You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

At a Coal Impasse

29 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,318 battles

Coming around to coal investment time again. With the commander rework making special commanders all the more “special” I think it would be a good investment to pick up Lutjens, Kuznetsov, or Aubenyau (butchered this one sorry). However, with the announcement of Marco Polo and with Flint still in the armory (not interested in Z-44 or Yoshino) I am stuck deciding what I should invest my coal into. I am enjoying Lepanto and wouldn’t mind a BB trainer (don’t have Roma but do have GC). If you were in my position what would you spend your hard earned coal on?

[KWF]
Members
5,801 posts
7,013 battles

Personally? Nothing. The less info there is on tweaks to the skill rework, the less I want to spend any coal on anything. A ship/commander that may perform well under the current meta may end up useless a few months down the line depending on the whims of WG. Hold onto the coal, wait for things to normalize somewhat.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles

I'd sit on it for now.

I have enough coal at the moment to get any coal ship in the Armory with or without a coupon, but there are too many incoming unknowns in terms of both resource and cost, e.g.

Leone (I wonder if she won't be sold, then later made a coal ship the way Aigle was).

Marco Polo.

Vampire 2.

While Lutjens seems like a very good investment for me given my broad range of German premiums (all four of BB, CL, DD and CV) and his broad range of talents, I want to know what some of the other desirable ships are going for before I commit a large chunk of coal that I can't discount.

• Boring 1

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,307 battles

While I don't have Flint, it seems like she kinda got the shaft in the rework. Yes, she has smoke instead of Atlanta's radar,  but shes basically a gimped Atlanta at this point.

You didn't mention Salem, its one of my favorites as far as coal ships go.

Personally I am sitting on enough coal to buy anything in the armory and I am holding off until I see how things are going to shake out. Well, unless Black makes an appearance. If that happens I'm throwing coal at it before the ink on the announcement is dry.

If you are considering commanders, and have the spots for them, they are never really a bad investment. Even if the special skills aren't particularly useful in whatever ship they are in they are still at least as good as a regular captain. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts

don't buy flint...  by doing so you validate that it's current coal price is fair.. which i don't believe :)

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,318 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

While I don't have Flint, it seems like she kinda got the shaft in the rework. Yes, she has smoke instead of Atlanta's radar,  but shes basically a gimped Atlanta at this point.

You didn't mention Salem, its one of my favorites as far as coal ships go.

Personally I am sitting on enough coal to buy anything in the armory and I am holding off until I see how things are going to shake out. Well, unless Black makes an appearance. If that happens I'm throwing coal at it before the ink on the announcement is dry.

If you are considering commanders, and have the spots for them, they are never really a bad investment. Even if the special skills aren't particularly useful in whatever ship they are in they are still at least as good as a regular captain. 

Didn’t mention Salem because I already have her. Same with Black.

[SGSS]
Members
5,763 posts
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

Coming around to coal investment time again. With the commander rework making special commanders all the more “special” I think it would be a good investment to pick up Lutjens, Kuznetsov, or Aubenyau (butchered this one sorry). However, with the announcement of Marco Polo and with Flint still in the armory (not interested in Z-44 or Yoshino) I am stuck deciding what I should invest my coal into. I am enjoying Lepanto and wouldn’t mind a BB trainer (don’t have Roma but do have GC). If you were in my position what would you spend your hard earned coal on?

I have been wondering about the captains as well but ships seem so much better.

Salem is amazing.  Stealth, range mod of 18 and a super heal it got my through sprint.

[PHD]
Members
231 posts
11,611 battles

I bought Lazo this week and it seems like a pretty good tier 7 cruiser. 12x 152mm guns that reload in 8 seconds, reasonable armour and speed, for 80K coal it's not a bad buy in my opinion.

[SRBL]
Members
541 posts
14,253 battles

I have Flint, with the rework she got screwed. I was sitting on 800K coal and grabbed Lutjens since I'm doing the KM DD line and then will move to the BB line and you can activate his talents fairly easily. I personally think he's the best of the unique captains with Luigi being second with how easy it is to activate their talents and the respective bonuses they provide. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles

I agree that it is a good time to just stay put and gather resources. Nothing is in danger of being removed so there is no rush. That said, if you do not have a legendary captain, it may be a good time to get one and start grinding them up. The extra bonuses they have coupled with the skill rework ability to have builds for all 4 types of ships, makes them a very valuable asset. I even used 10k of steel to get my hands on Lutjens a short while ago and already have him within 8k xp of 21 points. 

The big questions you must answer for yourself is how long will it take you to replace what you spend, do you really need more premiums or is there something you must have to fill a specific hole in your fleet, and what immediate goals do you have in mind. 

[A-D-F]
8,768 posts

I am kind of in the same boat.  The only special captain that I don't have is Kuznetsov and I am going to get him for sure.  I am holding off though because there is a lot of moving pieces right now and I want to see how things shake out first.

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
2 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Coming around to coal investment time again. With the commander rework making special commanders all the more “special” I think it would be a good investment to pick up Lutjens, Kuznetsov, or Aubenyau (butchered this one sorry)

I was in the same dilemma about 10 days ago, lots of coal not sure what to spend it on, given that I already have so many ships (most of which I don't play) and given that I have been having a blast playing my Z-46 in Randoms and Scharnhorst, T-61, Mainz and Munchen in CoOP and Operations, I decided to buy Lutjens and it was a GREAT decision, I've got him up to 20 points (halfway to 21) and I'm just pleased as can be with the special talents (which proc A LOT) and the added visual effects.

