then you'll grind up your captain. If not, no harm no foul.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,888 battles
On 2/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, madgiecool said:

If I was playing the RN DD, and if I had a Lightning and I was enjoying it, I would leave the captain on it.

If I wanted to get the tier 9, I would find a (new) captain for that. 

By Keeping the captain on the lightning I can still play the Lightning and other RN prem ships.

Ships I enjoy, I keep the commander on as, as it WILL COST ME to remove that captain and retain for another tech tree ship.  Yes, it will also cost me (time) to train a new captain, but now I have 2 ships and more options of ships to play,  As above, yes some ships need 10 points to be competitive.  However, most of my games are randoms.  In randoms, not everyone will have camo, or flags or 21 point captains or fully upgraded ships.  We all have to start somewhere.

CW is completely different and I will take the best/ship/crew etc for that.

This makes some sense but I would on occasion like to play all the ships once in a while. And I think it would be better for the game if all of us did. But I am just not going to throw a captain and retrain him/her just to play a few battles in a line ship. It is just not worth it. Now for 50 dubs I would do it all the time. And, WG will probably make as much money from me in the end. It also gets expensive grinding a line for research points as you have to move captains into all of the ships for the grind. I  have to grind the Neptune to get to the Monitaur but am not will to pay 500 dubs per to put a captain in each. So I just have to wait for the free XP in order to buy my way through the Neptune. No fun in that. I would like to play the Neptune. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this