Snargfargle

This is How Science Works

24 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts

This video presents an excellent example of how scientists obtain answers to questions. While the general public was speculating on the origins of this extraterrestrial object, the scientists were busy determining exactly what it was.

The Mysterious Return Of NASA's Centaur Rocket - YouTube

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles

Nice find, now if we can get people to understand how science works on COVID and the vaccines.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts
58 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Nice find, now if we can get people to understand how science works on COVID and the vaccines.

Someone recently called into a medical channel saying that he'd rather not see vaccines distributed as they were full of chemicals but instead maybe the doctors could use his idea, which was to just inject a little part of a virus so that the body could naturally produce its own defenses. The doctor answering the questions looked like he was going to cry. I learned the basic facts about vaccines in sixth grade. Now the kids are probably taught that vaccines are tools of colonial oppressors and then taken to a rally where they can help topple a statue of Edward Jenner. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Someone recently called into a medical channel saying that he'd rather not see vaccines distributed as they were full of chemicals but instead maybe the doctors could use his idea, which was to just inject a little part of a virus so that the body could naturally produce its own defenses. The doctor answering the questions looked like he was going to cry. I learned the basic facts about vaccines in sixth grade. Now the kids are probably taught that vaccines are tools of colonial oppressors and then taken to a rally where they can help topple a statue of Edward Jenner. 

It is scary how much anti-science idiocy there is out there.

I however believe in science and am getting shot on Sunday.

Edited by BrushWolf

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles
29 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is because people nowadays are being taught what to think and not how to think. It makes them susceptible to all sorts of nonsense. Critical thinking is in short supply and it shows in our culture. 

Personally I like science and trust in the idea of it but I never trust all science. Remember it was science that said that the shape of a human head determined intelligence, moving faster than 20mph would kill a human being, and gave us thalidomide. Science has had some real doozies and that is why there is a rigorous testing program for new vaccines & drugs, something that has not been done with any of the Covid vaccines. Since I am at little risk of dying of the virus, will take my chances with it. 

Just in case someone thinks I am an anti vaccine person, I get an annual flu shot, pneumovax, and have been vaccinated for almost every conceivable disease known to man. I even participated in the early heptavax vaccine program. But even I have my limits. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

That is because people nowadays are being taught what to think and not how to think. It makes them susceptible to all sorts of nonsense. Critical thinking is in short supply and it shows in our culture. 

Personally I like science and trust in the idea of it but I never trust all science. Remember it was science that said that the shape of a human head determined intelligence, moving faster than 20mph would kill a human being, and gave us thalidomide. Science has had some real doozies and that is why there is a rigorous testing program for new vaccines & drugs, something that has not been done with any of the Covid vaccines. Since I am at little risk of dying of the virus, will take my chances with it. 

Sadly this is more politics than anything else but I don't want to go farther than that here.

Edited by BrushWolf

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,665 posts
25,149 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Sadly this is more politics than anything else but I don't want to go farther than that here.

Education is not or should not be political but ok. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Education is not or should not be political but ok. 

Also sadly it has become part of politics.

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

its not the Science I am worried about... Its the batch maker of the formula...

Back in the Spanish flu times... There were a lot of death because of the formulation of the vaccine, in the first batch..

Its not meant to instill fear in you wolfy, instead.. You're braver then must of the population...

GL

Edited by Navalpride33

[NFFS]
Members
248 posts
7,710 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I however believe in science and am getting the shot on Sunday.

There, fixed it for ya. 

Sorry - did a real double-take when I saw that.

Getting shot is what happens when your light cruiser shows a flat broadside to a red battlewagon.

Edited by Grey_Paladin
  • Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,805 posts
10,952 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This video presents an excellent example of how scientists obtain answers to questions. While the general public was speculating on the origins of this extraterrestrial object, the scientists were busy determining exactly what it was.

The Mysterious Return Of NASA's Centaur Rocket - YouTube

Of course, without all that fancy equipment, most of us could only speculate anyways.

I think I regret not going in to a field where I could look at stuff in space and figure out what it is made of.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Of course, without all that fancy equipment, most of us could only speculate anyways.

I think I regret not going in to a field where I could look at stuff in space and figure out what it is made of.

What amazes me is that scientists down through the years have developed technology that allows us to point a telescope at an object the size of a school bus that's 500,000 miles away and say, "It's made of 301 stainless steel and here's why." This is why I have problems with people who cherry pick a relatively few instances where scientific investigation has gone down the wrong path and then and say that science in general has "failed."

[WOLFG]
Members
11,805 posts
10,952 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

What amazes me is that scientists down through the years have developed technology that allows us to point a telescope at an object the size of a school bus that's 500,000 miles away and say, "It's made of 301 stainless steel and here's why." This is why I have problems with people who cherry pick a relatively few instances where scientific investigation has gone down the wrong path and then and say that science in general has "failed."

I think people see all these wonderful things that have been created and don't realize that there were usually several failures before the final product was created.

[WOLF7]
Members
876 posts
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Wear blindfold or no? Do you vish a last zigarette? 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I think people see all these wonderful things that have been created and don't realize that there were usually several failures before the final product was created.

What the general populace doesn't understand is that "failure" is an inherent part of the scientific process. Unless one is simply performing a basic observational study, almost all scientific experimentation involves trial and error. Using current theory as a basis, you develop a hypothesis then test it, trying to prove it wrong. If you falsify your hypothesis then you modify it and then test it again until your tentative explanation is robust enough to withstand further testing, upon which time you publish your conclusions and let the scientific community in general test them. If nobody can prove your explanation wrong then it's incorporated into a theory that then can be used as the basis for new scientific investigation.

The development of the incandescent light bulb shows how science works.

• 1802, Humphry Davy discovers that electrical current can make a carbon filament glow bright enough to produce usable light. However, the light was short-lived and not practical for general use.
  • 1840, Warren de la Rue used a platinum filament in a partial vacuum tube to produce a longer-lived light. However, the cost of platinum made the device economically prohibitive.
  • 1850, Joseph Wilson Swan found that a carbon filament in a vacuum tube made for a usable and economical light. However, a complete vacuum could not be obtained at the time and thus the filaments were still relatively short-lived.
  • 1874, Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans used the relatively inert gas, nitrogen, in place of a vacuum and developed the first practical light bulb. However, they weren't successful at marketing their invention as nobody had electric service yet and thus sold their patent to Thomas Edison, who then made it economical to produce and successfully manufactured and marketed it in the 1880s along with providing power service.

Edison no more "invented" the light bulb than Gates "invented" the computer operating system.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,773 posts
4,771 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I didn't realize the mobs of the Cultural Revolution were taking such drastic measures!  It's been good knowing you. 

Now where's that extra ammunition?

• Funny 1

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

What an idiot. 

SHH! LOUIS PASTEUR IS WATCHING YOU!

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
16 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I didn't realize the mobs of the Cultural Revolution were taking such drastic measures!  It's been good knowing you. 

Now where's that extra ammunition?

The cultural revolution was not actually funded by the Chinese government. In fact, a premier was actually framed for it.

(not Mao. I get this weird feeling people think Mao is still the leader of China, LOL)

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Link, can I see it?

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,809 battles

10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Now the kids are probably taught that vaccines are tools of colonial oppressors and then taken to a rally where they can help topple a statue of Edward Jenner. 

Not where I go to school. In my classes I get taught really really interesting stuff free naptime because I covered all the class material 2 years ago in my free time. 

10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

and am getting shot the COVID vaccine on Sunday.

corrected. 

Edited by AdmiralFox08

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,907 posts
14,882 battles
34 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

corrected. 

I was attempting to be funny.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts
2 hours ago, Lose_dudes said:

Link, can I see it?

I really don't know about anyone toppling a stature of Edward Jenner per se but they definitely have toppled statues of Thomas Jefferson (just google it). How is Jefferson related to all this? Hearing of Jenner's success in vaccinating for smallpox, Jefferson set up the National Vaccine Institute and appointed Jenner as one of its agents. Jefferson had the members of the Lewis and Clark expedition vaccinated against smallpox so that they wouldn't spread it on their journey.

The knowledge of how to vaccinate against smallpox probably has saved more lives than any other single advancement in medicine. In the 20th century alone, it's estimated that over 300 million people died of smallpox. However, due to an international program of vaccination that started in 1959, the disease has been eradicated worldwide and children no longer need to be vaccinated against it. The last naturally-occurring outbreak of smallpox was in 1977.

Edited by Snargfargle

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
969 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I really don't know about anyone toppling a stature of Edward Jenner per se but they definitely have toppled statues of Thomas Jefferson (just google it). How is Jefferson related to all this? Hearing of Jenner's success in vaccinating for smallpox, Jefferson set up the National Vaccine Institute and appointed Jenner as one of its agents. Jefferson had the members of the Lewis and Clark expedition vaccinated against smallpox so that they wouldn't spread it on their journey.

The knowledge of how to vaccinate against smallpox probably has saved more lives than any other single advancement in medicine. In the 20th century alone, it's estimated that over 300 million people died of smallpox. However, doe to an international program of vaccination that started in 1959, the disease has been eradicated worldwide and children no longer need to be vaccinated against it. The last naturally-occurring outbreak of smallpox was in 1977.

I mean about the guy who told the doctor about his idea

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,491 posts
Just now, Lose_dudes said:

I mean about the guy who told the doctor about his idea

Oh, that was on some medical call-in show on YouTube. I saw it while just surfing around and don't have the link. I saw it referenced on the news the other day though so its fairly recent.