You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Defeated... Mission Failed: Albemarle Ranked

24 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles

This sprint, I undertook the challenge of Ranking out in Albemarle. Alas, after being stuck in Rank 2 since Sunday I lost my nerve after something like 20 matches in a row without being able to pull 2 victories straight... I was even able to save my star numerous times:

7RXu4Xq.jpg

bVTwTx9.jpg

2Vvn2kh.jpg

GGXZCUN.jpg

7RXu4Xq.jpg

I expected to conclude this story differently but my patience ran out and I decided to cheat that final star with a DD match, easy peasy carry right... oh boy I was so wrong...

m8fSuKB.jpg

w2Ixbkd.jpg

9W1Ouc5.jpg

LCZI3mb.jpg

More straight defeats, even with my try hard cap I wasn't able to push those teams to victory, my hair was turning gray, my nerves were breaking... finally, after something like 30 games bouncing in Rank 2 since I first reached it, I managed to win that last victory. 

Oh Albemarle, I've failed you. It is not your fault, you did your job but the task was too hard for you and I had not enough patience... I lost my faith and denied you that last victory. You brought me safely to Rank 2 but that single last victory was denied to us time after time, it was not meant to be. Maybe next sprint... maybe. 

9jjzJrO.jpg

Now I need some detox from the ordeal, and prepare myself for the next sprint and consider my next horrible ship pick.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,469 posts

That is a normal ranked experience.

Dozens of defeats saddled by a tantilizing victory that could have been.

Some of us walk away from that crap. Its not necessary.

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
7,826 posts
23,766 battles
5 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

This sprint, I undertook the challenge of Ranking out in Albemarle. Alas, after being stuck in Rank 2 since Sunday I lost my nerve after something like 20 matches in a row without being able to pull 2 victories straight... I was even able to save my star numerous times:

7RXu4Xq.jpg

bVTwTx9.jpg

2Vvn2kh.jpg

GGXZCUN.jpg

7RXu4Xq.jpg

I expected to conclude this story differently but my patience ran out and I decided to cheat that final star with a DD match, easy peasy carry right... oh boy I was so wrong...

m8fSuKB.jpg

w2Ixbkd.jpg

9W1Ouc5.jpg

LCZI3mb.jpg

More straight defeats, even with my try hard cap I wasn't able to push those teams to victory, my hair was turning gray, my nerves were breaking... finally, after something like 30 games bouncing in Rank 2 since I first reached it, I managed to win that last victory. 

Oh Albemarle, I've failed you. It is not your fault, you did your job but the task was too hard for you and I had not enough patience... I lost my faith and denied you that last victory. You brought me safely to Rank 2 but that single last victory was denied to us time after time, it was not meant to be. Maybe next sprint... maybe. 

9jjzJrO.jpg

Now I need some detox from the ordeal, and prepare myself for the next sprint and consider my next horrible ship pick.

Valiant effort...was fun catching the updates on the progress since you started.

I've been going w/the Kagero & after 3 losses in a row at rank 10 had a straight win streak to rank 5 & been bouncing back & forth from rank 4 & 5.

Got the 12th win tonight in my last battle & plan on just farming the low hanging bronze fruit this season as I don't think I'll have the patience to grind out rank 1 in silver each sprint...but will finish to rank 1 before the season is over.

Will probably pull the trigger on boosting my Mogami commander & bring the IFHE into play in a guaranteed meta where it won't be wasted by me ending up top tier.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

It was still an impressive challenge and attempt ... I also had fun hearing your updates.  Sometimes you get the bear ... :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
875 posts

@ArIskandir 

Well played, good effort. Fun fact, on the NA server, the Albemarle is 6th out of 27 ships (Tier 8 cruisers) in overall win rate and is in third place by win rate when it comes to tech tree ships. No superstar bote, but just a solid damage dealer, supporting the team.

image.thumb.png.73c9e1c3c30543694c3fac807e83738c.png

Edited by HamAndCheez

[UNC]
Members
904 posts
6,319 battles

Oof.  That's a special kind of sadistic.  I don't know if I should congratulate you or offer sympathy.  I know I never would have made it.  I barely made it as is using mostly Pommern with a few games in Neustrashimy thrown in for good measure.  I'm still in qualifiers for Silver and am not even sure I want to move forward... but I want the steel.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
9 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

@ArIskandir 

Well played, good effort. Fun fact, on the NA server, the Albemarle is 6th out of 27 ships in overall win rate and is in third place by win rate when it comes to tech tree ships. No superstar bote, but just a solid damage dealer, supporting the team.

image.thumb.png.73c9e1c3c30543694c3fac807e83738c.png

Thanks,
I do believe Albemarle is a good, solid ship and I'm not surprised she sports solid numbers... I'm under the impression the less skilled players avoid playing her (with reason, she's not easy to use) so I'm not really surprised about the numbers being on the higher side. Contrary to the popular belief, I find her to be incredibly survivable, that heal is really trolly.

The problem I find with Albemarle in the current Ranked environment is she is ill suited to really carry a game, she's an excellent support ship, a trustworthy sidekick but not the superhero able to bend reality to her will. The already limited DPM value is further hampered by the fact she's operating against a heavy BB comp, many of them with overmatch capabilities so the opportunities to engage and trade safely are limited, she won't be delivering outstanding amounts of damage in Ranked. Though she can deliver heavy punishment to DDs, she lack the radar utility to be an active DD hunter, you are limited to ambush or zone out the DDs. Albemarle speed is on the low side, that's another limit to her flexibility and potential flexing skill in Ranked, if you need to flex flanks odds are you be arriving too late, by the same token if you need to extract from a bad spot it becomes really difficult when most BBs match or surpass your speed. 

Albemarle can be a solid team player and support ship, but she's highly dependent on having some team to work with, by herself is exceedingly difficult to carry matched against T9 BBs and even securing your star is really difficult unless your team is full potato. The DDs will harvest the cap points and your potential damage will usually be lower than the BBs, your best chance to rack XP lies in hurting the DDs but that depends on DDs making mistakes. I found myself in the odd position of longing for CV matches, Albemarle is really good at dealing with CVs and the extra XP from planes kills adds up nicely. 

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
1 hour ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Oof.  That's a special kind of sadistic.  I don't know if I should congratulate you or offer sympathy. 

LOL thanks, both are appreciated. Believe it or not I had a lot of fun during the journey, whatever frustration I had was not really related to the ship.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,776 battles

:Smile_sad:

I got all the loot I could w/o ranking out and didn't go higher than rank 6 the whole time. the t9s in bronze combined with massa secondary nerf makes it so it's not as easy/fun as last season (I ranked out of bronze 2 times last season)

Edited by AdmiralFox08

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
8 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Valiant effort...was fun catching the updates on the progress since you started.

I've been going w/the Kagero & after 3 losses in a row at rank 10 had a straight win streak to rank 5 & been bouncing back & forth from rank 4 & 5.

Got the 12th win tonight in my last battle & plan on just farming the low hanging bronze fruit this season as I don't think I'll have the patience to grind out rank 1 in silver each sprint...but will finish to rank 1 before the season is over.

Will probably pull the trigger on boosting my Mogami commander & bring the IFHE into play in a guaranteed meta where it won't be wasted by me ending up top tier.

I am considering using Mogami at some point for the future sprints, I think it will be even more challenging than Albemarle given the lack of heal. I'm also really tempted to use Kagero but not consider her to be weak, that Concealment value will be almost OP in an environment with few CVs.

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

:Smile_sad:

I got all the loot I could w/o ranking out and didn't go higher than rank 6 the whole time. the t9s in bronze combined with massa secondary nerf makes it so it's not as easy/fun as last season (I ranked out of bronze 2 times last season)

Last season was a lot of fun. If you intend to run T8s this season, I recommend you to reset the parameters for your enjoyment so you could appreciate this season. For me last season was relaxed/easy fun, like a regular beach trip... sun, sand, some splash in the water while enjoying the beautiful ladies in bikini. This season I'm settling for tryhard/challenge fun, like a surf trip to a dangerous beach... it will take effort, you'll need to consider currents, reefs and whatever danger lies there waiting for you. You'll end tired and battered but probably satisfied with the experience and your achievement.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,776 battles
7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Last season was a lot of fun. If you intend to run T8s this season, I recommend you to reset the parameters for your enjoyment so you could appreciate this season. For me last season was relaxed/easy fun, like a regular beach trip... sun, sand, some splash in the water while enjoying the beautiful ladies in bikini. This season I'm settling for tryhard/challenge fun, like a surf trip to a dangerous beach... it will take effort, you'll need to consider currents, reefs and whatever danger lies there waiting for you. You'll end tired and battered but probably satisfied with the experience and your achievement.

Once I can grind enough credits to buy back my Kitakaze, i'll probably rank out i that (I'm a DD/CL main who is attempting to play BBs)

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

Once I can grind enough credits to buy back my Kitakaze, i'll probably rank out i that (I'm a DD/CL main who is attempting to play BBs)

Ranked is a nice place to test new stuff (different stat pool, smaller teams, more predictable comps, etc), don't be afraid of goofing around and just have fun playing and testing ships you don't regularly play.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,776 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Ranked is a nice place to test new stuff (different stat pool, smaller teams, more predictable comps, etc), don't be afraid of goofing around and just have fun playing and testing ships you don't regularly play.

I played my hizen a ton, but even if I run MBM3 (or whatever the one that decreases reload at cost of traverse speed) the reload is just too long for me

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,320 posts
13,158 battles
15 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Oh Albemarle, 

I took on the same challenge, It was not easy, but i did cross the finish line including quals. It was easy to be deleted in her. so being astute was a requirement. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
10 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

I took on the same challenge, It was not easy, but i did cross the finish line including quals. It was easy to be deleted in her. so being astute was a requirement. 

Nice!

You did quals in Albemarle? I don't think that's possible...

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,320 posts
13,158 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't think that's possible...

appears its not... I got my Drake mixed up with the Albemarle. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
2 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

appears its not... I got my Drake mixed up with the Albemarle. 

Lol don't worry, for what I hear Drake is temperamental too :)

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,709 posts
21,756 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Lol don't worry, for what I hear Drake is temperamental too :)

I finished Albemarle in Ranked and then proceeded to grind Drake.

Albemarle was actually better. :Smile_sceptic:

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I finished Albemarle in Ranked and then proceeded to grind Drake.

Albemarle was actually better. :Smile_sceptic:

Man, I really need to try Drake. I've loved the line so far but hear people saying Drake is a departure from her predecessors... That's would be a strong hint that She's worse! 

Members
2,069 posts
12,691 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I am considering using Mogami at some point for the future sprints, I think it will be even more challenging than Albemarle given the lack of heal. I'm also really tempted to use Kagero but not consider her to be weak, that Concealment value will be almost OP in an environment with few CVs.

If you're going for a no heal challenge I'd suggest Chapayev so you at least have some utility.

[SALVO]
Members
6,901 posts
5,447 battles
Just now, Rouxi said:

If you're going for a no heal challenge I'd suggest Chapayev so you at least have some utility.

I've used Chappy, DPM/range is functional, she's faster and has radar (hello stealth radar!). I think she's easier to use (though more limited in applicability), fitting the glass cannon type. I think her gameplay would be somewhat boring and repetitive since the roles she could assume effectively are very limited. Tho, could be an interesting challenge to rank out and minimize Devstrikes suffered but the actual play would be boring and limited to long range spam.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,709 posts
21,756 battles
11 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Man, I really need to try Drake. I've loved the line so far but hear people saying Drake is a departure from her predecessors... That's would be a strong hint that She's worse!

Drake switches from 203s to 234s. As with all caliber increases in this crazy game, WG offsets it with a reduced rate of fire. Better pen and higher alpha compensated by lower DPM, right?

Well. In the case of Albemarle -> Drake, you lose over 15% of your DPM in exchange for an increase in HE pen from 34mm to 59mm, and AP overmatch of 15mm and 16mm plating. The problem is, these are not common thresholds at T9. Literally only relevant to a few center deck plating areas (Alaska, Riga, Musashi, a sliver of Pommern, and so on), and AP overmatch... Neptune. In the end, Drake represents a significant DPM downgrade from Albemarle, without a significant increase in reliability.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,826 posts
23,766 battles
9 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

You'd be surprised the utility of 15 barrels of fire breathing madness...& I dare you to give me a broadside in any cruiser up close ...1 volley (staggered into 9 from up front then finishing off w/the 6 from the back) can delete a full life DM or Moskva if you catch em coming around an island...

I was gonna torp them anyway so decided to see what the AP could do 1 day... couldn't believe the results from the 9...7 cits...had already toggled the 3 for the torps & just toggled it back to the 2 & finished off the DM w/2 more cits. A few days later had the same opportunity w/the Moskva & didn't even waste time toggling after the front 9...