I'm saving up to get Cunningham next for my UK Light Cruisers. 

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

The decision was made easier for me to get the Commanders.  I have plenty of ships for them and since I can use them on multiple ships it was a no brainer.  I now have 8 uniques and more specials.

I got the last 2 a couple of weeks ago.. already have them up to 13pnts each and they are VERY much worth it.  When Lutjens Seconds kick in you will LOL Kutz has won me a few battles I would have lost with is last minute help as well.

A Great Commander makes a Great ship awesome and average ships Good!

They are worth it.

• Cool 1

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
4 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

The decision was made easier for me to get the Commanders.  I have plenty of ships for them and since I can use them on multiple ships it was a no brainer.  I now have 8 uniques and more specials.

I got the last 2 a couple of weeks ago.. already have them up to 13pnts each and they are VERY much worth it.  When Lutjens Seconds kick in you will LOL Kutz has won me a few battles I would have lost with is last minute help as well.

A Great Commander makes a Great ship awesome and average ships Good!

They are worth it.

8 unique commanders, Holy Cow! that's awesome! must have taken quite a bit of time to accumulate that many.

Well done.:cap_like:

• Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
509 posts
11,733 battles

I agree. I am sitting on my coal not only because I want to have enough to purchase whatever ship I want at a moments notice, there are too many changes happening in the game.

[X-PN]
Members
1,588 posts
12,186 battles
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

don't buy flint...  by doing so you validate that it's current coal price is fair.. which i don't believe :)

I find 168k nearly reasonable.... and at the same time any price is unreasonable because the ship was just nerfed into oblivion....and for no good reason.  It's stats were already in free fall before 10.0 since being release from it's steel/ranked monopoly.  It's one of the worst examples of nerfing that WG has ever done and it's completely insulting to everybody who spent resources on it before 10.0.

BTW - I have enough coal to get anything there right now.... I'm sitting on it for now.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[WOLFG]
Members
32,294 posts
10,021 battles
3 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

I'd wait until MP is released, and decide then.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
4 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I find 168k nearly reasonable.... and at the same time any price is unreasonable because the ship was just nerfed into oblivion....and for no good reason.  It's stats were already in free fall before 10.0 since being release from it's steel/ranked monopoly.  It's one of the worst examples of nerfing that WG has ever done and it's completely insulting to everybody who spent resources on it before 10.0.

BTW - I have enough coal to get anything there right now.... I'm sitting on it for now.

i think the price is over inflated and sends the wrong message when a similar tiered ship beside it in the armory is half the price. 

but this is just my opinion.

[-K-]
[-K-]
7,691 posts
10,119 battles

Flint is awful now. Avoid.

And yeah, as others said, I'd sit on the coal for now.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,533 posts

Flint is a POS. They threw that into Somers old spot.

Somers is not that common thankfully. There are those who know how to fight with one.

Commanders do not have that much influence in the ship on the battle. You have to run some achievements to trigger a temporary use of a talent. To me they don't trigger that often. (Coop etc) I own a few however am not that pulled into the orbit to get the rest of them. They'll keep.

[WOLF9]
Members
456 posts

Just over 400k coal now but I'll wait a little longer to see what else drops semi-soon (before the coupon expires in June).  Sure wish I could convert the coal to steel, if not just for a couple grand more of steel.

[X-PN]
Members
1,588 posts
12,186 battles
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Flint is a POS. They threw that into Somers old spot.

Somers is not that common thankfully. There are those who know how to fight with one.thank

Commanders do not have that much influence in the ship on the battle. You have to run some achievements to trigger a temporary use of a talent. To me they don't trigger that often.

Depends on the commander... Lutgens reliad buff on Mainz or Hindy will get activated on most battles that you do decent in.  Kuznetsov's heal in Kremlin will often active as you get close to sunk.  Sansonetti range buff in Venezia isnt too hard either.  On the other hand, some uniquecommander base skills were eliminated in the great skill nerf of 10.0.... and special skills dont work in clan so on CB some of these commander are no better Captain Dasha or any of the plain jane commanders.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
5 hours ago, WaywardVariable said:

8 unique commanders, Holy Cow! that's awesome! must have taken quite a bit of time to accumulate that many.

Technically speaking, if you were around at the right times and played hard enough/were blessed enough with RNG, you could have seven of those without paying a single scrap of coal or anything else.

Aubuoyneau, Kuznetsov, Yamamoto, Halsey, Sansonetti, Swirski and Cunningham either still can (Halsey, Yama) or on previous occasions could (the rest) be won in-game. 

Jack Dunkirk and Jean-Jacques Honore, who were on a separate level (enhanced skills but no special talents) were previously event prizes (if you pulled enough crates in the events) and are now available via collections that can be completed for coal (as can Sansonetti).

The only one that I can't remember ever being an event prize was Lutjens. I think he's the only one that everyone who wants him had to pay coal for. 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,059 posts
8,293 battles
8 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

If you're not interested in Neustra, which is supposed to come down from that post Steel Legends price in awhile, then the big wait would be for Marco Polo. Assuming WG lets her be bought for coal, anyway. Those two are the ones I have my eyes on, anyway. I personally wouldn't spend on captains while the skill rework is still being balanced.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,207 posts
12,777 battles
8 hours ago, SKurj said:

If Flint was free, her price still wouldn't be validated with that 11.1km range on t9 maps in t9 battles :etc_red_button: